Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Re: Vyncyn sprites Mountain-humans

Post by Vyncyn »

ChaosRider wrote:
Your 1 lvl bird lvlup to 4-5 lvl by one advance? His next form is enought huge for so high lvls.
Wan't quite sure how to use the big bird,yet. Since it should be a playable faction his level can't be higher than 4, but probably he will be a lvl 3 unit (i know he is much bigger than any other lvl3 unit, but since i can't give him better weapons or armor his size is the only thing i can change) . Until now i only use him as a placeholder for the lvl 2 advancement :shock: (his stats are nearly the same as the gryphon master).
The lvl1 bird is a frankensteined unit from the khalifate faction, i thought about changing his look later. For now it's a question of balancing their stats. If the faction gets to strong the bird advancement will be from lvl1 to lvl, otherwise it will be lvl1-lvl3 or lvl2-lvl3 (with new images).
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Nice sprites.
Wesnoth stole my summer . . . again.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

This will propably be the last update on this faction. I completely reworked the golem lines. Now the have magenta eyes for the teamcolour and the stonecolour doesnt vary anymore, making this unit-line more persistent.
golem-earth.png
golem-earth.png (1.92 KiB) Viewed 14730 times
golem-stone.png
golem-stone.png (2.24 KiB) Viewed 14730 times
golem-rock.png
golem-rock.png (2.65 KiB) Viewed 14730 times
I also worked on other factions, but i'm not happy with the results yet. Might post them someday, when i have more time to work on them.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Awesome sprites!
I've published them in facebook page.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

I like the new golems you've made.
based on the level of detail and the shading, I'd say you're improving greatly since the first sprites you've done and I think you should carry on.
Just 2 suggestions though: perhaps try drawing/franking humans in a slightly different pose? Secondly, it's just aesthetic, I'm no engineer, but perhaps give your golems slightly thicker legs? You wouldn't want that whole 'feet of clay' thing going down in the battle, now would you?
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Elvish_King

Post by Elvish_King »

The golems are increadibly good but I found two strange things on the golem-stone:
- the left arm his to high (not in the same position with the shoulder
- the right hand with the leg behind is very hard to read

Here I corrected the first issue and marked the second one:
Unbenannt.png
Unbenannt.png (2.2 KiB) Viewed 14656 times
Visit my threads:
Era:Era of more units
Artwork:Art
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Elvish_King wrote:The golems are increadibly good but I found two strange things on the golem-stone:
- the left arm his to high (not in the same position with the shoulder)
I noticed this too, but thought that golems are not humans so they do not necessarily must have symmetrical body.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Aldarisvet wrote:
Elvish_King wrote:The golems are increadibly good but I found two strange things on the golem-stone:
- the left arm his to high (not in the same position with the shoulder)
I noticed this too, but thought that golems are not humans so they do not necessarily must have symmetrical body.
Yeah, the proportions on the stone golem are on purpose. I took inspiration from tiny in dota2 (if anyone knows him). I wanted him to have his longer arm as a third leg and attack with his other arm (if i ever get to make an animation).
Elvish_King wrote: - the right hand with the leg behind is very hard to read
Unbenannt.png
Noted. I might try shading the leg a little darker or moving the arm a bit, but i don't know when i can post results.
Midnight_Carnival wrote: Just 2 suggestions though: perhaps try drawing/franking humans in a slightly different pose? Secondly, it's just aesthetic, I'm no engineer, but perhaps give your golems slightly thicker legs? You wouldn't want that whole 'feet of clay' thing going down in the battle, now would you?
Poses are hard. The units should see to the southeast, so the body is also most likely facing southeast (maybe southwest, but that doesn't change the pose much and if all are facing sw they start to look the same again). I could slightly adjust the feet or the arms, but even those otions are highly limited. For example, the weapon-hand should face away from the body, because otherwise it would overlap with the armor, making it harder to differ between both. Even the mainline units all have a very similar pose.
Giving the golems bigger legs would make them invincible. Every Monster needs weakpoint, otherwise the poor wesnothians would battle against an indestrucable walking mountain :P . (In a more serious note: I will work on it when I change the leg-shading on the stone-golem)
GL_Network

Post by GL_Network »

Vyncyn wrote:Yeah, the proportions on the stone golem are on purpose. I took inspiration from tiny in dota2 (if anyone knows him). I wanted him to have his longer arm as a third leg and attack with his other arm (if i ever get to make an animation).
I would recommend the opposite direction: the bigger arm should be used to attack while the smaller one holds the creature and prevents it from falling straight for the ground. This would allow you to make a more exaggerated movement for the arm, which would be more realistic and visually better.

I like the idea of having asymmetrical arms, by the way.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Re: Vyncyn Era

Post by Vyncyn »

I finally managed to publish my era on the addon-server. So for anyone who is interested, search for "Vyncyn Rashy Era". It contains 10 factions (+1 small faction on AoH). It has mostly unique art, with some franken units and some taken from mainline or other addons. I will possible update it in the future to add 8 more factions (they are about 90% completed, but i want to rework parts of it before publishing). It should be 100% english, if i haven't missed anything. Of course any art on this add-on is free to use if someone wants it for their own era.

Edit: I'll keep this thread open for futute art development on this era. For other discussions about it i have opend a new topic viewtopic.php?f=19&t=44374.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

I found a old sprite from zerovirus and decided to update the Marashy Monk based on this.
monk.png
monk.png (1.58 KiB) Viewed 13895 times
And then lvl2 and 3 wasn't really fitting anymore, so I changed those graphics as well.
warmonk.png
warmonk.png (1.72 KiB) Viewed 13895 times
zealot.png
zealot.png (1.8 KiB) Viewed 13895 times
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

I think the Zealot's hood would look better if it was the same shade of grey as the rest of his clothing. Other than that, looking good.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Lvl1 and lvl2 looks great but for lvl3 not only a brown hood is strange, it is strange that he have a hood with a naked torso. What to a hood is attached? I think lvl3 torso should be covered too, and all with grey of course.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Aldarisvet wrote:Lvl1 and lvl2 looks great but for lvl3 not only a brown hood is strange, it is strange that he have a hood with a naked torso. What to a hood is attached?
It's attached to his sense in fashion. I thought this was obvious.

Well since it is not I did a quick redraw
zealot.png
zealot.png (1.75 KiB) Viewed 13869 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

looks cooler now, in my opinion
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic