Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

stevea68

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Post by stevea68 »

white_haired_uncle wrote: May 18th, 2022, 4:33 am
stevea68 wrote: May 18th, 2022, 3:57 am Hi again, Heindal.

1) A user interface suggestion would be to add a delay to the text messages for random events, or maybe have the turn end. Basically, I miss most all the random even messages because when it's in auto-turn mode and I'm quickly clicking to select and move my character, the mouse click clears the message.

2) Adding a way to enter the dungeon from within the castle map would be nice.

3) I've noticed it a bit inconvenient to have to move off of a hex and then back on to it to "trigger the location event". For example, to access the option menus at the castle or a city, having a menu option to "enter or access current location" would be convenient.

4) A game mechanic for the charm to consider could be to have the % chance of a charm be affected by monster level.

Great game and I'll keep exploring.
#1: I do that constantly as well. Another option would be to add a list of the history of (important-ish) popup messages that the player could review if they want to (might also help with collecting info for troubleshooting).

BTW, sometimes when I have a long way to go, and I'm not really worried about I'll use 'n' to select my character, then click on the destination. Repeatedly. I just tested this, and hitting 'n' doesn't close an event message, so maybe that would provide a way to avoid missing them (though I still like history better).

#3: I was going to request that today and forgot. There are things I often do, like check my inventory, between visit two building. So I step off the keep for a moment, an encounter triggers, and I've forgotten what I was working on.

#4. Agree. When I can, I abuse charm like crazy. Another option might be a negative effect for failure, like spawning a second enemy of the same type.
Great suggestion on using the 'n' key to select the character for movement. I'll try that too :) Thanks. The random events occur infrequently enough that maybe adding a button to acknowledge it or hit ENTER or something would be fine too, I think, and help newer'ish' players. (I still feel a bit like a noob at Wesnoth though! hehe ... which is fine - I enjoy having that 'new game' *opens up a fresh CD game* feel ;)

For #3, it's likely one of those things that a new player might notice but then later on it becomes something where 'that's just how it is' and slowly becomes not noticed over time. So far I haven't noticed a significant problem though, but yes, for example with trying to enter the dungeon from the castle, I have to walk inside the castle, until I leave it, and then move off the castle hex (I think?) and then move back on to trigger the castle menu for achievements etc. to go back inside and enter the dungeon hehe ;) It's all cool, Sir. *bows* Great game :) and it's been close to my #1 entertainment source for weeks now, but yes, that particular 'game mechanic' is an interesting one and not highly intuitive LOL ....

It's also true that the weekend is coming up soon and maybe we could just enjoy a pitcher of whatever drink you'd prefer!! hehe 🍻 Yes, seriously, I'm enjoying the game. I updated to the 1.16.17 version and made a new character to try it out too.

On the charm spell, it's great fun, but seems a bit underpowered on lower level mobs and semi-uber on high level ones (an epic moment for me was charming a 300+ HP sea monster that SUMMONED ALLIES!! hehe =) Maybe as a minor adjustment, it seems like it should charm level 0 mobs more easily but be much harder for something like a level 5 dragon. Maybe increase the hit % to 30% but instead of automatically charming add a 'failed to charm' % of maybe 15% per level of the monster? ... or just to keep it simple and affect it minimally for now, just have a 10% per level that the monster will resist charm? Just an idea ... Oh and regarding the negative consequences, imagine if the summoned mobs by a charmed monster were still enemies!!! =) Haha :) (I can imagine "parking" my sea serpent on a level of an infinite dungeon and letting it be the 'spawner' for enemy mobs for me haha :) ... I've got admit that you've included some 'sandboxish' options to the game - After all, it's not necessarily all about beating challenges but also exploring and experimenting.

Cool, the drag and drop suggestion for images worked. So, here's screenshot of that Lua error (FYI, I'm on a Windows 10 machine ... not sure if that is relevant) and I removed and reinstalled Strange Legacy 1.16.17. This was the first loot drop, and the initial error appeared the same but it added the new message of "Malformed range 1:..." So apparently you did something that affected the random loot drops.

FYI too, so far I haven't seen any of those "gold" Lua errors, so maybe that is fixed. I'll keep playing. Have fun and best wishes, Heindal. Thanks again

P.S. I have a son that does pretty good Pixel Art (and animations too) .. just an FYI. I mentioned this game to him and he sounded interested ;)
Attachments
Strange_Legacy_Wesnoth.png
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

I was camping. My encounter chance was 57%. I laid out baits and it increased by 51% to 108%. The result was the attached.

I got a lua error the first time I played it, then I went back to the beginning of the turn several times and never got another one. The only difference I can see is that while the tiger drops loot every time, the only time I got an error he also dropped a flask. [Just saw same elsewhere, loot+item drop=error].

Betsy lost the items I gave her, and now I don't have the option to give her more.

In the Arena, the boss and sole remaining enemy called summons, which gave me the third kill I needed (without killing the boss).
Attachments
and then when I attack the next one, before the encounter, I get the bonus.  Odd.
and then when I attack the next one, before the encounter, I get the bonus. Odd.
Capture.PNG (31.03 KiB) Viewed 695 times
TSL-Encounter Camp-Auto-Save1.gz
(673.04 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

The random loot is broken, the worst thing about that is: it is the code that I used for the corpses and the looting. Looting works without problems :doh:. Maybe it was the last release of Wesnoth or it is something I've oversaw, as the looting of ingredients worked without problems.

