Dawn of Thunder [SP campaign for 1.16.x]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Inky
Forum Moderator

Re: Dawn of Thunder [SP campaign for 1.11.10 and later]

Post by Inky »

Hey, first of all I am really excited that this campaign is getting updated because I loved it! :D I'll definitely give it another playthrough when I get the chance!

The latest version 0.1.7 crashes Wesnoth once you start the campaign though - there is an extra "2" in line 9 of the scenario test.cfg:
{DOT_INCLUDE utils/freezing-utils2.cfg}
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Thanks for the encouraging comment and the notice about the error. :)
0.1.7a is up on the add-on server.
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Nice to see you still working on Dawn of Thunder
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Dawn of Thunder [SP campaign for 1.13.x and later]

Post by Paulomat4 »

Dawn of thunder version 0.1.8 has been uploaded to the add-on server!

I am happy to announce that I was able to create 3 more new scenarios :D (thus we have 17 scenarios now). not many other things have changed, but here is the changelog for the sake of completeness:

Code: Select all

-New Scenarios: 15, 16, 17
-Now loading core campaign units instead of custom ones when possible
-minor change to the cuttthroat sprite 
I'd be particularly interested in any balancing suggestions for scenario 17 (Jotha). Also any start of scenario saves could prove to be very helpful for me. :)

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
taptap

Post by taptap »

May I ask how unfinished this campaign is? (The intro post or umc list entry aren't exactly up to date.)
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

May I ask how unfinished this campaign is? (The intro post or umc list entry aren't exactly up to date.)
Sure. We're in the middle of the third chapter and there's at least one more chapter planned. Each chapter has 7 scenarios so we're at 18/28 scenarios. :) I'm sure it's still going to take at least a year, until I get it finished although a year and a half is probably more realistic. I had a good workflow the last few months but university has started again, so it's surely going to slow down again.

Chep

Post by Chep »

Hey there,

I'm currently playing your campaign and really enjoying it for the most part (Wesnoth 1.13.7, downloaded the campaign 1-2 days ago, so should be current version), so please take the statements below as me trying to help improve an already good campaign.

General:

- I think you're giving out too many random loyal units. Like, I love that I get 2 mages early on, and the Skirmisher is nice, but why should I need a Spearman & a Human Archer? Sure, loyal lvl3 units are always cool but are they really useful or needed? They don't bring enough uniqueness, imho. Also why should I want lvl 0 peasants in the middle of the campaign (after fighting the Dark Faeries)? (And it seems a bit crazy from the side of the peasants, "oh, we want to risk our life with these elves that run from strong enemies and constantly get into battles")

- the difficulty level between the maps varies quite a bit

Specific (sorry, don't know the names of all the maps, so descriptions will have to do for some):

- The "help elves fight Nagas (& Orcs & Goblins) map". Is it really necessary that I move to the elves keep and recruit there? I'd find it a lot more convenient if I could just recruit them where I start. Also, the Naga leader seems to have tons of money and I have no good path towards him, so I had the problem that the Orc leader died first and I didn't get to kill him. Could we maybe get an option to keep fighting if we want? (like "Thank you for helping us" - "You're welcome, we'll move on now/We can't leave you with these Nagas still around, let's get rid of them now")

- The "Boss Fight" against the evil tree. This was....really underwhelming. I think maps like these work well with the player only being allowed to recruit 1-2 keeps full of troops before the keeps vanish. Also, the allied troops seemed pretty pointless. Maybe just have me accompagnied by a leader +2-3 bodyguard that just passively watch what I do?

