Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Spirit_of_Currents

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

1. When I enter Capital City, the message says "steal a mans heart or give him the strength of a beserker." It should be "steal a man's heart or give him the strength of a berserker."
2. In a shop in Capital City, I see a "Speedamluet" when it should be "Speedamulet".
3. I guess John's higher level makes pirateships more powerful. This is bad because John's ship is much harder to make more powerful than John himself. But maybe it works if the player deactivates scaling difficulty just before entering pirates' base and activates it again after the mission is completed.
4. I suggest a new path: child. He has to start from scratch, lacking every advantage other paths have. Child's special and only advantage is weaker competitors.
5. I've started making a spoiler that hopefully will become huge!
6. A suggestion: if you get random gold from some source, values near average are more likely, and very low and high values less likely.
There are very much electrical currents in my brain.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi Spirit and welcome back,

thank you for your reports.

1. So its just the man his heart thingy I made wrong? Gosh, I´m improving, considering I don't use spell / grammar check software as I directly write in the code.
2. Oh, that is funny. Will change it.
3. Hm, as far as I know you can infinitely increase the ship, so it is just a matter of gold. You can also repair your ship without using a turn, use harpoons and many more nice consumable items that have been made for ship battle. Have you tried those?
4. As I have an RPG mode with an EASY Mode, that is exactly the definition of child. I don´t think another specific thing is necessary. But I could add it as a disadvantage where you start with level -20 or something. Even so I was thinking about a starting perk called 'dragon-child', which can turn into a fire dragon and starts with fire resistance. Disadvantage could be dragon hunters or something.
5. Feel free :). I will probably make an upgrade of Strange Legacy and fix the gold bug thing, as soon as I finished working on Trapped, which is pretty disappointing / frustrating due to an bug, based in the core of Wesnoth.
6. This should be the case, for statistic reason and by design. Usually I add some values to the gold you get, such as charisma or intelligence or skills in some cases. Can you tell me more about this suggestion?
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Spirit_of_Currents

1. When I hired thieves to sabotage competitors, I wasn't told about losing kingdom reputation and gaining outlaw reputation.
2. You can't infinitely upgrade your ship because there is a limit how much gold you can have. I once got huge negative gold due to an overflow. Moreover, if I recall correctly, each ship upgrade makes the next upgrade cost double. Have you heard the story about the man who invented chess game? I know repairkits but they're useless if six pirateships destroy your ship after it was at full HP.
3. When I talked about the new path, I thought following: his every attribute is 1, every skill is 0, he has no items and he can only carry one goods. But, to balance this disadvantage, competitors are weaker. Maybe enemies also are weaker at least in the beginning.
4. About the random gold thing: one easy way would be to use many dice: xdy+z gold. When I wrote copies for the library with my desk, I saw very much dispersion in amounts of gold I got.
5. At Drake Smith in Drake City, I chose Supreme Craft but nothing happened else than Buy Claw became highlighted. I guess I should have got a message about too low reputation.
6. In Capital City the player can buy potions that increase his attributes. I suggest you remove the number 31 limit and instead limit how many potions can be bought in each attribute. The limit would still be separate for each attribute.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

1. Added the correct numbers to the description.
2. Yeah, I know the story about chess. Maybe it should increase by 1.5 or 1.25? I just want it to be increased not to make it impossible to upgrade.
I know that I played this mission and finished it by using some kind of basic strategy. Hm, I now got rid of the level up bonus at least for the ships. However there is a trick here ...
Spoiler:
3. Yeah, I'm not convinced. I will add it to the RPG as a special, together with the werdragon / dragonchild (which is somehow inspired by the Legend of Vox Machina, I admit it).
4. But see, there is always a +z. Mostly it is luck, when singing or begging it is charisma, when trading intelligence and so on. Sometimes the level is added to the value. Poor child path. (you know that you start as a teenager, which is somehow a child already).
5. Ok, that is the reason:

Code: Select all

[message]
                                                image=
                                                speaker=portraits/drakes/flameheart.png
                                                message= "We don't sell this craft to outsiders!"
                                            [/message]
It should have been:

Code: Select all

[message]
                                                image=portraits/drakes/flameheart.png
                                                speaker=narrator
                                                message= "We don't sell this craft to outsiders!"
                                            [/message]
Fixed.

