Amorphous's Pixel Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Speedbrain

Re: Amorphous's Pixel Art

Post by Speedbrain »

You're going to need an artist to tell you if anything is wrong with that because it looks good to me.
Maybe Zero will drop by sometime.

Looking forward to lurking more in this thread. :whistle:
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

It looks good to me too. (I take it he's intended to have no face?)
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

WHO DARES INVOKE MY NAME AND WAKE ME FROM MY SLUMBER?

The sprite's pretty good- it's pretty well scaled! Hand and leg were a bit awkward, so I adjusted those a bit.

Then I got carried away. Sorry bout that.
Attachments
sorry i got carried away.PNG
sorry i got carried away.PNG (5.49 KiB) Viewed 11021 times
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

I wish you got carried away more often...
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

Zerovirus get carried away? Never happens. :P

Actually, I really like his work and have for years now. I'm happy to see he is still around after I have come back from a long Wesbreak.
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

It's not that he doesn't produce good work, just not enough to sate my hunger for good pixel art. If only we could lock him in a dungeon and make him produce pixel art all day :D. Anyway,I really like Amorphous's work and hope he continues. However the hand looks like it is holding the staff backwards.
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Thanks everyone! :oops:
Been messing around with Zero's very much appreciated paint over. The result is attached.
I take it he's intended to have no face?

Yep. He's your standard totally-unoriginal-yet-still-kewl-looking Ringwraith ripoff. :P
Okey-doke, that's all for now.
Attachments
eaterofsouls.png
eaterofsouls.png (2.53 KiB) Viewed 10921 times
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Something else now:
warrior.png
warrior.png (2.05 KiB) Viewed 10871 times
She's a tad puny, so I guess she's only a level 0. Maybe she'll be useful for someone?
alex23

Post by alex23 »

I think the necromance? is ok, but maybe his left arm (the one with the staff) is a bit too short?
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Hm, good point. I edited the sprite accordingly, it should be better now. Thanks for pointing it out. :)
I also made a few edits to the warrior baseframe I posted earlier, mostly to do with the palette and hair.
warrior.png
warrior.png (2.1 KiB) Viewed 10743 times
I took a shot at animating it, too. Right now I'm working on an attack animation- still in the blocking stage ATM.
test.gif
test.gif (3.86 KiB) Viewed 10743 times
I'm very new to animating, so feedback on this would be very, very appreciated. This is actually a failed version of a previous cobbled together with some stray frames, but I decided I'd finish it up anyway for the practice. The movement of the skirt and hair are both looking pretty messed up right now, and there a few niggles here and there- but I'll leave it to you to tell me what's wrong. :)
Attachments
eaterofsouls.png
eaterofsouls.png (2.59 KiB) Viewed 10743 times
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Dropping by for a quick animation comment. I'm not an expert in those things when it comes to how sprite-based games do them though, so this is mostly a gut feeling.

Such as it is now, I see two major flaws in the attack.
- chest translation : you made the hips and torso move in a straight line, whereas we tend to accompany forceful circular movements with a rotation that gives added momentum, because of how our entire body works together (try moving your arm like your warrior does when he prepares to strike, and see how your ribcage follows). It doesn't have to be much, but it'll make the attack a lot more lifelike.
- the movement behind your sword swipe seems to involve only the wrist and forearm (barely). I think the swipe would be more convincing if there was a clearer bend of the arm, which might even go as far as overlapping the chest when arming the sword.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

That's right Wesnoth sprites like to exaggerate movement. Attack animations also have moved to a "step towards" action to where yours actually steps back. Remember she's going to slide towards the enemy.
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Thanks for the tips! :) Yeah, the bodily movement was really off, I'll try and implement your critiques.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Lordbob pretty much explains it. The whole body have to move to look convincing.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Indeed. And it's worth reiterating: exaggeration is absolutely key at this scale (heck, at any scale) of animation. You need a LOT of stretch-and-squash to make an anim look good.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.