WesCraft - new mini multiplayer mod

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eagle_11

Re: WesCraft - new mini multiplayer mod

Post by Eagle_11 »

Crashed Wesnoth when trying to build a castle:
The Peasant and King given at begin have been both fog clearer unit, was that normal ?
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

The report means that the game crashed because of a bug in GUI2.

I'm actually surprised because there shouldn't even have been any GUI2 involved there afaik, themeWML is not gui2 and I thought neither is the right click menu. Maybe it was trying to create a menu / objectives screen or something with gui2 and it crashed before it could show it?
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

Im really busy at the mo but will do a bit of testing tomorrow night had to leave wesnoth projects a while but ill be back sn..
Maintainer of Conquest (Original Gameplay), Conquest+, Conquest+ Space/Ranged, Chaoz Battle of the Wizards, Lazersquad (squad game), WesCraft (building MP game)
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

I'm afraid I couldn't replicate the error, I tried building all the different radius options for castle in the builder's engineer menu and it always worked ok even when overlapping existing terrain, I tried this in 1.12 and 1.12.1 (the latest one you are using).
Just out of interest what OS are you using? When I get more time I will try this on Linux.
You might have out of date C++ libraries perhaps, maybe Wesnoth didn't overwrite existing libraries, you may need to go into windows programmes and uninstall C++ then reinstall Wesnoth?
Maintainer of Conquest (Original Gameplay), Conquest+, Conquest+ Space/Ranged, Chaoz Battle of the Wizards, Lazersquad (squad game), WesCraft (building MP game)
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Windows 7 i am using,
hmm i just checked and latest C++ is of year 2010, i need to update :mrgreen:
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

I have noticed a problem in WesCraft where if the King unit is loaded in a boat (theoretically same for transport wagon), then you can't use certain options when playing such as firing missiles, building new units or buildings.
Last edited by Gwledig on April 6th, 2015, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwledig

Re: WesCraft - new mini multiplayer mod 1.8.1

Post by Gwledig »

I'm just uploading WesCraft to 1.8.1

I have set boats so they cannot load a King unit. Unfortunately, when a King is loaded on a boat this removes the king from the map, all the traits the king has learned (technologies) are also removed, preventing a lot of actions dependant on tech you have learned, such as firing missiles or building units. I will try to think of a way around this, but it's a consequence of how I designed WesCraft. I may change the King into a "Capitol" so you start with a fancy building which must be destroyed to be defeated, at the moment however I can't change this due to lack of time, it would also change the gameplay slightly and mean a lot of text needs editing, so for now you simply can't load the King in a boat... you can of course make bridges across water using the engineer option to transform terrain.

Other updates in this version:

Fixed the icon in addon server
Fixed the missing icon for horsemanship upgrade in workshop
Fixed descriptions in boat build menu and for warcart (in war factory) to indicate non-King units can be loaded
Fixed description in boat menu to show how the menu will be hidden if more than 1 adjacent units/structure is present
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

WesCraft 1.8.2

Fixed flowers terrain (GgF) issue on Tangia map
Fixed missing icons in menus due to Wesnoth 12.0.1 changes e.g. missing mage apprentice spells
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

version="1.8.3"

Removed dock building and the "wagon" land transport unit from war factory, this is because I felt the transports & boats added an unnecessary layer of complexity to the mod, it's a lot simpler now with just land based gameplay, there were also some WML issues with the way I had used units for buildings which I don't want to go into the detail about & this caused conflicts with the way boats and transports were working. Overall this makes WesCraft a lot simpler and easier to play. Maps with water which depended on use of boats have also been removed.
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

WesCraft version="1.8.4"

Added instruction how to view the Random maps in the game lobby setup in opening screen & in-game Scenario Objectives:

- To make the 'Random' maps available in the game lobby, change 'Game Type' to 'Random Maps'
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

Minor fix, the grenadier's "grenade" needed a wider halo to show the radius damage to be inflicted...
Jarom
Location: Green Isle, Irdya or Poland, Earth - I'm not quite sure

Post by Jarom »