6. That´s the case. As long as your charisma e.g. or another attribute is below and equal 30 you should be able to buy a potion. The code is pretty simple. There is a variable 'charisma' which is increased by 1. I've slightly improved and simplified the code, however you will no longer be able to buy the potions when you stat is negative or 0 (they when you are a lost cause).

Thank you for your reports.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Spirit_of_Currents

1. In the storyline, in the first chapter, the outlaw said "It was written a in language no one can understand." It should have been "in a language".
2. In the storyline, in the second chaper, the healer "quickly looks around, chewing her her lower lip." There is one "her" too much.
3. When John needs to get one grain and one wine, it should be more clear that they're goods, not cooking ingredients.
4. Claim Achievements raised my intelligence but my maxmana stayed same. It raised my strength but my extra damage melee stayed same. Other attributes may be buggy too. I tested that in Frost Capital and aim to test in other places as well.
5. Currently, if your attribute is below 31 and you increase it through level-ups or claiming achievements, it reduces the amount of attribute potions you can buy in all. A bad thing if you ask me.
6. I got an idea about a new disadvantage: collector. You can't sell anything!
7. It seems you have used copy-paste somewhat: a few locations have exactly same markets.
8. Heindal, is it ok if I attach here a spoiler that contains a spoiler you've posted here? I'm using Notepad and the spoiler is (*.txt).
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

1. fixed, I also changed language into Lasagne for hunger reasons.
2. But that's 'her her,' her Pokémon. I fixed it nevertheless.
3. Changed. No joke here. Really.
4. That`s an old an well known issue I ignored so far. Adding the stat will give you just an extra point in this stat, but not a bonus. It`s the same with equipment that increases intelligence, strength etc. Otherwise I would need a fallback for strength, dexterity, constitution and many other variables. If macros would work like a function, this wouldn't be a problem. But they don't: macros will create a giant redundancy, making the initial loading speed slower and save games bigger. Imagine each time you want to increase any variable, it will check if the variable is constitution, even so it is not. I used this macro like a hundred times?

It was a lesson I learned pretty early when coding with Strange Legacy. It could be that it is different nowadays, but there are reasons why I coded it as it is. It seems odd sometimes, but with manual code you can get a way higher initial loading speed and better performance. Most project don't need that and nest a macro in a macro in a macro. But if you have like 100 scenarios and even flexible scenarios with changing maps, you can't do that any more.

5. I could get rid of the limit, but than making exp would be pointless. Because you can buy everything.
6. Not quite sure if this will be simple or not. Some codes selling codes are made manually and not made by a macro. So finding these is hard work and there would always be gaps and little exploits to sell your stuff somehow.
7. Yeah, that`s the case. Some villages sell the same goods, but their storage and their goods are individual. So buying one good from another village, will not deplete the stock of another village.
8. It´s ok, as long as you put here as a text and into spoilers tags. Using an .txt attachment is strange.
Heindal

1.16.17 Dark Encounters

Post by Heindal »

Dark Encounters.png
Dark Encounters.png (243.5 KiB) Viewed 536 times

I just uploaded the new version of Strange Legacy called Dark Encounters.
It is version 1.16.17, so the 17th Expansion of the Market Ark.

It is available for Battle for Wesnoth 1.16 and as I'm using some of the new features such as the new cool units and terrains from 1.16 it is not compatible with the old version 1.14. The focus of this update lay in bug fixes, but as creativity is a mean companion it comes with some new content that stole my precious free-time.

