Kill the King (feedback thread)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dugi

Re: Kill the King (feedback thread)

Post by Dugi »

Thanks ^_^

It was designed so that you gain only a very few items and the question is how to distribute them rather what to pick. If the action ended later, the rest would be very predictable.
huginn

Post by huginn »

I tried this nice campaign on Battle for Wesnoth 1.14.1. In the second scenario Violating the Law, only Strigo is present. All other heroes are missing, unlike when playing on version 1.12.
Attachments
Näyttökuva (2).png
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

It is a bug in Wesnoth 1.14. I have released a workaround.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

I wonder what the bug is… is there a report for it?

Anyhow, I came here because I saw there is a typo in the add-on's icon:
20180817 21:40:39 error addons-client: add-on 'Kill_the_King' has an icon which cannot be found: 'images/icons/icons-music.png'
It's icon-music, without s.

Edit: and there's one in LotI:
20180817 22:33:02 error display: ~BLIT(): image not found: 'units/elves-wood/sylph-melee.png'
Try out the dark board theme.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

It could be that some pictures were moved from their locations in 1.14. I will have a look at it.

EDIT: Oh heck, in both cases, the picture was removed.

EDIT #2: Fixed. Legend of the Invincibles had Elvish Sylph replaced by Elvish Sorceress, Kill the King now has a skeleton playing air guitar with his axe instead of that singing skeleton that used to be available in 1.12.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Great campaign that ends much too early.

I've never understood why there is even a choice between levelling to lich or necromancer. The additional necromancer path in this campaign made me want to give it a try. Unfortunately, I didn't even get to the point of making that choice until the last scenario.

Never got enough gems to craft anything. I think I might have found five or six over the whole campaign.
Spoiler:
Thanks for putting the time into creating this. I really like the items menu, and I wish the items->unit information (or something like that) menu was available in all campaigns -- it's a really cool feature.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Sorry for noticing your comment so late.
white_haired_uncle wrote: October 9th, 2018, 1:27 am Great campaign that ends much too early.
I've been criticised for making the campaigns so long that players hoarded so many items that no enemy could face them. So I decided to make a shorter one.
white_haired_uncle wrote: October 9th, 2018, 1:27 am I've never understood why there is even a choice between levelling to lich or necromancer. The additional necromancer path in this campaign made me want to give it a try. Unfortunately, I didn't even get to the point of making that choice until the last scenario.
Necromancer can advance to Grand Necromancer, who can have an ability called necromancy that turns him into a Lich when he dies. He loses advancements and legacies, but he keeps the inventory. So he has some sort of second life. He's also good at plaguing enemies.
white_haired_uncle wrote: October 9th, 2018, 1:27 am Never got enough gems to craft anything. I think I might have found five or six over the whole campaign.
Should I increase their drop rate?
white_haired_uncle wrote: October 9th, 2018, 1:27 am
Spoiler:
No. Their locations are random. It was just a coincidence you found a way to step on so few of them.
white_haired_uncle wrote: October 9th, 2018, 1:27 am Thanks for putting the time into creating this. I really like the items menu, and I wish the items->unit information (or something like that) menu was available in all campaigns -- it's a really cool feature.
You may suggest it somewhere. Actually, that menu looked much worse and provided less informaton, but then somebody (I think it was arobinson) reworked it and gave it that cool look.
white_haired_uncle

I thought the Grand Necromancer was unique to this campaign. That's the path I wanted to try out. If I'm right and the mainline has no GN, I see no reason to choose necromancer over lich.

I would either increase the drop rate for gems in KtK, or just eliminate crafting. As a player, I find it disappointing when there is a cool new toy and I don't get a chance to play with it. Perhaps the drop rate could be based on difficulty, so newer players playing on easy can acquire some cool toys while experienced players will not "get bored". I played on easy, and I thought the game played about right even without crafting anything, so if you were to increase the drop rate I think you'd want to do something to offset that (my gut says it's not worth the effort).
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

white_haired_uncle wrote: October 26th, 2018, 2:07 am I thought the Grand Necromancer was unique to this campaign. That's the path I wanted to try out. If I'm right and the mainline has no GN, I see no reason to choose necromancer over lich.
Yes, he is specific to this campaign and a few others. For mainline, necromancer has plague, lich hasn't. Furthermore, lich is vulnerable to some damage types, making it easy for some enemy groups to kill him. It's campaign specific if lich can advance to ancient lich. Necromancer has no weakness, plus he's resistant to that one damage type that hurts the undead most, and he has a large hitpoint pool.
white_haired_uncle wrote: October 26th, 2018, 2:07 am I would either increase the drop rate for gems in KtK, or just eliminate crafting.
I doubled the drop rate. I haven't uploaded the changes yet.
white_haired_uncle

Hmm, looks like something changed. I just played most of the way through on medium, and I can't remember a single scenario that was anywhere near remotely possible. Well, I did finish the first one without cheating in only 23 of 14 turns. I finally gave up on the last one.

I Calcy supposed to be unable to gain XP?
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 3:35 pm I Calcy supposed to be unable to gain XP?
He can gain XP and get amlas (he's the 1st lvl afaik, yeah)
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
white_haired_uncle

dwarftough wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 3:41 pm
white_haired_uncle wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 3:35 pm I Calcy supposed to be unable to gain XP?
Not so much. I noticed in the intro that Aarron and Mortimer also had XP= -, but starting with the first scenario only Calcy is unable to gain XP.

I've been thinking about pulling out my turntable and digitizing all my vinyl. Might have to start with Rainbow if I can't get that song out of my head.
Attachments
KtK-Violating the Law Turn 1.gz
(135.34 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 4:00 pm
dwarftough wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 3:41 pm
Not so much. I noticed in the intro that Aarron and Mortimer also had XP= -, but starting with the first scenario only Calcy is unable to gain XP.

I've been thinking about pulling out my turntable and digitizing all my vinyl. Might have to start with Rainbow if I can't get that song out of my head.
Indeed. And it works with the old LotI, it seems some LotI change broke it, I'll try to find out
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
egallager

Post by egallager »

Dugi wrote: January 31st, 2016, 12:30 pm
Xara wrote:I just realized I played your campaign with music disabled. The pieces are nice. Are they under CC license? If so, then they're even nicer.
Yes, I managed to find some music that was licensed under one of the few GPL compatible variants of CC.
Do you remember where specifically? I've been on a project recently to try to organize all the UMC music better and would find having more info about the music to be useful.