- The "Help druids against elven spirits" map was really fun. really enjoyed it. Great level to farm XP. Minor annoyance: I had a lvl 0 walking corpse spawn 1-2 turns after the rest of the final wave, forcing me to move my troops back to already "cleansed" areas. Overall I think this level could be a bit more difficult, maybe increase the number of lvl 2+3 elven spirits for the last 2 waves or so? I came out of this with almost 600 gold (and I didn't even try to steal all my allies villages)

- "The Grand Meeting". This one is incredibly annoying. Why don't you just tell me from the start that I have to survive 30ish turns? I thought "okay, survive only 2 days, no bonus for killing enemy leaders...." and recruited accordingly (by the way those lvl 2 orcish assassins are annoying). Since this level is intended to drain the players gold (and possibly thin out her troops a bit), it'd be nice to know roughly what's expected of you.

edit:

- the tunnel map where you meet the dwarves is.....weird. If you dont move your troops and just send one unit towards the draves, then the ghosts will spawn on top of you, you can recruit reinforcements and immediately take 1-3 of them out. Similarly the dwarves have really high chance to just kill the undead leader the turn after he spawns, when he takes the village next to the dwarves. This removes 2 threats from this map almost from the start. HOWEVER, the trolls are insane, they have so many exits and so much damage. It might work out better if you let the other 2 enemies alive but still...they feel a bit too strong imho.

- on Wild Steppe I got the merman twice. Same guy, same name, same unit type, same dialogue. Once when I entered his village and once right after killing the last enemy leader. (Also the text mentions a "makeermen haven" should probably be "mermen haven", I'd think)

That being said, it's a good campaign and I wouldn't play and post here it if I didn't like it :)
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hello Chep!

First of all, thanks for the detailed feedback. Don't worry, negative feedback is best for improvement and I'll happily try to address the issues you've mentioned :)
I think you're giving out too many random loyal units. Like, I love that I get 2 mages early on, and the Skirmisher is nice, but why should I need a Spearman & a Human Archer? Sure, loyal lvl3 units are always cool but are they really useful or needed? They don't bring enough uniqueness, imho.
Honestly, it might be because I love loyal units. It might be a tad too much though, you are right. I'll think about reducing their number. Probably the loyalists you get at the beginning and maybe the elvish hunters you get later.
Also why should I want lvl 0 peasants in the middle of the campaign (after fighting the Dark Faeries)? (And it seems a bit crazy from the side of the peasants, "oh, we want to risk our life with these elves that run from strong enemies and constantly get into battles")
That was supposed to be some kind of reward, if you work for it. Lvl 3 loyalist like the halberdier or royal guard are a lot more durable than their elvish counterparts (at least on flat terrain) and more mobile in caves for example. But you'll have to invest heavily into them to get that advantage. The story reason is that they are so impressed with naia and the groups fight for good that they are inspired to go with them. Don't forget, the group is not fleeing yet, they are royal elvish emissaries on their way to the ka'lian at that specific moment. I might will try to flesh that out more. :)
the difficulty level between the maps varies quite a bit

Which maps in particular do you mean? Balancing is certainly not my biggest strength.
Is it really necessary that I move to the elves keep and recruit there? I'd find it a lot more convenient if I could just recruit them where I start. Also, the Naga leader seems to have tons of money and I have no good path towards him, so I had the problem that the Orc leader died first and I didn't get to kill him. Could we maybe get an option to keep fighting if we want? (like "Thank you for helping us" - "You're welcome, we'll move on now/We can't leave you with these Nagas still around, let's get rid of them now")
Here again I used the reward principle: if you manage to beat the Naga you get rewarded with an item. But you don't have to and you can continue the campaign just fine if you don't.
Normally I try to focus on getting a few flyers (shydes and sylphs)
early on. You should have enough chances to lvl up shamans thanks to all the undead before. Then using alasar, one or two shydes and maybe a sylph to attack the Naga, while holding back on the orc I nearly always manage to beat the Naga. What do you think about adding a message along the lines of "the nagas have been very careful during the siege, I wouldn't wonder if they flee if we defeat the orc."?
I didn't want the Player to be able to recruit instantly so that you're forced to put some experience into your leaders.
The "Boss Fight" against the evil tree. This was....really underwhelming. I think maps like these work well with the player only being allowed to recruit 1-2 keeps full of troops before the keeps vanish.
That is a good idea :) i will Change it accordingly.
I'll also think about what to do with the Ally. Maybe having him on your side just for that scenario could work?
Minor annoyance: I had a lvl 0 walking corpse spawn 1-2 turns after the rest of the final wave, forcing me to move my troops back to already "cleansed" areas. Overall I think this level could be a bit more difficult, maybe increase the number of lvl 2+3 elven spirits for the last 2 waves or so?
The walking corpse was a mistake that shouldn't happen. I will take care of it. I already increased the difficulty by quite a bit for the last few waves. Maybe I'll make the last wave even harder. Keep in mind that the waves are randomly generated and thus you could have had an rather easy run.
The Grand Meeting". This one is incredibly annoying. Why don't you just tell me from the start that I have to survive 30ish turns? I thought "okay, survive only 2 days, no bonus for killing enemy leaders...." and recruited accordingly (by the way those lvl 2 orcish assassins are annoying). Since this level is intended to drain the players gold (and possibly thin out her troops a bit), it'd be nice to know roughly what's expected of you.

