War of the Jewel: SP Campaign, 1.11+ (Feedback & Reviews)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revansurik

War of the Jewel: SP Campaign, 1.11+ (Feedback & Reviews)

Post by revansurik »

And so, as promised, I've uploaded my new campaign, Part II of the Dragon Trilogy and sequel to A Song of Fire: War of the Jewel! :-D

A brief description...

Part IV: City of the Sun - Centuries have passed since the refugees of the Last War, led by Myra of Hiera'Shirsha and the Exodus Heroes, have established a new city for themselves in the faraway Netjer-Ta, the golden Maat'Kare; although they are constantly combatting foes who threaten to conquer them, the Maat'Karians have experienced times of relative comfort. However, this age of peace is soon to end, when the ancient evil that nearly destroyed their ancestors reappears at the very heart of their civilization, attracting upon itself the greedy eyes of darkly neighbours... And, in this brewing storm, the young Akhen Wadjet, Myra's last heir, will be forced to overcome his fears and doubts to protect the legacy his ancestor gave her own life for...

As always, a few questions to help me improve it ;-)

1.How do you rate the difficulty of this campaign in general?(1-10; I thought of it as a Medium-Hard campaign)
2.Which portions of the campaign do you find to be too easy or too hard that may need to be rebalanced?
3.How do you find the storyline and the conversation of the campaign?
4.What changes do you think may be made to make the campaign more interesting?
5.If you know about Wesnoth Markup Language(WML),please comment on the WML of the various scenarios, suggesting on how they may be improved.

A few notes:
- This campaign continues the story of A Song of Fire; as such, previous knowledge of this campaign may be helpful to better understand the events, characters and places, but I tried to make it so that even those who haven't played it may understand what's going on.
- The central faction in War of the Jewel is the Maat'Karians; I based much of it on Ancient Egyptian culture, using many Ancient Egyptian names as well. If you wish to know more about all those weird names, just go to the readme.txt file in the campaign's folder.
- If you're confused about the chronology of the events, I'm making a timeline in the wiki regarding the events of the Dragon Trilogy; the link to it is on my profile's signature, but it's currently still being worked on, so it's incomplete.

Also, I have two questions for those who have finished, just for fun:
1 - Each of the heroes has a 'fated battle'; what are these fated battles? (Some are not present in Part I)
2 - I've placed a creepy Easter egg in one of the scenarios. To the one that finds it I'm gonna tell the name of the Dragon Trilogy's third and final part :-D

Finally, thanks in advance for playing my campaign!
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
lu_zero

Re: War of the Jewel: SP Campaign, 1.11+ (Feedback & Reviews

Post by lu_zero »

/home/lu_zero/.local/share/wesnoth/1.11/data/add-ons/War_of_the_Jewel/_main.cfg
ERROR DETAILS:
preprocessor symbol 'MISSILE_FRAME_MUZZLE_FLARE_MISS' expects 2 arguments, but has 0 arguments at ~add-ons/War_of_Legends/units/human-legion/Dark_Elite_Gunner.cfg:93 included from ~add-ons/War_of_Legends/units/human-legion.cfg:1 included from ~add-ons/War_of_the_Jewel/_main.cfg:117
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

This is a problem of the era War of Legends... which version of it do you have? I have the latest version,1.1.0, and I didn't get this problem...

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

This is actually dependent on the Wesnoth version used, rather than the version of the add-on. The mainline macro MISSILE_FRAME_MUZZLE_FLARE_MISS was changed from needing no arguments to requiring 2 argument (X and Y) on 3 September 2013. If you have a version of Wesnoth earlier than that (1.11.6 and earlier), it works with no arguments. Versions more recent than that (1.11.6+dev; 1.11.7) require the macro to be called with two arguments.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

I see; I coded this campaign using version 1.11.6 :-/ Well, I'll message Knightmare, War of Legends' author, and ask him to do something about it; in the meanwhile, please play War of the Jewel in v. 1.11.1-6. Sorry for the inconvenience :oops:

;-)
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

Overall the first scenario had been interesting albeit sort of slow, the second one seems next to impossible, the terrains is against you, the leader is horribly slow and doesn't matter what you recruit the air elementals ranged attack is going to instakill them.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Overall the first scenario had been interesting albeit sort of slow, the second one seems next to impossible, the terrains is against you, the leader is horribly slow and doesn't matter what you recruit the air elementals ranged attack is going to instakill them.
Geesh, and I diminished a lot the number of Zephyrs when I played this scenario... Did you try attacking through the right half of the map - that is, the sunlit area? There the Maat'Karians fight better.
About Hashira being slow... Well, I noticed that too at certain height, but since I didn't use her very much, I didn't do anything about that - but she does have the 'quick' trait. Maybe I'll reduce her movement cost on sandy terrain then... :hmm:

;-)
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

My solution there had been spamming wisps and have them shield the mage while few try to hit the exit.
I tend to use the leaders a lot, the following levels felt ok-ish beside the leaders being a bit slow or totally slow in the snow.

The story so far is nice.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

I tend to use the leaders a lot, the following levels felt ok-ish beside the leaders being a bit slow or totally slow in the snow.
Well, I could have given them maatkarianlightfoot like I did with Atenak, thus they'd have no movement cost on snow, but there's a reason I didn't do it: Akhen, Merwe and Mahyus are Academy students, they don't have the physique of trained Maat'Karian soldiers like Atenak ;-)
On normal terrain, however, they shouldn't be slow, as they have a 6 hex movement...

;-)
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

if you add an optional movement upgrade would be great =)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Then they would get way too quick for mere mages... However, I did have an idea for Part V; since the three of them will be more seasoned by then, their physique will have improved, and so their movement cost on sandy/snowy terrain may be decreased. After all, there'll be some snowy scenarios on Part V... ;-)

;-)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I fixed that bug in WOL ages ago. You guys should download the new version from Github, then again, never mind. I have uploaded a fix.
I have downloaded WotJ and I shall start playing it soon.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

The fix makes one of the units used disappear =/
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

The fix makes one of the units used disappear =/
Which unit disapears? I'm replaying all the scenarios, but I haven't missed any unit... :hmm:
BTW, I'll soon release the next version with some important fixes, it should be done by Friday :-)

EDIT: And so it couldn't get done by Friday, my PC broke that day, so the new version should only be done by the end of this week :-S

;-)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Well, in the end I managed to conclude the revision of Part IV sooner than I expected... :-P
Amongst the many tweaks, I fixed a grave bug in scenario Immortal Fire, where the portal's destruction's event was triggered by moving to a hex that was far away from the actual portal. Silly mistake, I know, but in my defence I can say that nobody warned me of that, so...

Well, here is the changelog for version 0.1.1:

Code: Select all

- Units:
  - Gave Nyx a new special AMLA
  - Gave Atenak another melee attack bonus as special AMLA
  - Created new unit, Soul Manifestation
  - Fixed Merwe's missing defense anim
  - Reduced Imey'er's and A'aneb's attack
  - Reduced Migdol Guard's spear attack
  - Added missing hero icon to Sadjet Merewi
  - Increased Menon's defence on water
- Scenarios:
  - Prologue I: Added partial shroud to the map
  - Prologue II: Reduced number of elementals; made two separate end scenario events, depending on who finds the Sky Soul
  - Children of Darkness: Altered dialogue event at turn 2; allied leader is now a Imey'er
  - Sea of Fire: Reduced player's initial income
  - Crimson Ice - Part II: placed a keep near the cave's end
  - Dark Eclipse: Reduced the amount of gold Jevyan receives during second reinforcement
  - True Darkness: Argatyr, Stygia and the orc leader now appear while talking
  - Immortal Fire: Fixed bug related to the portal location; Menon and Sadjet now begin with full hp, even if they ended 'Dark Eclipse' with low hp
- Abilities
  - Inspire Lvl 3 only increases allied lvl 3 attacks in 10%
- Factions:
  - Added 3 new factions: Chomi, Washraha and Deshra; descriptions are still to be added

;-)