Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
szopen

Re: A New Order art

Post by szopen »

tr0ll wrote:
This one
* An image illustrating escape of Akladians across the swamps
You mean 05 "The Swamp Things"?
i must admit i have so far failed to survive the previous scenario long enough or with leveled units to make it through the swamps :(
The key is a lot of low-level units to keep the enemies busy, this is at least my tactics. 2/3 of clansman recruited for this scenario usually do not survive, but they are just meat for swords :)
"Even when the Slav is gay the effort is often evident" -- P. R. RADOSAVLJEVICH
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

yes i think thats the scenario referred to in your list. if not, i may hope to reach the correct scenario in game one day by changing my soft attitude lol. regardless, i am glad to help improve the campaign.
szopen

Post by szopen »

Custom Akladian Lord, supposed to be slightly bald (enough so Lorin can mock him), by Łukasz Zaręba:
barbarian2.png
Remarks?
szopen

Post by szopen »

tr0ll wrote:yes i think thats the scenario referred to in your list. if not, i may hope to reach the correct scenario in game one day by changing my soft attitude lol. regardless, i am glad to help improve the campaign.
Actually, I just realised that the description of the image is from the previous version of the ANO - before swamps were replaced by the deserts in order to fit to canonical geography of Wesnoth. Could that be some other image from the list?

As for Swamps, make sure you read the ADVICES.txt file within the distribution. Akladians are very weak against the magic and fire - you must shield valuable units and destroy potentially dangerous units ASAP. Clansmen are cheap and you can use them as live shields. Try to lure saurians into a ground out of a swamp. This scenario on "normal" is quite easy once you figure out proper tactics.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

sure, put the funds toward escape of Akladians across the desert if that is what they have to do at some point. i havent seen the whole story line but i do like images with lots of dramatic action feeling.

barbarian2's leg armour seems uneven but he looks suitably tough and proud.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

It looks good, I'd just second troll's note that the leg armor to our left looks quite wider than the right.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
szopen

Post by szopen »

Tr0ll, I was preparing the description of the scene for Łukasz Zaręba, and I realised, that I can't imagine the scene as a storyline. Escape through the swamps after the battle (before the "Swamp things" scenario) i could imagine easily, but I have an image there already, though low-quality, but it means it is low priority.

What about something else?

The wishlist is here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 45#p536282
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

ok
* Lorin working in Haeltin along people, preparing for the siege
szopen

Post by szopen »

Sorry for the long delay - I got a flu.

In the attachment, the first sketch by Łukasz Zaręba for the "preparation for the siege". I would want Lorin be more stretched here. Remember, this is just a sketch - meaning this is to show how the image will becompoed. Evertyhing may be changed at this moment.
obrona.jpg
Last edited by szopen on February 11th, 2013, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Agree, and it does capture the notion of working with people on mundane tasks.
Suggestions (probly not possible to fit all of these into the scene, generally would like to see more hurried clutter):
- someone working on armour or wall construction
- some recruits training in wall defense
- piles of weapons or pitch lying near the walls
- piles of supplies near the doors waiting to be moved
- opening the stockade gates might give more light and more room to show a flow of goods coming in and people going both ways
- Lorin looks pretty friendly, did she change her haughty and aggressive nature by this point in the story? Also, she is a formidable fighter by now, so she could have a bit more fitness look or muscle tone on her,

(glad to read your flu is better, or at least enough to post here! :) )
Last edited by tr0ll on February 12th, 2013, 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Nice image so far, I like the composition and pallette. The only thing I don't get is the weight of the figure with the sword on the left, it seems awkward? Other than that lookin' good :mrgreen:
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

I think the guy is carrying a post, for the palisade.
But you are right, it seems a bit like a oversized sword. :P

Maybe the pole is a bit too thin. :hmm:

But the overall impression looks very good to me.
I really like this picture / story image. :)
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

1 thing composition-wise that really bugs me is that the hammer somehow manages to be tangent with both her legs and the doorframe, which is very awkward to parse (and is just visually unappealing to me at least XD). Just changing any of the elements to break that tangent would fix the problem, and other than that, I must say I love the draft--story art is always a pleasure to see being worked on!
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
szopen

Post by szopen »

The work on the story image is getting closer to the end. Here is another stage of work by Łukasz Zaręba:
obrona3f_rescaled.jpg
Something bothers me about the forearm of the guy in the right. Comments?
alhaz

Post by alhaz »

szopen wrote:The work on the story image is getting closer to the end. Here is another stage of work by Łukasz Zaręba:
obrona3f_rescaled.jpg
Something bothers me about the forearm of the guy in the right. Comments?
The forearm have too thick wrist IMO thats why its a bit weird. And the background could be a little bit more detailed I think.
who dares wins.