Dunno's RPG (0.4.1)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dunno

Dunno's RPG (0.4.1)

Post by Dunno »

Introduction and game concepts
The silver age of Wesnoth is near its end. Konrad II is in his elder age and no longer takes good care of the Kingdom. Corruption is present among the officers and what's worse, they plan something very evil once the king passes away. You are a mercenary who remembers the time of victorious battles agains the undead and who sees loyalty as the most important characteristic of a person. But how long can you remain loyal to corrupted egoists who happen to be your leaders?

Game concepts:
-Fame and Honor points: those are awarded for your actions. You start with 0 fame and 10 honor. Fame activates certain quests and limits amount of mercenaries you can recruit. Honor decides how easily you can sign peace and alliances and which units you can recruit. The lower your honor is, the more outlaws you can recruit; the higher your honor is, the more loyalists you can recruit.
-Quests: there are two kinds of quests, main and side quests. The main ones appear based on your fame and/or honor. Completing them usualy brings you closer to uniting Wesnoth. Side quests activate randomly and provide you with gold, fame and honor and sometimes with villages and castles. When a quest is available a label will appear on the map "Quest available". To activate it, simply move your leader to that label.
-Main scenarios/Interludes: (0.4 and later) aside from quests done in the main map, you'll have to complete main scenarios. These work like usual, good old campaign scenarios from mainline Wesnoth
-Shop: in every main city there is a shop. You can buy there better arms, armor and horses as well as travel to other places. You can have only one horse at a time.
-Mercenaries: these units have higher prices than usual recruits and you can recruit a limited amount of them (see Fame and Honor). There are two lines of mercenaries: cavalry (Glory Seeker->Knight-errant->Chevalier) and infantry (Watchman->Mercenary Crossbowman->Mercenary Sharpshooter / Watchman->Mercenary Swordsman->Hired Blade).
-AMLA: the adventurer unit advances through amla. You can choose between typical options: damage, strikes or hitpoints upgrade.
-Armies: units will be divided into two groups: regular units and armies. Regular units are used in quests and battles while armies are used to move on the main map. One army represents a group of 1-10 units which are unstored into the mask a given army enters. Armies can be edited via right-click menu whenever standing on a castle tile. Each army has its leader-usually the sergeant unit. See screenshots
-Battles: when two armies meet, the battle between them is played in a mask in the right section of the map. The masked terrain is chosen basing on the terrain each army stood on. The battle is over when one of the leader dies. You can call back your troops by right clicking on your army leader.
-Warps: Warp points are represented by a label, with the name of its destination, on the main map. Once a unit moves onto that label, an option to enter a certain area will appear. Warps from a mask to the main map are represented by a signpost. Some warps have got yes/no dialog already and some haven't got them yet, so be warned.
-Upkeep: You pay additional upkeep for armies and towns, 3 gold per each.

Note: the above introduction may not be accurate yet, since the scenario is not complete.
Current version: 0.4.1, available on the add-ons server.
Changelog
  • Replaced [move_unit] with [teleport] in travel submenu of shop
  • Fixed a typo in worker menu that allowed stacking villages
  • Options unavailable are now hidden in shop
  • Added a frankensprite for adventurer unit
  • Added a frankensprite for worker unit
  • Failed attempt at making in-game help. A weird bug I'll work on later has appeared.
  • Signing peace works. To sign peace you have to pay contribution equal to (your losses/your kills)*10
  • Added void section to the map
  • Fixed help
  • Minor changes in map and code
  • Added first playable quest outside the main map
  • Added Glory Seeker description <- thanks, Kanzil!
  • Shop menu now closes after traveling
  • Minor changes in map
  • Fixed wrong variable names
  • Added one unfinished quest
  • Minor changes in code
  • Redoing the map so it's much smaller and simpler.
  • All quests are moved to masked terrain
  • Workers will build editable cities (masked terrain)
  • Introducing armies
  • Added frankensprite for watchman made by AxeFighter
  • Carcyn scenario added
  • Labels now have the color of region's owner
  • Added frankensprites for mercenary swordsman and hired blade
  • "The Staff of Kelrin" quest added, with slight changes
0.3.3/0.4 demo
Frankly, I've forgot most things I've done betweens these two releases since I took a long break. I was even close to giving up...
  • Single player campaign (no longer multiplayer scenario)
  • Added all main regions
  • Battle mechanism works
  • Added setup and character customization (courtesy of Piko555)
  • Fixed hero vs. army battle
  • Fixed Dwarven Doors bug
  • Added scenarios: Prologue, Part one
  • Added side-quests: Caravan Robbery
  • Reduced the size of battle masks
  • Added forested hills battle mask
  • Polished and fixed numerous minor issues
  • Fixed bug in the side quest "caravan robbery"
  • Fixed bug in the battle mechanism (dead units appearing in the army manager)
  • Fixed bug in the income calculations
Screenshots-updated 11.01.2013
Army manager main menu
Army manager main menu
Army manager sub menu
Army manager sub menu
ss2.jpg (54.42 KiB) Viewed 6083 times
Mini-map
Mini-map
ss3.png (14.56 KiB) Viewed 6054 times
Elensefar
Elensefar
Peaceful Carcyn has unexpected visitors
Peaceful Carcyn has unexpected visitors

