User Interface size?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CurseUppl

User Interface size?

Post by CurseUppl »

Is there an addon or a way to change the size of the user interface? Or a scaling feature? I can't find any in the settings.

I'm using a 2560x1440 screen and I really have to squint sometimes to read the small text, such as unit info and such.

The actual chatter between characters has the right size though.

Thanks for any help.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

For now, just set your display to half its resolution

Post by ancestral »

tl;dr For now, just set your display to half its resolution (1280x720)

CurseUppl, it is possible to modify Wesnoth UI using a Theme. (In fact, I have a mockup on what one Theme for large displays could look like right here.) There are, however, some things preventing this or any theme for high DPI displays from happening.

In Wesnoth, there are two graphic sources: GUI1 and GUI2.

I often get these juxtaposed, so forigve me if I mix them up now: some elements are GUI1 (unit info text in the sidebar and text labels in the game) whereas other elements are GUI2 (for example, character dialogue text at the bottom of the screen). Other dialogs throughout the UI vary between GUI1 and GUI2.

However, there are two problems. Firstly, GUI1 can be scaled using a Theme (take a look at the Pandora Theme) but GUI2 cannot. This means really itty-bitty character dialogue at higher resolutions (unless you hack GUI files outside the mod — which is doable if you’re interested). Secondly, GUI files live separate from Themes, meaning some things just cannot be changed with a Theme. At all. (Those hacks I mentioned? Well, if you changed the Theme back, things would look “brokedy.”)

The good news is this might change for the better with the next release. Time will tell.

In the meantime, it’s probably going to be easier to just set your display to pixel-double (i.e. set your display to 1280x720) which at the very least should avoid blurry graphics.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: For now, just set your display to half its resolution

Post by Iris »

ancestral wrote:I often get these juxtaposed, so forigve me if I mix them up now: some elements are GUI1 (unit info text in the sidebar and text labels in the game) whereas other elements are GUI2 (for example, character dialogue text at the bottom of the screen). Other dialogs throughout the UI vary between GUI1 and GUI2.
The themeable game UI uses GUI1 for buttons and sliders only. Sidebar labels, in particular, use ttext for rendering, much like GUI2 does, but they are not GUI2 widgets; they are not GUI1 widgets either.
ancestral wrote:However, there are two problems. Firstly, GUI1 can be scaled using a Theme (take a look at the Pandora Theme) but GUI2 cannot.
In reality, only the themeable game UI supports themes at the moment; neither GUI1 nor GUI2 do, although in GUI2’s case some of the underpinnings for this are already present.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
CurseUppl

Re: User Interface size?

Post by CurseUppl »

Thanks for the responses, guys.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

ancestral wrote:The good news is this might change for the better with the next release. Time will tell.
Will the look and feel of the UI also be worked upon? For example it makes me crazy that popup windows/info screens etc (like recruit list) can't be moved or scaled. It kind of gives BfW a unique feel, though not necessarily only in a good way. ;)

Where should I post suggestions?
I have a cunning plan.
marcnn

Re: User Interface size?

Post by marcnn »

Has anything changed as of Wesnoth 1.13.x?
lea

Post by lea »

ancestral wrote: December 5th, 2014, 4:21 amIn the meantime, it’s probably going to be easier to just set your display to pixel-double (i.e. set your display to 1280x720) which at the very least should avoid blurry graphics.
how do you do that without blur?
tried to find a way to disable approximation algorithm (or replace it with nearest neighbour) on both windows and linux and could not make it happen...
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)