I already repaired, improved and simplified the code, just to realize that everything inside of the random loot seems to be broken too - the event fires but you don't get any items or gold! It will take some time. Hopefully tonight.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Heindal

Strange Legacy - 1.16.18 New Friends

Post by Heindal »

1.16.18 is a small fix that changes / repairs some issues.

Codename: New Friends

- class selection in RPG Mode was interrupted, this no longer occurs
- random loot was somehow broken, I did not fully solved this
- random loot seems to trigger no longer, but I think thats ok
- sometimes random loot spawns, when enemies kill a unit - taking these always worked fine
- fixed an issue with mountain encounters
- several smaller fixes
- replaced all duplicate macros
- replaced all deprecated pieces of code
- changed the issue with super cheap bounty hunter licences, indeed a relic from previous versions

changes:

- nerfed charm, reducing it's chance to 10% and giving it a charge. So you are more vulnerable, especially to high level monsters.
- you can now longer place a trap using Consumables
- random generated loot has a now greater range of items, but is less based on luck

New content:

- you now have the option to "Enter" a location, which means "Re-entering" a place, you have left before.

- 5 new units
Schildwall.png
Schildwall.png (1.24 KiB) Viewed 663 times

>> The Schildwall is a tanky orc, which can be hired at the orcish outpost by the trainer, after finishing the game.
>> The Guardian is an advanced version of the Schildwall with regeneration, because most of the members of the 'shield wall' are half blood orc trolls.
>> I had a discussion about the new tank concept, which isn't aggressive enough for orc standards. It would fit to the dwarves, but not to the orcs. However in the story of this add-on the orc culture is influenced by an unknown entity, so this new concept might be the reason, why they changed their tactics. Considering that just half orc / half trolls are part of the Schildwall and Guardians it could also have racist reason, that these poor fellows are just allowed to carry shields, instead of real weapons. So much about the lore and the storytelling. Maybe I will add a dwarven version of this unit, with some improved mechanics (such as improving the resistance of nearby units).

lurker.png
lurker.png (6.2 KiB) Viewed 663 times

>> Lurkers can be hired in the bountyhunter guild in Swamp City
>> In a future version the Lurkers will be able to evolve to 'Predators', who are stronger and have poisoned weapons.

totem2.png
totem2.png (3.13 KiB) Viewed 663 times
>> Totem of Healing can be spawned like a trap and crafted by a powerful alchemist using mana and darkwood

totem.png
totem.png (993 Bytes) Viewed 663 times
>> Totem of Fear can be spawned like a trap and crafted by a powerful alchemist using mana and darkwood

- two new spells will allow to summon these new totems, instead of placing them. These spells is sold by the Nomads in the desert.

Not done:

- Sabotage options
- Weather effects will still wear off after entering a city
Last edited by Heindal on May 21st, 2022, 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
stevea68

Post by stevea68 »

Wow, awesome updates, Heindal! :) I admit being a 'tad drunk' at the moment, but I loved reading your post :)

Yeah, I admit wanting to find where those lizard shaman lurker 'pets' are available from and thank you for the hint! =D (I think I know where they might be now :D)

I was wanting to share some more thoughts / ideas and was typing up a list of things - no need to feel any specific way, except however you do about these ideas. (I simply enjoyed compiling some thoughts together playing a new character (mostly mage) with the updated 1.16.17 version)

--- here is what I typed up off-line while playing and I just copy and pasted it.

--------------

I've been enjoying seeing some new features in the game already. Thanks. Gonna take a while to check things out more, but I'm loving it :)

1) Loot drops seem to work better, despite still seeing that Lua error when a drop occurs, so maybe the loot drops work but somehow it's just giving an error? I was rarely getting items before but seem to be finding more things dropping now and not seeing the "!" 'item' (basically I assume it was trying to give me something that was undefined), but I still haven't tried an infinite dungeon yet with the latest update. Those were where I was seeing errors more.

2) A suggestion for player heal on zoning - currently it seems to always restore full health on zoning. Maybe it's not simple or desirable to alter that but maybe having it heal 25% of damage + another 10HPs could make it a feature less "cheesable" ;) For example, maybe save current player health each turn and for whatever routine initializes maps, have it computer something like:

(upon initializing a zone)
Set player health = last health + (max health-last health) * .25 + 10

I assume the game clamps that value to maximum. As an example, if a player left a zone with 10 health, but had a max of 50, then it would result in 10+(50-10)*.25+10 = 30 health. Zoning again, would become 30+(50-30)*.25 + 10 = 45 health.

3) Also, I noticed when I have lots of conditions active - like illuminating, regenerating, wounded etc. The line displaying these overflows and I can only see it as "illuminating, regener..." and so can't see all the statuses. I don't know if there's a way to split long strings and display them as multiple lines or not.

BTW, it's good that you highly recommended new players selecting the "beginner" challenge level to first learn how the game works :) I made that mistake the first time I played and picked 'pacifist' ... quickly realized, especially after seeing you mentioned it in the game a couple times that doing the recommended beginner level first is best :)

4) An idea to consider might be to allow pets / mercs etc. be able to be "unsummoned" (placed back in the reserve). Maybe to keep this from being misused much, it could require a unit to be at full health and not near any enemy units (maybe it costs a mana or some stamina). Just an idea for you.

