Saurian sprites

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
hunter_z

Re: Saurian sprites

Post by hunter_z »

Did the Saurian Enforcer ever have all the frames for it completed? I'd really like to use him :)
Talentless

Post by Talentless »

If they did, I would have posted them in the thread. :) I'm afraid I've only finished SE idle and defend images for that one, I don't really consider it worth working on right now.

On that topic:
doofus-01 wrote: December 4th, 2021, 12:38 pm I realize I'm responding to something from years ago, but that attack icon was not bad. We can't use clip-art from images we don't have rights to, but you can use it for working out the design. The contrast would also need a boost.
Thanks, but I'm not planning on adding any attack icons for now. Might work on a few more sprites, but so far they do not require any custom icons.
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

That's a shame. BfW could really use more saurians.
Talentless

Post by Talentless »

That's why I'm here. ;)

On that note, thoughts on potential Lv3 of Soothsayer?
Attachments
ne-lv3.png
ne-lv3.png (14.42 KiB) Viewed 34497 times
se-lv3.png
se-lv3.png (13.09 KiB) Viewed 34497 times
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

100% support! I'm currently making a saurian campaign, 1 scenario is done. I'm using some units I found on this thread with the completed animations :)
Talentless

Post by Talentless »

If possible, please use the Saurian Pack add-on as a dependency and pull the unit images from there. Even if you want to modify the stats, I think you should be able to copy just the configuration files and reference the images directly from another add-on. I plan on adding fixes to the sprites, as well as balancing changes and translations further down the road, so ideally there shouldn't be any outdated versions circulating around various campaigns and eras. I do not plan on moving or renaming any files for this exact reason. Thanks. :)
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

I have a few suggestions based on sprites I found in EoM (I certainly hope I'm crediting the correct one):

ImageImageImage

First one could be a mage that doesn't need a staff to fire projectiles, kind of like in this portrait:

Second is a ranged unit who doesn't know magic, third is just... idk, it looks cool :D
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

hunter_z wrote: December 17th, 2021, 5:43 pm I have a few suggestions based on sprites I found in EoM (I certainly hope I'm crediting the correct one):

ImageImageImage

First one could be a mage that doesn't need a staff to fire projectiles, kind of like in this portrait:

Second is a ranged unit who doesn't know magic, third is just... idk, it looks cool :D
EoMa...
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: December 17th, 2021, 5:54 pm EoMa...
Well, I was one letter off, I'll take it :D
Talentless

Post by Talentless »

I have released v3.0.0 of the add-on, including support for campaigns and visual improvements to the prophet sprite. The feather now recolors according to the chosen side, and the head is a bit bigger to make the unit more visually distinctive from the Oracle.
prophet.png
prophet.png (16.31 KiB) Viewed 34399 times
Since I've got a few requests for this, I'll probably be focusing on the Soothsayer upgrade right now. Here's the current base sprite.
seer.png
seer.png (13.17 KiB) Viewed 34399 times
Not sure about the gem yet, but I quite like where it's at visually.
hunter_z wrote: December 17th, 2021, 5:43 pm First one could be a mage that doesn't need a staff to fire projectiles, kind of like in this portrait:

I was actually working on the magic unit next. Since it requires the least number of animations, it will probably be the first custom saurian unit that I'll make. I could actually use some advice on the cloth shading - I'm quite happy with the back images, but I'm not sure about the texture in the front.
progress.png
progress.png (11.52 KiB) Viewed 34399 times
Attachments
shaman-front.gif
shaman-front.gif (575.19 KiB) Viewed 34399 times
shaman-back.gif
shaman-back.gif (425.14 KiB) Viewed 34399 times
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

There's this unit from EoMa that you can use as a base for the attack animation:

ImageImageImageImageImage

As for the shading, here's a version I came up with -Image
I gave him lil spikes on the back on his head too to match the back sprite :)
Talentless

Post by Talentless »

It's OK, I'm mostly reusing and adapting Augur animations. I quite like the hand raise animation. Here's what I've got so far. I don't think the spikes are necessary (see the Augur front sprite), I just want to make the poncho more cloth-like.
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

Talentless wrote: December 18th, 2021, 11:25 am It's OK, I'm mostly reusing and adapting Augur animations. I quite like the hand raise animation. Here's what I've got so far. I don't think the spikes are necessary (see the Augur front sprite), I just want to make the poncho more cloth-like.
Looks great so far! I personally think the spikes are a nice addition tho :)
Talentless

Post by Talentless »

Not sure about these to be honest, it just looks like a jaggy edge at this scale - I wouldn't be able to tell if it's deliberate. Besides, other Lv1 saurians do not have any spikes on the front so far. Feel free to modify the sprites however you want though.

As for the sprite, right now my biggest worry is to make both sides of poncho look natural.
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

Alright, noted. I think the poncho looks nice the way it is right now.