The contributors:
mithc: proof reading, play testing and mapping (retired)
Piko555: setup scenario and play testing (retired)
Kanzil: unit descriptions (retired)
AxeFighter: frankensprites (retired)

What you need to know playing this release:

The name of the campaign has been changed to Dunno's RPG meaning you have to download this add-on instead of updating,
This is the first release with plot! No more sandbox.
Heros can attack armies, but they will have to fight alone. Armies now have ridiculously high hp to avoid issues with magical/marksman attacks.

Things I am currently working on:
  • Polishing masked gameplay mod
  • Adding more scenarios and creating the plot
  • Adding more side quests
Quests & scenarios available
  • Prologue
  • Part one
  • Side quest caravan robbery
It's summer time! Stay tuned for regular updates :mrgreen:

As you can see, a lot of work is still ahead of me, so I'll be extremely grateful for any and every help I can get. From testing to coding and making sprites or maps. If you think you can work on something, please pm me or write in this thread. Any feedback is more than welcome, of course. Thank you! :D
Last edited by Dunno on July 16th, 2013, 9:57 am, edited 40 times in total.
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
TheScribe

Re: The Non-Linear RPG 0.1

Post by TheScribe »

Things that need to be done:
•More quests (highest priority)
Do you mean just thinking up new quests? I'd be happy to help with that.

I'd also be willing to help with testing. :D
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

From a historical perspective, when is this set? It's just because 1157YW would be a perfect time, as then you could have Akladia, Aethenoth, Weldyn and Elensefar as the warring states, providing a good link-in with Wesnoth's official history.
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

TheScribe wrote: Do you mean just thinking up new quests? I'd be happy to help with that.
Well, obviously, I'd prefer if someone could do some coding. But, ideas are also welcome, as long as they are not general stuff. You see, I'm not a native speaker, so something as silly as writing dialogues is very time consuming for me. Thus, if you ever come up with a quest that has dialogues and all, I'll be happy to code it in :)
Also, if you're into the "lighter" stuff, you could help me with writing units descriptions, in-game help, some story behind the cities or anything you come up with.
I'd also be willing to help with testing. :D
Well at the moment, what I have uploaded is more of a sandbox than a scenario. I do need help, though, with those small quests I've made. I need to know how hard is it to finish them and how much gold and fame do you need to fully conquer a city. I want the difficulty to be set in a way that prevents player from blasting through Wesnoth right away, so they are forced to do some side quests first (in order to gain gold, honor and fame). That will require patience and debugging skill...
Kanzil wrote:From a historical perspective, when is this set? It's just because 1157YW would be a perfect time, as then you could have Akladia, Aethenoth, Weldyn and Elensefar as the warring states, providing a good link-in with Wesnoth's official history.
Actually I thought about somewhere near the 380 YW. During the Dark Age. But I'm not insisting, since the scenario is hopelessly contradictory to mainline. I mean, conquering the whole Wesnoth? That just doesn't happen :wink:
Then again, I'm not the expert if it comes to the history of Wesnoth, so I might be wrong. Maybe there was indeed time when one could conquer the Wesnoth. :hmm:
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