that should be an easy fix. And the orcish assigns are just supposed to be that ;)
the tunnel map where you meet the dwarves is.....weird. If you dont move your troops and just send one unit towards the draves, then the ghosts will spawn on top of you, you can recruit reinforcements and immediately take 1-3 of them out. Similarly the dwarves have really high chance to just kill the undead leader the turn after he spawns, when he takes the village next to the dwarves. This removes 2 threats from this map almost from the start. HOWEVER, the trolls are insane, they have so many exits and so much damage. It might work out better if you let the other 2 enemies alive but still...they feel a bit too strong imho.
The ghosts spawning on top of you is really an issue. I have two ideas that come to my mind about how to solve this:
-1: enlarge the southern tunnel. By a few (6/7) hexes to the south. The player still spawns at his actual starting point and the south is already discovered. There shouldn't be any incentive to go south, since there is nothing and if you do not move the ghost still spawn behind you.
-2: make the ghost appear from a new side tunnel west or east from the starting tunnel that only appears once the ghosts are there. So the tunnel walls crumble and the ghost float in.

I'll make sure that the death knight stays immobile, so you can't reach him.

When both undead are alive, they cancel out the troll pretty good. You can also try just blocking the tunnels and create choke points thanks to your miners. (So 1 troll can be attacked by 2-3 of you units.) The loyal hunters are also especially useful since they can slow and deal impact damage on ranged.
on Wild Steppe I got the merman twice. Same guy, same name, same unit type, same dialogue. Once when I entered his village and once right after killing the last enemy leader. (Also the text mentions a "makeermen haven" should probably be "mermen haven", I'd think.
Those are plain bugs which will be fixed of course.

I lost my laptop charger recently and I'm moving into my first apartment right now, so it might take a few weeks until I get all of that fixed. :)

Thank you really much for your feedback!
Kind regards,

Paulomat4

Noella

Post by Noella »

Hey man,

first of all, THANK YOU for that awesome campaign, it was a lot of fun for me so far and it's clear how much effort you put into map/units/storyline/levelbalancing and much more.

I love almost everything about it and it's easily one of my favourite campaigns, including the ones in the main campaign menu.

As far as critizism goes, it's only some minor things:

- As someone already posted above me, the level difficulty varies alot.

Especially the map where you discover the dwarves and get ambushed by ghosts/skeletons was really hard for me. (well, could also be because I suck) :b

Other scenarios, however, seemed a little bit too easy, especially the bossfight with the tree.
I recommend, as already proposed, to limit of recruitable units there.

In the last available scenario, the one at the mermaid city, the necromancer arriving after a couple of turns doesn't recruit for me.
Idk if that's a bug or intended, but as far as difficulty of the scenario goes, it would be no harm to give that poor boy some gold and let him summon some creatures. :b

Also I admit that I still fight with the elves i recruited in the first to second scenario only, no snow fighters, no fire elementars, no anything.
It was not required for me to recruit out of any other fraction, which might just be a sign for some scenarios with special terrain being too easy, I recommend taking some forest away here and there, that might make the player recruit and advance units of other fractions aswell.

All in all I gotta say I had a wonderful experience with your campaign, I hope to continue this journey soon, I'm totally hooked to the story and the variety of objectives (great job on that, too) and I'm very happy I discovered your work, stay at it my friend.

//Edit: I just remembered, in the scenario after the encounter with the dwarves, when the dwarven king lets you recruit 2 of his fighters, I had 0 gold. That could be a bug or because I ended the previous scenario with negative gold. Anyway, just wanted to throw it out there.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hello Noella!