Fixes:

- When buying something you received an annoying message - this is fixed now
- I made many fixes for the German translation, some things however still don`t work.
- Some castles could be destroyed by a waterblast, which was not intended.
- fixed some typos in and adjusted some quest descriptions

Changes:

- Balancing: all upgrades (ship and cargo) increase their cost by the multiplicator 1.25 instead of 2. This should give back some fun to the upgrades.
- Pirateships in the Piratenest no longer receive a level up bonus.
- Wisps can now change Infinite Dungeons - however you must leave the menu.
- Bombs can now be accessed directly in the helpmenu and can be thrown on any terrain. They destroy and alter terrain (except castles) and harm units in a radius by 20 (it was 25/15 but that code was from a time of 1.9). This makes it possible to create gaps over lava or chasms, break walls effectively in random dungeons. The bombs is also available in the items menu and has the same effects.
- bombs can now be thrown when on a ship
- Improved explosion animation by the bomb.
- Overworked terrain replacements in these dungeons.
- One dungeonpart - the house with bed and furniture looked somewhat odd and has been replaced.
- Entrances in random dungeons will no longer be spawned outside of the map.
- Overworked Dwarvencity and added smithing animations.
- overworked some map parts with the new terrain provided in 1.16

New Content

- Special dungeon tiles with unique encounters will be placed in random dungeons.
-- this can be giant gryphon nests, lost dwarvish colonies, dark summonings, drake altars, lost temples, bear caves and many more
(sounds familiar? yes it is the content from Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer, which is integrated into the dungeon generation of Strange Legacy)
-- there can be up to 4 different parts of these new encounters in one dungeon
-- some even features allies, that will help you to clear the mine or be defeated by the evil within these caves
- Added: new terrain tiles from Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer.
- Some terrains have no effect as in DDD, but shrines can be activated if your knowledge about archaeology is high enough.
Artifacts (small amulets) can be taken, but will just be artifactdust.
- Random dungeons will now no longer have swamp and forest dungeons, but grottas, volcano, castles and caves.
Grottas are flooded dungeons, with a lot of water tiles. But unlike underwater dungeons they are not as extreme
- added 6 new dungeon parts for infinite dungeons
- Tavern now has 4 different maps, in case you defend a tavern in a global event or you missed as a pocketthief
- Temple now has 5 different maps, in case you defend a temple and improved the existing map.
-- the idea is in long term to upgrade the tavern and temples, where you can actually talk to priests etc., instead of just using dialogue options
- You can now use a shrine once during a temple siege. This will instantly trigger an effect if you have 100 karma and about 1000 fame.
This miracle will cost 100 karma. If you don't have enough fame or karma you will receive a small amount (20) of karma for trying.
- added a pot file for translations and changed the description accordingly
- there is now an experimental options in the settings to activate or deactivate movement animation of npcs
-- the movement of npcs is animated in free movement, but this will interrupt the players movement
-- note that this movement has just been added to Dwarvencity and the Worldmap
-- deactivated from the start, as it can be annoying - if you want you can try it out
stevea68

Post by stevea68 »

Congratulations on this Strange Legacy add-on! I've been playing it for a few weeks now and came to realize it's at a level I'd consider to be 'semi-genius' hehe ... or at least I've come to appreciate all the detail and how deceptively well play-balanced it is and continue to be surprised at the amount of game content hidden in many abstract 'corners' of it.

I subscribed to this forum because, initially, I wanted to suggest an idea for a spell or scroll that creates a figurative 'trap' that increases movement costs locally for enemy units - sort of like a 'fear aura' location and maybe add 2 movement cost to pass immediately through the hex or 1 movement for adjacent squares, but maybe Wesnoth doesn't support such game mechanics easily, so here might be a simpler alternative - create a spell or scroll (maybe with a greater and lesser version of it?) that 'summons' a friendly unit with low HPs and low attack/damage values (maybe make it high level with lots of XP, so it can't be leveled up easily) to act mostly as a temporary wall for tactical purposes. Possibly give it a 'slow' ability and multiple attacks at very low damage, in case an enemy unit decides to attack / 'pass-through the wall'.

For example, a summon creature spell that creates a level 2 unit (so it can't be leveled up easily) with 10-25 HPs and both ranged and melee attacks that are maybe 1 damage and 2 attacks with a slow and first strike ability, so that it is likely anything trying to pass through it will get slowed.

