Prinzessin Nilwyn

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anagkai

Prinzessin Nilwyn

Post by Anagkai »

"Prinzessin Nilwyn" is my first campaign. As you can see from the title it is in German(next campaign, I'm doing in english).

As it is my first campaign I would like to get feedback, so I can improve it and/or do better next time.

I'm esspecially interested in:

-Storyline (I know there's not so much story and dialogues, but it's important nevertheless)
-Playability(I think it works fine on easy, but as I'm not good at playing, I couldn't test the other ones; I adapted
the scenarios until it was playable for me on easy, but I adapted the medium and hard level, too)

(compared to the mainline campaigns, it is easy to medium difficulty)

Greetings Anagkai
My campaigns: Princess Nilwyn (available) & Home of the Undead (available)
janenho13

Re: Prinzessin Nilwyn

Post by janenho13 »

I downloaded this campaign, tried it and... deleted it as soon as possible for one SUPER BIG BUG: it is completely German! I didn't uderstand any word. There is one advice for you to future: don't create campaigns in different language than English(of course you can but if you want to publicate it, translate it into English, please).
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

You will reach more people if your campaign is in English.
Translate it, there are not so many words in your campaign, and load it up again. :)

EDIT: Maybe helpful:

Dialogue editing for non-native English speakers
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Anagkai

Post by Anagkai »

I'm not so bad at using english language, but as it was my first campaign, I wanted to concentrate on the gameplay and the wml.
That's why there are not so many words and that's why I did it in German. But as it works, I can do a translation now.

@janenho13 :
How could you not see that it's in German?
The title is German. Behind the title there's written "(German)" and the description says: "Notice:The campaigns dialogues are in German!"
Anagkai

Post by Anagkai »

Translated the campaign and uploaded the english version.
hebetude

Post by hebetude »

Just played this on Normal. I estimate most of it comparable to mainline easy (maybe slightly easier), two scenarios comparable to mainline hard.

In one of the scenario files (05_Die_Rettung.cfg?), one of the dialogue lines is missing a closing quotation mark; this made the campaign fail to load. I added the quote mark and everything worked fine, but I can't remember the line number.

Scenario 1: Very easy. Marched everything to the river and did most of the fighting around the bridge. The ambush was kind of meaningless. I ended up with no villages and very low gold. Finished on turn 15/25.

Scenario 2: Very hard. Orcs quickly take all of the villages, and huge income lets them replace their losses. On the first try, I decided to attack blue, but quickly got swarmed on all sides and slaughtered. On the second try, I realized that purple was effectively isolated; so I marched far south, killed the purple leader before blue/green could arrive, and fought a very hard battle of attrition as blue/green did arrive. I had to save-load, but the scenario looks possible without doing that (particularly if one starts with a druid, which I did not). I think the difficulty was comparable to Rise of Wesnoth on Hard. In fact the whole scenario felt like TRoW 4b, The Midlands. Maybe my tactics were bad, but I think this scenario truly is hard. Finished on 28/30.

Scenario 3: Medium. Leader explored a dead end and was unable to reach the exit in time. I noticed this and reloaded the auto-save from 10 turns prior, and was able to finish on 27/28. I feel it would be an improvement to provide a passage from the southeast area to the exit, and/or to give the leader the Quick trait.

Scenario 4: Hard, but not as hard as scenario 2. Nemina's arrival was welcome but completely unexpected. I was briefly worried that black's wolves would kill her whole force, but they didn't. I chose to save-load several times, and the replay is corrupted; unsure of end turn.

Scenario 5: Very easy. This map feels too big and empty. Earlier maps were big but not empty, and the fighting was interesting. Here, there was not much fighting, and most of it occurred near the river. The enemy keep is far away from the prisoner, and the prison guards were easy to lure out one at a time. Woses were not helpful, in part because the map is so big. Finished on 14/25.

Scenario 6: Easy. Perhaps too many loyal units are given out. The scenario was nice though. Finished on 16/25.

Scenario 7: Very easy. Then again, I had six sorceress-line units. Finished on 10/25, just as reinforcements appeared. I think the enemy should have a lot more gold. (Edit: For an "easy" campaign, there is no need.)

Story, English version: I think it would be nice to have Nemina appear at the end of scenario 1. She could announce that she's going to talk to the Woses and then follow the orcs. Then, at the start of scenario 4, Naeron could mention that her forces may be nearby, and it won't be a total surprise. Some explanation for the undead at the end would be nice as well.
Last edited by hebetude on March 27th, 2012, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Tried to give this a whirl. Won't load. Here's the error message:

ERROR DETAILS:
Quoted string not terminated at ~add-ons/Prinzessin_Nilwyn/scenarios/05_Die_Rettung.cfg:378 included from ~add-ons/Prinzessin_Nilwyn/_main.cfg:28

Post a message here when the english translation is available. I'm still going to give this a try (as soon as a loadable version is up), but I'd like to know when the trans is done regardless.

