Secrets of the Ancients (Undead Campaign)

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Secrets of the Ancients (Undead Campaign)

Post by beetlenaut »

There are some changes, but I think a few more strings might change, so you can wait a bit.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

beetlenaut wrote:I didn't think the wolf zombie I drew was good enough to go through the trouble of drawing a soulless one and animating them both. The "rat" being there at all is a mistake. It was actually my first, quick attempt at drawing a wolf! It's way too big to work as a zombie rat. I would certainly prefer good wolf and rat zombies, but I don't think I am the one to draw them. If someone else draws them, I can probably animate them though. (The rider and saurian zombies were the choices of the original authors of those units; not my choice.)
I'm not sure to what you were referring, but there is now an Zombie and Soulless Wolf.
viewtopic.php?f=9&p=607468#p607468
Try out the dark board theme.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Yes, I know. Vyncyn drew them for SotA, and they will be in 1.13.7.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
zepko

Post by zepko »

Bug report: in scenario Abandoned Outpost, after killing the last enemy, I get the following error message

Code: Select all

game_error: creating unit with an empty type field
stack traceback:
	[C]: in field 'create_unit'
	lua/wml-tags.lua:1027: in local 'cmd'
	lua/wml-utils.lua:137: in field 'handle_event_commands'
	lua/wml-flow.lua:6: in function <lua/wml-flow.lua:5>
	[C]: in field 'fire_event'
	lua/wml-tags.lua:145: in local 'cmd'
	lua/wml-flow.lua:20: in local 'cmd'
	lua/wml-flow.lua:6: in function <lua/wml-flow.lua:5>
and the scenario does not end as it should. If I move the two leaders to the western exit after that, the scenario still does not end. Replay attached.
Playing version 1.1.2b on Wesnoth 1.13.6.
Attachments
SotA-Abandoned_Outpost_replay.gz
(46.28 KiB) Downloaded 671 times
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

zepko wrote:Bug report: in scenario Abandoned Outpost, after killing the last enemy, I get the following error message...

...Playing version 1.1.2b on Wesnoth 1.13.6.
This looks like a error in the event at line 606 in the Abandoned Outpost scenario. Since none of your leaders have left the map, it's attempting to unstore a unit from an empty variable. I've made a fix for this for SotA in Wesnoth 1.13.7

To continue your game, one way to get around it now would be to go back to a save before you kill the last enemy, and move one of your two leaders to the exit first before making the last kill.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

To be honest im not a big fan of Wesnoth campaigns, most of them are just boring stories with more boring characters, and 'kill all leaders', time-consuming maps. I stopped playing a lot of them because of that.
But this was just great, easily one of the best (if not the best) campaigns i ever played. It's challenging enough on Hard, and there are no silly and pointless 'lets give the AI 1000 gold and hf' maps. If nothing else, the environment makes the level unusual. The story and the characters are also 10/10. Blackwater was my favourite level, and ofc undead Rudic.
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

(deleted)
Last edited by revolting_peasant on December 23rd, 2017, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

revolting_peasant wrote:Is it really a good idea to place this campaign immediately after Descent into Darkness (seeing this with 1.13.8)? Two Undead camaigns back to back?
Can you clarify this? When I look at the Campaign menu, SotA & DiD are not next to each other in 1.13.8 or no matter how I sort the list with the new name & date sort in 1.13.10. Are you on a system where all the mainline campaigns are not installed? Something else?
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
revolting_peasant

SigurdFireDragon wrote:
revolting_peasant wrote:Can you clarify this?
Sorry, I'm an idiot, ignore my last post.
revolting_peasant

So I've advanced a bit with the campaign, and I have some more feeback. Some of that is spoilery, so I'll cover the whole thing.
Spoiler:
Last edited by revolting_peasant on February 18th, 2018, 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

A lot of this is subjective. I loved the saurian healer, as well as the new name!
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Some of your points about the story and dialog are valid. I'm aware the text isn't perfect, but it's not my strong suit. I would not be offended if you posted suggestions in the writers forum, but SigurdFireDragon is the maintainer now and has the final say on changes. (Though strings are frozen at the moment so we can get 1.14 translated, and nothing is going to change at least until it comes out.)

Edit: The map for "The Mage" is not my favorite either, but I didn't make it. That's where Crelanu lives in LoW, which takes place just before this campaign.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

For me, the transformation doesn't need more drama. I thought SotA deliberately used the wording from DiD, and skipped over the details that were covered in DiD; but DiD is about someone learning from a book and a teacher, whereas SotA seems to be about a genius who's managing to work it out herself, and then hoping to teach the world.
Spoiler:
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

octalot wrote:I thought SotA deliberately used the wording from DiD
Minor Spoilers:
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Spoiler:
For me, it worked well in SotA, keeping up the pace for getting in to the next fight.