A Group in a War: 1.18 SP simple RPG campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

odanoburu

Re: A Group in a War: 1.14 SP simple RPG campaign

Post by odanoburu »

Hey @tamanegi, nice campaign! I'm enjoying it so far, and it's so different it's refreshing.

I have a few suggestions/requests:

Could you make enemies not flee right after attacking? They should probably either flee and not attack, or flee only on the next round (if they survive until then, of course)

Another thing is that the unit that kills the opposing leader always says 'kill the remaining enemies' even when there are none; a check for any remaining enemies on the opposing side could be added before saying this.

Thank you for your work!
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Hello, I'm back. :D

Version 0.2.1j uploaded.
- fix dialog
- fix units

Food caravan unit count -> fixed
Fame cap -> office staff will mention about this
Skip message (kill remaining enemies) if the leader is the last guy on skirmish -> implemented

(Fame bonus when capturing village/outpost already exists. It is not a large value, though. (5 for village, 10 for small outpost)
Discord: @tamanegi
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
A Group in a War: my first campaign, An Independence War: and the sequel
Krzysztof-H

Post by Krzysztof-H »

Hi tamanegi! I finished my second play-through, this time on Hard. Though the odds appear to have been just a little bit on my side ;). Thank you for this lovely experience. And fantastic to see you're still releasing updates! I was apparently known as the Pacifist, even though my PC slaughtered approximately 200 people… Oh dear…
Screenshot from 2024-01-21 01-24-41.png
I wish to ask a question, and later submit a small bug report. First, could you explain how the different Behaviors are calculated? For me they seem right, apart from the pacifism… unless it specifically means my actions toward the Naga.
Screenshot from 2024-01-21 01-34-10.png
My exploits were simple: conquer all villages and eastern outpost single-handedly. Later, gather 1000 or more gold, recruit as many fencers as possible and conquer the forts. In the process of waiting for gold, I used the train feature, and I spotted some bugs.

Bugs:
  • Resting doesn't always restore PC health if I don't leave the main outpost. It seems it does, but if I start a night battle from training, I start with the same HP I had from previous night battle. There seems to be no bug if I request a night patrol normally.
  • If I wait in the main outpost, my food count still reduces, and my troops may even starve! I tested that when training for days on end.
  • During my cheeky exploits, I noticed something strange with the East outpost (maybe West too?). Basically, if I wait until the timer runs out, then immediately attack again, all the enemy soldiers are suddenly gone, only the captain is left… Maybe they were terrified :lol:
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

(Honestly, I don't remember the detailed mechanism/intention of the code...)

About pacifism, it increases when you let enemies flee (+2 per unit) or you run out turns in a battle (+5).
I don't know why the latter exists... :hmm: I couldn't find any of my comments about this. It might be a bug or some test code?
Anyway, I didn't adjust those behaviour calculations seriously. It must not be well done.
(Those behaviours are concerned only with your nickname. Not directly concerned with nagas; they don't know what you did in the land.)

For resting, it does not work if you are involved in the night battle (seems to be very intentional). In case you are sleeping in the bed, there seems to be some heal even when you join the night battle, though. (Patrol without intruder may be the same as just sleeping in the bed. May be intentional?) Probably, I should add some notices about the mechanism.

East output one seems to be a bug (most probably West too). I will fix it. Thanks!

> if I wait until the timer runs out,
OK, I understand what you did. ;)

(added) The east outpost bug happens for Bridge guard, too. Something unexpected might happen when unstoring saved unit. I can't figure out the exact cause of this problem. It seems some of modified params are discarded. It can't be fixed easily. I will try again later...
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Krzysztof-H wrote: January 21st, 2024, 12:57 am
[*] If I wait in the main outpost, my food count still reduces, and my troops may even starve! I tested that when training for days on end.
I'm very certain that that is intended, as your units of course still eat food, and likely the food that's rationed to you. :) And since you need to pick up your food manually instead of replenishing it automatically in the fort, you can of course starve inside the fort.

