The Black Cross of Aleron (formerly Besieged Druids)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: The Black Cross of Aleron (formerly Besieged Druids)

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

GrandMarshalEmil wrote: October 21st, 2021, 1:41 pm Alright. I revisited the save and tried the fix you suggested. It still isn't working, sadly. As for Eärendil, she's the black Mystic with the gold crown(from the "Reign of Lords" advancement add-on) encircled in the screenshot I attached. cold it have something to do with that? Was Eärendil meant to stay on the unit-line path in vanilla Wesnoth? If so, then that's my bad. I'll just have to replay the campaign again if that's the case. Will wait for a reply before moving forward with this . :D
Oh, you're right, I missed the crown in your screenshot because I was looking for a druid or a shyde. She is supposed to advance to a shyde for plot reasons, but it shouldn't break anything if she doesn't – it's matching her unit ID, not her type.

At least you're only on the second scenario, so replaying shouldn't be too hard if that's what's needed…?

If you still have the save, it might be useful to check if the event even exists (using :debug and :inspect). It should have "name = moveto # end of tunnel" or something like that.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Mathemagician

Post by Mathemagician »

Are there any plans to port this to wesnoth 1.16? I might just do it myself if not.
Formerly NeoPhile
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I plan to port it, but I don't have a specific timeline yet.
Mathemagician

Post by Mathemagician »

Sweet. Well I did the preliminary work of running wmllint on it, and that seems to be all it needs. I just finished the 3rd scenario, and everything is as I remember, with no bugs in sight and no balance issues. That said, there are some wmllint warnings and some worrying messages in the lua console, so we'll see.
Formerly NeoPhile
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Indeed, I wouldn't expect any major compatibility issues if you want to try running the 1.14 version on 1.16.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Don't forget my bugs :)
Overall this is a very clean and well written campaign. The lua might need some updating for the new api.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

one of my favourite campaigns. :-)
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

vghetto wrote: November 25th, 2021, 2:42 pm The lua might need some updating for the new api.
It'll certainly need updating at some point, but the goal with the new API was that the old stuff would simply keep working without any issues. It's not quite meeting that goal, but it's close.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Wesnoth just added achievement support in the most recent development update, so now I'm thinking about what achievements I could create for Black Cross of Aleron. So far I've come up with 30, but I feel like I'm missing something, so I'm open to suggestions.

BCoA has a lot of easter eggs, so this might be a good way to get more exposure to them.
Mathemagician

Post by Mathemagician »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:32 am So far I've come up with 30, but I feel like I'm missing something, so I'm open to suggestions.
You should tell us what they are, or else you'll just get a bunch of duplicates. It's been a while since I've played this, but off the top of my head,
  • Have at least one of every advancement possible, or at least the highest level ones.
  • None of the humans you discover in the second or third scenario (I forget which) die.
  • Not a single death on your side the entire campaign.
  • One per easter egg, and one for getting them all.
  • Get someone to L3 in the first scenario.
Formerly NeoPhile
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Most of those aren't duplicates. The only one that could be called a duplicate is "one per easter egg".
Mathemagician wrote: January 24th, 2023, 3:53 am Have at least one of every advancement possible, or at least the highest level ones.
Are you talking about collecting every possible quirk (either just recruiting them or getting them to reach L1), or only the special advancement lines (archmage, priestess, wisp)?
Mathemagician wrote: January 24th, 2023, 3:53 am None of the humans you discover in the second or third scenario (I forget which) die.
It's possible to not even discover those humans. Obviously you wouldn't get the achievement if you discover no humans, but what if you only discover a subset of the possible humans? Can you still get this achievement?
Mathemagician wrote: January 24th, 2023, 3:53 am Not a single death on your side the entire campaign.
Not sure about this one. Seems a bit too generic, and also next to impossible.
Mathemagician wrote: January 24th, 2023, 3:53 am One per easter egg, and one for getting them all.
An achievement for getting all the easter eggs sounds okay, as long as it doesn't end up being "you get this if you unlock every other achievement".
Mathemagician wrote: January 24th, 2023, 3:53 am Get someone to L3 in the first scenario.
Does it have to be a recruit, or is this about getting Earendil or Erendor to L3 in the first scenario?

The non-hidden ones I've come up with are:
  1. Step in the campfire and get hurt (scenario 2)
  2. Discover the dwarves (scenario 2)
  3. Kill all the rabid rats (scenario 2) - these are rats that jump out from certain villages (there's also one in the hidden area; haven't decided whether to include that one)
  4. Sink all the ships (scenario 3)
  5. Recruit Ariandela (scenario 3)
  6. Rescue the merfolk village (scenario 3)
  7. Recruit the elvish captain (scenario 3)
  8. Recruit the orcish archer (scenario 3)
  9. Capture all the mills and the ruined house in the mountains (scenario 3) - these are all the villages that humans pop out of (I'm not sure if humans pop out of every mill right now, but I'd probably add a few more if they don't)
  10. Investigate the shipwreck (scenario 3)
  11. Obtain the Storm Trident (scenario 4)
  12. Obtain the Holy Necklace (scenario 4)
  13. Obtain the Freezing Staff (taken from Malcorn in scenario 4, 7, 8, possibly 10)
  14. Utilize the berserker's secret passage (scenario 4)
  15. Recruit the troll shaman (scenario 6)
  16. Recruit the drakes (scenario 6)
  17. Investigate the gryphon nest (scenario 9)
  18. Aphrophila shows up (scenario 10)
  19. Caluclya survives (scenario 10, requires hard difficulty)
  20. Collect all the potions
  21. Collect all the artifacts (off the top of my head I think there are 4 - Storm Trident, Holy Necklace, Ring of Domination, and Freezing Staff)
  22. Bring someone back from the dead (elvish priestess ability - would require her ability to be triggered, plus recalling the unit afterwards)
And the hidden ones are behind a spoiler in case you don't want to be spoiled. Note that it's not guaranteed all of these will be hidden, but at the moment they are all drafted as hidden.
Spoiler:
Mathemagician