Thank you very much for the comments :)
Especially the map where you discover the dwarves and get ambushed by ghosts/skeletons was really hard for me.
Considering your post and the one obove you I have now made the scenario slightly easier than it was before by making the trolls recruit whelp's as well (for lower per-hex firepower) and removed the chocobones from the undead's recruit list (same reason).
I recommend, as already proposed, to limit of recruitable units there.
I have already implemented this in my version. As soon as scenario 18 is finished I will upload it, together with all the other mentioned bugfixes and balancing suggestions.
In the last available scenario, the one at the mermaid city, the necromancer arriving after a couple of turns doesn't recruit for me.
Idk if that's a bug or intended, but as far as difficulty of the scenario goes, it would be no harm to give that poor boy some gold and let him summon some creatures. :b
That was also a bug that will be fixed with the next update.
Also I admit that I still fight with the elves i recruited in the first to second scenario only, no snow fighters, no fire elementars, no anything.
It was not required for me to recruit out of any other fraction, which might just be a sign for some scenarios with special terrain being too easy, I recommend taking some forest away here and there, that might make the player recruit and advance units of other fractions aswell.
Well, I'm not forcing anyone to use anything :P I for one, find the northguard fighter units quite useful. The wolves as well, they are great scouts. The rocs still have a bug that prevents them from being recruited but they should be pretty useful too at jotha or as scouts.

I'll consider removing a few trees here and there.
All in all I gotta say I had a wonderful experience with your campaign, I hope to continue this journey soon, I'm totally hooked to the story and the variety of objectives (great job on that, too) and I'm very happy I discovered your work, stay at it my friend.
Thank you very much! :D
//Edit: I just remembered, in the scenario after the encounter with the dwarves, when the dwarven king lets you recruit 2 of his fighters, I had 0 gold. That could be a bug or because I ended the previous scenario with negative gold. Anyway, just wanted to throw it out there.
That was a bug as well which has been fixed!

Btw, scenario 18 is already halfway finished, I just need to code a few more events for it. depending on how much time I have I might finish it this weekend or in the following week :)

elfoux

Re: Dawn of Thunder [SP campaign for 1.13.8]

Post by elfoux »

My first post on the forum cuz i have encountered a bug (not the first campaign it happend but i love this one ^_^ )
So the bug appeared in the fourth scenario ( the council) after the dialogue ended, the scenario just didn't end and by the way there was no objectives or anything possible
I'm playing on easy (i'm a casu) and this error appeared
<Lua error lu/wml/endlevel.lua:88: bad argument #3 to '__newindex' (table with unnamed indice holding strings expected) stack traceback:
: in metamethod '__newindex'
lua/wml/endlevel.lua:88: in local 'cmd'
lua/wml-utils.lua:145: in field 'handle-event-commands'
lua/wml-flow.lua:6: in function <lua/wml-flow.lua:5>[/size]
I may be stupid or have done something wrong but please :/

Just tilted that it may have something to do with the fact that i have downloaded 2 differen versions of wesnoth no?
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hello elfroux,

I am not sure what this error means. Have you downloaded two versions of wesnoth and swittched your save from an older to a newer version?
It would be nice if you could upload your start of scenario save, so I can check myself. (The one without -turn at the end of the saves name.)

elfoux

Re: Dawn of Thunder [SP campaign for 1.13.8]

Post by elfoux »

I have absolutely no idea on how to do that :/

edit: just forget it, I don't think that problem will happen to somebody else and i'll try to resolve it on my own. still thanks :p
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

<Lua error lu/wml/endlevel.lua:88: bad argument #3 to '__newindex' (table with unnamed indice holding strings expected) stack traceback:
This looks like a known bug in 1.13.8 . You can download my addon 'lua fixes' which will probably fix it.

@Paulomat4
Whats the state of this campaign, in partcular what wesnoth version are suppported? I see some post with '[SP campaign for 1.13.8]' and others with '[SP campaign for 1.11.10 and later]' that's why i'm confused
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
elfoux

Post by elfoux »

I love you <3
thanks
Last edited by elfoux on July 22nd, 2017, 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.