The Beautiful Child

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gwen42

Re: The Beautiful Child

Post by gwen42 »

Dugi wrote: June 11th, 2018, 5:53 am Doesn't happen to me, but my version of Wesnoth is not exactly up-to-date and I cannot update it right now, so I'll have to write the report based on your observation. Your version is 1.14.2, I see, but what operating system do you use?
Mac OS 10.13.4
Thanks for keeping on top of things. I love this campaign.

EDIT: I upgraded to Wesnoth version 1.14.3 just now, and Wesnoth still crashed at the end of turn 3.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Grummel wrote: June 11th, 2018, 2:29 pm It's the first one I tried with the invincible extension and it was interesting for a change, but the hero characters got a little overpowered after a while. In fact in Siege of Ziggurat my heroes killed all opposition so quickly that Konrad's troops were unable to deal even a single blow.
I am aware of this problem but I can't find a good solution to this problem.
Grummel wrote: June 11th, 2018, 2:29 pm I played with BfW 1.12 and I had the same problem as norskimo in Coming of the Tide.
What operating system do you have?
Grummel wrote: June 11th, 2018, 2:29 pm
Spoiler:
I found the cause. I am not uploading the fix right now, because more bug reports may follow.
gwen42 wrote: June 12th, 2018, 1:34 am EDIT: I upgraded to Wesnoth version 1.14.3 just now, and Wesnoth still crashed at the end of turn 3.
I reported it here. No developer can reproduce it. Can you give some more information?
Last edited by Ravana on June 13th, 2018, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add protocol to link
gwen42

Post by gwen42 »

Dugi wrote: June 12th, 2018, 6:11 am
gwen42 wrote: June 12th, 2018, 1:34 am EDIT: I upgraded to Wesnoth version 1.14.3 just now, and Wesnoth still crashed at the end of turn 3.
I reported it here. No developer can reproduce it. Can you give some more information?
I'll attempt to give more info. I restarted the scenario (but not the campaign) to see if that was the problem (corrupt file?), and it crashed at the end of turn 3, as before. A crash report came up (screenshot below).
crash report
crash report
Full text of the report is in the attached rtf file (it was too long to post here):
Crash Report.rtf
Full Crash Report
(66.31 KiB) Downloaded 468 times
Unfortunately, I don't know how to get into the coding and such to see if there's any bugs there, but I hope the information I've provided helps. :oops:
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

It contains a lot of useful information. You need a special program to get which lines in the source code those numbers point to, but someone has it. The developers have noticed your post.

EDIT: They've found some relevant stuff there.
Clearkill

Post by Clearkill »

I think I'm getting the same error message. I'm on turn 3 of Coming of the Tide and every time I click end turn I get the following error message shortly after.

I'm running Wesnoth 1.14.4 on Windows 10 64-bit.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Clearkill wrote: September 1st, 2018, 11:44 pm I think I'm getting the same error message. I'm on turn 3 of Coming of the Tide and every time I click end turn I get the following error message shortly after.

I'm running Wesnoth 1.14.4 on Windows 10 64-bit.
The error is being researched by the developers here and it appears to be a very complex bug. It is suspected that the cause is an AI side having two leaders. Maybe you could upload a save file where you hit End Turn and it happens.
Clearkill

Post by Clearkill »

Uploaded it to Google Drive, here's the link. Thanks for the quick response. Also I've spent many hours enjoying LotI, you're awesome.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Clearkill wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 7:24 pm Uploaded it to Google Drive, here's the link. Thanks for the quick response. Also I've spent many hours enjoying LotI, you're awesome.
Thanks ^_^ According to the discussion, the save file allows reproducing the bug on Linux, which is where it becomes very helpful.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Perhaps more related to this add-on specifically, I also noticed the following in the log when loading the save:

Code: Select all

20180903 14:41:35 warning general: no location found for 'data/add-ons/The_Beatiful_Child/translations', skipping textdomain
20180903 14:41:39 warning preprocessor: Redefining macro BUY_GEM without explicit #undef at ~add-ons/The_Beautiful_Child/scenarios/Thunderhold.cfg:1748
    included from ~add-ons/The_Beautiful_Child/_main.cfg:54
previously defined at ~add-ons/Legend_of_the_Invincibles/utils/utils.cfg:223
    included from ~add-ons/The_Beautiful_Child/_main.cfg:46
Then when the map is displayed:

libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
Then when clicking End Turn:

20180903 14:41:44 error engine: failed to auto-store $second_unit at (-999,-999)
20180903 14:41:44 error engine: failed to auto-store $second_unit at (-999,-999)
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Pentarctagon wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 7:54 pm Perhaps more related to this add-on specifically, I also noticed the following in the log when loading the save:
[...]
I have learned long ago that fixing WML warnings is not worth the time. They are worth checking only if something breaks.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Dugi wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 7:51 pm
Clearkill wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 7:24 pm Uploaded it to Google Drive, here's the link. Thanks for the quick response. Also I've spent many hours enjoying LotI, you're awesome.
Thanks ^_^ According to the discussion, the save file allows reproducing the bug on Linux, which is where it becomes very helpful.
Yeah, this was very helpful, thanks. We (gfgtdf, mostly) have figured out what is going on and are working on finding the best fix for it. In the meantime, if you wanted to keep going from one of your saves, you could unzip and open the save, and then look for this code block:

[candidate_action]
					engine="cpp"
					id="leader_shares_keep"
					max_score=10000
					name="ai_default_rca::leader_shares_keep_phase"
					score=10000
				[/candidate_action]
Just search for and remove all of them (there should be around 10). In principle you only need to remove one of them for this scenario, but it's easier to just remove them all than to figure out which one to remove.

Alternatively, Dugi could work around this bug by removing the leader_shares_keep candidate action from sides that have more than one leader. Either way, we'll have this fixed for 1.14.5.
Clearkill

Post by Clearkill »

mattsc wrote: September 8th, 2018, 3:05 pm
Dugi wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 7:51 pm
Yeah, this was very helpful, thanks. We (gfgtdf, mostly) have figured out what is going on and are working on finding the best fix for it. In the meantime, if you wanted to keep going from one of your saves, you could unzip and open the save, and then look for this code block:

[candidate_action]
					engine="cpp"
					id="leader_shares_keep"
					max_score=10000
					name="ai_default_rca::leader_shares_keep_phase"
					score=10000
				[/candidate_action]
Just search for and remove all of them (there should be around 10). In principle you only need to remove one of them for this scenario, but it's easier to just remove them all than to figure out which one to remove.

Alternatively, Dugi could work around this bug by removing the leader_shares_keep candidate action from sides that have more than one leader. Either way, we'll have this fixed for 1.14.5.
Awesome mod team, thank you guys for fixing this!

I tried doing what you suggested and couldn't get it to work myself. All the altered saves ended up corrupted. Even unpacking a fresh working save and directly repacking it corrupts the save. All the saves are packed as .gz files, I can only pack .rar and what have you. A brief Google search for a .gz packer led me down a developers rabbit hole, which I have no clue how to navigate. Is there an easily accessible .gz packer, or is the corruption from something else?
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Actually, you don’t have to repack it at all. You can just load the text file.
Clearkill

Post by Clearkill »

Good stuff, got it working now and past turn 3. Cheers to you folks!
gwen42

Post by gwen42 »

With a little help from hrubymar10, I was able to get past that turn and finish the campaign. Excellent work. Once again, thank you for all the hard work!