From Rocks and Blood - Troll Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

hermestrismi

Re: From Rocks and Blood - Troll Campaign

Post by hermestrismi »

Graziani wrote: May 15th, 2022, 10:58 am
hermestrismi wrote: May 13th, 2022, 9:55 pm I just downloaded it and I will play it. good work for now
Thanks ! Hope you will enjoy it ! Don’t hesitate to leave some feedback ^_^
I almost finished the first sc. and I enjoyed it. Grazie e buon lavoro
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

Hi,

I made a lot of updates for FRaB this past month without updating this thread
Here are the changes

1.7.4.5 updated and online

-deleted some now useless files, such as attack icons, non used items etc... --- FRaB directory
-Cleaned a bit all scenarios WML
-Added credits in the end of the first post of this thread for all units/portraits that are present in FRaB but that are not from me.
-Deleted arcane and cold resistance for the lvl3 troll fire shaman (this guy is too powerful)
-Balanced some custom naga units stats
-Modified and embellished map --- S3
-Embellished maps --- S1,S4,S9,S13,S21
-corrected dialogs --- S22
-Corrected a gender error in normal difficulty for an enemy leader --- S8
-Fixed a little bug --- S21
-Changed starting position for an enemy leader --- S21
-Improved a scroll --- S15

I think I will modify the lvl 2 troll sorcerer in order to give him an ice magic attack in addition to his fire attack, and after to let the player to have a full lvl3 fire shaman or ice shaman that will have only this attack. But I haven't decided yet ^^
I like the idea of following one path of magic. To me, fire and Ice really suits the trolls.
Creator and maintainer of "A goblin adventure" (available) and "From Rocks and Blood"(available) --- Working on a new campaign "Facing Death"
Rendy55

Post by Rendy55 »

In scenario chaos at the northern gates i must find some runestone but there isn't any.
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

Oh sorry I didn’t see your message. Did you find it ? Before to activate the runes you need to make them appear. To do that, you need to find the right hexagon near the main door. Check all the hex one by one with one unit, and the runes will show up.
I will check if the objectives are crystal clear, maybe the indications are better in the dialogs. If that’s not the case, I will make them (dialogs and objectives description) more clear.
Will check them as soon as possible
Creator and maintainer of "A goblin adventure" (available) and "From Rocks and Blood"(available) --- Working on a new campaign "Facing Death"
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

1.7.4.6 updated and online

*Updated dialogs and objectives in order to be more understandable --- S11

Haven't updated my campaigns since 6 months, had a small wes break, but I'm back ^^
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Graziani wrote: January 20th, 2023, 3:21 pm 1.7.4.6 updated and online

*Updated dialogs and objectives in order to be more understandable --- S11

Haven't updated my campaigns since 6 months, had a small wes break, but I'm back ^^
welcome back :geek:
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

This campaign is good so far, but I'm stuck at scenario nº 7 (On the road to Ostagar )where I am outdoors and ambushed first by Yetis (reloaded every single one of the first 8 turns or so just to not lose by losing a leader) and then by a bunch of impossible massed artillery fire. I *suppose* that some heavy save-scumming might do the trick but I'm not sure anymore: I'd need to first luck out with the Yetis and then manage to sneak a berserker through to each leader.

Am I on the right path?
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

Sadaharu wrote: May 15th, 2023, 1:00 am This campaign is good so far, but I'm stuck at scenario nº 7 (On the road to Ostagar )where I am outdoors and ambushed first by Yetis (reloaded every single one of the first 8 turns or so just to not lose by losing a leader) and then by a bunch of impossible massed artillery fire. I *suppose* that some heavy save-scumming might do the trick but I'm not sure anymore: I'd need to first luck out with the Yetis and then manage to sneak a berserker through to each leader.

Am I on the right path?
Hi ! Thanks for reviewing, did you finally beat this scenario ? the S7 is probably one of the most difficult scenario of this campaign. I would advise to recruit a LOT in order to distract the thunderers and to sneak/focus on the two leaders. Berserkers are indeed a very good option, you are on the good direction ! :)

That being said, i don’t like the fact that we need to be very lucky to beat the yetis at the beginning and your description of being forced to reload every turn in this part of the scenario is kinda not fun.