5) Regarding that "access current location" menu option, you might be able to reuse the camp menu option, so when on a camp site, it shows the camp but on other locations it might show a different symbol and say "enter city" or "trade with merchants" etc.

6) Maybe add some form of slow natural mana regeneration? I know there are items and ways of gaining it back but it might be interesting to either have a slight chance of getting a point of mana while standing still (for the 2HP regen), or maybe just have a 5% chance every turn of gaining a point of mana (or alternately a turn counter that adds a point of mana periodically). I've combined those techniques in code before so that it has a turn counter that slowly goes up and increases the odds of something happening over time, and then when it occurs, it lowers or clears the counter - that makes it so that something is semi-periodic, but hard to know exactly when.

--- An interesting idea for overall rate of random events and difficulty ---

Since, I'm rambling ;D - Here's a cool idea for random events (loot / spawns / encounters / mana regen *ticks* etc.)

First, let's say you want some random event (might be very minor) to occur approximately once every 10 turns (but be semi-irregular) AND you want them have an overall "balance" and not be too many benefits, nor too difficult.

If you had a variable to count turns since the last "random thing" and compared that against a random number, for example:

turns_since_last_event+=1
if turns_since_last_event > random(20) then *make the number larger to have them be more irregular, but approximately twice the number of turns per event is a good rule of thumb*
turns_since_last_event-=10 *averages to be once every 10 turns, because of the ratio of -10 to +1, but maybe have a 'game setting' toggle that changes this for more or fewer random events maybe as low as 8 or high as 20*

*do random event*
endif

and then for the random event, you might have a "balance" value that keeps track of to what extent something tends to be beneficial or detrimental. Let's say each turn it accumulates a value from 0 to 1000 (centered at 500) and depends upon selected game difficulty, player level, luck and karma (clamped to a range of +/- 500).

*first compute a clamped karma range*
if karma>500 then clamped_karma=500
elseif karma<-500 then clamped_karma=-500
else clamped_karma=karma

*then each turn accumulate the overall balance - positive values represent more beneficial events should occur - this is just a very coarse formula that would need testing and tweaking I'm certain*

balance += luck*3 - player level -10 + clamped_karma/30

Then when you do the random events, a simple way of doing this would be to just have 3 categories of random events:

*upon random event*
random_balance=balance+random(2000) *create a random value including the current balance
If random_balance>1800 then
balance-=500
*do positive event*
elseif random_balance<200 then
balance+=500
*do negative event*
else
*do minor / neutral random event - possibly not even displayed with a message, such as +1 mana*
endif

Also, for other in game events that might have a significant influence on play balance, you could have them add or subtract from the balance, in order to help compensate. So for example, if you got your "small wallet" stolen and it had more than 5000 gold in it, then maybe it could be 'invested' in the consolation prize of 'balance += 400' ;)

(Just some ideas to play with Heindal, if you enjoy this stuff. Makes we want to learn more about programming for Wesnoth hehe :D) I DID write a program to generate semi-random map files for the game and was thinking it could be fun to create a 'small world' game with lots of semi-random events and evolutionary storyline on a single (not particularly large, but highly tactical and detailed) map. Could be fun to have lots of features to where the player could alter the landscape, so instead of accumulating gold, it could be more like your game mechanic of buying and upgrading buildings or or generating fortifications and shifting factions etc. Just some more thoughts :) I think part of why I've been enjoying Strange Legacy is because it seems to keep inspiring ideas like these. Thanks

--------------------------

I was going to suggest doing missions or fighting "enemies" (per the bounty hunter mechanic) gives some fame and reputation (depending upon the continent) but it appears you already have that to an extent.

I also summoned up my first snake yesterday and he's a toughy!! (Charisma is 21) Also, just noticed the "Summon random" scrolls! Cool! Gotta check that out too :)

Haven't even explored much of the Strange Legacy world yet ... The sewer levels currently have me addicted! *charm + equip* = a lot of fun! I'm such a noob! haha :D The evolutionary trees are great too for some pets and I've been trying to explore those more. Some mobs give an error when trying to charm and say something like there's not a class type available or something ... don't remember exactly, but that's fine. Maybe for such failures there could be some generic low level mob or maybe it acts like your summon random as the result instead - i.e. charm a dragon and get a rat pet!! =D

Oh, here's another crazy idea, if you happen to have a drunk weekend and decide to experiment with it ... what about a "Score" value? So, let's say "Score" has absolutely NO influence on gameplay and it can't be spent or bought etc. Solely, what the "Score" value is, is just for ones own pride / ego / fun / benchmarking / challenges / comparisons with other players etc. (and maybe people could even share their 'peak SCORE' value?

The basic idea for this one is, similar to that dance where people keep lowering the (bamboo?) 'bar' and you want to see 'how low you can go' :) So, it would be a bit like some metric of how awesome you have done in the game over the last 20 turns or so, and it could be fun to have a 'peak score' value that keeps track of what your last best score was, so as you were playing you might try to beat others scores, or just use it to as a challenge for yourself (yes, the idea could be considered rather vague, I understand ... just another thing to kick around, if you happen to have such an evening ;D)

Thank you again 🙏 This game definitely beats out some of the "Zeldaish" ones I was playing back in the 80s and 90s. Fun stuff and best wishes, Sir.

https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/fr ... d486729437
white_haired_uncle

Heindal:

Just played a quick game.

