A Scenario with robots

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: A Scenario with robots

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi gfgtdf,

I think there is either a problem with either BfW 1.12.2 or your add-on, I don't know which, but tooltips in the edit robot menu dialog don't work anymore (I was trying to use your gui dialog files as a reference, since GUIToolkit documentation is so sloppy). I have both BfW 1.12.1 and BfW 1.12.2 with only "Scenario_with_robots" in the add-ons folder, and in BfW 1.12.1, they work.

EDIT: I just tried Era of High Sorcery, and those tooltips work, but that guy uses a lot of his own functions and doesn't comment/document, and I don't really know enough about all this crap, so I have no idea what he did different... Actually, now yours work too. I have no idea what is going on... Never mind.

The add-on version 1.0.3 dialog image update was good for the spear usage explanation.
gfgtdf wrote:My art skills arent that good unfortuately (when painting those robots it already took me a long time).
My Wesnoth time is kind of occupied at the moment, but maybe I can help later. I think if only SE/SW-facing units without animations is OK, then wheels, spears, propellers, etc. can be ~BLIT'ed onto a small, medium, or big base sprite. It won't be perfect, but it should be a manageable project and should help the robots be easier to distinguish on the map.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

doofus-01 wrote:Hi gfgtdf,

I think there is either a problem with either BfW 1.12.2 or your add-on, I don't know which, but tooltips in the edit robot menu dialog don't work anymore (I was trying to use your gui dialog files as a reference, since GUIToolkit documentation is so sloppy). I have both BfW 1.12.1 and BfW 1.12.2 with only "Scenario_with_robots" in the add-ons folder, and in BfW 1.12.1, they work.

EDIT: I just tried Era of High Sorcery, and those tooltips work, but that guy uses a lot of his own functions and doesn't comment/document, and I don't really know enough about all this crap, so I have no idea what he did different... Actually, now yours work too. I have no idea what is going on... Never mind.
I looked at teh different in wesnoth 1.12.1 and 1.12.2 source code and i count find anything related to gui2 dialogs there.
doofus-01 wrote: The add-on version 1.0.3 dialog image update was good for the spear usage explanation.
ok good to know
doofus-01 wrote:
gfgtdf wrote:My art skills arent that good unfortuately (when painting those robots it already took me a long time).
My Wesnoth time is kind of occupied at the moment, but maybe I can help later. I think if only SE/SW-facing units without animations is OK, then wheels, spears, propellers, etc. can be ~BLIT'ed onto a small, medium, or big base sprite. It won't be perfect, but it should be a manageable project and should help the robots be easier to distinguish on the map.
That would be nice :)

Uploaded version 1.1.1, which
  • sorts componenets in the toolbox
  • Reduces wheels movepoints bonus
  • Adds antanna components
  • Allows multiple defensive modules (cooling, heating adon)
  • makes 'Era with robots' work on 1.12.x
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

gfgtdf wrote:I looked at teh different in wesnoth 1.12.1 and 1.12.2 source code and i count find anything related to gui2 dialogs there.
Yeah, the 1.12.1 vs 1.12.2 was a red herring. The tooltips stop working periodically, I just first noticed it with your add-on and BfW 1.12.2, but now I don't think it's specific to those.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

uploaded version 1.1.2 which contains bugfixes
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I've got some images, I think the layers of the XCF can be exported individually and then ~BLIT()'d on the base sprite as needed. It's just the little robot for now, and I didn't know how to show some things, like the heating/cooling addons or the healing thing, but maybe that can be taken care of with just color changes.

Let me know if you think this is worth continuing...
Attachments
swr-1a.xcf
(8.85 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
example-robots.png
example-robots.png (6.4 KiB) Viewed 7025 times
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

doofus-01 wrote:I've got some images, I think the layers of the XCF can be exported individually and then ~BLIT()'d on the base sprite as needed. It's just the little robot for now, and I didn't know how to show some things, like the heating/cooling addons or the healing thing, but maybe that can be taken care of with just color changes.

Let me know if you think this is worth continuing...
:D I think it is. I personally think its ok if the less important components like the cooling/heating addons have not visible change. But i'd really like to have the healing ability to have an effect on the image. But i also dont really dont know how.

Do you think we could use the same ~BLIT s fo all robot types and just have a differnt baseframe or do you want to put the components on differnt locations for differnt robots types?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

gfgtdf wrote:But i'd really like to have the healing ability to have an effect on the image. But i also dont really dont know how.
Possibly this back-pack thing could work. I don't think it gets in the way of the other stuff, and should still be noticeable. Makes it look a little bit like a toilet though...
healing-robot.png
healing-robot.png (2.25 KiB) Viewed 6968 times
healing-addon.png
healing-addon.png (530 Bytes) Viewed 6968 times
gfgtdf wrote:Do you think we could use the same ~BLIT s fo all robot types and just have a differnt baseframe or do you want to put the components on differnt locations for differnt robots types?
Not sure. If the BLITs changed depending on how many of an item the unit has, but does not change for the others, that rule-set should be manageable, right? For example, use ~BLIT(spear.png,<xy1>) for one spear, ~BLIT(spear.png~BLIT(spear.png,<xy2>),<xy1>) for two spears, etc., but it doesn't matter whether there are propellers or wheels or whatever as well. Then, it maybe doesn't matter too much if the different sized base robots have either unique image-sets or BLIT-coordinate-sets. It might get crowded on the big robots otherwise. :hmm:
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

