Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.13.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Do you ever use the Episode II menu entry to launch the campaign?

Poll ended at August 6th, 2020, 4:21 am

Yes
8%
No
92%

Total votes: 12

chiphog

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.3 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by chiphog »

Iris wrote: July 4th, 2020, 7:07 am
HenryY2020 wrote: July 4th, 2020, 3:59 am In S7- Goliath, I don't know how to get the Void Armor. The author said it's more practical but I can't find any clues on how to do so. Can anyone here help me with this?
It's more practical in the sense that you should be able to do it without running into the turn limit or triggering the boss fight, but it's still kind of an easter egg item more than something you're supposed to be able to find on your own since it's very OP compared to anything else you can get in the campaign.
Mildly spoilery version:
Full spoilery version:
Ha, flippin' ha! I spent frigging days looking for this frunking armor. OK, it my fault - I evilly read some out-of-date walkthrough.

I think a better answer to the original posters question (and even your Mildy spoily hint) would have been: "Check out the cave walls with your mouse. Mouse-over each cave-wall-hex looking for the absence of 'Impassable' and the white-on-red X. If you find a cave wall hex which doesn't have the X, walk a unit into the wall."

While I still thought the armor was in a watery passage starting somewhere in the southeast, wow, was it hard to explore down there. Because the goliath has quite a powerful punch, you have to block him with a strongish unit (for the unit not to die) and strongish units tend to have strongish counter attacks (which you can't disable) and kill the goliath sooner. Initially I could only manage 6 or so turns for Galas and a friend to explore, before the goliath died or started killing my units. Eventually I got better at this blocking-without-death and I could allow Galas and 3 units to explore/fight down south for up to 20 turns. I explored the southwest as well. No armor.

I think a cool touch would be to put a signpost in the far southeast with a message something like: "Dear Worshippers: due to crumbling cave walls, the shrine to the Holy Armoror has been moved. Rotate your holy map device 90 degrees anti-clockwise to find the new secret entrance."

That would serve people who played the old version of the game, people who read the walkthrough and even new players. It's not easy or convenient to get down there, and all it tells you is that there is a secret somewhere on this map.
Leto

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.13.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Post by Leto »

Hello

I just started playing again with Wesnoth, after many years, and this has been my favourite campaign, so thank you.
Last time i played, we still had steppe orcs, and I loved them personally. Have they been removed from the campaign entirely or is it just an 1.16 specific thing?
Lord_bold

Post by Lord_bold »

Hi, I wnt back to playing this, but something wrong is going on- Ever since scenario 3, where you meet Mal-Keshar, the terrain keeps changing. At first I thought "oh well its just growing vegetation, mayhaps is here to help me as I am elves or something", then it started happening in other scenarios- the longer it is the messier it gets. When you reach the dwarves, some really funky stuff starts happening to the ground, and it turns into just utter madness when you get inside the dark keep. I first tought like "maybe its just chaos or something" but holy [censored], walls do get removed, and I literally skipped a couple of fights- like the green undead one didn't fight until the door was opened- never touched the ball that opens it until I already killed him.
Them the shaxtal hive, that was utter agony because the walls, the only things containing these abominations, poofed from existence and transformed into random terrain- but still I went forward up until the dark lair's entrance. But alas, I cannot find anything now.

Look, this is the dark lair. What the [censored] is going on?
Last edited by Lord_bold on December 23rd, 2021, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Lord_bold wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 12:40 pm Hi, I wnt back to playing this, but something wrong is going on- Ever since scenario 3, where you meet Mal-Keshar, the terrain keeps changing. At first I thought "oh well its just growing vegetation, mayhaps is here to help me as I am elves or something", then it started happening in other scenarios- the longer it is the messier it gets. When you reach the dwarves, some really funky stuff starts happening to the ground, and it turns into just utter madness when you get inside the dark keep. I first tought like "maybe its just chaos or something" but holy [censored], walls do get removed, and I literally skipped a couple of fights- like the green undead one didn't fight until the door was opened- never touched the ball that opens it until I already killed him.
Them the shaxtal hive, that was utter agony because the walls, the only things containing these abominations, poofed from existence and transformed into random terrain- but still I went forward up until the dark lair's entrance. But alas, I cannot find anything now.

