Where does this evolution of sprites lead?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Where does this evolution of sprites lead?

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

could you please publish these images in this forum topic?
or otherwise make them easily available so that whoever would like to insert them into their addon will not have to waste their time searching for them in git repo
Check the "A Rough Life" UMC addon. It has the sprites and unit file
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
egallager

Post by egallager »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:47 am
could you please publish these images in this forum topic?
or otherwise make them easily available so that whoever would like to insert them into their addon will not have to waste their time searching for them in git repo
Check the "A Rough Life" UMC addon. It has the sprites and unit file
Hm, looks like the thread for it is here: https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?t=21718
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

What if we could choose between different animation styles?

I am not sure it would be worth the implementation effort, but in regards to the initial complaint
we could then perhaps choose different models. Or let wesnoth autogenerate animated sprites
if that were possible. Perhaps A.I. could help here eventually. Just throwing out some buzzwords. :P

To me, animation, is secondary. I am more interested in the actual gameplay, looking to win a
scenario, focus on this or that unit and so forth.
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

@lea ask and you shall receive.

I added more frames to the folder but unfortunately the animation I extracted frames from has at some point lost its alpha channel, it got merged with the background color, so you'll have to make do with some yucky artifacts. But they're green so it works for most terrains. The original gif is in the first post of the thread, in case anyone wants to try extracting the frames themselves and preserving the alpha somehow.

Another thing: some of the frames are absolutely horrid quality, they look like they were downscaled using the world's blurriest scaling algorithm. The ONLY image I de-jpg-ified myself is the standing frame of the touched-up version of the dragon, everything else is left as-is and I don't wish to maintain it, so again, feel free to fix it up yourself if you have the skill (that is directed towards all add-on creators who use this dragon). Maybe the original artist has high quality versions of all these images preserved somewhere, but it's been like a decade...

The folder now contains 48 images.
Attachments
fire-dragon.zip
(787.43 KiB) Downloaded 31 times