Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Post by Heindal »

It will probably be an option in the "settings" in the hero menu. I think it's ok if you are annoyed. Things will be super easy and some content will not show (such as the units which are spawned at a higher level and the bosses such as the demons and assassins). As I said, it is way easier.

btw. I'm not quite sure what will happen if you set a unit to advance 0 XP. Maybe the unit is invalid than with potential effects on the add-on.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

white_haired_uncle wrote: November 3rd, 2021, 9:14 pm I swear I've seen units that can't advance. One of the numbers in the XP is a minus sign.
This happens when the unit doesn't have an advancement path, in other words advances_to=null and it doesn't have an [advancement] like {AMLA_DEFAULT}.
The actual experience= number doesn't matter. It can be anything positive. The unit won't get any experience either on attacks or kills.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Found an example. Legend of the Invincibles , Scenario Entering the Desert, unit Fog.
grumpygump

Post by grumpygump »

Oh my [censored] god. I LOVE THE DOGHOUSE

Puppies! Woot!

And the progression tree for wolves is amazing. The blood berserker thing is kind of a mixed bag... very interesting tactical choices there. You want blood berserkers for enemies that can run away and don't have high attack, BUT if they get attacked by something with a high hit rate, that's it for them. I wish there was an option for reviving high-level blood berserker woofs.

Speaking of wolves, the doggos need love too! Their progression tree is dog -> war dog, and... that's it. :cry: You can up their stats, which is nice, but some more variation and tactical variety would be nice. Like racing dogs for chasing/skirmishing, pit bulls for front liners, shepherd dogs for skirmishing, dachsunds with a bonus against small enemies. Dogs that have different movement/defense penalties for different terrain - for ex. dobermans are super fast on flag ground, but [censored] at parkour, lol - I had one, I would know - but there are dogs that can practically walk up trees like coonhounds that would be boss-level forest adversaries, or poodles for water terrains (true story: that's how poodles got their name!) Dogs that are trained to better resist certain types of damage at the expense of others, etc.

...and pictures of different breeds. For immersion of course, not because I'm a doggo fan. Not at all.

...cats would be kinda cool too... and since we can already summon rats, why not a rattery? lol. Or an aviary for birds?

I NEED THE FLUFFIES

And mounts need love too. Just sayin'.

But even barring all that, the doghouse is already awesome. What a great addition!
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I can think about a wider dogtree. To admit, I just took the dog graphics and advancement from an era (Ukians) - the exact sources are usually in the sources.txt files I added in all picture folders and usually there is a reference in the final words. There are some nice pictures however for wolves I could use in the add-on. You can however equip units to alter their stats. Even so that's odd for wolves and or dogs.

The work for making full animated units like that is highly underestimated, at least when you want to get some quality.
That's not my battlefield as I'm annoyed by working on pictures, when it takes longer than 10 minutes.

Edit: I made two variants of the dogs without additional graphics, just different portraits. They will advance from the 'dog'.

Fluffy is a haired dog made for the frosty terrains, fast on snow and high cold resistance. Has - 1mp related to the wardog.
Grunt is a smaller breed, but better in combat and resistant to some forms of attack (because it is small and nimble). Has +2 higher damage compared with the wardog, takes just 70% physical damage, but 120% elemental damage and has -5 hp and -2mp.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Spirit_of_Currents

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

1. All right. Players can't stop gaining experience from sources other than crafting. But would it be easy to make AMLAs do nothing (not even full heal nor make the next AMLA cost more experience)?

2. I suggest a new disadvantage: you can't make custom equipment, spells nor songs, maybe not even any items.
There are very much electrical currents in my brain.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

@Spirit

I already created the option to turn out level ups. It's easily possible and took me 10 lines of code. The mayor complaint about the campaign is, that the enemies get to strong. Now you can easily turn off the scaleable difficulty. This comes with a small price however.

Summons grow stronger in the same way the enemies do and there are some skills and spells that increase their damage based on your level. I overhauled the crafting so the level will no longer effect crafting and the chance to successfully create an item has been increased. Luck will be now more important.

