The Beautiful Child

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dugi

The Beautiful Child

Post by Dugi »

This is the feedback thread for The Beautiful Child singleplayer campaign.

The Beautiful Child is a medium-sized campaign focusing on loyalists vs. loyalists combat. Its storyline is about fighting a corrupted order of White Mages and their allies whose good deeds are minor compared to the misuse of laws, embezzlement of money obtained from taxes and bribes they're all guilty of. At the time of the campaign, they made up a story about a child so magnificent that it had to be a descendant of gods and claim that this new Heracles will lead mankind into great prosperity; but it's too obvious that it's only an excuse to increase taxes they demand from peasants. This is enough and they have to be stopped.

It has only 8 scenarios, but it has an important free roam mode where 15 quests have to be completed (because its objectives don't require an army, just a small squad).

The campaign uses some mechanics and plot background from Legend of the Invincibles, but having played it in the past isn't necessary. It uses LotI also as resources. It's available on 1.10 and 1.12 servers.

The campaign is complete, but there may still be balance issues or typos. Please report them in this topic.

I'd like some feedback from you guys. Mostly:
1. What do you say about this style of gameplay? Loyals only most of the time and recruiting only when an army comes and there is a meaningful origin of recruited soldiers?
2. Do you find it balanced? Are the enemies too easy or too hard somewhere? Did you get too much gold or too little gold somewhere? Were there some cheap exploits?
3. Did you find any bugs, typos or plot holes? Or some awkward humour? Note: when reporting bugs, know that most names are generated and it's better to know a unit's role than name.
4. Something else?
5. (challenge) If you guess what was my inspiration for this, I will let you have a personal touch in the campaign, for example name a character after you or something.

I'd be glad if a moderator could move this into the add-on feedback forum, I can't post there for some reasons.
Last edited by Dugi on October 25th, 2015, 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Raijer

Re: The Beautiful Child (beta)

Post by Raijer »

Playing on 1.11.17

Well, starts quite bad. You got rusty with dialogs code i think. Seems like half of the introduction dialog is missing. Only Rimaru's are showing.
Also, when the brothers of light come, they all go to the same hex, so only the last one is really on the screen.
Also, the portraits don't correspond with the one who talks when you have to choose what to say.

While the lieutenant is supposed to be bleeding to death, he doesn't actually die... (i decided to save him)
Last edited by Raijer on October 22nd, 2014, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Strange, it seems to be running fine on 1.11.13, tested it just now (I've been developing it on 1.10). It looks like there is some trouble in 1.11.17 or some unannounced changes occurred.

Normally, if more units are moved to the same hex, the second one will stand next to the first one, the third one will stand next to them etc. It's also weird that the peasants that Rimaru talked to didn't appear.

Can you try it on a different version, I want to know if I made an error in uploading or if it's related to 1.11.17. These errors you're encountering are very strange.

The lieutenant is supposed to recover some life after that you decide to let him live.
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

I decided to let him live, then there was something like "he's bleeding to death, i can't help him", but he didn't die.

Okay... Replaying it on 1.10.7:
Huge problems on 1.11.17. I hadn't understood but... You're supposed to choose your class at the start ???????
That didn't even appear. So, definitely a change of code in 1.11.17.

But the problem of the lieutenant still shows up: i save him, the enemies run, and then Rimaru says something like "he's diing to fast for me to save him". But he doesn't die.

Gonna stop playing for now.
Last edited by Raijer on October 22nd, 2014, 10:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

William Ernest Henley
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Dugi, Raijer: There was a bug that crept in in 1.11.17 in {MOVE_UNIT} unfortunately. We fixed it here, see thread for instructions how you can fix your 1.11.17 without waiting for new release.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Raijer wrote:I decided to let him live, then there was something like "he's bleeding to death, i can't help him", but he didn't die.
This is a serious problem. Please update and restart it if you can, it will cause more trouble than it seems to cause (preventing the unit from being autorecalled when it should be).
I didn't expect wesnoth to behave this way and so I have verified that this dialogue appears when it should but not that it doesn't appear when it shouldn't.
Raijer wrote:You're supposed to choose your class at the start ???????
Yes. Also name and legacy.
iceiceice wrote:Dugi, Raijer: There was a bug that crept in in 1.11.17 in {MOVE_UNIT} unfortunately.
Thanks for this information, I've written a warning about this into the add-on's description.
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

Well, new problem: now if i kill the lieutenant, i don't even get to save him, and they're not running away.
To be exact, the diing dialog of the lieutenant triggers directly: starts with "Scoundrels...thought" from the lieutenant, and ends with the elf's line "Why are you calling me a mercenary..." and then it jumps to Rimaru's line where you can choose what to say "Now when we are out of the tavern...".

William Ernest Henley
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

That was intended. If you don't try to explain him what are you fighting for before the combat begins, the option to mercy him will not be available (and his allies will flee only if he turns his coat).
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

Ooops indeed. But still, the problem is that the fleeing dialog is still triggered. (Rimaru asks where they're running to)

William Ernest Henley
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

He wasn't referring to the fleeing soldiers, but to the three Brothers of Light he talked to in the tavern. I will change the dialogue to make it clearer.
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

From now on, i'm playing on 1.10.7 (since you didn't update anything new on 1.11.17) :

New problem: The inventory system doesn't work. I hadn't tried before, but now i understand that it should have appeared in the right-click menu, but there's only "campaign help". Noticed it when i tried picking up my first items and it didn't work.

William Ernest Henley
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Oh, really. Fixed it, please update.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

I've started playing this, and the opening sequence really reminds me of Luther's critique on the catholic church. Was it inspired by this?
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

No. This part was mostly inspired by real world, by politicians and such. But when looking backwards as it, it really reminds Luther and his critique of Catholic Church. It was meant to make the enemy look more realistic.
dabber

Post by dabber »

Bad dialogue at the beginning of Farborough
Rimaru: Why should I? I see a group of armed men. How do I want that you don't bear ill intentions?
"want" should be "know"

After defeating the lieutenant, Rimaru says "Now when we are out of the tavern, we must make a plan. We must catch those Brothers met in the tavern before they bring reinforcements"
They have been out of the tavern for a while, so that first sentence does not make much sense. The second sentence should be "we met", not just "met".
All I did was defeat the lieutenant, not the rest of the guys. So there is still a brother and troops around (white mage, cavalryman, spearmen, fencer), and I haven't noticed anyone who really left. ahhhh .... if I do it again, and save the lieutenant, then the White Mage runs off. That makes more sense. But if I just kill the lieutenant, no one runs away.