Vampire says it has "lifestealing". If it did, it was something I didn't see or know that I was seeing.

I still saw the mountain issue with a unit trapped by impassible tiles. The mountain group looked the same, but I thought the other terrain looked different, so maybe there's another map with the same issue? Maybe I should have saved it?

Loved the enter. Didn't like the already used (more than once) icon choice.

Traps seem to me like they belong in Consumables. You use them, you lose them, they're consumable.

I was an ugly bearded magician vampire. All the NPCs hated me, because I was a magician.

mushrooms is grassland and I can't collect. Probably same for herbs.

vampires allowed in temple of light? At least at first I was.

Did you make the competitor WORSE? Day 143 he bought the castle, bowyer, and I believe some other building.

And the caravans. They're back to their own team, so they stupidly charge the enemy, and they have about a half map head start on me.

Drops (items, not loot) seem to have been removed, which is really hard on someone who is hated by all.

Vampires are interesting. It was fun figuring out how to do things that I didn't have access to by being excluded from the cities (never did figure out how to get rid of illness, though). I quit early, as it looked like I was just going to have to keep doing the same things over and over and over for a long time to build my reputation with one of the factions, which is not my thing. Also, I was getting encounters every 2-3 moves, it was the same basic set of caravans and toads >=80% of the time, and with the caravan issue...

steva68's comments....

1) I saw ZERO item drops, but then I didn't go underground and didn't have scavenging [I think I have that right, looting produces gold, scavenging produces loot -- I think. Either way, I had neither]

2) I like the full heal. At least as long as there are going to be encounters where you are ridiculously outnumbered. I could see not curing poison though.

3) Move your mouse to the far right of the list ('...') to see the rest.

4) Mercs and summoned creatures are very different units when it comes to recall. Personally, I like it the way it is. Frustrating when I forget the difference, but I think it's right.

6) Mana can be challenging, and even down right annoying early in the game. But it's out there. For those early game situations, maybe something like having a temple option, but make it pretty expensive and/or take it away after a short time (I like taking it away, a weak magician, like one who refuses to use arms is probably going to die the first time their mana runs out, so making it too expensive could just be a tease).
Last edited by white_haired_uncle on May 21st, 2022, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevea68

Post by stevea68 »

white_haired_uncle wrote: May 20th, 2022, 11:06 pm Heindal:

Just played a quick game. I still saw the mountain issue with a unit trapped by impassible tiles. The mountain group looked the same, but I thought the other terrain looked different, so maybe there's another map with the same issue? Maybe I should have saved it?

Loved the enter. Didn't like the already used (more than once) icon choice.

Traps seem to me like they belong in Consumables. You use them, you lose them, they're consumable.

I was an ugly bearded magician vampire. All the NPCs hated me, because I was a magician.

mushrooms is grassland and I can't collect. Probably same for herbs.

vampires allowed in temple of light? At least at first I was.

Did you make the competitor WORSE? Day 143 he bought the castle, bowyer, and I believe some other building.

And the caravans. They're back to their own team, so they stupidly charge the enemy, and they have about a half map head start on me.

Drops (items, not loot) seem to have been removed, which is really hard on someone who is hated by all.

Vampires are interesting. It was fun figuring out how to do things that I didn't have access to by being excluded from the cities (never did figure out how to get rid of illness, though). I quit early, as it looked like I was just going to have to keep doing the same things over and over and over for a long time to build my reputation with one of the factions, which is not my thing. Also, I was getting encounters every 2-3 moves, it was the same basic set of caravans and toads >=80% of the time, and with the caravan issue...

steva68's comments....

1) I saw ZERO item drops, but then I didn't go underground and didn't have scavenging [I think I have that right, looting produces gold, scavenging produces loot -- I think. Either way, I had neither]

2) I like the full heal. At least as long as there are going to be encounters where you are ridiculously outnumbered. I could see not curing poison though.

3) Move your mouse to the far right of the list ('...') to see the rest.

4) Mercs and summoned creatures are very different units when it comes to recall. Personally, I like it the way it is. Frustrating when I forget the difference, but I think it's right.

6) Mana can be challenging, and even down right annoying early in the game. But it's out there. For those early game situations, maybe something like having a temple option, but make it pretty expensive and/or take it away after a short time (I like taking it away, a weak magician, like one who refuses to use arms is probably going to die the first time their mana runs out, so making it too expensive could just be a tease).
Hiya, Uncle. Thanks for the comments and regarding them. Here are a few of my experiences / thoughts:

1) I downloaded the latest update (1.16.18?) and it seems to have fixed a majority of the loot drop issues. You could be right that I was getting errors largely off scavanged drops (like leather drops from rats), though I also see many fewer errors finding undefined items for the regular treasure / loot items. Overall, there are probably 80% fewer issues with the Lua errors with this last update.

