Simyr

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

oaq

Simyr

Post by oaq »

Three years ago, one of this forum's best threads ever regarded Simyr:

http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?t=33511

What is Simyr? Answer:
Spoiler:
Others have contended that Simyr is attainable only with good luck. I used to agree, but now find that the right strategy attains Simyr with merely average luck. This post explains how.
Spoiler:
Update a month later: In case you have not yet succeeded using this post's advice, I have posted further details in the thread. See Fighters and archers, below. Moreover, one or two other writers have added interesting advice below, as well.
Last edited by oaq on August 11th, 2014, 2:44 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Simyr

Post by Turuk »

A well-written walkthrough oaq, and one I want to try soon as your method sounds better than the one I used previously.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
oaq

Post by oaq »

Turuk: If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested to hear about the method you used previously.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

oaq wrote:Turuk: If you have the time and the inclination, I would be interested to hear about the method you used previously.
I just got back from a two week trip, let me dig through my old stuff and see if I still have the replay sitting around.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Theron

Post by Theron »

There is a way to get Simyr reliably: use 3 Elvish Rangers for assassination of the orc leader. First attack on turn 8 and finish on turn 9: 2 turns * 3 units * 7-4 (8-4 if dextrous) vs. 58 HP (60% defense). 2 Elvish Rangers could be sufficient with a bit luck.

Now the hard part is to get 3 Elvish Rangers in The Elves Besieged. This is not guaranteed. Recruit only archers and shamans (70% defense in forests). Hope that the green leader does not recruit too many assassins (hard to kill in forests but you only get XP for killing a level 1 unit). Hope that brown doesn't steal too much (level 2) kills.

Maybe I find old replays of the scenarios 1-2.

Edit:
Attached replays of the scenarios 1-2 (Wesnoth 1.11.16).
I didn't get Simyr this time because of a ******* troll whelp saved the leader from getting ZOCed.
Attachments
HttT-Blackwater_Port_replay.gz
(25.7 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
HttT-The_Elves_Besieged_replay.gz
(34.95 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
oaq

Post by oaq »

Good alternative. With Theron's addition, this thread now offers two ways to get Simyr.
I didn't get Simyr this time because of a ******* troll whelp saved the leader from getting ZOCed.
Yes. Even a good strategy must stretch to get Simyr. Bad luck at the crucial moment can still beat you. A good strategy does seem to tip the odds in Konrad's favor, though.

Thanks.
oaq

Fighters and archers

Post by oaq »

Further improve your odds with the right balance of fighters and archers.
Spoiler:
nudrat

Post by nudrat »

I watched the replay. Two enchantresses on the first scenario is quite impressive. Just as your detailed explanations are. I will try this strategy one day, since I started to play HttT on hard and I'm stuck at Elensefar.
nudrat