Maybe there was indeed time when one could conquer the Wesnoth.
There was, Elynia helped Vikren the first conquer the entirety of Wesnoth, just after this time, which is why it's a perfect time to set it in. Anyway, I could help with a few descriptions and pieces of flavor text(PM me).
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Dunno wrote:Well, obviously, I'd prefer if someone could do some coding. But, ideas are also welcome, as long as they are not general stuff. You see, I'm not a native speaker, so something as silly as writing dialogues is very time consuming for me. Thus, if you ever come up with a quest that has dialogues and all, I'll be happy to code it in
Also, if you're into the "lighter" stuff, you could help me with writing units descriptions, in-game help, some story behind the cities or anything you come up with.
I could help with coding, but I'm not great at it. So, I'll PM you some quest ideas if you want. And I'd be happy to help with dialouge too. Actually, for that matter, I'd be happy to help with any/all of what you listed. Send me a PM with more specifics if you'd like me to help. :)
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

I can help with coding.

And some notes about your addon:
Why MP? If only one player can actually play it, it is campaign. Or you are planning support for several players?

If you make horse as "ability" of main character, it will be much more clear than now.

Opening the shop via "moveto" event looks like a bad solution to me.

You can add map of the country (as image) to the list of travel options, and mark each destination point with a number. Add "You are now in ###" to the title of this dalogue.

In blacksmith, you can hide upgrade options, if player have levelled them 4 times.

After peasant have performed a "work", he asks "Yes my master?" with only one option: nevermind. It is annoying.

As long as it is not intended for PvP, player will have a lot of fields. As a result, player will get anoying lag while all fields "produce" gold. May be it is good idea to drop this animation and create report as simple message every turn?
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

xudojnik wrote:I
Why MP? If only one player can actually play it, it is campaign. Or you are planning support for several players?
Yes, I do intend to make this multiplayer someday. I just want to have it working for singleplayer before working on multi.
If you make horse as "ability" of main character, it will be much more clear than now.
I guess... I'll do that later, it's just aesthetics and I want this scenario to work first :wink:
Opening the shop via "moveto" event looks like a bad solution to me.
Hm, point taken. I think I'll have to add it to the right click menu...
You can add map of the country (as image) to the list of travel options, and mark each destination point with a number. Add "You are now in ###" to the title of this dalogue.
Gee, that sure isn't what I'm going to work on until 1.0 :wink:
Though I'm definitely changing something about travel, maybe store/unstore instead of move unit. It just looks worse than I thought it would right now.
In blacksmith, you can hide upgrade options, if player have levelled them 4 times.
That is because I don't want it to become yet another Survival Extreme in which you have 18-6 ranged with berserk, marksman, feeding and drain :D
After peasant have performed a "work", he asks "Yes my master?" with only one option: nevermind. It is annoying.
Huh, they are supposed to die after working. And it works for me... I did add the note about additional conditions that have to be met in order to build stuff, though.
As long as it is not intended for PvP, player will have a lot of fields. As a result, player will get anoying lag while all fields "produce" gold. May be it is good idea to drop this animation and create report as simple message every turn?
I don't think I understand, players don't have fields... it's not anl, you can build only castles, keeps and villages.
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

Dunno wrote: I don't think I understand, players don't have fields... it's not anl, you can build only castles, keeps and villages.
Sorry for this, I just tried to play your add-on with ANL era. :lol2:
Dunno wrote:maybe store/unstore instead of move unit.
Try to use [teleport]
Dunno wrote:That is because I don't want it to become yet another Survival Extreme in which you have 18-6 ranged with berserk, marksman, feeding and drain :D
The keyword was "hide".

What do you think about splitting map to the several parts. Navigation from one part to another can be done via signposts on the roads. (See Wesband for example)
This design will reduce time you spend waiting the AI turn and give you flexibility with adding new regions.

I don't understand how to use peasants. :(
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

xudojnik wrote:Try to use [teleport]
Will do Done. Also, I added [scroll_to] and it looks much better.
The keyword was "hide".
Done, I've also hidden horses after you buy one, and the sell option before you buy one.
What do you think about splitting map to the several parts. Navigation from one part to another can be done via signposts on the roads. (See Wesband for example)
This design will reduce time you spend waiting the AI turn and give you flexibility with adding new regions.
I've actually thought about this, but making this map took me quite a while and I got this idea too late. Now I'm thinking about having this map as it is, AND adding some more regions like caves and other places for quests.
I don't understand how to use peasants. :(
It's because they don't work. Workers do. For some stupid reason, they are placed on the bottom of recruit list which is misleading. I don't know how to force them to be on top... :hmm:

Important edit: DO NOT use map settings!!! This is very important, because for some reason, if you check "use map settings" the AI doesn't work! :augh: Fog and everything is set on first turn, anyway.
Forgot to mention this before, my bad. :oops: Added this note to OP.
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

Dunno wrote:Will do Done. Also, I added [scroll_to] and it looks much better.
[teleport] with "animate = yes" automatically scrolls from source point to destination with cool fading (if you do not specify teleport animation).
Dunno wrote:Done, I've also hidden horses after you buy one, and the sell option before you buy one.
May be it is better to replace current horse with a new one and modify gold?
It will look like:

Code: Select all

Your horse: rouncy
Horse increases your movement points. You can have only one horse at a time.
  Done
  10g (+5g): Stubborn rouncy (2 MP)
  15g: Sell your rouncy (3 MP)
  25g (-10g): Stubborn courser (5 MP)
  30g (-15g): Courser (6 MP)
  40g (-25g): Spirited Courser (8MP)
Dunno wrote:I've actually thought about this, but making this map took me quite a while and I got this idea too late. Now I'm thinking about having this map as it is, AND adding some more regions like caves and other places for quests.
The Non-Linear RPG 0.1
It is not that late yet.
Anyway, special regions for quests is a good idea.
Dunno wrote:It's because they don't work. Workers do. For some stupid reason, they are placed on the bottom of recruit list which is misleading. I don't know how to force them to be on top... :hmm:
After looking to your add-on code, I found that you can build only if you are 18 hex far from roads. You made it to prevent building inside existent cities? Why 18?

I propose you:
add special "city center" tile - unwalkable
allow player to build 18hex far from city center (not from roads)
allow player to build roads without consuming workers

You can't reorder recruitment list. Why do you ever need peasant unit?
Dunno wrote:Important edit: DO NOT use map settings!!!
Remove those hacks. This is very bad design. I'll try to help you to workaround Ai issue, but everything else should be done without bad solutions.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Ok, I've passed my driving license exam and now I can focus on this scenario of mine once again :mrgreen:
I'm currently finishing diplomacy (signing peace). It almost works now so probably tomorrow I'll upload 0.1.2
xudojnik wrote: May be it is better to replace current horse with a new one and modify gold?
Hm, you're right that would look better. But for now I'd like to work on things that require most attention, not on aesthetics :wink:
Anyway, special regions for quests is a good idea.
I've had another idea. I could make only one (two for multiplayer) void regions that would change via [modify_terrain]. That might take a bit of time but will make a rather good effect, I believe.
After looking to your add-on code, I found that you can build only if you are 18 hex far from roads. You made it to prevent building inside existent cities? Why 18?
I'm still thinking on that number. I just put the first thing that came to my mind. As I said, I've barely had time to test things. And I think that your proposition about custom terrain would take more code but wouldn't change much.
You can't reorder recruitment list. Why do you ever need peasant unit?
Because recruits available change depending on one's honor. The less honor one has, the more outlaws and less loyalists one can recruit and vice versa. Peasants can still be recruited with honor a bit lower than 10 (default), while spearmen and others cannot.
Remove those hacks. This is very bad design. I'll try to help you to workaround Ai issue, but everything else should be done without bad solutions.
I know. I just have absolutely no idea what's causing this bug. That's one of the reasons this version begins with 0. It's hardly half-way done and some things don't work properly. This hack is for debugging and testing sake, and will eventually be removed (or I hope so)
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

Dunno wrote:I've had another idea. I could make only one (two for multiplayer) void regions that would change via [modify_terrain]. That might take a bit of time but will make a rather good effect, I believe.
In this case, I think you will be interested in terrain masks. They are widely used in level creation in Wesband.
Because recruits available change depending on one's honor. The less honor one has, the more outlaws and less loyalists one can recruit and vice versa.
I like that feature, but it require some ingame tutorial.
You can rename Worker as "A worker". Recruitment list is alphabetically sorted.

Do you have .hg repository for this project?
TheScribe

Re: The Non-Linear RPG 0.1.1

Post by TheScribe »

It almost works now so probably tomorrow I'll upload 0.1.2
Great, I'll download it tomorrow. I'll look at quest ideas after playing it a while, that way I'll have a better idea of what you want.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

xudojnik wrote:Do you have .hg repository for this project?
What is that :shock: