Dawn of Thunder [SP campaign for 1.16.x]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

denispir

Re: Dawn of Thunder [SP campaign for 1.14.x]

Post by denispir »

Comments on DoT Underground :
* no music
* in scenario file: funny "i" alone line 109 (in side 3, just after wrong indent)
* event turn 4 "no more recruit": should trigger only if (Fiannon) still in bedroom
* on map: strange "black hole" dead end on tile 2-16 (broken bridge?)
* for any reason, the kind of hanging bridges around tile 16-15 are very dark and hard to see (i saw a whelp over a black hole) while the ones above are better visible
* At times, progressing against whelps depends on luck: namely on 2-3 crossings where your front unit faces 2 ennemies.
* finished in 73 turns
* no loss
* I did not note end money but have 417 gold to start next level (have too much since 2nd or 3rd scenario)

I liked this scenario very much but had to restart to know at least the main dead ends (especially south western quarter), and what ways may actually lead to the exit and ennemy keeps. I had 8 units split in 2 groups, each with 1 healer, 1 robust unit, 1 strong magic, 1 fast unit. There were many leveling-ups including AMLAs. 1 group took the eastern route, the other progressed +/- along the median pathes. What do you think? What kind of tactic do you have in mind?

Question: For the Grand Meeting, I could not find the actual programming in the scenario file (found only musics and sides), where is it ?

PS: There should only be spiders at places where we can maneuver, at least to remove the attacked unit and replace it with one that will not die at once. Else, again it is plain luck (=> save-load).
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hello everybody. Thank you for your interest in Dawn of Thunder and your feedback. Every bit is helpful and even if it may not seem so, I make note of every comment and will eventually incorporate thee feedback.
Hello Paulomat,

I'm playing DoT for the 2nd time. First time, I stopped at the scenario where we must kill the old (perverted) wose: just could not do that. Globally, I find it uncredible that elves side with (human) forest destroyers, instead of the opposite. This, despite your attempts at "explanations" about warming homes and the like (and in traditional life, noone kills trees for that...).
The Key point I tried to convey was that the forest creatures were corrupted within the grand scheme of the underlying conspiracy that is going to play out in this campaign. I will try to make more clear that the woses and faeries are really aggressive and are not themselves any more.
Now, I have passed over that and block at the end of Grand Meeting : impossible to find the hidden tunnel. I think I have walked --and stoppped-- units over all hexes west of the valley and south of the crossing, no way. I have even brought the hero on the burnt village right there.
I thought it was rather clear which location was meant, since it is basically the only village in that part of the map. Has anyone else had problems finding the tunnel?
As usual in your campaigns, I find the diff level far above what is said : I play easy and find at least medium, especially the first few scenarios. I had a great difficulty with the very first one. Wanted to play on mediul because it was a restart, impossible for me. Note that I play most standard campaigns, both mainline and user-made, on medium. Yours are pretty hard. Thank you the nice job anyway, Denis
I often find it difficult to correctly judge the difficulty of a scenario. I coast through the campaign on normal, but obviously, I know all tricks and tactics, since I wrote them. I am open to suggestions on how to improve it. :)
PS : The first scenario and another one have an in valid [event] tag IIRC, because of "missing id or name".
noted
Comments on DoT Underground :
* no music
* in scenario file: funny "i" alone line 109 (in side 3, just after wrong indent)
* event turn 4 "no more recruit": should trigger only if (Fiannon) still in bedroom
* on map: strange "black hole" dead end on tile 2-16 (broken bridge?)
* for any reason, the kind of hanging bridges around tile 16-15 are very dark and hard to see (i saw a whelp over a black hole) while the ones above are better visible
* At times, progressing against whelps depends on luck: namely on 2-3 crossings where your front unit faces 2 ennemies.
* finished in 73 turns
* no loss
* I did not note end money but have 417 gold to start next level (have too much since 2nd or 3rd scenario)
thanks for the notes. I'll work on them, eventually.
I liked this scenario very much but had to restart to know at least the main dead ends (especially south western quarter), and what ways may actually lead to the exit and ennemy keeps. I had 8 units split in 2 groups, each with 1 healer, 1 robust unit, 1 strong magic, 1 fast unit. There were many leveling-ups including AMLAs. 1 group took the eastern route, the other progressed +/- along the median pathes. What do you think? What kind of tactic do you have in mind?
I usually split into three groups.
One group, containing the loyal shyde or a sylph, go to the west. There is a secret to be discovered there that will help you very much.