Will try to add two or thRee lvl1 trolls, depending on chosen difficulty, to help the player.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

I didn't, but I intend to try again. My faction starts with 156 gold and -1 per turn. Getting Godug to the keep takes a few turns and then I suppose I could just let gold pile up before recruiting and triggering the second half of the battle. The fact that the whole scenario is played at noon doesn't help much either.

Also, my side starts with two troll whelps already, but they are meat shields at best, given how in any combat stand a significant chance of not surviving - the Yetis have 142 HP and can tank anything.

I've tried a playthrough again just now and again it requires just too much savescumming to even run away from the two Yetis -it's cathartic to get one as a reward- so it requires patience at a better (RL) time of day.
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

Sadaharu wrote: May 17th, 2023, 3:30 am The fact that the whole scenario is played at noon doesn't help much either.
It’s not supposed to be the case… will fix this issue before the end of the week.

In the same update, I Will also modify the beginning of this scenario.
I can add trolls, diminish yeti health, remove one, I have several possibilities… and the night will give bonus to trolls.

Thanks for playing, don’t hesitate to give more feedback I would be happy to read some review ;)
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

If the map's not meant to be played at noon then that's the problem - my trolls are addled by the sun all the way!

Also, the Yeti west of the road can be dodged quite easily with Godug *if* I don't take him along the game-suggested longest path - the Yeti has a different speed over snow, so on flat ground Godug is faster. If I actually override the AI's preferred path each and every turn, I can reach the keep with Godug (everybody else stays fighting the Yeti east of the road) and recruit/recall a few trolls to keep the Yeti from killing him. It's still a lot of savescumming because the Yeti can kill two out of the three other named characters in one round of combat that I cannot avoid.
The winning strategy seems to be
a) savescum the crap out of those Yetis
b) try to recruit/recall as many units as possible
c) pack them all (15 is the maximum I can get) into a tight corner right by the keep and send a lone lv. 1 troll to trigger the ambush.
d) lose miserably, get a defeat message, reload and change strategy
e) send a lone lv. 1 troll whelp while everybody else runs like hell for the east bank of the road (50, 10 and surroundings).
f) luck out a bit, lose ‘only’ two berserkers and a troll warrior, manage to kill 23 dwarves including the two leaders.

Phew!
Now I'm onto the great battle at Rallassam. The skeleton problem was promptly solved by having accidentally sent three trolls to cross the desert to maybe meet up with the ogres at the eastern end of the map and the skeleton leader deciding to leave the fortress to attack them - no luck: 1 Troll Fire Shaman to bring him down to normal, 1 Troll to batter him down, 1 Troserker to finish him. Lokaq got herself killed quickly by dwarves off-screen: she wandered into the fog-of-war and a turn or so later Barbure swore revenge for her death. That's two sources of enemies fewer.
The battle is complex and I think that it can be won more than one way. Poor Grouamf! The heat is killing him!

For a long time I've been promising myself that I'd make a new Wesnoth campaign. So I might pilfer the idea of a troll slinger whelp off you, and/or the goblin archer.
I'm trying to get different gameplay experiences, so I'm alternating between this campaign and Burning Souls (there are a couple more drake campaigns for BfW 1.12 that have never been ported on an older computer). Otherwise one settles into the comfortable routine of ‘elves/humans defend the forest/castle against chaotic-aligned barbarians’ and that's it.

The troll berserkers enable me, for once, to make dwarves suffer in the way that they do everybody else. It's a pity to lose one but they get promoted rather fast since they always fight to the death (anybody's) in any case. They also seem to be the optimal solution to footpads.

Onwards to keep playing!
Last edited by Sadaharu on May 20th, 2023, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Now I am at ‘Chaos at the northern gates’.

The scenario is well-crafted indeed, even if nigh-impossible, because the instructions are misleading. As the allied army reaches the outer gates, I was told to find ‘the right place along the entrance walls’. Which, after I managed to exterminate every single Orc (102 including their leader by the gate) by turn 43/44, meant that I had to find the exact tile… or so I thought.
It turned out that it was ‘right’ as in ‘to the right of the gate (= not left) instead of going about as in Doom prodding every single tile. It turned out that the turn lost doing that didn't really matter because I was then told that I had to hold the gate for 10 turns but there weren't 10 turns added.