Interesting idea, about the disadvantage. He's all thumbs - in German we have a familiar saying: 'two left hands and all thumbs' or just two left hands.
So much about my 'educational mission'. :eng:
Heindal

Strange Legacy 1.16.16 Before the Shadow

Post by Heindal »

Just uploaded 1.16.16 Before the Shadows to Battle for Wesnoth 1.16 and 1.14.
It will probably be the last update for Battle for Wesnoth 1.14.

This project is now ten years old and even so I missed the correct birthday, I hope you will like this new anniversary version.

Fixes:

- swamp scythe part scenario now tells the correct location.
- increasing the security level capital city will unlock mercenaries, cityguard and museum.
- casual superweapon mission now works as intended
- you are now able to land in the river on winter
- glooming portal yes/no now works as intended
- smaller translation mistakes (German)
- repaired broken picture mistakes
- roadmission will now give the space for the delivered stones back
-- note that you can always use throw away all to reset any troubles caused with your space
- set bonus was broken when combining two different sets. So far it was possible to combine the set 'Mr. Caufield' with other sets.
-- This is no longer possible. Mr. Caufield now requires an additional item to be active, which makes it impossible to combine it with other sets.
- offhand items stayed as a overlay, this is no longer the case
- stats like weak, ill, drunk and curse work, but are no longer cumulative
- removed achievements for Stonesong and Armageddon

known but not verified bugs

- The scenario 'Final' is no longer part of the mainline story. It was a previous ending and did not have any information nor lore that is important.
-- It tested to unter the scenarios and checked if I lost any gold. This wasn't the case. I heard reports about it, but unfortunately couldn't verify.
- In random dungeons your wisp is not a part of the map. Eventually ok, as it is a 'random' dungeon. I will do an overhaul of the random dungeons later.
- some variables behaved odd and seem since 1.16 seem to add their value instead of overwriting it
- random heroes sometimes excel and fail in the same stat
- when gold is saved as variable in Wesnoth 1.16. you will receive a message

Changes:

- achievements now show their requirements
- 'endings' are now greet deeds which grant 500 karma each
- finding all 3 hidden endings will now grant 1000 karma
- you need more karma to trigger the karma-specific achievements
- for each achievement you will be granted karma equal to the number of already made achievements
- limits for skills are now at 1500, added a way to get infinite skillgains
- added recipes to learn crafting, increased some illogical low crafting prices
- vampires will no longer attack friends with a high vampirereputation, even so they are lightsiders
- you will no longer receive fame for killing missions
- Sandcave, water will be replaced with grey water, mushrooms by stones and green grass by dry grass.
- limited wisp upgrades to level 10
- as a default all trading options now have a 0
- ancient tomes now show up in consumables and give a hint that you can train units with it
- shortened inventory equipment option to get a better vision of the visible equipment
-- owned equipment is represented with a () behind the option

- House scenario changed. Cleaned up the tutorials, they can now be found as a collection inside the house
-- Marked the 'Well' with a label to show he has a function
-- Your cart will now be spawned outside the building (considering your upgrades)
-- You will be spawned next to your cart already outside the building

- mercenary guild in Capital City is now available from the start, but the option to hire armies requires security level 7
- dwarven mercs are now more expensive

- crafting will now show the success chance, possible skill gain and the number of items in your inventory
- crafting will now have higher chances, 80% for consumables + luck and 70% for weapons/equipment + luck.
-- this will probably increase the efficiency of crafting and the sense of increasing luck (either with equipment or levelups)

- left handed weapons now have hit and run and no longer carry over their special to the main weapon
-- there might other features later for two-wielding combat such as a free combat skill

- changes to inventory layout
-- reduced number of lines for a better flow
-- some smaller improvements

- default difficulty set to easy / beginner
- added horse image to cargo

new features

- you can now use poison to poison your melee and ranged weapons in consumables
- psalm added as new finding in books and random loot. It grants 50 karma.

