The Black Cross of Aleron (formerly Besieged Druids)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WackoJacko

Re: The Black Cross of Aleron (formerly Besieged Druids)

Post by WackoJacko »

Hey mate,
I'm enjoying the campaign so far however there may be a problem with the haste potions. A unit given a haste potion retains the marker in later scenarios and that unit is then unable to receive another haste potion (in later scenarios).

EDIT:
I noticed that in previous posts you mentioned changing the objectives in "Tracing the Goblins' Path" to show that the hero must go into the light. This hasn't changed in the latest version.

EDIT 2:
I assumed the last scenario was indeed the last scenario but a small line of text indicating this would be nice.
Also, I saw it was to be continued! Is there a sequel or second campaign that continues the story?
sergey

Post by sergey »

Hi Celtic_Minstrel. I am enjoying this campaign, elvish maidens with a lot of different traits/abilities/weapon specials are cool!

I would like to report a bug related to haste potions. Wesnoth version 1.14.11, campaign version 2.0.3
The fix for removing the haste status at the end of scenario doesn't work. I investigated this issue and for some reason the modify_unit command has no effect if unit has the haste object (and I assume the victory event happens before the object removal with duration=scenario). I even tested it by issuing modify_unit (for removing the haste status) in a middle of a scenario and it does nothing on units with the object. I fixed this issue by moving the modify_unit from victory event to prestart event inside the _main.cfg file. It looks like a core bug, but it is so rare I am not sure it is worthy to report.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Hey sergey, I had the same bug. I'm glad somebody's found a fix. :)
egallager

Post by egallager »

Been playing this campaign recently; I really like it! Here's the scenario-specific feedback I said I was going to give on Discord:
  • In S05 ("Reinforcements") I think reaching the elf city should cause an increase in the turn limit. I explored a little bit before reaching the city (the villages were too tempting for me not to capture them!), but I still got there with what I thought would be plenty of turns, but then it turned out that the amount of time I'd have to wait around for the Queen to get a move on resulted in me getting pushed over the limit. This didn't seem very fair, as her preparation was out of my control, and I didn't know about it beforehand. If adding more turns as part of the discovery event is out of the question, even just changing the initial turn limit declaration to {TURNS 17 16 15} would be an improvement.
  • Also in that scenario, the grey undead side takes a long time to complete its turns... maybe using the Fast Micro AI (ai_type=fast_ai) would be an improvement? Or at least simple_targeting=yes?
  • In S06 ("Along The Coast") a unit says ""Wow! It looks like it destroyed all the undead in the swamp outskirts!" upon ending the scenario, but when I looked around in linger mode, it looked like there was still a bat left... I guess because bats technically don't count as undead? Still, as it was on the undead side, it still seemed rather inconsistent... anyways, this isn't the biggest issue since it doesn't actually affect gameplay; just thought I'd mention it...
  • In S07 ("Into the Dread Marsh") the commentary for the nest placement code says it's supposed to avoid placing nests on the edges (i.e., where they'd be unreachable), but one still wound up on the edge for me anyways... maybe make their placement restrictions a bit tighter?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

FTR, can I convince you to put me into the credits, on grounds of my extensive feedback? :)
GrandMarshalEmil

Post by GrandMarshalEmil »

Guys I need your help. I'm stuck in the "tracing the Goblin's Path" scenario. I reached the end of the tunnel and it's not acknowledging a finish. I end up using all my turns. Replaying the scenario or reinstalling the add-on doesn't help. Any fixes?
Attachments
Help.png
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Looks like I forgot to make it clear in the objectives, but apparently you need to move your leader into that light.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
GrandMarshalEmil

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: October 17th, 2021, 8:04 pm Looks like I forgot to make it clear in the objectives, but apparently you need to move your leader into that light.
I have. That Earendel fellow, right? I've tried various combinations of the other story-important units, but it still isn't working. Anything else I can try? Thanks for the quick reply, btw. I appreciate it.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Yeah, that's the one, Eärendil. She isn't even visible in your screenshot, so I thought you hadn't tried that. I looked at the code and she's the only one who can trigger the event, and only the two hexes right at the edge of the map will qualify. Are you sure you moved her to one of those hexes and it still didn't trigger the end of the scenario?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