Look, this is the dark lair. What the [censored] if going on?
Check your modification lists. You may have something enabled which produces this bizarre behaviour.
I played IftU recently and I don't remember this map portion at all.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Lord_bold

Post by Lord_bold »

I had the corpse mod enabled (more of a mistake, as I had it as default, than a choice) but again, this is only supposed to affect aesthetics, not change terrain hexes. Idk whats going on...
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Lord_bold wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 1:10 pm I had the corpse mod enabled (more of a mistake, as I had it as default, than a choice) but again, this is only supposed to affect aesthetics, not change terrain hexes. Idk whats going on...
After troubleshooting an identical problem in discord, it's been found this is caused by "Season Changer Mod". Uninstall that and edit the save file to remove traces of it to resume progress. Like I said, an add-on was infecting...
Lord_bold

Post by Lord_bold »

Ah, you were right, I forgot to update the situation. I just deleted every non-scenario mod I had and restarted the scenario, and worked fine.
name

Post by name »

`
Played on BfW 1.16.1 and IftU 2.1.13.1

S1
An oddly satisfying scenario.

S2
Intro text for Anlindë is cut off when first clicking on her.
This issue occurs later too, possibly related to whenever the [transient_message] tag is used (maybe broken by BfW 1.16?)

S5A + S5B
storytxt.cfg wrote: "The more magically adept travelers chose to apprentice under Mal Keshar to learn necromancy or hone their craft. Things quickly reached a point where the lich’s minions nearly outnumbered our own capable spell casters... and yet...

But Mal Keshar was not the only one hiding something from me. Anlindë refused to tell me about the previous trials faced by our kind at the hands of the demons; [and] Mal Keshar would tell me to ask Anlindë whenever I attempted to inquire. I wondered if perhaps the Lady of Light and the Master of Darkness would be willing to give me answers?"
The "and yet..." and "But" are redundant with each other here.

Also I am not sure what is being compared between these two paragraphs; it sounds like they are two separate topics (recruiting necromancers vs the secret history of Wesmere's demons).

S5A
The bandit bargains for the lives of both himself and his brother... after his brother has already been killed. Maybe he is in denial though :p

Galas' dialogue options have a scroll bar because of the first option's character count:
"We shall hear your offer as long as you and your people swear to leave and never cause us trouble again."

Since the regeneration ring does other things besides regeneration, maybe its exact description should be given before you choose who to give it to?
(In retrospect, giving it to Galas is far and away the best option anyway, maybe he should automatically get it?)

S8x
Aye, they were the Quenoth elves o’ the desert. It was a few centuries ago that they helped our brethren in the south and opened the route for the restoration of our kingdom.
Wait, but I chose to help the trolls in UtBS, not the dwarves. :p

S10y
Minor grammar fixes:
10y_The_Fall.cfg wrote:The mysterious circumstances of his decease [death] led people to suspect Dantair of regicide.
10y_The_Fall.cfg wrote:"Pah, finally. After such a long talk I’d be surprised if there were [was] still any life left out there."
S12
If an undead unit is first to sight the unusually large mudcrawler, it will react by speaking with the voice of an elf.
Same thing with lead unit saying "Uh..." when the chaos minions sight you.
Maybe the {UNIT_SPEAKS_FOR_UNDEAD_MINION (id=Mal Keshar)} macro was broken by BfW 1.16?

S13
UtBS: I'm not saying it was aliens, but it was aliens.
BfW: No, you can't just bring a science fiction element into our LotR style fantasy world!
IftU: We are the Chaos Empire. Lower your shields and surrender your weapons. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your world building will adapt to serve us. Resistance is futile.

S14
Minor grammar fix:
storytxt.cfg wrote:I knew that from that point onwards, I would have to make decisions for our people on my own,
No sooner had Galas entered the woods, than he was set upon by a *cougar* :p
(I am only kidding, it was a sweet moment, much better executed than most of BfW's romantic subplots.)

