Affably Evil

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dugi

Affably Evil

Post by Dugi »

Hello,

This is the official feedback thread for a campaign I have written while procrastinating for the latest exams, I called it Affably Evil. It is about a guy who is, as it's sometimes called, affably evil. He is a nice guy, but he is not a good guy. He hates killing (dead men are bad servants), high taxes (poor men die easily and pay no taxes then) and injustice (as long as it has not concern himself or his allies). He works for his family, a deceitful and fraudulent noble house, fighting bandits (who are actually resistance), cruel despots (who are actually nobles who oppose him), false conspiracy stories (that contain too much truth) and prefers to have his enemies survive the combat (for slave work). He is sent on a few errands with his sister and a few other reprobates and I will not tell you how it continues. It is also a prequel to Legend of the Invincibles, the relation is quite faint (so the order of playing does not matter) but it explains some of its small discrepancies.

The main character is inspired by a professor who taught me, though changing a scientist into an aristocrat changed a lot of traits. The campaign contains a lot of references to all kinds of things, if you notice them you might have a short laugh, if you have a suspicion about something you usually can google it. Most of them are quite dark, but you are playing a bad guy, remember? Some of them are obvious, some of them are hard to notice if you don't know what it refers to. If you wonder if something is a reference or not, just look into the spoiler behind. There used to be a challenge that whoever discovers at least 15 of them will be allowed to name the dwarvish mercenary, it was won by nuorc. Now, there's another challenge, any person who finds at least four additional ones on them can name the elvish mayor whose name is randomly generated.
References discovered so far:
The campaign is somewhat in a beta stage, I have tested it but only once so there are probably some bugs I left out. After the few updates, there should not be any showstopper bugs ruining gameplay. It also might be too easy at times, please report any scenarios that are too easy.
Last edited by Dugi on December 25th, 2015, 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Affably Evil (new campaign)

Post by Ravana »

Reports

Code: Select all

Macro/file 'WEAPON_SPECIAL_IMPRECISE' is missing
    at ~add-ons\\Affably_Evil\\scenarios\\Libreborough.cfg:139
        included from ~add-ons\\Affably_Evil\\_main.cfg:53
Only loaded addons of that instance of wesnoth are this(0.1.0) and its dependency(yes, 3.1.14).
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Darn, it was a spelling error I corrected in the dependency and did not upload the update to dependency. Sorry for it. It should be fixed now. Please update it.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Finished first scenario. I quite liked the story, it was similar to the one from where I picked name Ravana.

I wouldnt say anything about balance as I still have only completed 1 campaign I can not accurately describe it. However I had much higher income than the quick finish gave.

I noticed you also use AE_ prefix, but I hope when they are in different #ifdef it wont cause any problems.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Yes, it is in a protected path, furthermore there are not many macros with that prefix, just a few of them that are used everywhere. Thanks for the quick feedback.
Xara

Post by Xara »

Dugi wrote:The main character is inspired by a professor who taught me, though changing a scientist into an aristocrat changed a lot of traits.
Sounds attractive. ;)

EDIT:
But I can't load the campaign:

The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
    D:/Games/Battle for Wesnoth/userdata/data/add-ons/Affably_Evil/_main.cfg

Please report this to the author or maintainer of this add-on.

Details:

Macro/file 'ABILITY_STEALS' is missing
    at ~add-ons\\Affably_Evil\\scenarios\\01_Incarcerating.cfg:120
        included from ~add-ons\\Affably_Evil\\_main.cfg:53
and

unknown scenario: 01_Incarcerating
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

You need the latest version of its dependency, Legend of the Invincibles. Its description on the server explicitly says that. I have updated it quite recently and some of the changes are necessary for this campaign.

The second error is caused by the first one, there is no need to ever report error like that if they appear after some other error.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Is the XP modification of 300% really necessary? (thats on all difficulties)

only leaders can pick up items/stones (nor can normal units equip items)

allies having the op abilities (e.g. peasent with regeneration 32) and i dont know anymore if thats intended

when i make Hare the Strandler go into prison and kill him, then my sister still mourns his loss and Hare says that it was good time serving me (his master) which makes no sense when he never joined my party
Xara

Post by Xara »

Dugi wrote:You need the latest version of its dependency, Legend of the Invincibles.
I realized it when I discovered that the campaign needs LotI.

This campaign turns out to be a campaign of similar style to LotI. LotI has a bad reputation of being way too long to be enjoyed, and those long xp bars here are scary.

Amd I just want to say please relinquish usages of the portraits, especially of the Antipater. They drive people away. :lol:

One curious thing: how did you seperated vision and max_moves? I debugged the max_moves of Krux, but his vision didn't change.

Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@Konrad2
The XP modification is to prevent the units from getting into very high levels quickly and needing insanely hard enemies to fight by the end - it also increases the importance of items.
It is intentional that only leaders can pick up items. Other units are lost when you no longer need them.
Allies always had those abilities. Ally versus enemy power should not change much with difficulty.
I will have a look at that bug with Acantha failing to notice that Hare is not there.

@Xara
There is a reason for the long XP bars. This campaign is not very long.
What's your problem with portraits? I have seen far worse ones.
The vision and max_moves were separated in wesnoth 1.11 long ago. Something like that cannot be changed with add-ons.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

1.11 introduced [vision_costs] under [movetype], though it is missing from sidebar... will edit wiki later today. Edit: updated wiki.

Specifically what you asked about, vision: the number of vision points to calculate the unit's sight range. Defaults to movement if not present.
The vision and max_moves were separated in wesnoth 1.11 long ago. Something like that cannot be changed with add-ons.
While they were separated, addon can still change either or both.
Last edited by Ravana on July 10th, 2015, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated wiki
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Did not work in 12.2 please fix it.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Dude, you're so lazy at writing bug reports. If it doesn't load, update it and get the latest version of its dependency, Legend of the Invincibles as it says in its description and it will work. That is all I can say when you don't specify the error.
Xara

Post by Xara »

Dugi wrote:It is intentional that only leaders can pick up items. Other units are lost when you no longer need them.
Then it's quite disappointing to be tantalize with so many maces and axes scattering on the ground.
Dugi wrote:What's your problem with portraits? I have seen far worse ones.
Better to make bad hand-drawn portraits than bad 3D-model ones. And the white leotard guy looks like a psycho (no offence, I just don't know how to articulate it).

Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

In Strych, when moving to signpost then it ends scenario, and creates new one that was just like last one ended, only gold has been refilled.

Used this to get fireball to the units without ranged.

The undead of menancing hills after the message telling me to retreat do not attack me, leaving me free to whirlwind them. Edit: They attack only after the village event, once I had farmed enough xp.

Is it intentional that backstab whirlwind does double to all targets.