doofus-01 wrote:
gfgtdf wrote:But i'd really like to have the healing ability to have an effect on the image. But i also dont really dont know how.
Possibly this back-pack thing could work. I don't think it gets in the way of the other stuff, and should still be noticeable. Makes it look a little bit like a toilet though...
Currently the lvl1 robots cannot get that ability anyway becasue they don't offer enough space for the healing component, maybe we should see how this looks on lvl 2 robots.
doofus-01 wrote:
gfgtdf wrote:Do you think we could use the same ~BLIT s fo all robot types and just have a differnt baseframe or do you want to put the components on differnt locations for differnt robots types?
Not sure. If the BLITs changed depending on how many of an item the unit has, but does not change for the others, that rule-set should be manageable, right? For example, use ~BLIT(spear.png,<xy1>) for one spear, ~BLIT(spear.png~BLIT(spear.png,<xy2>),<xy1>) for two spears, etc., but it doesn't matter whether there are propellers or wheels or whatever as well.
Yes that sounds managable.
doofus-01 wrote: Then, it maybe doesn't matter too much if the different sized base robots have either unique image-sets or BLIT-coordinate-sets. It might get crowded on the big robots otherwise. :hmm:
Ok i see. I will have to change the code a little but i think that is also doable (both versions).

EDIT:
Uploaded verson 1.1.4 which offers an option for mp games to make robots drop their componenets when they die so you can pick them up later. And also contains some bugfixes.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Awesome robots! Looking at them, i got the idea that the medium and big ones could just have a wider base box. Maybe the black bar could be bigger or different too.
swr-1a-med.png
swr-1a-med.png (1.48 KiB) Viewed 6918 times
Something along this quick edit.

Do overlays move with an attack animation? Or are they staying fix?

The one I played got definitely 3 speed for each wheel. One was standard, so a robot with 3 wheels had speed 10 and the bigger ones could carry more wheels! Fast like hell!

The reason why I am opposing the heal 12/regenerate 4 module as only option is simply because it limits the players choices to: Get it! Use it! Play like it! Official name is horseshoe strategy. I always called it cramp around the healer.

More variety would be great. Heal 8 would do. Half module for heal 4 would do. A different thing for regenerate 4 would be cool. Salvaging the parts of lost bots is nice. Otherwise people just save-load.

Is it actually possible to alter the lua section by copy paste? I did not try. Would it work, if the code is right?
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Wussel wrote:Awesome robots! Looking at them, i got the idea that the medium and big ones could just have a wider base box. Maybe the black bar could be bigger or different too.
swr-1a-med.png
Something along this quick edit.

I don't know sry.

EDIT: hm i think thst looks too similar to the small robot, actualy i didn't notice that it was a different image when i was originaly writing this post.
Wussel wrote: The one I played got definitely 3 speed for each wheel. One was standard, so a robot with 3 wheels had speed 10 and the bigger ones could carry more wheels! Fast like hell!
Hm did you test whether teh fourth wheel gave +3 for +2 movement ?
However in a recent version i decreaded the effect of wheels to:
Number of wheels: Speed:
0 1
1 4
2 6
3 8
4 10
5 11
6 12

PS: does anyone know how to make table here? i tried [table] (as described in http://www.bbcode.org/reference.php) but it didnt work
Wussel wrote: The reason why I am opposing the heal 12/regenerate 4 module as only option is simply because it limits the players choices to: Get it! Use it! Play like it! Official name is horseshoe strategy. I always called it cramp around the healer.
More variety would be great. Heal 8 would do. Half module for heal 4 would do. A different thing for regenerate 4 would be cool.
Hm ok i'll think about how to implement this
Wussel wrote: Salvaging the parts of lost bots is nice. Otherwise people just save-load.
I recently implemented dying robots dropping theior components, but it currently can only be activated in robots mp era, I reccomend to use the mp era anyway becasue i don't think i'll add new scenario to the campaign soon. The mp era also makes it unnnesesary to add a 'test' difficuly since you can just play it with a mp scenario with unlimited turns and huge stating gold.
Wussel wrote: Is it actually possible to alter the lua section by copy paste? I did not try. Would it work, if the code is right?
you mean for adding new components? Yes that is possible, for simple things you just have to add an entry in the file "component_list.lua", also you need to add them to the list in "trader_list_mp.lua" or otherwise you cannot buy that component in mp.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I got a couple of bases for the medium and big. When buried under the add-ons, the differentiation is not so good, but maybe if they each got their own versions of bigbow, pike, etc. it would look better. The white & orange cap is the healing add-on. These all could use some more work, but hopefully they are enough to get the code started.

EDIT:
I don't think overlays should be used, just ~BLIT() the icons.
EDIT2: replaced the XCF, I think I got an improvement in the base units that differentiates them better. Big Robot, for example:
big-robot.png
big-robot.png (2.52 KiB) Viewed 6879 times
-----------------
Attachments
swr-2a.xcf
(26.17 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
example-robots.png
example-robots.png (16.35 KiB) Viewed 6897 times
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

I uploaded version1.1.5 which uses doofus-01 images for small robots (didnt have time for others yet) and makes the image dependent on the robots components.
I used [effect] apply_to = image_mod, add= ... [/effect] for the blits.

gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Uploaded version 1.1.6 which adds new images for big and small robots
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

In the current version, there is a missing animation frame:
error display: could not open image 'units/robots/arrow1_short.png'

This isn't much, but antenna seems like something that would need a sprite modifier, so maybe it helps.
antenna.png
antenna.png (448 Bytes) Viewed 6778 times
BTW, the ability for this, visible in the side-panel is misspelled "Antanna".
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

doofus-01 wrote:In the current version, there is a missing animation frame:
error display: could not open image 'units/robots/arrow1_short.png'

BTW, the ability for this, visible in the side-panel is misspelled "Antanna".
Will be fixe in next version.
doofus-01 wrote: This isn't much, but antenna seems like something that would need a sprite modifier, so maybe it helps.
antenna.png
The antanna looks much like a spear to me. Maybe you can change the look at the upper end to make it looks less like the spear ?