So the game has a covert ‘do it but with ten turns to spare’ clause included.

That aside, next time I play it I'll have to just push through to the gate, lose several trolls as always, and *then* somehow struggle to stopper the door until the runes kick in… which means keeping three of my best units out of the fight while I try to erect a wall of bodies over it OR I replay the scenario nearly from scratch but remember to recruit two troll initiates just for that purpose.
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

That's exactly the kind of stuff I love to read ! Thank you :)
Sadaharu wrote: May 18th, 2023, 12:40 am If the map's not meant to be played at noon then that's the problem - my trolls are addled by the sun all the way!
It's now corrected ! I also added a troll initiate in hard difficulty, and a troll lvl2 in normal difficulty. The night will help to beat the yetis and the thunderers.
Sadaharu wrote: May 18th, 2023, 12:40 am Also, the Yeti west of the road can be dodged quite easily with Godug *if* I don't take him along the game-suggested longest path - the Yeti has a different speed over snow, so on flat ground Godug is faster. If I actually override the AI's preferred each and every turn, I can reach the keep with Godug (everybody else stays fighting the Yeti east of the road) and recruit/recall a few trolls to keep the Yeti from killing him. It's still a lot of savescumming because the Yeti can kill two out of the three other named characters in one round of combat that I cannot avoid.
It's a good idea to proceed like that. Yetis are so powerful :shock: but I really like this challenge. I hope with the modification I made there will be no need of savescumming.
Sadaharu wrote: May 18th, 2023, 12:40 am d) lose miserably, get a defeat message, reload and change strategy
:lol: :lol: :lol: I laughed so hard when I read that
Sadaharu wrote: May 18th, 2023, 12:40 am f) luck out a bit, lose ‘only’ two berserkers and a troll warrior, manage to kill 23 dwarves including the two leaders.
Phew!
Finally you killed those armed cowards ! Bravo ^^
Sadaharu wrote: May 18th, 2023, 12:40 am Now I'm onto the great battle at Rallassam. The skeleton problem was promptly solved by having accidentally sent three trolls to cross the desert to maybe meet up with the ogres at the eastern end of the map and the skeleton leader deciding to leave the fortress to attack them - no luck: 1 Troll Fire Shaman to bring him down to normal, 1 Troll to batter him down, 1 Troserker to finish him. Lokaq got herself quickly by dwarves off-screen: she wandered into the fog-of-war and a turn or so later Barbure swore revenge for her death. That's two sources of enemies fewer.
The battle is complex and I think that it can be won more than one way. Poor Grouamf! The heat is killing him!
I love this battle because indeed you can play it and win it in different ways, and also the battle between the looters and the dwarves can change each game. Sometimes, Lokaq ge killed, sometimes they push very far into Rallassam. You were lucky to kill Skeletor immediatly :D
Sadaharu wrote: May 18th, 2023, 12:40 am For a long time I've been promising myself that I'd make a new Wesnoth campaign. So I might pilfer the idea of a troll slinger whelp off you, and/or the goblin archer.
I'm trying to get different gameplay experiences, so I'm alternating between this campaign and Burning Souls (there are a couple more drake campaigns for BfW 1.12 that have never been ported on an older computer). Otherwise one settles into the comfortable routine of ‘elves/humans defend the forest/castle against chaotic-aligned barbarians’ and that's it.
Feel free to take ideas, units, graphics, xml from this campaign. I'm happy that FRaB is inspiring you for your future campaign. Can't wait to see it ^^
I also love the idea to change the classic settles. I'm curious about your drake campaigns !
Sadaharu wrote: May 18th, 2023, 12:40 am The troll berserkers enable me, for once, to make dwarves suffer in the way that they do everybody else. It's a pity to lose one but they get promoted rather fast since they always fight to the death (anybody's) in any case. They also seem to be the optimal solution to footpads.
I really wanted to make the dwarves suffer also :lol: , I wanted to see this ability in another race and I feel that it really suit the troll one ^^
Sadaharu wrote: May 19th, 2023, 1:02 am Now I am at ‘Chaos at the northern gates’.

