Amorphous's Pixel Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Amorphous

Amorphous's Pixel Art

Post by Amorphous »

Hi, all. I'm rather new to the forums and this is my first post (though I have been lurking for a while), so please bear with me if I'm not very knowledgeable on the workings of the forums. :) (I have read the Guidelines and such, but that can only do you so much when you first join a community, after all.)
So, as you already know, this is the thread where I'll be posting my pixel art. I'm really new to pixel art, so critique is very much appreciated.
I've been working on several sprites that are (hopefully) in Wesnoth's style. I've attached the three that I've worked on the most so far: a young Elvish Sylph, an angel unit, or "Holy Champion", and a Minotaur-type thing. As you can see the Holy Champion is still very much a WIP. And the MInotaur, while a lot more final, is still a WIP as well. The Sylph is really the only one I consider "finished", but there are a one or two things I'm unsure about for her, the TC shading in particular. But, I'm open (well, desperate, really :P ) for any other crit as well.
Young Sylph.png
Young Sylph.png (2.94 KiB) Viewed 16258 times
For the Minotaur, I'm looking more for anatomy crits then anything else, but, again, I'm unsure about the TC shading. And, I know the head of his weapon looks terrible right now, but I haven't really been able to fix that. Tips on that would be helpful.
Minotaur.png
Minotaur.png (4.43 KiB) Viewed 16258 times
Now, on the topic of the Holy Champion, I'll have to clear a few things up. His right (our left) arm is going to hold a sword in the final version, but I haven't quite gotten down to that yet. And, as is blatantly obvious, he doesn't have a left wing. This is because when ever I try draw one for him, the perspective seems really off. :hmm: A paintover would be much appreciated for this. I'm also planning on redoing the feather texture, and perhaps the palette as well. Also, he doesn't have a left forearm yet, but that's just because I haven't gotten down to drawing it in yet. Anyway, I'm not looking for any specific crit on him, so pointing out anything that needs to be fixed would be helpful.
Holy champion.png
Holy champion.png (4.31 KiB) Viewed 16258 times
Well, thanks for reading. And, once again, C & C greatly appreciated. :)
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Re: Amorphous's Pixel Art

Post by Zerovirus »

These are pretty good sprites! Reminds me of my own starting sprites, except these are obviously better :P

I anticipated posting a paintover of the holy champion for you and indeed spent about 40 minutes on it, only to lose it to a program crash. Kind of disappointing, but I guess I'll try to explain my major points in text instead then.

With the holy champion, your outlines are too weak. You antialiase inside the armor-chunks too much so everything looks blurry, and not enough 3dness is established. Try using some sel-out on the internal outlines so they don't clash as strongly with the lighter armor. In addition, the wing does kind of look off; I did a paintover which looked a bit better, but again, that's not here. Consider adding a shield!

On the minotaur, he's too... sideview. Pull the legs back so they're under him. In addition, think about moving his shoulders down a bit so you have space to add the trapezius muscles; right now, they're not represented at all. Finally, get a stronger outline on the minotaur- his outline is very weak, and makes his contrast too low.

In addition, you have WAY too many colors on all of your custom sprites. There were multiple redundant shades on the champion and minotaur. Clean up your palette!
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

These are looking good! Only crit: Minotaur's left elbow should be higher or his shoulder lower.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

They all look great. As for the Minotaur though, his legs really need to be more muscular. After all, the main attack for a minotaur (in Greek and Roman mythology at least) is charging at you with his horns. The rest of the body looks great though. :D
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