2) Yes, sometimes when I'm going to be zoning soon, I ignore wounds and poison etc. ;D Its not entirely a bad gameplay mechanic, I agree. Maybe such a health / damage carry over is something that should apply only for harder challenge levels? It's nice that the game can be played rather casually and not feel like every move needs to be 'optimized' ... I used to enjoy playing an online game, Everquest and I still remember the days spent just practicing crafts and learning to fish etc. in a rather safe area with hardly a care in the world. Grab a few gold, go buy some supplies and "chillax" next to a pond doing random things :) Yes, it would be tough to imagine a game where where you had to continually be running from everything! haha =)

3) Awwesome, thank you for the suggestion. I'll try that out :)

4) I didn't know there was a recall mechanic already, so thank you for the 'heads up' on that too. (I'm still part noob to Wesnoth)
6) I made a mistake the first time during character creation and selected a more challenging difficulty as a mage / pacifist ... yes, NOT a great combo for gaining any XP!! =) I ALSO (thankfully) noticed that Heindal had made a couple strong recommendations to play the game on beginner difficulty, to gain some idea of the game mechanics BEFORE trying more challenges :) (and yes, I agree ... USUALLY, with many Wesnoth games, harder levels means the monsters have a few more HPs an hit a bit harder, but in this case, class selection and 'nerks' can be HIGHLY influencial)

Thanks for the replies. I admit feeling a need to explore more of the Strange Destiny world before commenting too much ha! (Yes, it seems to continually have more surprises to it that I'd expected, which is cool 👍)
stevea68

Post by stevea68 »

Kudos, Heindal on the update. The Lua errors are significantly less. As "White_haired_uncle" guessed, it might have been that I was getting errors for scavanged items, like leather drops from rats.

Overall, my initial impression of this update was that it was more refined / clean / polished and professional etc. There were new events and encounters etc. If you can accept cryptocurrency tips (like Bitcoin or Etherium etc.) feel free to give me a crypto address to send to :) (I can send ~20 bucks or so as a tip, if you'd like. :)

--- again, I've been collecting a text log of comments / ideas that have been coming to mind and I'll paste them below. The Lua errors are hardly occuring now. I think like "white haired uncle" suggested, they were do to scavenging drops from rats in the sewers. I updated with your latest version (1.16.18?) and it's definitely 'cleaner' now.

----- So, if you feel like 'diving into' my comments accumulated today from Strange Legacy gameplay. here goes (mostly this is just copy and pasted from my log of experiences / thoughts while playing) ----

--------------------

1) Berserkers kick @$$! Twice I ran into a berserker and might need to look more closely at how the berserk ability works. So far, it's seemed like it means "melee = you lose!"

2) In the various city zones, when you walk on the house "villages", it assumes you've captured them (for example, in Capital City there are 366, and when I walk on them it might say 10/366 are 'mine' ... maybe that's something you could take advantage of, like for fame or reputation or have a quest to 'capture' various locations on a map? Just another idea ...

3) No biggy but during combat with rats in the Capital City, a rat ran to the Haunted Villa and it triggered the message, as if I had visited the location ... might be some places where that 'feature' could be an issue though.

4) Regarding the idea of natural mana regeneration - maybe it could be affected by intelligence? Like a (4+INT/2)% chance each turn of gaining a mana?

5) For the summon spells. at least in the Capital City, they appear to all come at an INT of 15. Maybe lower the INT requirement a bit for one of them (like to 12 or 13, even if it means, for example, the air elemental is a bit weaker) and raise it for another one (like to 17 or 18, and have a harder hitting fire or earth elemental). I haven't yet gotten any of the elemental pet spells yet, but am getting close with the new mage character. I mention it simply because of anticipation and looking forward to getting some element pets ... having an array that come in a bit earlier and some later (but even more awesomer! ;) could be fun ... (I'm just imagining trying to find or create a +1 or 2 INT ring, so I can summon up "boss" elementals! ha! =)

6) Something appears wrong when trying to buy a warhorn from the mercenaries guild in the Capital City. It says they cost 30000 gold but always gives a message that I don't have enough.

7) I don't know whether or not you should 'nerf' this but crafting greater warhorns and selling them for 100K gold each to the merchants guild is "slightly Uberish" ;) Maybe having them sell for 50K (or even less) would be a good idea? I almost don't want to mention this because it's the only semi-realistic way I know of buying the castle (5 million gold would take crafting and selling 5000000/3500 ~= 1429 Skirmisher boots otherwise haha! That's a LOT of mouse clicks!) Yes, I realize that's probably NOT how the game was intended to be played, but I guess the overall idea is to shrink the gold ratios more and make more 'pathways' of getting rich or uber etc. viable.

For example, on the warhorns, 30K seems a lot to buy a warhorn that when used will only be usable for the current zone you are in and it takes few components (but some patience) to craft. Lowering warhorns to 10K to buy and 5K to sell would seem to place them as a more realistically viable option for someone who wants to buy them, and 5K to sell isn't huge. Then similarly, for the greater warhorn maybe 25K to buy and 10K to sell would also shift them into a more 'doable' gold range? ... but then I admit wondering how the heck could I buy the castle with such a 'nerf'? ;D Still haven't explored much of the Strange Destiny world yet though ... so who knows?