Another idea to add localized trap tactics as a greater feature in the game mechanics could be to have the trap sense skill determine how far away, or how likely a trap will be detected, and it could be leveled up ... for example, maybe a trap sense skill of 6 gives a 60% chance of detecting a trap immediately adjacent to a character and 10% less per hex distant from the character.

Maybe the same trap skill could also be used as a % chance to be able to disarm an adjacent trap also.

Anyway, yes, I know these ideas could all take time and overall kudos, Sir! :) Great add-on for the game ... I would give a hint that charming one of the wandering mushrooms in the sewers is almost too Uber, but I will refrain from giving spoilers! =D

Thanks much! Best wishes and enjoy your week.
stevea68

Post by stevea68 »

UPDATE: after a bit of thought, I realized my suggestion above was a bit too specialized and could likely be improved for detailed gameplay tactics by making such "cannon fodder" units more assymetrical, unique and specialized - for example, no need to have separate greater or lesser versions of the "trap" because friendly units are equippable, so if someone wanted a "tankier wall", they could equip it with some gear. Also, no reason to have two redundant attack types. Instead, for the slow ability, that could be a little 2 damage x 2 attacks + slow and for ranged, adding something like a 5 damage + "fear" (random teleport / flee to the attacked monster) could act like a random teleport trap. So the unit could be used in two different ways to harass advancing units.

Maybe adding 1 or 2 movement could be useful. If you made it a "tank" with heavier armor the movement could drop to 0, or you could use them in their "default" summoned form as slowly movable. Also, adding something like a resistance to arcane, impact and cold ... or any other combination that seemed appropriate could add to the possible tactics and detail. Again, slow movement, low damage and not easy to level up would seem good tradeoffs for a unit intended to act similar to a rather stationary trap or movement impediment.

... and instead of a "greater" version of the "summonable wall(ish) cannon fodder unit" maybe having something more unique like a lizardman shaman with the lower level healing aura (+4 to surrounding units) and again, low movement but maybe they move through swamps and many types of terrain with movement costs close to open terrain. Also, stealth in swamp (the Lurker ability) could be fun and add allow a hit and run ranged *weak" arcane attack even if they can't run far along with a puny melee 'attack' primarily intended as a slight annoyance to attackers.

Lots of possibilities maybe summon them in a group, so they can heal each other and add some of the "wall" units to make a slowly mobile 'army' of annoyances hehe :D

Anyway, the main intent here was to add a bit more thought to my last comment in order to allow more details and tactics possible with a small number of very specialize unit types by using them in diverse ways and taking better advantages of their strengths and weaknesses. Likely with just a few types of such units, quite a diverse array of gameplay styles could emerge.

Thank you again for this add-on. Since I've discovered the fun of charming, I've been trying out "new pets" and taking them to the sewers in the Capital city and leveling them up trying out different strategies ... almost like being able to play the game again from scratch by just grabbing a pet and hitting the sewers again! =) Fun stuff!

P.S. I have noticed some Lua errors, primarily in the random dungeons where loot drops happen. There are some that refer to duplicate or undefined names, but the #16 instead of the #17 version seems to do it less often.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi stevea68,

thank you for your comments and playing. I'm glad you enjoyed the game.

As for your proposals:

I could add a 'tank' as a summon and maybe with a fear aura, maybe a kind of protector orc with a shield (maybe I will use the word 'Schildwall' for this unit (Wall of Shields). A shaman with lurker could also be added, or something like a 'totem'. There are however already so many summons in this game, with summon undead armies, armies of snakes and the 'Hameln' spell to summon rats. Additionally there are a couple of mercs, which are hidden for example in free temples and will join your course for a price. Maybe some of those (such the Ogre) could fit as a tank.

There are already many traps and trap that improves the enemies around it, would be more like a totem.
It could be done however, maybe in a new version.

Note that there is already an ability to 'sense traps'. It will show all traps on the map, I would need to overwork that, but at the moment I see no way to split this up into levels, as it is hard to get - except you start as a 'Dwarf' in RPG Mode. In older versions your units were able to set traps, I'm not quite sure if I changed that, but it would be worth to reactivate that.

