The Black Cross of Aleron (formerly Besieged Druids)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sadaharu

Re: The Black Cross of Aleron (formerly Besieged Druids)

Post by Sadaharu »

Do I have to start the campaign (or each scenario) afresh, CM, or is it enough with just loading the latest saved game for those changes to apply?
Konrad2 wrote: August 17th, 2018, 8:24 am
Sadaharu wrote: August 17th, 2018, 3:42 am A Treewalker or two can take care of that.
In that case, please explain what one or two Treewalkers can do against more than 20 Giant Frogs. :D
I'll freely admit that if you watched a replay you'd say ‘Man, this Sadaharu lucked out’ and no, I didn't savescum my way through it.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Sadaharu wrote: August 18th, 2018, 8:55 pm Do I have to start the campaign (or each scenario) afresh, CM, or is it enough with just loading the latest saved game for those changes to apply?
It may depend on the changes, but for most changes it should suffice to restart the scenario you were last in. (The exception is mostly the obvious, like if I added a new item or free unit in an earlier scenario.)
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

So, the Ogre event in Sc9 doesn't work. (The Ogres don't say anything, but my unit answers.)

(Btw, I've finished the campaign, so no more feedback from me.)
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Konrad2 wrote: August 19th, 2018, 2:08 pm So, the Ogre event in Sc9 doesn't work. (The Ogres don't say anything, but my unit answers.)
I'm checking my replay.

Perhaps the ogre leader Kurm has already been killed by the Orcs and/or wild animals.

These are the two dialogues. First, my Sylph Sefiwiel crossed the wall and Kurm became visible at the edge of the fog of war:
Kurm (Ogre) eat puny elf!
Sefiwiel (Sylph): Do not expect me to submit to your pot.
Kurm not care! Kurm has eaten only bugs for past six days!
Then my units kill the young ogre unit:
You kill son! For that, you die!
(then the ogre proceeds to attack an Enchantress on forest terrain and gets clobbered).
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Actually, the issue with is that on hard mode you face a Great Ogre instead of a regular Ogre. Originally the ogre's dialogue was matched to him by unit type, since there was only one unit of that type on the map, but that means on hard mode I need to change it for every message or filter involving him, and apparently I missed most of those. I already have it fixed locally.

(By the way, the ogre's name is random. Also, the response varies depending on the race of the responding unit. Also there's no guarantee you're even facing orcs in this scenario.)
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:there's no guarantee you're even facing orcs in this scenario
To quote a certain green-clad character, orcs are ‘little chunks of XP’.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

My point is that you could be facing Harry Muflin rather than Graktar or his son.
Trossknecht

Post by Trossknecht »

The Black Cross of Aleron is nothing short of brilliant. Indeed, it is at the very top of my list of favorite campaigns.

Of late, however, I have run into what seem to be technical difficulties. In particular, when playing the scenario called "Reinforcements from Analandoron," I find that the resolution of my moves (that is, the response of the AI) takes a long time. Moreover, the time required to resolve each move takes longer with each turn. Thus, in the first three or four turns, the hour-glass icon only appears for a few seconds. However, by turn ten, the "whirling circle of death" lasts for more than an hour.

In the first scenario, the character called "Erendor" (who plays a central role in "Reinforcements from Analandoron") appears twice. (I have even managed to use the first "Erendor" to land on the spot that caused the second "Erendor" to appear.) The second "Erendor" does not, however, appear in my recall list.

I am using Version 1.143 for Macintosh on a MacBookPro (2012, souped up with 16 megs of RAM). I am also playing the game modified by the "artifact creation" and "armory" add-ons.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Trossknecht wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 10:41 pm I am using Version 1.143 for Macintosh on a MacBookPro (2012, souped up with 16 megs of RAM). I am also playing the game modified by the "artifact creation" and "armory" add-ons.
Are these single-player modifications that you enable while playing BCoA? If so, it's going to be difficult for me to determine whether the issues you're experiencing are a direct result of problems in my campaign, rather than conflicts with these add-ons. I have never seen Erendor appear twice, for example, though I'll take a look anyway, as I can imagine a possible (rare) situation in which it might happen – there are, in fact, two different events that place him, and while in practice only one of these should ever fire, I'm not sure if that's entirely guaranteed.

What difficulty are you playing on?
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Yup. Unless a campaign was made to support or require a [modification], any glitches occuring while you are using an unsupported mod are the fault of the mod. I.e. if something the mod does conflicts or otherwise doesn't mesh well with a campaign, and the campaign author hasn't used either ignore_incompatible_modification or force_modification, then it is the responsibility of the mod's author to either accomodate the scenario or campaign, or to use disallow_scenario=.
The justification for all that being, of course, the fact that mods are loaded ad hoc when you've chosen a scenario or a campaign.

You need to disable them first, then see if you can reproduce the delays and the doubled Erendor.
Last edited by Can-ned_Food on August 25th, 2018, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trossknecht

Post by Trossknecht »

What difficulty are you playing on?
[/quote]

I was playing on "Druid" (medium.)

I should add that the first Erendor appeared when I placed a unit on the little castle on hex 26,20 before killing the Goblin king and thus before the red target symbol appeared within that hex. The second Erendor appeared after the demise of the Goblin king and thus after the appearance of the red target symbol.

Since posting my report, I played the better part of the first scenario twice, one with all mods turned off and once with only the "armory mod" engaged. In both playings, Erendor only appeared once (as he is supposed to.) Thus, I find myself thinking that the double appearance of Erendor may have been a function of the premature occupation of 20,26.

In the very near future, I will try to replicate the premature occupation of 20,26, both with and without the armory mod engaged, to see if I can replicate the double appearance of Erendor.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

If you manage to replicate it without the armory mod (and without the other mod you mentioned), then please post a save or replay so I can take a look.
Trossknecht

Post by Trossknecht »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: August 24th, 2018, 12:46 pm If you manage to replicate it without the armory mod (and without the other mod you mentioned), then please post a save or replay so I can take a look.
I haven't managed to replicate the "double Erendor" phenomenon. However, I have noticed that, when I play the game with the armory mod engaged, units that reach level two receive a double allocation of level-two weapons. You can see this in the attached saved games.

Please note that some of the level-two units are also carrying weapons that they picked up from the battlefield.
Attachments
BCoA-The Goblin Sacking of Aleron Citadel-Auto-Save27.gz
(136.86 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
BCoA-Tracing the Goblins' Path-Auto-Save15.gz
(207.31 KiB) Downloaded 430 times
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

That seems to be a issue to discuss in the Armoury Mod thread rather than a BCoA issue. Testing on a normal multiplayer map with only Armoury Mod changing the gameplay, when an Elvish Shaman levels up to an Elvish Sorceress then she drops L1 weapons. I'm not familiar with the mod, so don't know if that's expected.

Looking at your savegames, the sorceress Nëmia is affected, and she seems to be normal elf (no special BCoA initiates' attacks or traits).
Trossknecht

Post by Trossknecht »

The "receive double number of level-two weapons upon leveling up" phenomenon seems to apply to both generic units and those that are peculiar to The Black Cross of Aleron.

For an example, see the three level-two units (all elvish sorceresses) at hexes (19,9)(19,8), and (19,7). One of these (Nëmia) is a generic unit. The other two are "speedy" units peculiar to The Black Cross of Aleron
BCoA-Tracing the Goblins' Path Turn 14 copy.gz
(205.89 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
I have also posted this information on the thread devoted to the "Armory Mod."
Last edited by Trossknecht on August 26th, 2018, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.