- vampire options
-- vampires can developed specialized skills such as increasing their bite damage, adding slow and plague
-- vampires can gain reincarnations by level ups
-- reincarnations and bite damage increase can be bought in vampire city for kills
-- this symbolizes that you grow more powerful by killing / bad deeds

- new crafting option forecourt
-- in the forecourt you can split up products to smaller pieces (Wine to 10 redwine)
-- it will always generate 10 pieces and increase a skill
-- if this skills is high enough you even receive an additional piece (11 instead of 10)
-- all options to create ingredients are added here
-- you can now create paper sheets from wood in your forecourt

- new option throw away x goods
- new draw and withdraw x gold from bank accounts

- settings allows you to deactivate the scaling difficulty

- random hero
-- in RPG Mode you can start as a random hero, a hero without a class.
-- the hero will receive two stats he excels in and one he has disadvantage which is set to 0
-- he will start with a random spell or skill he has mastered

- added additional storypart for RPG Players
- new disadvantages for RPG Mode
- all thumbs will disallow to use furniture of any kind
- ugly beard will place an unremoveable overlay and substract 5 charisma
-- disguises and barber are blocked (shocked by the err ... uglyness of your beard)
-- because there are hardly any moustache jokes in this add-on yet

- added the advise for new players to start as 'Beginner'
- you will now receive a small movement bonus for equipping your mounts

- changed portraits and graphics for boar and bear from 1.16
- added new development path for dogs, giving more tactical options
-- Dogs can now advance to Warddog (normal fighter), Grunt (swift fighter) and Fluffy (winter)
-- Wardog can advance to Warbeast (balanced melee) and Tollwut (poison)
-- Grunt can develop to Bitter (beserk, strong attack)
-- Fluffy can develop to Bernard (tank and healing)
Dog.png
Dog.png (230.4 KiB) Viewed 655 times
Last edited by Heindal on November 23rd, 2021, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
white_haired_uncle

All dogs are loyal? Nice.
Alanta

Post by Alanta »

Is it normal that on Wesnoth 1.16 nothing happens when I choose "Claim Achievements"?
white_haired_uncle

Alanta wrote: December 27th, 2021, 6:27 pm Is it normal that on Wesnoth 1.16 nothing happens when I choose "Claim Achievements"?
It can be. You earn one or more achievements as you progress, and then claim them. If you haven't earned anything since the last time you tried to claim, nothing happens.

However, if you complete all of the tutorials, I believe you should get an achievement before you even leave your house.
Alanta

Post by Alanta »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 27th, 2021, 7:36 pm However, if you complete all of the tutorials, I believe you should get an achievement before you even leave your house.
I believe I did but I'll try again just to be sure.
white_haired_uncle

You should get a few achievements relatively quickly in the beginning, then it can take a while in between. If you want to test to see if it is working at all, type:

:debug
:gold 20000
:nodebug

Then go to a building on the main map about 15 tiles southeast of your house (The Old Cottage, I think). Buy it, and return to your home to Claim Achievements and you should get one for owning your first building.
Alanta

Post by Alanta »

white_haired_uncle wrote: December 27th, 2021, 10:37 pm You should get a few achievements relatively quickly in the beginning, then it can take a while in between. If you want to test to see if it is working at all, type:

:debug
:gold 20000
:nodebug

Then go to a building on the main map about 15 tiles southeast of your house (The Old Cottage, I think). Buy it, and return to your home to Claim Achievements and you should get one for owning your first building.
You were right, it works, thanks! Then my only complaint is the game spamming

Code: Select all

[variable] name='gold' found with multiple comparison attributes
(I think whenever gold is spent?). It doesn't seem to cause any issues though.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for playing Alanta and thanks for the hints white_haired_uncle. I already know about the: "name='gold' found with multiple comparison attributes"-problem. As everything beside of that was working fine, I published the campaign. In 1.14 the same code did not cause the above error message. So this due to changes between 1.14 and 1.16.

I now found the reason for the problem and have a fix for that. Will take some time to upgrade, as I'm currently debugging Five Fates and Trapped (where the problem occurs too). But as Five Fates has another odd problem, I'm not able to fix, it will take a little longer than expected.