The basic idea could be to lower the cost of the castle along with 'easy cash' pathways and maybe increase the sell value of more mundane things like longbows and long swords or some of the food and potions. More or less, shrink the general 'play range' of gold. An idea along those lines was to consider how much time or how many mouse clicks are involved and equate them more closely "Time ~= Money". Of course, at lower levels it would be less gold per 'general action'. So, yes, collecting grainpieces at home shouldn't be the ultimate winning strategy! haha :D, but on the flip side, earning 100K gold for selling a greater warhorn crafted from a few basic ingredients with a few mouse clicks is another extreme. Again, these are just some more thoughts and ideas you can put on a back burner ... great game overall and here are my 2 thumbs up 👍👍

I should learn to code / edit Wesnoth more and maybe I could submit 'expansions' for you to try out instead? hehe ;) Fun stuff. Thanks again. I discovered Wesnoth a lot of years ago on a Linux machine and it was only recently that I rediscovered it and with all the add-ons, it's become quite a playground to explore :)

*heads off again into the Strange Legacy landscape* :)
Attachments
Strange_Legacy_Wesnoth2.png
Strange_Legacy_Wesnoth.png
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

The drops have been reduced, but the behavior is strange. I made test cases where I tested the Randomloot itself, the Randomgeneration and the drops made by enemies. Randomloot and Randomgeneration worked fine, but when an enemy drops an item it seems to be problematic, maybe because the is event is nested 2 times, however lua mistakes have been reduced. Maybe I need to initialize the variables first, before using them. I don't know what causes the problem. However if you just reload a saved game, it can be that the loot behavior is still cached.

With the new version of Battle for Wesnoth there might be a new problem, as only changed files are uploaded again.
However I don't have the time to fix this soon.
stevea68

Post by stevea68 »

Heindal wrote: May 21st, 2022, 9:46 am The drops have been reduced, but the behavior is strange. I made test cases where I tested the Randomloot itself, the Randomgeneration and the drops made by enemies. Randomloot and Randomgeneration worked fine, but when an enemy drops an item it seems to be problematic, maybe because the is event is nested 2 times, however lua mistakes have been reduced. Maybe I need to initialize the variables first, before using them. I don't know what causes the problem. However if you just reload a saved game, it can be that the loot behavior is still cached.

With the new version of Battle for Wesnoth there might be a new problem, as only changed files are uploaded again.
However I don't have the time to fix this soon.
Overall, things seem to be much more refined / polished / smooth and professional, Heindal. Whatever you are doing seems to have helped. Like "white_haired_uncle" said, it might have been scavenged loot drops that were causing a majority of the errors I was experiencing (because of my play style). So far now, I've seen maybe an 80% reduction in the Lua errors and, maybe it is simply subjective, but the game overall feels more polished and professional.

It seemed a good idea for me to really go through something close to a full tour of Strange Legacy, so I crafted up 40 greater teleport scrolls and almost 60 teleports and am beginning to explore "the world". I've been compiling some of experiences in a text file so far ... so far, there hasn't been any major issue either :) Still enjoying the exploration without road blocks. Kudos, Sir. Great content :)

Here's what I've compiled s far (still attempting to work my way around the 'Strange Destiny world' and trying to give you my initial impressions of the experience)

-------

1) Berserkers kick @$$! Twice I ran into a berserker and might need to look more closely at how the berserk ability works. So far, it's seemed like it means "melee = you lose!"

2) In the various city zones, when you walk on the house "villages", it assumes you've captured them (for example, in Capital City there are 366, and when I walk on them it might say 10/366 are 'mine' ... maybe that's something you could take advantage of, like for fame or reputation or have a quest to 'capture' various locations on a map? Just another idea ... (maybe a "messenger" quest that wants you to go to 20 'houses' to spread some news and just check for 20/366 triggers a success?)

3) No biggy but during combat with rats in the Capital City, a rat ran to the haunted villa and it triggered the message, as if I had visited the location ... might be some places where that 'feature' could be an issue though. Along similar lines, for an encounter, my mule zoned out and it exited the encounter (not any problem of course but maybe there are some things where this might cause an issue if any mob can trigger an event). Just an FYI to consider

4) Regarding the idea of natural mana regeneration - maybe it could be affected by intelligence? Like a (5+INT)% chance each turn of gaining a mana?

5) When I deliver stones to build a road, it seems to say I need to deliver 5 but instead it only consumed 4 on delivery at that location.

6) When trying to buy warhorns for 30K, it says I don't have enough gold even with 200K+.

7) I held a "winefest" at the Old Cottage and the event appeared to work but it said I received "212 and 150" with no units listed. (I assume it was fame and gold)

8) Cool! I'm just exploring the swamp city at the moment found some interesting things :) ... oh man, I wish I had swamp walking boots right now!!!

9) I noticed all the elemental summoning spells in the Capital City come at an INT of 15 and 8 mana. It would be nice to have them range a bit - like an INT 12 with lower mana cost air pet that is a bit lower HPs and not so fast, but they go up to an INT 17 or 18 earth or fire pets that hit even harder? (I have only tried the air elemental so far) ... I was thinking it would be fun right now trying to find or craft a +1 or +2 INT ring to be able summon up a BOSS elemental! :D

10) Here's a quite interesting, strange and kind of unique idea ... imagine if you have had your own personal "zone" in Strange Legacy (accessible by a Greater Teleport?) that could have it's tiles edited and was automatically saved? The basic idea here could be to have a zone where you could place your own merchants, crafting stations, monster spawners, villages (or rest locations) etc. and when you zoned out, it would save, at least the terrain and 'decorations'/items (maybe not the mobs). So kind of like "your home" or the castle in the game but instead a more 'barebones' zone with a few details, (maybe primarily an exit teleporter and a merchant from which you can buy 'map/zone edits' from and it basically just makes a permanent alteration to one of the hexes in the area?)