Some things to change (for me):
-add gold mine terrain, because flags aren't well-visible (I can do it if you don't know how)
-reduce Siege Cart missiles' radius halo
-change "Discharge missiles" to "Fire missile"
that's all about mistakes, now ideas:
-restore Dock and battleships, maybe without transport, because gameplay isn't as interesting as it was.
-change buildings' costs, it's to easy to get them all now, and also too easy to destroy them. I suggest more building hitpoints, and more cost for all and/or increase cost of upgrades in workshop
-make walls better, the Rampart for 4 gp has 100 hp and towers has all 200hp, with 6gp or 8gp when they can fire missiles, so it's better to build tower-based fortress than to build walls-towers fortress
-change mechanism to fire missiles, because now some sides has an advance in it
-do something with melee units, decrease costs to minimum or increase their armor, because mages can easily take them all down with 1-3 arc spells, and he can do it from very far distance, what makes them (except of calvary) almost completely useless
-also it'll be good, if you change something in arc spell
-move time delimeter to scenario options or something (I didn't tried it before, but i saw a documentation of it) and add longer options
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

version="1.8.6"

some updates based on Jaron's requests, which I tend to agree with in the most part -
Some things to change (for me):
-add gold mine terrain, because flags aren't well-visible (I can do it if you don't know how)
I don't think it's possible to add custom terrain in this kind of MP scenario, you'd need to include proper custom terrains and users would need to download the mod to join a game in the lobby, so for now I'd rather not add this kind of content. I'll do some testing with custom terrain to see if there is a way to do this but I don't want this to be download dependant, I've seen other mods become dead when they go this way.
-reduce Siege Cart missiles' radius halo
yep there is no radius damage so it should be 72 (1 hex) instead of 200 radius halo (1 radius).
-change "Discharge missiles" to "Fire missile"
OK, I changed this on intro, help, menus, missile interface screen etc.
that's all about mistakes, now ideas:
only the extra halo was arguably a mistake lol
-restore Dock and battleships, maybe without transport, because gameplay isn't as interesting as it was.
I'm having a think how to add this back in whilst overcoming the bug I mentioned in my other earlier post, not 100% sure this mod needs boats though.
-change buildings' costs, it's to easy to get them all now, and also too easy to destroy them. I suggest more building hitpoints, and more cost for all and/or increase cost of upgrades in workshop
I agree buildings are too easy to acquire (build for gold) and probably to easy to destroy, I am doubling hitpoints and cost of all structures... remember, the siege weapons can do x6 dam to structures.
-make walls better, the Rampart for 4 gp has 100 hp and towers has all 200hp, with 6gp or 8gp when they can fire missiles, so it's better to build tower-based fortress than to build walls-towers fortress
The hp of wall is now doubled... but I have changed the cost of defences as follows:

Palisade is now 3
Rampart .. 5
Watchtower .. 8
Guard tower .. 14
Cannon tower (radius dam) .. 20

I also doubled the cost of all upgrades in the workshop as these were too easy to acquire.

I added a new technology in the workshop - "Scripture", this is required to learn Divine and Hermetic lore in the workshop.
-change mechanism to fire missiles, because now some sides has an advance in it
At the moment all players are in the same situation with projectiles appearing from NW anti-clockwise, so it's balanced this is an extremely simple mechanic to use for missiles also used in my other mods, I have found a way to give the player the option of what hex to choose, but this would add more complexity to the game I think, I am intending to come up with a completely new mechanic for projectiles soon for all my mods but haven't decided which type to go for yet.
-do something with melee units, decrease costs to minimum or increase their armour, because mages can easily take them all down with 1-3 arc spells, and he can do it from very far distance, what makes them (except of Calvary) almost completely useless
Well if you have learned scripture, hermetic lore, built a mage tower, recruited a mage and then paid the gold and hit points for mage radius spell, and defended the mage from wizard slayer, are you not entitled to decimate your mundane opponents with magic? remember, the wizard slayer can do x6 dam to mages. I have however reduced the cost of all normal units aside from mages by 1gp.
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

I have updated Wescraft on the 1.14 server, please also see this announcement:

Code: Select all

https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=50203#p645004
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

When choosing game screen says Conquor, while it should be Conquer.

Intro screen says 1 mv points, I suppose it should be 1 MP points.