Side note: I always wanted to add something like ambushes and an ability 'sense danger' to avoid them.

As for the bugs in random dungeons, hm I must say I tested this a lot (just like 20 times, not like 100 times) and as I never got one of these lua mistakes, I did not believe that there was a problem. Maybe it something to do with the new encounters, which can be placed partially on the map (I liked the effect, because it was so random). I will see what I can do about that.

Thanks again

Heindal
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

I'm a necrophobic goblin (who doesn't seem to have any penalty against undead).

In the effects tutorial, it suddenly jumps to consumables tutorial message.

I've just finished the tutorials. I went to the well, but nothing happens.
I went to 'claim achievements' and it tells me I've won the game. Then I click 'what is this place', and it tells me to go kill the flies, but there aren't any. Also it says 'to claim your first achievement', but I already claimed a couple. Are you assuming we'll click what is this place before claim achievements?

I get tired and camp for the night. It's my very first encounter. 3 giant spiders??? And even though I have concealment and try to hide on the village, they always attack and there's no way I survive.

In CC, I talk to a Scholar / Elder Mage. He says something like 'Oh, you are a .' [Note the blank].

It snowed. I went to CC and when I got back there was no snow. Then I got a message several turns/moves later that the snow was over.

Bunch of 'image not found' in Desert City.

I still think it's really unfair that bosses can cast spells and attack on the same turn.

In a duel, when my enemy summons a random entity (and then goes ahead and attacks me as well), why is the entity not my enemy?

I tried to talk to a citizen, but ended up throwing a bomb. Menus should not change like that.

I can buy bounty hunter licenses in dwarf capital (vendor? I don't go into the capital itself) even with negative gold.

I'm also seeing lua errors when items are dropped, but in my case it's in the sewers. It's really easy to reproduce there.

I haven't selected it, but on level up there's a learn to set traps option. And it's still available for purchase at the
Spoiler:
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Welcome back white haired uncle,

Necrophobic or necrophobia=yes will give you a 'weak' status, once you see an undead creature attack. It doesn't matter if it is you are someone else. There is a far chance for a random comment, such as "Oh my god!","The living dead!","We are doomed!" However you will receive weak, which decreases your damage.

Tutorials

The well wont work until you leave the tutorial. The effects training will give you a negative effect, which have to be cured by using an item. Naturally it is good to show the player how to get rid of this effect, by telling him/her how to use a bandage. However it still says 'red wine', which was a mistake. If fixed it. I went to 'claim achievements' and it tells me I've won the game --> as you are playing an advanced mode - the storyline is over - so yeah I will make these achievements disappear, at least in the RPG Mode. The RPG Mode was intended for players who already played the game. So the descriptions can be misguiding.

Talking to an NPC

'Oh, you are a $heroclass.' Is the code for this. Probably you don't have one (as you say you are a goblin). How did you manage to get out of the character creation without a class?

Snowfall

This is intended. The snow will just effect the current level and when you enter a new one, the weather effect will be gone. As there are many weather effect, I need to make exceptions for all the world maps - nah I'll pass. Only possible solution of this is to end weather effects, once you enter a new level. However, it is just a small detail.

Duel Random Entity

Summon Random entity summons a random entity that is either neutral, allied or hostile. So it is possible. You can do the same, once you have uncovered the mystery of alchemy. It's like those staffs of 'summon monsters' in Baldurs gate, where you hope to get some easy xp.

I tried to talk to a citizen, but ended up throwing a bomb. Menus should not change like that.

I will not change that. It's too funny.

Random Encounters are random:

3 Giant Spiders are nasty, but that is bad luck and one of the drawbacks of camping. A flee scroll can be a live safer in such a situation.
RPG Mode IS rogue like. And so, we have reached the end of the story as the poor necrophobic goblin trader died under the ruthless mandibles of the vicious giant spiders!!!!!!!

Learn to set traps

It's intended that you can learn 'Set Traps' in several ways. However, finding a trainer (and there are many) will not drain a skillpoint.
Same thing for Looting or Scavenging, as I wanted the player to be independent and get the basic skills without getting into towns.