11) ... and then as a random crazy expansion to #10 above, it could be cool if people could share their 'personal zones' for other players to check out (and rate? LOL) Yes, I admit that idea is one of those things where *tosses it out into the ether and has no idea what effect it may ever have* :D) As a more simple idea, similar to how you have various seasons change the mainland terrain, an idea could be to have other main zones have more than 1 representation maybe depending upon factions or quest results etc.

Ok, yes, I admit that's already a ton of comments and so let me just submit this :) Also, I think the errors for scavanged drops has been fixed and I've noticed fewer of the "gold" errors. I can post more about that later, but overall, I'm just having fun exploring and loot drops seem to be working much better.

... *wispers quietly* "In fact I crafted upon about 40 greater teleport scrolls and about 60 teleport scrolls and am going to attempt to visit all the continents and buy up every building I can find." (Got the castle and have a lot of gear with ~2.2 million gold to mess with for this "adventure")

Wishe me luck, Sir Heindal!! *dives into the great unknown*! =D (Thanks much!)

Overall, awesome mod / add-on. *two thumbs up* 👍👍 from me :)
stevea68

Post by stevea68 »

Been playing now for a while using the latest 1.16.18 update, with close to a month of experience, >2 million gold and a TON of crafted items, and play experiences under my belt and yes, let me buy you a drink 'on the house', Sir.

I got together a ton of supplies and wanted to do a "Grand Tour' of the continents of Strange Legacy, but it appears I may have not been well equipped enough! :)

It appears you fixed most all the Lua errors. I played 3 levels of infinite dungeons and maybe saw one such message, but it was not any game stopper.

Random summon scrolls ... luv the idea! I tried one and the undead summon I renamed as "Barbara", partly as a joke because I remember the random name generator in Wesnoth named of one its Orcs "Bob" ... I mean come on, how many orcs are named Bob? LOL :) (well. so far, just 1 :)

Anyway, just wanted to stop by an let you know my "Grand Tour" of Strange Legacy has appeared to stall a bit, but not due to any coding / programming etc. game errors. No, it's just been that I've been enjoying the explorations and the overall game mechanics appear to be working well.

Thanks Heindal. How about *buys a virtual drink 'on the house'* 🥂 Cheers Sir. Nice job. To be honest, I tend to think I'm someone pretty good at playing these types of games. and I've been enjoying the Wesnoth / Strange Destiny world now for close a month and feel like I've only really discovered / experienced 40% of it. Nice work, Sir.
stevea68

Post by stevea68 »

Strange Legacy has been continually impressing me at how much content there is. The desert is my latest playground to explore. Lua errors are quite rare now and none of them seemed to have caused any real problems. I'm having enough fun trying out different strategies, I'm almost wanting to make a 5th character again (maybe play it a bit most easy and casual and explore a lot of combinations of equipment and special ability combiations ... the Degenbrecher and the mage teleporting robe were the latest fun discoveries! :D)

As a few additional comments for the recent explorations:

1) Noticed that when I used the action to find a monster nest on sewer level #1, when I entered the monster nest, the "Flee" hex didn't respond. I ended up using a Greater Teleport to leave the monster nest. I assume it was because it was an encounter spawned more than 1 layer deep. If you can't save the previous dungeon / encounter map, maybe have such "Flee" hexes just act like a greater teleport to the mainland, or act like you exited to some "top level" location (like with the infinite dungeons).

2) For Elven Rise, I wanted to get the population to 3300 but can't figure out how to affect their population number. It seems to occassionally increase but on its own, or maybe it's from trading actions. If there's a way to affect it, maybe add it to the message about requiring a population of 3300+ to access the sub menu.

3) Wow, woodcutting axes sure break easily :) I've got the game on hard though and had a Luck of 2 before, but even with a Luck of 15 ... well, it works and I get lots of cool little 'drops' of misc things, and is 'doable' but on easier levels of gameplay, for a new wannabe forester, life could be made a bit easier ;) *sets off into the woods with his shiny new woodcutting axe and a lumberjacks' head full of dreams* LOL :D Maybe as a slight tweak to game mechanics, slowly increase the chance of breaking a tool as it is used? Like a "worn out" value for tools, in general? Maybe for all tool uses, have the percent chance of it breaking slowly increase, until a break, and then decrease it?

