Vyncyn's sprites

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Flameslash

Re: Vyncyn sprites Mountain-humans

Post by Flameslash »

That redraw looks really good, the best of the lot in my opinion.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Much better now. Now he looks great.
I can say that in most cases eras that are based on mass frankenstains looks really pathetic, even disgusting, but yours look ok. The only one.
Still there are some strange things.
For example, I cant understand what happened with necks of Dark Priest and Spider Priest. Pose on horses of units of Dark Rider line looks doubtful too. Giant-Titan line looks doubtful, some other issues. But in general there are quite a lot of good frankens in you era.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Aldarisvet wrote:For example, I cant understand what happened with necks of Dark Priest and Spider Priest. Pose on horses of units of Dark Rider line looks doubtful too. Giant-Titan line looks doubtful, some other issues. But in general there are quite a lot of good frankens in you era.
Most of Darkelves sprites are pretty old so they lack quality of the newer ones. Dark Priest and Spider Priest should have their faces half coverd, but you are right it looks more like they miss part of their neck. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll try to rework those sprites. Giant and Titan are selfmade (aside from the head and weapon), so there are some issues with anatomy and lightning. I want to rework the Titan's armor, but creating images for some units (Amazon Rider, Hare rider, Colossus) has a higher priority, as they have only placeholder images right now.
I'm willing to rework the smaller sprites though (any Infantryman smaller than an Ogre), as it doesn't take up much time.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

well if you are going to update the ages old dark elf sprites id like them too. btw using some of your unit sprites for 2 factions: wintermoon cult and northern alliance. The sprites are well made.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

I redid the head of the Priests and made 2 versions, with and without a hood.
darkpriest2.png
darkpriest2.png (1.98 KiB) Viewed 14632 times
spiderpriest2.png
spiderpriest2.png (2 KiB) Viewed 14632 times
Also I took a first draft on the Shadowwarrior.
warrior-arm.png
warrior-arm.png (2 KiB) Viewed 14632 times
I'm unsure about the shield. It might need to be moved a little, so I drew in roughly where his arm is supposed to be (red). The shield is supposed to be attached to his arm, but if it doesn't work out I could also use the shield from his old image.
hero.png
hero.png (1.69 KiB) Viewed 14632 times
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

In general much better than it was!
And versions (first ones) without hoods are better. Hood on the naked torso looks very strange as I pointed before.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Are these some kind of dark elf or are they human?
As for the sprites, I think they are done very well, especially the hero. I won't repeat what others have said about hoods but consider making female units which have hoods perhaps.

Oh, and if they are female dark elves, feel free to redraw my infamous geisha sprite :P :lol:
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Midnight_Carnival wrote:Are these some kind of dark elf or are they human?
As for the sprites, I think they are done very well, especially the hero. I won't repeat what others have said about hoods but consider making female units which have hoods perhaps.
Yes they are dark elves. The hero (last image in previous post) is actually the one I want to replace with the Shadowwarrior, because the hero looks very similar to the Elvish Hero. I just posted him because I want some feedback if the new sprite should have the same shield or a new one that is slightly turned.
So here is how he might look like with a turned shield and with the old shield in comparison (Most of the shading is still missing).
warrior-shield.png
warrior-shield.png (2.41 KiB) Viewed 14593 times
If the old hero sprite already looks good enough it wouldn't be worth the effort to replace him and I could work on other units, such as the Darkelf General (old sprite for reference)
general-old sprite.png
general-old sprite.png (2.04 KiB) Viewed 14593 times
I could make a few changes to the new Warrior image and pass him off as the lvl 3 advancement (replacing the General) or I could make new sprites for both of them (hero and general).
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Re: Vyncyn's sprites

Post by Vyncyn »

I'm working on the Luz faction for Rashy Era. It is a religious human faction containing Angels, Priests, Inquisitors and some more. Currently most sprites are placeholders, taken from "Era of Myths" and I plan to make some less frankensteined units before I upload it.
Since I couldn't find any reasonable sized wings for the Angels I have made my own, modeled after the big ones I could find. I'm not 100% happy with those, but I think they are good enough for now, so I won't work on them. Feel free to use/change them for your own sprites.
72x72
72x72
Wings.png (1.17 KiB) Viewed 14492 times
100x100
100x100
Wings2.png (1.5 KiB) Viewed 14492 times
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Midnight_Carnival wrote: Oh, and if they are female dark elves, feel free to redraw my infamous geisha sprite :P :lol:
I reworked my darkelven princesses and made one that might pass as geisha
shadowprincess-geisha.png
shadowprincess-geisha.png (1.36 KiB) Viewed 14316 times
These are the new images I'll add in the next update.
shadowprincess.png
shadowprincess.png (1.39 KiB) Viewed 14316 times
nightprincess.png
nightprincess.png (1.6 KiB) Viewed 14316 times
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Post by WTrawi »

They look cool 8)
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

I got some new part form my pc which really changed how the graphics appear on my monitor, so I need some opinions on the new sprites I made.

Here is the old version of the traveller for reference:
traveller-old.png
traveller-old.png (1.33 KiB) Viewed 14222 times
This is the new version I made. I generally like the new design, but I'm unsure about his shirt. It only has 4 shades (5 with outline) and might appear a bit stiff on some computers (looks good on mine).
traveller.png
traveller.png (1.47 KiB) Viewed 14222 times
Feel free to comment on anything about those sprites, but I'm mainly looking for opinions on his shirt and face.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

All of these are cool.
What I can add is that you made these in style and colors of Vilkai faction by Bitron.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Aldarisvet wrote:What I can add is that you made these in style and colors of Vilkai faction by Bitron.
Well my faction existed before his (as far as i know), but both have a similar theme.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Absolutely loving the shadowprincess-geisha!

I made one like that once, not nearly as good though!
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.