Post by Mathemagician »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: January 24th, 2023, 5:47 am Most of those aren't duplicates. The only one that could be called a duplicate is "one per easter egg".
Mathemagician wrote: January 24th, 2023, 3:53 am Have at least one of every advancement possible, or at least the highest level ones.
Are you talking about collecting every possible quirk (either just recruiting them or getting them to reach L1), or only the special advancement lines (archmage, priestess, wisp)?
I was thinking more in terms of units than quirks. But I was thinking special and normal units. So you'd need an avenger, an outrider, etc in addition to the special ones. I'm not sure how this would interact with optional units like the dwarves, I'll leave that to you.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: January 24th, 2023, 5:47 am
Mathemagician wrote: January 24th, 2023, 3:53 am None of the humans you discover in the second or third scenario (I forget which) die.
It's possible to not even discover those humans. Obviously you wouldn't get the achievement if you discover no humans, but what if you only discover a subset of the possible humans? Can you still get this achievement?
That's a good question. I'm leaning towards yes, but I'd be happy either way.
Mathemagician wrote: January 24th, 2023, 3:53 am One per easter egg, and one for getting them all.
An achievement for getting all the easter eggs sounds okay, as long as it doesn't end up being "you get this if you unlock every other achievement".
That's essentially what this is, only for a subset of the achievements. But then, so is collect all the artifacts.
Mathemagician wrote: January 24th, 2023, 3:53 am Get someone to L3 in the first scenario.
Does it have to be a recruit, or is this about getting Earendil or Erendor to L3 in the first scenario?
Oh yeah, that would kinda subvert my expectations here. Maybe change it to have a single unit level up twice in the first scenario. So initiate to L2, or druid to shyde with AMLA, or fighter/archer (there are a few hiding in S1, aren't there?) to L3 would all work. Now that I think of it, you could do a similar one for civilians when they show up too.

Remember, these are just suggestions. It's your campaign, you're free to use, modify or ignore them as you see fit. I'm also not sure how achievements work yet - particularly how they interact with difficulty, so I'm flying half blind here.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: January 24th, 2023, 5:47 am The non-hidden ones I've come up with are:
  1. Step in the campfire and get hurt (scenario 2)
  2. Discover the dwarves (scenario 2)
  3. Kill all the rabid rats (scenario 2) - these are rats that jump out from certain villages (there's also one in the hidden area; haven't decided whether to include that one)
  4. Sink all the ships (scenario 3)
  5. Recruit Ariandela (scenario 3)
  6. Rescue the merfolk village (scenario 3)
  7. Recruit the elvish captain (scenario 3)
  8. Recruit the orcish archer (scenario 3)
  9. Capture all the mills and the ruined house in the mountains (scenario 3) - these are all the villages that humans pop out of (I'm not sure if humans pop out of every mill right now, but I'd probably add a few more if they don't)
  10. Investigate the shipwreck (scenario 3)
  11. Obtain the Storm Trident (scenario 4)
  12. Obtain the Holy Necklace (scenario 4)
  13. Obtain the Freezing Staff (taken from Malcorn in scenario 4, 7, 8, possibly 10)
  14. Utilize the berserker's secret passage (scenario 4)
  15. Recruit the troll shaman (scenario 6)
  16. Recruit the drakes (scenario 6)
  17. Investigate the gryphon nest (scenario 9)
  18. Aphrophila shows up (scenario 10)
  19. Caluclya survives (scenario 10, requires hard difficulty)
  20. Collect all the potions
  21. Collect all the artifacts (off the top of my head I think there are 4 - Storm Trident, Holy Necklace, Ring of Domination, and Freezing Staff)
  22. Bring someone back from the dead (elvish priestess ability - would require her ability to be triggered, plus recalling the unit afterwards)
And the hidden ones are behind a spoiler in case you don't want to be spoiled. Note that it's not guaranteed all of these will be hidden, but at the moment they are all drafted as hidden.
Spoiler:
That's a good list. I particularly like the last and 3rd last hidden ones. My only objection is the
Spoiler:
making that a little too luck-based for my liking.
Formerly NeoPhile
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Mathemagician wrote: January 24th, 2023, 6:18 pm That's essentially what this is, only for a subset of the achievements. But then, so is collect all the artifacts.
A subset is fine, I just don't want to end up with an achievement that's literally "collect all achievements to get this".

Speaking of collecting all the artifacts, Ring of Domination doesn't have its own achievement. I wonder if it should…?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Speaking of collecting all the artifacts, Ring of Domination doesn't have its own achievement. I wonder if it should…?
Players relish in achievement hunting so add as many as you can.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Sure, but then, what exactly would the achievement be for the Ring of Domination?