To prevent wildlife from capturing player villages, you can apply these ai modifications to their side:

Code: Select all

[ai]
    village_value=0
    [avoid]
        terrain=*^V*
    [/avoid]
[/ai]
The drawback, however, is that they are very fragile creatures and can be easily slain by enemies in a one-on-one fight; furthermore, they are costlier to recruit than most other units. Never send them against your adversaries without protection!
Instructions unclear. Recruited only forest sprites. :p

S15x
This is obviously insider commentary on the state of BfW council meetings and decision making. Fire up the rumor mill, lads!

S18
Minor grammar fix:
18_Ashes_of_Wesmere.cfg wrote:It would seem our ‘friends’ have been busy at work in the ruins. All these structures are artificial in nature and weren’t here at the time [before]. What purpose could they serve?
Alternatively:
18_Ashes_of_Wesmere.cfg wrote:It would seem our ‘friends’ have been busy at work in the ruins. All these structures are artificial in nature and weren’t here at the time [in the days of Old Wesmere]. What purpose could they serve?
S21
21_Innuendo.cfg wrote:Choose your recruits and recalls carefully. They will not require upkeep, but you should try to keep them alive for as long as possible; no other units will be available to you for the remainder of the
...and it cuts off right there. I assumed it meant to say "scenario" but a saw in the wml it is actually "campaign". This may once again be BfW 1.16 breaking the [transient_message] tag.

Breaching doors is a fun and clever mechanic.

S23B
Had no idea the yellow text was Uria speaking directly until I saw it in the #po: comments. Not sure how this could be made more clear in neuter-speaker-only languages.

I tried to be a team player by giving the marksman bow to that little ragwraith tag-along instead of Galas. Now it is used against me. A lesson bitterly learned...

Impressions
This campaign delivers a much more serious, naturalistic and detailed character writing than most of BfW, which is my favorite part of it. Fighting mainstay science fiction enemies using the typical fantasy races is wacky, but fun. I would have preferred fewer dungeon crawl scenarios but that may just be me. A lot of work and love went into the production of this campaign and it shows. Thanks for making it!

replays_and_saves.zip
(3.34 MiB) Downloaded 66 times
Poison

Post by Poison »

Hello, I want to report a bug about Crossfire, I've done all the objectives AFAIK and the game doesn't end, then the turns run out with no enemies on the screen, then I lose. BfW 1.16 and Linux here. When I finish the Chaos empire a demon rushes out of the map, should I hunt him somehow? I just thought it's a confirmation that you've killed all units.
Rendy55

Post by Rendy55 »

Hi i have completed on hard but second scenario is insanely hard i have lost here maybe five times then even when i cheated by decreashing enemies income by little i have lost too maybe 3 times then win with save reloading .

I have following questions:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Konrad2 on September 29th, 2022, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added spoiler tags
mamama

Post by mamama »

Hi,

I'm currently playing ItfU an it's really great, thank you for the good work done here ! However, I am facing a problem. I think nobody report this before (I have search in this topic, but maybe I haven't found it...).

I can't finish the scenario 5a, "crossfire"... And I just don't know why. I have killed all enemies, just me remaining on the map, and it does not grant me victory. Have you heard about a problem like this ? Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug ?

I am playing on wesnoth 1.16.2 and the version of the campaign is 2.1.13.1, so the last one.

Thank you for reading me and thank you again for this great campaign !
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Hi,

You have forgotten to pick up the ring dropped by the outlaw/bandit leader with an eligible unit.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I wonder if we can convince Iris to add a third campaign of epicness as follow-up here one day ... :D
newfrenchy83
Code Contributor

Post by newfrenchy83 »

I like it, but i think what was few probability
LienRag

Post by LienRag »

I got spoiled already (I'm at scenario 21 only) so I won't read more of the past discussions before finishing the campaign, but I'd like to say that it has been so far a quite interesting experience (I particularly loved the epic cave battle in S8, which you stumble upon after a bit of dungeon crawling; also the Strike on Herthgar and The Library, especially with the shards of information that you stumble on in random order, before they got put in the right order when you find the last shard; the Source of Light also was quite interesting and challenging).
Also I'd like to ask a question : why is the AI so often running in circles ? Especially in Moon Valley, it would be so much more dangerous if they were able to mount a coherent and collective attack...

Note : You may want to put important spoilers
Spoiler:
behind a spoiler tag in earlier discussions of this thread.