The scenario is well-crafted indeed, even if nigh-impossible, because the instructions are misleading. As the allied army reaches the outer gates, I was told to find ‘the right place along the entrance walls’. Which, after I managed to exterminate every single Orc (102 including their leader by the gate) by turn 43/44, meant that I had to find the exact tile… or so I thought.
It turned out that it was ‘right’ as in ‘to the right of the gate (= not left) instead of going about as in Doom prodding every single tile. It turned out that the turn lost doing that didn't really matter because I was then told that I had to hold the gate for 10 turns but there weren't 10 turns added.

So the game has a covert ‘do it but with ten turns to spare’ clause included.

That aside, next time I play it I'll have to just push through to the gate, lose several trolls as always, and *then* somehow struggle to stopper the door until the runes kick in… which means keeping three of my best units out of the fight while I try to erect a wall of bodies over it OR I replay the scenario nearly from scratch but remember to recruit two troll initiates just for that purpose.
Okay, I'm so sorry about your RL time that you loosed because of the misleading objectives.
Btw, you beated the whole horde ? You are a true Dar Naal heroe :D sad it cannot trigger the victory. It wasn't expected, sorry :doh:

Here are the changes I made

1.7.4.7 updated and online

-The course of the time is back to normal --- S7
-Added unit(s) for the player to the start in NORMAL and HARD --- S7
-Updated objectives in order to be more understandable --- S11
-The "tile you need to stop on to activate the runes" are now 6 different tiles, all in the entrance walls, near the door. Even by accident, player will trigger the event --- S11
-Added a variable to avoid a very specific "can happen and will break the scenario" situation, concerning the runes --- S11

Sadaharu wrote: May 18th, 2023, 12:40 am Onwards to keep playing!
Can't wait to read your next post :mrgreen:
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

I managed to get to the last scenario and win it in 10 turns. The two waves of reinforcements make for great storytelling effect but by then the battle was already won. Although I *had* lost 12 cities…
I think it's very difficult to balance that scenario because the first few dwarfs can be killed straightaway and theoretically I could just surround one of them with my initial trolls and keep him alive (on the *one* village) while I recall enough soldiers to send them around and actually kill off the two new dwarf leaders to the north and south. If I ever replay it I'll try this approach.
Perhaps a solution would be to give a short time limit (5 turns?) for the player to destroy the first wave of attackers and then extend the turn limit after that.

A few notes I made between last night and today:

-Kogue the Pathfinder (scout?) and Eirur the Thunderguard both show up with silver marks as if they were loyal units or have to be protected but neither characteristic is applied to them.

-In ‘Mourbarak’ I lose units to artillery fire. In ‘The forgotten dragons’ the same happens with the collapsing floor. None of those units are added to my list of dead units. I suppose they didn't show up in the recall list later on but I didn't check since the ones that strayed near dangerous areas were the units I got handed for free at each new map and I only recall Lv. 2 or Lv. 3 units usually.

-An important one: ‘The lake of the abyss’ and ‘the ghostly crevices’ are supposed to take place simultaneously. So units recalled to one should NOT be available for recall in the other. They are separate armies! I think I recalled some units twice, as it happened. Specifically Grouamf follows Crolog into ‘The ghostly crevices’ and is not available in ‘The lake of the abyss’ and this separation should be made.

-The Troll Initiate (later Shaman) line seems to be overpowered. Alright, they are needed for the battles against the undead or flooding orcs which would be unwinnable otherwise, but sometimes I'm just watching dwarvish fighters getting burnt.
In the final battle I had 5 Fire Shamans, 3 Great Shamans and 1 Sorcerer and the dwarfs just couldn't bring them down because magical attacks negate even their cave/village defence stat. In terms of the storyline this is great, because this is the final remnant of the irredentist Rallassam dwarves that the Alliance is facing and they're just desperate, trying to take down as many of their enemies as they can.