I can buy bounty hunter licenses in dwarf capital?

Hm, the code it ok, but the store gold wasn't inside of the sub trader menu. It should work without it, but I have added this to the code.
Shouldn't happen again.

Bunch of 'image not found' in Desert City.

?? I don't know where the problem is. When I visit the town, I have no problems.

I'm also seeing lua errors when items are dropped, but in my case it's in the sewers. It's really easy to reproduce there.

The drops itself are not the problem it seems. The problem is caused, when a loot is created over loot.
It seems that this is no longer possible (it used to be in older versions!?). I don't know if I can fix this.

Thanks, I will try to figure out what is happening.

Thank you and Best regards

Heindal
Last edited by Heindal on May 15th, 2022, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Here you go, these are the new units I've made for the campaign:

viewtopic.php?p=673466#p673466
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

I don't know why I don't have a class. When I created my character, I felt like it skipped one of the steps, but at the time I figured I was just remembering it wrong.

A flee scroll could be a life saver, but I just left my house after the tutorials.
Spoiler:
I took on a expedition mission from the woodcutter. After completing it, twice, and then cancelling the mission, when I go to diary it is still listed (but then the next message says I have no side missions).

Talk to children doesn't seem to do anything. I have 100 caretaking, FWIW.

In Desert fire, I was offered a side mission to deliver something to 45.15. That's off the edge of the map.

I've killed several sand vipers in encounters (that I didn't initiate), but it claims I've only killed 1/10. When I killed what I suspect was the 10th (overall), a message flashed, but it disappeared too quickly to see. I've looked through the hero menu, but I can't find any reference to the sand viper "mission".

Desert Keep small bandit mission: loaction > location

NEVER scavenging anything from rats is kind of annoying. At least a ratburger once in awhile?

Yaks! What is it good for?

hawkeye$ -5516.log | cut -f 3- -d ' ' | sort -u <
error display: ~BLIT(): image not found: 'overlay/helmets/none.png'
error display: ~BLIT(): image not found: 'overlay/shields/Miracleshieldtorch.png'
error display: ~BLIT(): image not found: 'overlay/shields/none.png'
error display: ~BLIT(): image not found: 'overlay/shields/None.png'
error display: ~BLIT(): image not found: 'overlay/shields/Paladinshield.png'
error display: ~BLIT(): image not found: 'overlay/shoes/none.png'
error display: ~BLIT(): image not found: 'overlay/shoes/None.png'
error display: ~MASK(): image not found: '..'
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

1. I don't know how. I've just checked every class. They all give a unique heroclass attribute, even random hero gives randomhero.

2. Still, it can happen that an unaware adventurer is killed by Giant Spiders by accident.
Last time I had an encounter it was a single wolf. I have taken care of the object situation.

3. Good catch, indeed the expedition was one of 30 missionstypes, that wasn't deleted properly by abort mission.

4. You get a little bit of fame as a reward, however there are no other benefits for being a good guy.

5. Desert Fire? A delivery mission? By an NPC? So it might not be the correct map. Just move to a map big enough and it will spawn.

6. This is an event. Sandvipers appear in the desert. Once beaten you will get a karma and reputation reward.

7. Loacation, is like nukular. But i fixed it.

8. Well, here is the catch. I don't know what they should drop. Cheese and gold maybe, as in Tibia?

9. Yak is delicious and a decoration.

10. Where did you find this?

hawkeye$ -5516.log | cut -f 3- -d ' ' | sort -u <
error display: ~BLIT(): image not found: 'overlay/helmets/none.png'
error display: ~BLIT(): image not found: 'overlay/shields/Miracleshieldtorch.png'
error display: ~BLIT(): image not found: 'overlay/shields/none.png'
error display: ~BLIT(): image not found: 'overlay/shields/None.png'
error display: ~BLIT(): image not found: 'overlay/shields/Paladinshield.png'
error display: ~BLIT(): image not found: 'overlay/shoes/none.png'
error display: ~BLIT(): image not found: 'overlay/shoes/None.png'
error display: ~MASK(): image not found: '..'