Here's a quick existential musing I had - wouldn't it be a bit funny if someone decided the game must have them pegged as a "thief class" instead of their initially intended "woodsman class" because the first 3 times they tried woodcutting, the axe broke but the first 3 lockpick attempts succeeded ... Yes, that would be a "Strange Legacy" indeed (indirect class selection via 'random initial seed' and game impression)... that was one of the interesting thoughts that happened to cross my mind and I realize it is probably a 'rabbit hole' that we will never be able to fully explore (just like the potential evolutionary trees for characters). I really like your message when zoning into the "Your Home" that basically says (paraphrasing) "Just Chillax. Read a book or craft or whatever :)" Yeah, I'm game for that. I think I mentioned it already but there was a zone in the game Everquest like that and I was playing a Ranger class and doing lots of crafting and skills, and there was a rather peaceful spot by a pond where I could try making arrows or use an oven to cook nearby or go fishing or practice navigation etc. There were many hours spent by that pond ... practicing swimming and other skills. It ended up being that Rangers were not a particularly great class selection in the game, but oh well. Lots of memories and they were still fun (yes, I have a few bitches about Everquest stashed around, but if you've never played it, it's free to play now)

I almost don't want to suggest this, but https://www.everquest.com/home might be something you'd enjoy. They have added a more "linear" and 'higher level' storyline to it that is easier to power/level up etc., but they have also left the rather 'old world' game zones intact (except few people ever go there anymore, so much of those zones are effectivley solo play ... but personally, I love crafting up my own gear and practicing spells and skills etc., so I still enjoy those zones) There was also another "free to play" game that I ended up paying for extra perks called "Lord of the Rings Online" (LOTRO) https://www.lotro.com/home

Well, if you go missing for months+ now, I will understand and how about *hands an enjoyable cocktail to Heindal* Best wishes on your adventure, should you choose to accept it :)

Overall, great work on Strange Legacy. I haven't seen much of anything that appears to be a 'show stopper' issue on my end and currently, I'm trudging through through the desert but hoping I might find a cool artifact 👍 :)

As a sidenote - it was interesting because a girl from Malaysia mentioned about having the song "99 Luftballoons" on cassette and she sent me a link about the intresting (mis)translations of it were into English, and I had recently been exploring multilingual versions of the song "We Know The Way" (from a Disney animated musical) translated into 47 different languages ... and the favorite version I found was one in German haha :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C9jfktb8rA

So what does that all intend to say? Well, maybe it is that the language doesn't matter. We know the way :)

Best Wishes, Sir :) Thank you much. Strange Legacy is an awesome creation! :)

*bows deeply*

You are awesome, Sir! (well, of course like me ... hehe ;)
white_haired_uncle

Spoiler:
With luck = 15, you have a 60% chance of failure. If you fail, 50% of the time your axe will break.

Not sure why you would want to be chopping lumber at this point in the game.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi again,

Production Places:

I've just checked the code for the Production Spots such as the Wood, where you can cut wood.

You dice with a dice with 100 sides. If the dice is higher than 75 you succeed.
If the dice is 10 and below, something bad happens.

So there is chance of 25% to succeed and 75 % to fail and another 10%, that something bad happens. So failing doesn't mean that something bad is happening. However luck increases the success chance by 1 (theoretically 1 %, but not mathematically) and lowers that chance that something bad happens. When your luck is 10, you should be immune negative effects.

There are also positive side effect if you dice 100 and higher, by finding a rare ingredient. But the add-on also reacts on your strength and so your level is ADDED to the chance, that something negative happens. If you have a level of 40 and a luck of 10, you have a round about 30% higher chance that something bad happens. However, if you have level 40 you should be a (good-looking) millionaire if not billionaire.

As you can increase the luck using potions, you shouldn't have a problem as you can increase your luck up to 30 by just using cash.
HOWEVER, if you are playing as a vampire ... you have a negative luck. This is a downside of becoming a vampire.

This doesn't explain why this happening. Maybe the MATH is broken in the game with the new version or the RNG is influencing the randomization of variables.

Edit: NAH, I just checked it. It behaved as it should. :hmm:

Growth:

Each major city of the faction has an own growth mechanic. It usually consumes food and increases population and or produces new goods. The population also increases the strength of the factions, making diplomacy with that faction way stronger and also have an effect that some additional pictures are placed on the map to show the success of the faction (drakes for example extend their territory and even build bridges). Some cities, such as capital city have several production growth mechanics and Capital City even has prosperity and security which unlocks important new buildings and even change the entire quality of buildings, number of guards etc.

There is an easy way how to "grow" a faction you like:
Spoiler:
PS: the Vaiana Version is really cool. It could be that the singer is pretty famous for some anime song tracks.
Many shows have a really good translations with a high quality and pretty cool voices.

Lord of the Rings in German is something really different from the original (way better) because the voices are perfectly selected for each character, while in the English version you have to stick with the voices of the actors (which aren't bad and doing a good job, but imagine you could give them perfect voices). If we would just put that much effort in other things.

So here a video with a bear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WNrfl_pLeQ
Note that there are several references to several bands and songs in this add-on as well.
(Not Kraftklub - there is a reference to that in my RPG Maker Game).
white_haired_uncle

wellknown orc shaman orc

mushrooms are broke for this guy too. herbs are good.

I have concealment, and I'm in a village with no one around. Yet the enemy boss casts spells on me. I can't cast on him when I can't see him.

Hmm, does the terrain type you are on influence the terrain type in an encounter? It really should.

Day 124, enemy buys castle and farm. He "only" has 2 million gold left, so it's better.

In compendium>enemies, you have level 25 listed twice.

Buying and selling licenses is weird. Normally, those would only come from my good and compassionate friend, the State. It seems to me, you shouldn't be able to buy a second of any type. Now, forgery using your desk...

A wolf ghost is not undead?

And so the boss casts death and it's game over. Screw that.