(Sorry for the late reply- I had a busy day yesterday.)
Thanks, everyone! :) It's really refreshing to get other people's views on my sprites.
Pull the legs back so they're under him.
Just for confirmation, when you say this you mean that his stance should be less spread out? Or less pushed forward on the z axis?
These are pretty good sprites! Reminds me of my own starting sprites, except these are obviously better.
Trust me, there are a whole lot of much, much worse ones that I didn't post. :P
They all look great. As for the Minotaur though, his legs really need to be more muscular. After all, the main attack for a minotaur (in Greek and Roman mythology at least) is charging at you with his horns. The rest of the body looks great though.
Yeah, looking at it now, I think you're right. I'll work on beefing them up a little bit.
These are looking good! Only crit: Minotaur's left elbow should be higher or his shoulder lower.
Right, will do.
Well, thanks for the crits, everyone! I'll try and work on the issues you guys pointed out and upload them later today.
Edit: Here they are. There are a number of crits that I knowingly didn't address. The trapezius muscle, because I couldn't seem to fit it in there without overemphasizing it, isn't there and the shoulder is the same as before. I cleaned up the Holy Champions palette a little, but there are still issues. I didn't touch the Minotaur's yet because it's a lot messier. Hopefully, though, I've been able to properly address all the other points raised. But I'm kind of torn about whether or not these are actually improvements. Feedback would be nice.
Sprite_Revamps.png
Sprite_Revamps.png (17.29 KiB) Viewed 16047 times
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

More progress. Among other things, I've started work on the sword for the Holy Champion. Hopefully it's about done now. I've also decided to completely remake the wing, as it was pretty shabby. Minor tweaks and a tiny bit of palette cleaning were also done on the Minotaur.
Sprite_Revamps.png
Sprite_Revamps.png (23.72 KiB) Viewed 16027 times
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Try cleaning up this edit or emulating it :)
Attachments
gold_guardian.PNG
gold_guardian.PNG (4.46 KiB) Viewed 16023 times
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Holy ****! :shock: You didn't even need to ask me to, because I'd PAY to be able to work off that. :wink:
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Almost done now. :D I'm going to redo the sword; didn't like the earlier version. But, besides that, he's basically done.
gold_guardian.png
gold_guardian.png (11.39 KiB) Viewed 15940 times
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

What are these for?
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

@TheScribe: I don't have any particular use for these; I mostly do my sprites for fun. Anyway, because my attention span is incredible small because I was having trouble making a sword I liked for the Holy Champion, I restarted work on a south facing frame for the Young Sylph that I started a while back. Crits appreciated. :)
Young_Sylph_Dev.png
Young_Sylph_Dev.png (5.45 KiB) Viewed 15845 times
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Phew, it's been a while, hasn't it? RL's been hectic lately, and I've been working on other projects as well. But, nonetheless, I have managed to get some work done on the HC. :)
So, a few things to note: I brushed up on the visor, as the old one was a little wonky. After getting some proper reference in the form of one of Zero's sprites, I completely redid the shield; I really disliked the old (and yes, that TC pattern is basically ripped off Zero's shield, shame on me). I still haven't gotten around to doing the sword, but I'll get done to it eventually. The wings are also going to get some touch-up as well.
Critique?
holy_champion_final.png
holy_champion_final.png (14.95 KiB) Viewed 15734 times
Gah, I've double posted so many times! :augh:
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Thread necromancy time!
Okay, so work on the HC has slowed to halt. There were a lot of things that I wasn't happy with, and it just wasn't much fun to work on it anymore. I will finish it up someday, but probably not gonna be too soon. But I guess this just goes to show how close to being finished one of my sprites is when it's "almost done". :roll:
Anyway, some things I did recently:
firegolemthingadvancement.png
firegolemthingadvancement.png (4.53 KiB) Viewed 15479 times
A magic fire golem thing and 2 level ups, one of which is still being worked on. I dunno, maybe they're the creations of some insane red mage or something.
C&C?
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

The two that are finished look great. I won't comment on the other one, as I'm not really an artist.
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Thanks. :)
Here's something else in the meantime. I'm kind of iffy about the the leg area in general; but I can't really figure out what's wrong with it. :hmm:
Attachments
darksorcererguy.png
darksorcererguy.png (2.39 KiB) Viewed 15385 times