Fiannon and a few others will go north and push through the trolls at the bridge. Another group takes the eastern path.
Question: For the Grand Meeting, I could not find the actual programming in the scenario file (found only musics and sides), where is it ?
It is there, in the file 08_grand_meeting.cfg. The events start at line 194.
PS: There should only be spiders at places where we can maneuver, at least to remove the attacked unit and replace it with one that will not die at once. Else, again it is plain luck (=> save-load).
you are right, this is a nasty tomato surprise event. Since I know about it, I normally send the loyal Elvish Champion with the ring of swordmanship there.
I'll try to reduce the tomato-ness of the attack. i think reducing it to a normal spider, adding some webs and little spiderlings and maybe a small dialogue to prepare the player. Also maybe a bigger cave with dirt terrain to maneuver, the "Spider nest".

I have also been notified of a "unknown tile" bug in scenario 11 which I plan on fixing.
Again, Thank you all for your feedback.
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

Hey, looks like your campaign hasn't been updated over 2 years yet. Also, I just found Lua Error when starting the first and fourth (cutscene) scenario:

Code: Select all

<Invalid WML found> [event] is missing name or id field
Running on Wesnoth 1.14.13.

S2: Rescue
There's missing portrait from Mal-Lirak.
Missing Portrait.png
About Naia:
- Lvl 2 Grey Mage and Lvl 4 Golden Mage of the Moon has weird male sound when hitted and killed.
- Lvl 3 Silver Mage of the Moon still has death male voice only, also the Missile attack sound are missing.

S18: Illuvèn
After Naia closes the portal, a new Lua error appears:

<Invalid WML found> [if] didn't find any [then], [elself], or [else] children
Sadaharu wrote: I've gotten as far as Illuvèn. There is something wrong with the .cfg file, because no matter what unit I kill
Spoiler:
with, I lose the game.
Spoiler:
It must be happened before close the Portal. So I close it first, then kill him and then...
Spoiler:
Last edited by Major_Swampy on September 4th, 2020, 4:57 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hey DukeSwampy.
thanks for reporting the Lua error. I'm aware of it, but could not find the cause on first glance. I'm currently busy with my degree and not doing a lot of wesnoth atm. I hope to came back to it one day.

Greetings,
Paulomat4
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

Paulomat4 wrote: August 31st, 2020, 11:16 am I'm currently busy with my degree and not doing a lot of wesnoth atm. I hope to came back to it one day.
No problem dude, I hoping that your campaign will be updated soon.
Paulomat4 wrote:I have also been notified of a "unknown tile" bug in scenario 11 which I plan on fixing.
Also, I've tried to debug command to select that scenario (but I'll reach later), then couldn't load everytime. But I did it by changing Rr^Prgo to Rr (by using notepad), then that scenario loads fine. That map file located is User/Wesnoth 1.14/data/add-ons/dawn_of_thunder/maps/11_dwarvish_gratitude. (I'm running on OS Win 10)

After completed 18th scenario, appears unknown Scenario:
Unknown Scenario.png
Unknown Scenario.png (20.27 KiB) Viewed 2728 times
Also, I didn't get any laurel campaign because due of that. But I bring my stats here:
Spoiler:
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
egallager

Post by egallager »

Major_Swampy wrote: August 31st, 2020, 5:14 am Hey, looks like your campaign hasn't been updated over 2 years yet. Also, I just found Lua Error when starting the first and fourth (cutscene) scenario:

I came here to report this, too... let's see if I can fix it myself...
egallager

Post by egallager »

egallager wrote: November 29th, 2020, 3:16 am
Major_Swampy wrote: August 31st, 2020, 5:14 am Hey, looks like your campaign hasn't been updated over 2 years yet. Also, I just found Lua Error when starting the first and fourth (cutscene) scenario:

I came here to report this, too... let's see if I can fix it myself...
Update: my attempts at fixing so far are here: https://github.com/cooljeanius/dawn_of_thunder
...but unfortunately I still haven't figured it out yet...
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

egallager wrote: December 7th, 2020, 10:14 pm ...but unfortunately I still haven't figured it out yet...
Source of the problem seems to be {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC}
egallager

Post by egallager »

vghetto wrote: December 7th, 2020, 11:40 pm
egallager wrote: December 7th, 2020, 10:14 pm ...but unfortunately I still haven't figured it out yet...
Source of the problem seems to be {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC}
Ah ok I see what happens; {EXTRA_SCENARIO_MUSIC} expects to be used after some other event, so I put a usage of {SCENARIO_MUSIC} in front of it (since it contains a "prestart" event), and that seems to have fixed it.
egallager

Post by egallager »

Ok, new issue: a missing tile:
Any idea what to do about this?
(This is for scenario 11, Dwarvish Gratitude, for reference)

Edit: actually never mind; I see it's a known issue and mentioned above; I'll use the workaround mentioned previously; done in this commit: https://github.com/cooljeanius/dawn_of_thunder/commit/f28ff0e9b7085a64275a3bb20c21f587110a255d
Last edited by egallager on December 1st, 2022, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
egallager

Post by egallager »

So yeah I got up to the final scenario (for now) (S18, Illuvèn), and ran into the same problem Sadaharu was mentioning with Duron Bleil... I see there's a fix from a gameplay perspective mentioned above (close the portal first), but what about a fix from a coding perspective? How should the WML be modified so that you can do the things in either order?
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Major_Swampy wrote: August 31st, 2020, 5:14 am
Sadaharu wrote: I've gotten as far as Illuvèn. There is something wrong with the .cfg file, because no matter what unit I kill
Spoiler:
with, I lose the game.
Spoiler:
It must be happened before close the Portal. So I close it first, then kill him and then...
Spoiler:
I am trying this right now.
egallager wrote: April 30th, 2021, 10:38 pm So yeah I got up to the final scenario (for now) (S18, Illuvèn), and ran into the same problem Sadaharu was mentioning with Duron Bleil... I see there's a fix from a gameplay perspective mentioned above (close the portal first), but what about a fix from a coding perspective? How should the WML be modified so that you can do the things in either order?
It could be smoothed over by saying that Duron Biell is kept alive by the dark portal's energies or something of the sort BUT this would also require further explanation for why you lose the game. Perhaps he is also containing the portal's energies and without him everything blows up and takes your party of characters with it.

Also I am stuck on ‘Stub Time of Day’, I've just noticed.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Well, I've tried the above procedure of first closing the Portal and then killing the bandits' leader.

I closed the portal by moving Naia onto it and, after the cutscene was triggered, got the following error message:

<invalid WML found> [if] didn't find any [then], [elseif], or [else] children
So the cutscene did play, but the objectives still read ‘Close the Portal’ and ‘Defeat the Bandits’.

That same turn I attacked and killed Duron Bleil and nothing else happened: the bandits still fought on.
Worse, the portal's tile kept spewing undead units.

:/
egallager

Post by egallager »

So, I'm starting porting this to 1.16 and have gotten it to the point where it loads the first scenario at least... Also, I've generated a potfile in case any translators want to start translating it:
Dawn_of_Thunder.pot.gz
potfile for Dawn of Thunder
(47.27 KiB) Downloaded 44 times