I agree that one can argue that it should be different, I just don't think it's a bug, it's more of a design choice.
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Oh, sorry,I forgot to mention about food in the main outpost.
Konrad2's answer is right. It is intended. There can be a different way, though.

(But I should issue a warning when there is too little food in the main outpost...)
Krzysztof-H

Post by Krzysztof-H »

Wow, what a quick answer. Thanks guys!
tamanegi

Re: A Group in a War: 1.16 SP simple RPG campaign

Post by tamanegi »

version 0.2.1k uploaded.

The "all the enemy soldiers are suddenly gone" bug was fixed tentatively. When you fled (including time over) from the battle against bridge/outpost guard troop, the guard will be replaced by a new one.

I tried to keep/update the status of the enemy troop, but failed. I don't know why. Manual modification of unit variables might be the cause of the bug.

And I changed the title of this thread. (1.14 -> 1.16)
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Gave this another try with the latest update. Neat stuff.

Found a typo when trying to enter north fort (unconquered) it says controling should be controlling. English is a illogical language.

Also I found that Clammy's advice is too obsessed with food. Food schmood! That junk is everywhere. Every village and every outpost has it, even defeated enemy troops have it!

What really is difficult is GOLD. Only two places to get it and only once every 10 turns which means running out is super easy when on campaign.

My advice (shut up Clammy, you're a moron) is to make sure you build up a large gold reserve before you leave the main fort. 200 or maybe 500 at the very least.

Wish there was an option to not feed Clammy... that'd serve that goblin runt right. Thank goodness he doesn't cost gold.

Oh and another weird thing I found was with about 50+ fame or something (not sure) I was allowed an audience with the great general of the main fort. But I was given nothing to ask him for. Guessing that the check for meeting him and for requesting something don't match up correctly.

Oh and speaking of GOLD, I calculated that while the peasants might look cheap initially the upkeep is the same of course. 20 gold for a spearman you add 10 gold for the next 10 days as upkeep = 30 real cost to hire. But a peasant is 3+10=13. Whoa. Of course we get a real break on the L2's which still only cost 1. So the best strategy is to buy loys and level them up to 2 as fast as possible.
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

That typo (probably controled -> controlled one) will be fixed when porting to 1.18...
Regarding gold, yes, you are right. 8)
I will add some more messages about gold management in 1.18 port.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Oh another one that shows up a lot:

gold payed for

paid

Kingdom worms! Crash

Crush would make more sense.

Oh and x foods consumed is usually phrased x food consumed. Although foods is actually correct it is one of those subtle nuances where foods implies that they ate x different foods while food is the generic term and since our soldiers are eating generic foods food sounds better.
And yes, it's an impossibly silly language. : ) [ Brain memory usage analysis: German 500 KB used, French 600 KB used, Italian 600 KB used, English 3.7 GB used... ack! ; ) ]

Some more: patroling (ll), Ouspost (t), excelent (ll), curent (rr)

Oh and as for funds are charged, you could change charged to disbursed (a fancy word for paying out something) if you want since charged sounds a bit odd there as if you were being charged money. I know that they are re-charged every 10 turns but for money disbursed would be ideal.

unhonorful might be better as dishonorable (shameful?)
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Thanks, I'll fix them in the 1.18 port I'm working on.
grubleafeater

Post by grubleafeater »

Midnight at the Outpost doesn't penalize Liminal units.
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Thank you for the report, grubleafeater. :D

You are right (and I was not aware of it :P).
Official macro "MIDNIGHT" is used there, but it doesn't seem to work correctly.
In the latest develop version 1.17.25, liminal units are penalized as expected with the same code.

This bug will be fixed in 1.18 port. I would leave 1.16 version unchanged. (This may not be a critical issue...)
dahaka

Post by dahaka »

I "completed" the campaign, but got killed by the jealous higher-ups, because I didn't have enough fame.
I've already captured all villages and outposts on the Field, and found the elf and dwarf units, so there's no more "story" to play.
Is my only option to keep roaming the Field and grinding fights with random troops to gain fame and experience?
If yes - how much fame and how many high lvl units do I need to successfully raid the Main Outpost?