-Along the campaign you can lose as many berserkers as you like, I think I've never had a newly-recruited Troserker or Grunserker not get promoted before the end of a scenario anyway! They just go cornholio on their enemies and get 8 or 16 hp (or more) in every fight except against ranged units, which means 9 or 17.

Other issues:
Chaos at the northern gates - I think that it's not so much that the instructions are misleading as much as that they are… ambiguously worded. The text really reads as if the original were in French (quelle surprise!) and had English words pasted onto it. E.g. right as in not left or as in not incorrect? Side or place?

Regarding borrowing stuff from this campaign
1) At some point I'll try to look at the dwarves' cannon destroying tiles in ‘Mourbarak’, which reminds me of the defence cannons in Trinity (scenario: ‘Landing’) by doofus-01 and something between the two might be what I'm looking for for a tower defence scenario. But that's for what would be book 2 (or 3?) of the storyline and I'm doing a far more basic campaign just to get the hang of it. I have eight scenarios planned to see how it goes.
2) The troll stone-slinger and berserker units, and also the goblin archers, are things I might work into my campaign.
3) Thanks for the encouragement! The last time I attempted this we were still under a coronavirus lockdown and I just couldn't stand staring at a computer anymore.
4) What is your avatar from/for? Some of the characters for my (proposed) campaign are merfolk and it might help. For episode 2, but one can dream.

Well, thanks for the campaign! I am done playing and might go through my notes later on. It was so cathartic to have almost all my units be able to regenerate and start with a crapton of hitpoints for once. And the gameplay was fun.
Last edited by Sadaharu on May 22nd, 2023, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graziani

Post by Graziani »

