Imperial Era Campaigns

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

UnwiseOwl

Re: Imperial Era Campaigns

Post by UnwiseOwl »

I have recently ported Up from Slavery and Gali's Contract to the current version of wesnoth. I haven't made major changes to either of these campaigns, but they are functional again, and as always, I'd appreciate feedback. I also hope to port Alfhelm at some point, though that's a bigger project and I'm currently working on getting my update to Fall of Silvium rolling again.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
OverlordTallin

Post by OverlordTallin »

Hi UnwiseOwl, I just wanted to say first that I really enjoy the Imperial Era and the attached campaigns. I just downloaded Alfhelm the Wise for version 1.14.5, and recieved the error message that I will post below. I made sure both the Imperial Era and Alfhelm the Wise were at the current version. Please let me know what you think, Thank you.

The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
C:\Users\Elijah Michael\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14/data/add-ons/Alfhelm_the_Wise/_main.cfg

Please report this to the author or maintainer of this add-on.

Details:

Macro/file 'NOTE_LEADERSHIP' is missing
at ~add-ons/Alfhelm_the_Wise/units/Alfhelm_Jarl.cfg:21
included from ~add-ons/Alfhelm_the_Wise/_main.cfg:76
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Hi Overlord Tallin, thanks for getting in touch and thanks for the report.

Looks like this was caused by something I changed in the latest version of the campaign to work with Wesnoth 1.15.3 that didn't backport into the 1.14 version of the IE properly. I've reverted this change for the 1.14 version and reuploaded it, and I think it should work again now. Please let me know if you come across this or any other problem.

I hope you continue to enjoy your visit to the Imperial Era,
wOl.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

I've just uploaded our first ever IE translation, chee / kk's Japanese translation of Epic of Vaniyera. Hopefully it works fine.

If anyone else wants to translate the campaign, please grab the pot file and go for it, we wouldn't want the Japanese translation to get lonely.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Alfhelm the Wise
S1
he taught he -> me
rearming -> roaming

Alfhelm has no race.

Harn and Ranhilde have no silver crown.

Is turns running out not an issue in this campaign? Because it's not listed as loss option.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Hoo boy, if you're doing a run of Alfhelm this is going to be a busy thread! It's...not the most evenly edited campaign out there, and apart from making it function I've pretty much left it alone these last ten years or so.

Looks like {IS-HERO} is broken. I've updated to the trait {TRAIT_LOYAL_HERO} which seems to fix the problem, but I don't know why IS_HERO would stop working, it's still in the macro reference.

I've fixed the 'he' typo, Alfhelm's race, and the missing objectives in my working copy. I'll hold off publishing it in case you have any other feedback.

'Rearming' is intentional. The orcs are arming themselves again.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Feedback is going to happen at random times.

S2
Side 2 is called 'allied leaders', even though I have not yet beaten them.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Up From Slavery
S1
No 'Turns run out' defeat condition.

S2
This has waited long enough -> This has gone on for long enough
No 'Turns run out' defeat condition.
No recruits? That's brutal. For the whole campaign? Harsh. Not telling the player about it in S1? Bad design.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Konrad2 wrote: May 10th, 2021, 6:00 pm No recruits? That's brutal. For the whole campaign? Harsh. Not telling the player about it in S1? Bad design.
That's not the intended behaviour, the recruit list got lost somewhere along the way.
I've fixed this and uploaded a new version of this campaign (and ToV) to the 1.15 add-ons server.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Just downloaded tale of vaniyera and found one small error in the opening dialogue of scen. 1
draw-out was likely meant to be drawn-out

Also there are no images for the campaign in the campaign selec. menu or in the difficulty selec. menu.
(figured this out when I looked in error log) - binary path is for campaign not Imperial Era so it didn't find them. Quick fix: copy the files to campaign images. N.B. warrior.png does not exist in IE at all so gonna need a substitute.

Also the energy damage type could use a profile icon. (Raindancer has this attack)

Scenario 2
Vani says menn and also fight out way (our) in his speech
Also the figther unit surely was meant to be fighter? The desc. calls it a fighter. Odd I have not seen this unit in my normal plays with the IE, I guess it is a campaign specific unit.
At the end Van say payed should be paid.

Good campaign, enjoying this. Neat to be fighting the Lavinians rather than being them. (got a long game on huge map as them going for over a year now - guess I know the enemy pretty well <g>) Surprised to see the disdain the regulars have for the aux. though. I quite value the aux. troops since the Lav's just hate forests so much. :) Quite amusing in any case.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Thanks Atreides. I've finally had time to look at these and I've fixed all the issues mentioned and uploaded a new version of this and the IE to the 1.16 add-on server.

I'm very surprised that you've never seen Fighters. They're not campaign-specific at all, though they did used to be called Warriors, so maybe that's the confusion?
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Heh, nah it's probably that I have not played this faction yet, only against it and you tend to know your own units better. (although a wise man once said know thine enemy :)
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Well, if your opponent is playing Sidhe well and only using wanderers, raindancers and ghosts that's not all that surprising to me. I suspect the fighters low cost just doesn't justify how badly it's outgunned by all the other options.
Kruggov

Post by Kruggov »

Will you port more campaigns to 1.16? So far the only IE campaigns on it are Up from Slavery and Tale of Vaniyera - particularly weird since Alfheim the Wise and Gali's Contract were on 1.15, but didn't get ported to 1.16.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

UnwiseOwl wrote: March 7th, 2022, 12:03 pm Well, if your opponent is playing Sidhe well and only using wanderers, raindancers and ghosts that's not all that surprising to me. I suspect the fighters low cost just doesn't justify how badly it's outgunned by all the other options.
Hmm, interesting. Since I've only played the AI with the IE it could be that the AI doesn't recruit them. I _think_ that the recruitment pattern can cause this which is why I've deleted it from all the eras I ported. The 1.16 AI seems very sophisticated in how it recruits and I believe that the pattern is an old crutch still hanging around for no good reason. :) Well come to think of it it still works and it probably is quite useful for campaign scenarios where you might want to make the AI recruit a certain way but for straight MP games vs the AI I doubt it is as good as just letting the AI make its own choices.

OTOH I probably just wasn't paying attention. <grin>