Affably Evil

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dugi

Re: Affably Evil

Post by Dugi »

bckpkol wrote: May 26th, 2019, 6:51 pm I've just found a reference. "Baphomet" is a three-headed demon from the Broken Sword: Circle of Blood.
I have never played that game and I have no idea there was a demon named Baphomet.
bckpkol wrote: May 26th, 2019, 6:51 pm There were also George Stobbart and Nicole.
This is a pure coincidence. No characters were meant to refer to any characters with these names.
bckpkol

Post by bckpkol »

Well, the another name of that game "Shadow of the Templars".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baphomet
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

bckpkol wrote: May 27th, 2019, 2:02 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baphomet
Now that is the Baphomet I was referring to.

Just for completeness, there are at least six music bands called Baphomet, a famous state of Baphomet erected in USA from time to time, one music label called Baphomet, there is a monster named Baphomet in several other games including D&D, ...
WackoJacko

Post by WackoJacko »

Hey Dugi,
This is my first post on the forums so i apologise if I break some of the unwritten rules of etiquette.
Just wanted to say that I've enjoyed playing your campaigns over the years and am currently going through Affably Evil. I have noticed a few possible bugs.
Playing on 1.12.6 and normal/medium difficulty
-I've read that you may have changed the XP requirements for regular units however it only seems to affect the heroes, not the units we can recruit. Is this intentional?
-During the second area, Menacing HIlls, the dialogue with the random enemies is triggered before you see them. I obviously move such that they are appear however it is outside of my range of vision so it looks like I am talking with no one.

General gameplay
-Those portraits are... interesting ;)
-I like how Krux speaks like a snobby English nobleman, very apt. Also, in my opinion, the dialogue is much better than in some other campaigns which comes across very cringe-y.
- Lastly, I'm weary about feeding XP to Judas the Mole fearing a potential betrayal (due to his name). Has the betrayal already occurred in the character's backstory?

Anyway, thank you for making some amazing scenarios and I'm sorry if this post comes across as mean. It was said with tongue-in-cheek and I'm very appreciative of the time and effort you have put into these campaigns and look forward to anymore that you happen to put out.

EDIT: Scenario "Marilyn" is very easy. The high turn limit and multiple villages make leave it open to abuse (surround Marilyn on Keep and farm XP off the unit they recall every turn and occupying all villages gives more gold per turn than the early finish bonus).
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

WackoJacko wrote: June 30th, 2019, 10:34 am -I've read that you may have changed the XP requirements for regular units however it only seems to affect the heroes, not the units we can recruit. Is this intentional?
If I recall correctly, there was an error in Wesnoth or something. This is just a setting I have set, there should be no difference between heroes and normal units. I will watch out for this, most campaigns I have written have some experience modifier.
WackoJacko wrote: June 30th, 2019, 10:34 am -During the second area, Menacing HIlls, the dialogue with the random enemies is triggered before you see them. I obviously move such that they are appear however it is outside of my range of vision so it looks like I am talking with no one.
If they appear closer, the ambush has the potential of causing you to fail the scenario because you didn't know the future. If they cleared the fog, you'd see what you might not have been supposed to see. It is possible to have them appear close to the discovering unit and then retreat, but the action would make no sense. That's why I prefer to make them start as voices from afar.
WackoJacko wrote: June 30th, 2019, 10:34 am -Those portraits are... interesting ;)
My drawing skills are rather bad and I do what I can to get around it.
Maybe I should not have refused one girl who could draw pretty well.
WackoJacko wrote: June 30th, 2019, 10:34 am -I like how Krux speaks like a snobby English nobleman, very apt.
Actually, this wasn't entirely intentional.

This is a less known problem of some non-native speakers of English. After learning all grammar and picking up a vast vocabulary, it becomes difficult not to use all of it. There are no childhood memories of speaking English unspoiled by literature. The last step to perfection is to stop sounding like a snobby nobleman. I have not made this final step and I do speak English like Krux at times. I have indeed tried to overdo when writing the dialogues.
WackoJacko wrote: June 30th, 2019, 10:34 am Also, in my opinion, the dialogue is much better than in some other campaigns which comes across very cringe-y.
Maybe you should avoid the stuff I have written earlier :lol:
WackoJacko wrote: June 30th, 2019, 10:34 am - Lastly, I'm weary about feeding XP to Judas the Mole fearing a potential betrayal (due to his name). Has the betrayal already occurred in the character's backstory?
Yes, it was jokingly hinted in one of the bits of his backstory that were mentioned.
WackoJacko wrote: June 30th, 2019, 10:34 am Anyway, thank you for making some amazing scenarios and I'm sorry if this post comes across as mean. It was said with tongue-in-cheek and I'm very appreciative of the time and effort you have put into these campaigns and look forward to anymore that you happen to put out.
No problem, man.
WackoJacko wrote: June 30th, 2019, 10:34 am EDIT: Scenario "Marilyn" is very easy. The high turn limit and multiple villages make leave it open to abuse (surround Marilyn on Keep and farm XP off the unit they recall every turn and occupying all villages gives more gold per turn than the early finish bonus).
Okay, I will slightly reduce the turn count.
WackoJacko

Post by WackoJacko »

Hey Dugi,
After scrolling through the noticeboards, I figure that English wasn't your first language. However I'm not fussy, as long as the dialogue flows and is (mainly) correct then most native-born speakers will just autocorrect the grammar in their head as they read along (although that could just be me being weird :) ). I barely notice any major grammatical errors unless I'm concentrating really hard and your dialogue flows really well. Thanks

P.S. I'm not 100% sure but I think from memory that the player's gold is reset a few scenarios later so it really isn't a major deal, although don't quote me on that :D
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

Hi! I've recently started to play this campaign, I should admit I like the story and dialogues but have two things to complain.

First of all, it took me some time to understand that I should move across different locations as in LotI's Akula dungeon, it's not clear for some reason, no tip about it.

And the second should he just bug: I unlocked throwing knives for both Krux and his sister but I can't put on a knife item, it says 'This unit cannot throw knives' :(
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

WackoJacko wrote: November 30th, 2019, 12:36 pm Hey Dugi,
After scrolling through the noticeboards, I figure that English wasn't your first language. However I'm not fussy, as long as the dialogue flows and is (mainly) correct then most native-born speakers will just autocorrect the grammar in their head as they read along (although that could just be me being weird :) ). I barely notice any major grammatical errors unless I'm concentrating really hard and your dialogue flows really well. Thanks
Thanks for the evaluation :D
WackoJacko wrote: November 30th, 2019, 12:36 pm P.S. I'm not 100% sure but I think from memory that the player's gold is reset a few scenarios later so it really isn't a major deal, although don't quote me on that :D
It's too vague a report for me to try to replicate.
dwarftough wrote: December 12th, 2019, 5:03 amFirst of all, it took me some time to understand that I should move across different locations as in LotI's Akula dungeon, it's not clear for some reason, no tip about it.
You didn't do that even in LotI? There are many hidden items and some other surprises in corners and far away places in scenarios.
dwarftough wrote: December 12th, 2019, 5:03 am And the second should he just bug: I unlocked throwing knives for both Krux and his sister but I can't put on a knife item, it says 'This unit cannot throw knives' :(
It seems to work with the up-to date LotI.

Post by dwarftough »

Dugi wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 9:25 pm You didn't do that even in LotI? There are many hidden items and some other surprises in corners and far away places in scenarios..
I did it in LotI, even visited the library with all those shaxthals and Arzagars... Don't know how much I visited here but I've gladly finished.

One question for me remained unresolved though. Why is Acantha marked as Elf? She even can't walk forests in elvish way, all others treat her like human.
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

dwarftough wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 8:42 am One question for me remained unresolved though. Why is Acantha marked as Elf? She even can't walk forests in elvish way, all others treat her like human.
It's an oversight. She'll be a human from the next upload.
Spirit_of_Currents

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

1. A bug: Krux already knows his legacy.
2. A bug: Prion said Krux had changed legacy but now he has two legacies!
3. A problem: after Prion told Krux to go north, I went north and lost most of my gold without warning. I'll need to reload and buy some gems...
There are very much electrical currents in my brain.
Jay_jayjay

Post by Jay_jayjay »

I found a reference: In Dead End Trail, Efraim mentions a elf named Legoland.
Legoland is a chain of family theme parks, which has its main focus on the construction toy system Lego. They are not fully owned by The Lego Group itself; rather they are owned and operated by the British theme park company Merlin Entertainments. Wikipedia
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Spirit_of_Currents wrote: April 7th, 2020, 2:42 pm 1. A bug: Krux already knows his legacy.
2. A bug: Prion said Krux had changed legacy but now he has two legacies!
I have forgotten to update some code for wesnoth 1.14.
Spirit_of_Currents wrote: April 7th, 2020, 2:42 pm 3. A problem: after Prion told Krux to go north, I went north and lost most of my gold without warning. I'll need to reload and buy some gems...
Krux does not use his personal gold for recruiting, he uses his parents' gold. When you go to a scenario with recruiting, you don't have access to the gold you had in non-recruiting scenarios. It will be restored when you return to a scenario without recruitment.
Jay_jayjay wrote: May 25th, 2020, 9:34 pm I found a reference: In Dead End Trail, Efraim mentions a elf named Legoland.
Legoland is a chain of family theme parks, which has its main focus on the construction toy system Lego. They are not fully owned by The Lego Group itself; rather they are owned and operated by the British theme park company Merlin Entertainments. Wikipedia
That's not the whole thing. It's mainly a parody to Legolas from Lord of the Rings.
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

I don't know if I play the latest. But there is a mistake: when Krux and the company are going to find an elf, they fight undead in L... (forgot the name) forest, and in the next scenario they need to break through to the north. And here Krux says "Folweri's faerie fire would be useful", but he hasn't even met her yet!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi! Just finished a playthrough of Affably Evil!

Really enjoyed:
- The plot
- The openworld repeatable scenarios
- The characters ^_^ (hilarious, engaging, awesome! including the enemies)

Didn't enjoy:
- The fact that it ends :cry: :cry: :cry: (haha)
- I wasn't informed that the signpost rock would stop working and got really confused and thought it was a bug haha
- The first scenario was really really really hard (none of my heroes were any good yet) and I didnt have enough units and the enemy economy was way higher
-
Spoiler:
Tbh this is just another really well designed scenario with lots of potential and very enjoyable... but! The item system was FANTASTIC! It was exactly what I was looking for and I spent hours and hours at the start of every scenario rearranging items on my heroes. Very quickly the game (played on medium difficulty with no save-and-load) became very easy because my heroes (all of them which was quite a lot by the end) could kill anyone (including lvl 3 enemies) in a single combat. Krux wielded sinister lunacy on his whirlwind attack and could often slay 3 high level enemies simultaneously. The dwarf had backstab, misanthropia, skirmish, and a axe that melded attacks resulting in something like 144-1. Acantha collected all four Rherraent's items. You get the picture :)

Anyway the highest praise for the item system which was fantastic! The only suggestion I might make is requesting an ability to buy additional slots to exceed 9 items :)))))

Back to the point about the first scenario. I actually could not win it and ended up debugging my way through. Does anyone have a play through or ideas for what I did wrong?