Sadaharu wrote: May 21st, 2023, 1:15 am I managed to get to the last scenario and win it in 10 turns. The two waves of reinforcements make for great storytelling effect but by then the battle was already won. Although I *had* lost 12 cities…
I think it's very difficult to balance that scenario because the first few dwarfs can be killed straightaway and theoretically I could just surrender one of them with my initial trolls and keep him alive (on the *one* village) while I recall enough soldiers to send them around and actually kill off the two new dwarf leaders to the north and south. If I ever replay it I'll try this approach.
Perhaps a solution would be to give a short time limit (5 turns?) for the player to destroy the first wave of attackers and then extend the turn limit after that.
Woah you already finished it ^^
Yes, it's kinda hard to balance. It's a good idea to make appear the dwarves before the first group is destroyed. I need to test play few times before to update the campaign.
Sadaharu wrote: May 21st, 2023, 1:15 am -Kogue the Pathfinder (scout?) and Eirur the Thunderguard both show up with silver marks as if they were loyal units or have to be protected but neither characteristic is applied to them.
They need to be protected in The lake of the Abyss and The Ghostly crevices, that's why I gave them a silver mark. Maybe should I remove it after those two scenarios ? Will think about it
Sadaharu wrote: May 21st, 2023, 1:15 am -In ‘Mourbarak’ I lose units to artillery fire. In ‘The forgotten dragons’ the same happens with the collapsing floor. None of those units are added to my list of dead units. I suppose they didn't show up in the recall list later on but I didn't check since the ones that strayed near dangerous areas were the units I got handed for free at each new map and I only recall Lv. 2 or Lv. 3 units usually.
Yes, units that died because of canons and the collapsing floor cannot be recalled.
Sadaharu wrote: May 21st, 2023, 1:15 am -An important one: ‘The lake of the abyss’ and ‘the ghostly crevices’ are supposed to take place simultaneously. So units recalled to one should NOT be available for recall in the other. They are separate armies! I think I recalled some units twice, as it happened. Specifically Grouamf follows Crolog into ‘The ghostly crevices’ and is not available in ‘The lake of the abyss’ and this separation should be made.
Actually I tried to, because everything that add storytelling is more than welcome, but I don't know how to split the recall list in two (it could be a solution), so I managed to make at least Grouamf and the main characters impossible to recall. If I understand how to do it, I will definitly do it ^^
Sadaharu wrote: May 21st, 2023, 1:15 am -The Troll Initiate (later Shaman) line seems to be overpowered. Alright, they are needed for the battles against the undead or flooding orcs which would be unwinnable otherwise, but sometimes I'm just watching dwarvish fighters getting burnt.
In the final battle I had 5 Fire Shamans, 3 Great Shamans and 1 Sorcerer and the dwarfs just couldn't bring them down because magical attacks negate even their cave/village defence stat.
It add complexity to what I already planning to do : I wanna add to FRaB an ice line and an fire line from the troll initiate (the former one would have an ice attack and an fire attack, and the player will have to choose between the two at lvl2).
So yes, I spoke about it with another player, those guys are really powerful and I already weaken them. I probably need to weaken them more
Sadaharu wrote: May 21st, 2023, 1:15 am In terms of the storyline this is great, because this is the final remnant of the irredentist Rallassam dwarves that the Alliance is facing and they're just desperate, trying to take down as many of their enemies as they can.
They would have been welcomed, but they chose Hate and Rage ! For the Dar Naal Kingdom !
Sadaharu wrote: May 21st, 2023, 1:15 am -Along the campaign you can lose as many berserkers as you like, I think I've never had a newly-recruited Troserker or Grunserker not get promoted before the end of a scenario anyway! They just go cornholio on their enemies and get 8 or 16 hp (or more) in every fight except against ranged units, which means 9 or 17.
I really love these guys :D they get strong very quickly if they manage to survive. Do you think they also need balance ?
Sadaharu wrote: May 21st, 2023, 1:15 am Other issues:
Chaos at the northern gates - I think that it's not so much that the instructions are misleading as much as that they are… ambiguously worded. The text really reads as if the original were in French (quelle surprise!) and had English words pasted onto it. E.g. right as in not left or as in not incorrect? Side or place?
Yes my french is introducing itself everywhere, and I have a TON of text in this campaign :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sadaharu wrote: May 21st, 2023, 1:15 am Regarding borrowing stuff from this campaign
1) At some point I'll try to look at the dwarves' cannon destroying tiles in ‘Mourbarak’, which reminds me of the defence cannons in Trinity (scenario: ‘Landing’) by doofus-01 and something between the two might be what I'm looking for for a tower defence scenario. But that's for what would be book 2 (or 3?) of the storyline and I'm doing a far more basic campaign just to get the hang of it. I have eight scenarios planned to see how it goes.
2) The troll stone-slinger and berserker units, and also the goblin archers, are things I might work into my campaign.
3) Thanks for the encouragement! The last time I attempted this we were still under a coronavirus lockdown and I just couldn't stand staring at a computer anymore.
4) What is your avatar from/for? Some of the characters for my (proposed) campaign are merfolk and it might help. For episode 2, but one can dream.
As I told you the other day, feel free to take everything you like from FRaB, and if you credit it, I would be very happy ^^

You are welcome for the encouragment, I took me many years to finish my two campaigns because of life issues, wes breaks, discouragement, too big project etc... FRaB was my first campaign and I was very ambitious, learning XML in the same time I was writing scenarios, forgotting how I did this or this, and then relearning... It was a very long and hard process, so I know how difficult it can be... But after, when it's done and online, seeing people giving feedback, reviewing your work, having fun on it, loving your characters and story, work in wich you putted so much love is... amazing.
Do your campaigns, even if it takes long time ^^

Oh, and my avatar is from my second campaign that I never released, and this character is the main one of it. I really love mermans and nagas.
Would love to finish it one day, I can see if I still have the sprites if you are interested
Sadaharu wrote: May 21st, 2023, 1:15 am Well, thanks for the campaign! I am done playing and might go through my notes later on. It was so cathartic to have almost all my units be able to regenerate and start with a crapton of hitpoints for once. And the gameplay was fun.
Thanks to you :)

I tried to give the feeling that you are really leading an army, that's why you have so many free units every scenario ^^

If ever you want to tell me more about the campaign, feel free I wanna read more :lol:

For example what did you think about the whole story, how hard was the scenario with nagas, what was the hardest and the easiest level etc...

Anyway, thanks a lot for your review, really ^^
I took notes from it and will continue to improve the campaign
:D