Thanks
Fae Lord
Wesnoth stole my summer . . . again.
Anagkai

Post by Anagkai »

I just did the error thing quickly and uploaded the update.
I'll do the gameplay and story issues when I got more time.
taptap

Post by taptap »

I am at a loss concerning the second scenario (on hard), I start with 47 bonus gold (which I thought isn't so bad, as I had only 20 turns in scenario 1), recall list: high xp archer, high xp fighter, rider (L2 scout), 2 druids, captain, which again isn't so bad after one scenario I thought. I tried different approaches (going south, hiding in the forest near to the keep) and different recruits (many shamans to limit received damage, fighters and archers aiming for retail damage and level up) still I fail. Not only do I fail, I have no idea how to beat that scenario. Unless I get some major insight later on, I would say this scenario is definitely too hard on the hard difficulty (of an easy campaign), and might be the same (at least for the intended difficulty level) on normal. The AI has 240/350/470 gold while the starting gold of the player goes down 220/180/140. Being out"golded" 3:1 means you have to cede map control - which further aggravates the issue as there are plenty of villages on the map and you are too short on units to cope with losses. Probably the whole thing would still be manageable if you had elf-friendly terrain, the small forest patches in an overall open and hilly map however are not enough to survive the onslaught. A really good player (say the black sword) may still win somehow, but I guess this isn't the intended difficulty. (My best guess would be to increase the start gold by 0/+10/+20 and to reduce the gold of the purple orc by 0/-10/-20.)

I would btw. drop the "ambush" in scenario 1. The only thing it achieves is to steal some villages from you.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
taptap

Post by taptap »

2nd scenario new proposal: I propose increasing starting gold from 220/180/140 to 220/200/180 and leave the rest the same. It will still be fairly difficult.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
swirly

Post by swirly »

Hello.

I've played the campaign twice, in normal and novice mode. It was more easy in normal. In novice, hadn't enough ennemies to level up my units :whistle:

Anyway, the setting seemed nice to me, and there was no flaw. But, I had to admit I found the storyline weak, and have some proposal to make to you. I'd rather post them by private mail, in order to not spoil the variations.

I shall write a first proposal soon to you.

Cheers.
Anagkai

Post by Anagkai »

Uploaded version 1.2.2
Fixed spelling misstakes and gave the scenarios english ids.
Going to fix the story and gameplay issues now.

Edit/Add
01: removed ambush
02: more gold and time, less income(enemies), replaced enemy assassins with warriors (for xtra xp), added woods(especially adjacent to enemy holds)
03: slightly more time, added passage
05: made the map more interesting
07: added a story part
lostintime

Post by lostintime »

I realise this thread is over four years old and the campaign might not be being maintained any more but I've just played the campaign and thought I'd give some feedback anyway.

I played version 1.2.2 of Princess Nilwyn on normal difficulty in Battle for Wesnoth v1.10.7. Overall I enjoyed the campaign. There are several points where I think scenarios could be improved and I've listed the most important ones below. If the campaign is being maintained I'm happy to go into more detail about these points and also the more minor issues I picked up such as spelling mistakes in the storyline.

The biggest issue is with Scenario 4, "Land of the Orcs". On my first attempt at this scenario the following happened. Nemina arrived at the start of turn 5 and set up her encampment. At the time there were three Goblin Knights and one Wolf Rider in striking range. As Nemina is side 6 the wolves were able to attack before Nemina could recruit. The wolves did below average damage but still reduced her to 1 HP. Since Nemina's arrival was unexpected my forces were too far away to intervene and she was slain on turn 6 causing me to lose the scenario.

The player should have a chance of keeping Nemina alive without having to preposition units in anticipation of her arrival. I'd suggest having Nemina arrive on turn 2 to give her time to recruit before enemy units arrive. That would have the added benefit of allowing the player to recruit wose in turn 2.

Scenario 6, "Return", doesn't have a time-of-day cycle set. If this is deliberate it would be better to have the entire scenario happen at dusk (or dawn) and perhaps have the storyline explain why the normal day-night cycle doesn't occur.

In scenarios 2 to 4 the elves appear to be journeying west to east in pursuit of the princess and her abductors so it seems odd that in scenario 6 the return journey is also west to east.

I completed the second scenario, "Orc tribes", at the first attempt but it felt harder than I'd expect for an "easy to medium" campaign. In particular, allowing the AI to recruit second level units so early in the campaign doesn't seem appropriate. I enjoyed the challenge so I'd suggest leaving the scenario as it is but changing the campaign difficulty to "intermediate".

Looking through the WML I noticed that both scenarios 2 and 4 have a filter for id=Garog in the time over event. Since Garog doesn't appear in these scenarios (he is the enemy leader in the first scenario) these events don't fire.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

orc tribes: allways > always
to much > too much