There's some nifty coding in this one. I might use some of it.
In scenario 07. There's an extra last breath event that doesn't do anything.
Domination ring is outputting to the console without debug being on.
ENABLE_TROLL_SHAMAN is being redefined, it's already in extra_defines.
variables heal_amount, harm_amount aren't being cleared.
It would be cool if give_item had a boolean key to specify if the item should be dropped on death. like drop_on_death=no, and default to yes.
In scenario 08. It is possible to dominate malinkalar which would skip the die and last breath events. maybe add fire_event=yes to the kill in domination.cfg
In scenario 08, die event, the [message]s have name= instead of id= or speaker= which skips the entire dialogue.
Scenario 09, angry orc scenario. I got a lua error.

Code: Select all

20211019 16:48:27 error scripting/lua: ~add-ons/Black_Cross_of_Aleron/lua/wlp.lua:35: bad argument #2 to 'put_unit' (invalid location)
stack traceback:
        [C]: in field 'put_unit'
        ~add-ons/Black_Cross_of_Aleron/lua/wlp.lua:35: in local 'cmd'
        lua/wml-utils.lua:145: in field 'handle_event_commands'
        lua/wml-flow.lua:6: in function <lua/wml-flow.lua:5>
I think it tried to place a unit on the border. include_borders=no is missing from a couple of scatter_units

Edit: One more.
scenarios/subscen/09a-outlaw-return.cfg
gender=gender instead of gender={GENDER}
Last edited by vghetto on October 19th, 2021, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

GrandMarshalEmil wrote: October 18th, 2021, 1:11 am
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: October 17th, 2021, 8:04 pm Looks like I forgot to make it clear in the objectives, but apparently you need to move your leader into that light.
I have. That Earendel fellow, right? I've tried various combinations of the other story-important units, but it still isn't working. Anything else I can try? Thanks for the quick reply, btw. I appreciate it.
Could you provide a save file?
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Cool campaign, very interesting. I played on normal difficulty, and found it quite easy (I don't remember losing any units above L0), especially towards the end where the turn limits and early finish bonus were really high (for example, I started S09 with 1415 gold, vs 250 for my enemy).

I saw the same put_unit error as above, and Goblin's Path worked for me, FWIW.

Thanks for creating this. Looking forward to seeing more ("To be continued...").
GrandMarshalEmil

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: October 18th, 2021, 4:11 am Yeah, that's the one, Eärendil. She isn't even visible in your screenshot, so I thought you hadn't tried that. I looked at the code and she's the only one who can trigger the event, and only the two hexes right at the edge of the map will qualify. Are you sure you moved her to one of those hexes and it still didn't trigger the end of the scenario?
Alright. I revisited the save and tried the fix you suggested. It still isn't working, sadly. As for Eärendil, she's the black Mystic with the gold crown(from the "Reign of Lords" advancement add-on) encircled in the screenshot I attached. cold it have something to do with that? Was Eärendil meant to stay on the unit-line path in vanilla Wesnoth? If so, then that's my bad. I'll just have to replay the campaign again if that's the case. Will wait for a reply before moving forward with this . :D
Last edited by GrandMarshalEmil on October 21st, 2021, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrandMarshalEmil

Konrad2 wrote: October 19th, 2021, 6:13 pm
GrandMarshalEmil wrote: October 18th, 2021, 1:11 am
Could you provide a save file?
Oh no, it got written over by the autosaves from other campaign(not a fan of save-scumming, but when I do, I usually start from an unadulterated autosave, which happens a lot, incidentally, making me a hypocrite. Hahahaha), I'll replay the scenario and I'll be sure to tell if I still can't advance from it.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

GrandMarshalEmil wrote: October 21st, 2021, 1:45 pm Oh no, it got written over by the autosaves from other campaign(not a fan of save-scumming, but when I do, I usually start from an unadulterated autosave, which happens a lot, incidentally, making me a hypocrite. Hahahaha), I'll replay the scenario and I'll be sure to tell if I still can't advance from it.
For the record, in your preferences you can change how many autosaves you can have at a time.