Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Post by Heindal »

@Spirit

The bit of dark irony is sometimes intended. Based on Oliver Twist I wanted to add an option for darksiders to hire thieves at the Orphans Home.
But I decided against that, because darksiders and orphans home don't go well together. However the game at the moment lacks the possibility of being evil, but pretending to be good. The only way to this is a fameshifter (a wrong passport or something).

1. You can always skill Speed as a level up on 'Easy' (the intended gaming mode!) and you can buy potions.
You can also get speed by potions in a rare event (not restricted).

2. If you choose no trade than that is the reason why you don't see anything in a workshop. No trade disallows the use of carts. However you can upgrade your loading capacity with perks. Otherwise you can't do anything.

3. As cast and summons are blocked you can not access the skills this way. However some skills might still be use able as they work by right clicking on an enemy. You still can use potions and scrolls.

4. You will become weakened and do less damage.

5. Yeah, it's not a real being. You can sent them back where they came from.

6. Indeed. You should even be able to do some grunt work for npcs and random-missions. But traderguild and cityguard are deactivated.

7. Hm, nope that is not intended. But the negative income however triggers the ending of a 'campaign', which might automatically reduce your income once you enter a new map. How evil of err me.

@grumpygump

I meant this Elona. https://elona.fandom.com/wiki/Elona_Shooter
Your Elona looks cool, too. Maybe I played it, but I can't remember.

Your Workshop problem should be explained by number 2. It seems it's not a bug, but a feature. If you really chose 'No Trade' as a disadvantage and not mentioning this you owe me a coffee with three sugar.

The update notes of 1.16 appear to be good, but I haven't found anything useful in it. Except that I have to overwork a lot, especially the 'deprecated macros' part destroyed all of my campaigns (Five Fates, Trapped, Dungeons of Wesnoth etc.), which don't run anymore. Fortunately I found a way to run regex with notepad to compensate that (almost destroyed Strange Legacy with them). And there is still an issue with almost all negative status like Weak, which I can't really compensate - probably someone thought that negative values in leadership are not necessary. But I think a lot of add-on maintainers are having this issue. And probably the terrain issue like in every update.

I uploaded Strange Legacy to 1.15. Usually the version should now be available for 1.16. I will wait with the update until I made some fixes. I wanted to make a halloween update, but with all these reports of bugs, maybe bugs and questions I'm not quite sure I will be able to do that.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
grumpygump

Post by grumpygump »

That was Spirit who chose 'no trade' not me. The other guy posting here today.

I chose an adventurer (archeologist, lol) that hates snakes :)

So I'm still left with the issue of no workshops. Any suggestions on a workaround/restart settings that can fix that?

I'm playing average difficulty. Could that be causing the workshops issue?
grumpygump

Post by grumpygump »

Also, don't answer if this is too spoilery - is there a minimum fame requirement to see any options other than "Leave!" in the workshop, and if so what is it?

I haven't been testing different character setups because of the time investment of building up fame if that's the cause of the workshops not working. But if the fame requirement is something like "greater than zero" or "1 thousand" at least I have a target to shoot at with new characters so I can see if something works or not.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hm, the requirement to access the option is the variable 'transportlevel'. It will show the upgrades, depending on what kind of caravan you have.
But as RPG is a special way to play the game, I never added the transportlevel to the RPG as a default.

I've changed that. I will however add an option to the workshops that will show an option in case the transportlevel is empty.
Thank you for pointing this out. You are the first one to find this :shock:.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
grumpygump

Post by grumpygump »

lol, I thought RPG mode was the way you were SUPPOSED to play, that the other modes wouldn't give you the full experience!

Ok, so I just tried easy mode. WAY DIFFERENT but not in the way I expected - it's not a 'normal' wesnoth campaign, it still seems to have all the same RPG elements - but the character choices are different, the intro is different (and better!), you can't seem to choose a customization like being an elf or having a debuff from the start, etcetera.

Note: RPG mode asks you if you want easy, average and hard as well after starting a campaign. So when I was describing my choice before selecting 'average', that's what I meant!

So anyway, easy mode is the proper campaign it seems. This... was not clear from the initial choice screen lol. Is there a way for you to combine the two, rpg/standard campaign in a different way that makes it clearer what you're choosing? Or just make a note about the different options that's clearer in the mod description?

What else is different about RPG mode that I can't see from the outside?

So anyway, I'll try out the campaign this way. My choices weren't that different from the default easy 'treasure hunter' option it seems, when I went the adventurer route.

Glad I could help you find that bug too.
grumpygump

Post by grumpygump »

Bumbling through this now :)

I thought you might not get att/ability selections when you level up, but that's only for level 2. (1?) I seem to be getting them now.
Spirit_of_Currents

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

1. When I’m making items with my furniture, it would be nice to see how many of them I already have.

2. In shops, I can’t see weapons’ damage types.

3. If I have negative fame, I may want to use gold to increase it. But hostile units block my way to Traders District. That’s why I suggest players can buy more fame by just entering Capital City hex in Mainland.

4. I entered Capital City via the sewerage with negative fame, equipped items that increase charisma, and tried to save game. I got a message ”Virhe: Peliä ei voitu tallentaa: save_game_failed: Ei voitu kirjoittaa tiedostoon” I used Trader Connections to half my fame and tried saving again. I got the same error message. I bought my fame positive but blue units stayed hostile, and I couldn’t save game. I tried using movement potions to help return to sewers but they had no effect. I ended turn, and fortunately no one attacked me. Auto-save failed, and blue units were still hostile. I went to the sewerage, and finally I could save game. But then I came back to Capital City and auto-save failed again. At least blue units were neutral now.

5. I tried ”doc: rebuild hero”. I got more melee and ranged damage bonus, more maxmovement, and more maxmana, but less maxstamina and much less maxhitpoints. I had nothing equipped.

6. I can’t see how to obtain scales, grog, and pincers (crafting ingredients).

7. In my opinion, destroying undead shouldn’t be the only way to obtain bonedust.

8. This campaign encourages minimizing experience gain before buying all attributes but speed to 31 in the potion store in Capital City. There are three reasons:
First: If you first have a few level-ups and choose to use them to increase luck, and then buy every possible luckpotion, you have 31 luck. But if you first buy every possible luckpotion and then increase your luck through level-ups, you have more than 31 luck.
Second: you can’t use level-ups to buy perks if you have low attributes.
Third: level-ups make enemies more powerful while buying attribute potions doesn't.
There are very much electrical currents in my brain.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

1. That's easily possible.
2. Hard to add that as the weapons are just a variable and not saved in an array. Much manual work.
3. You can donate money in churches/temples outside the cities.
4. So it has something to do with capital city and the fame? That could help. I will check the code. Thx.
5. Because you receive maxstamina maxhitpoints by achievements and not just a few. That's one of the drawbacks. Rebuilding a hero doesn't check 100+ achievements and grants you all the goodies.
6. Scales are a rare drop from ants you will find in the lowest dungeons (infinite dungeons level 10+) Only the highest rank will drop them.
Grog is obviously something you can get from the pirates (if you befriended them). Pincers are a drop from Giant Crabs. For pincers and scales you will need at least level 1 in Scavenging. You can either find a trainer or get the skill when level up.
7. You can buy them.
Bonedust.png

8. Well, I massively decreased the power gain for enemies. I reduced the number of enemies a while ago (during that time the game was really rogue like).
I also reworked the power gain of enemies. As you can easily buy "lowering levels" at the bounty hunter guild (on easy/normal mode). In RPG Mode you even start as a fully skilled hero with tons of perks and a lot of gold. But RPG Mode and the other difficulties exist to give people a rogue like feeling if they want it. There is not much I can do more, except deactivating the power gain and than people would complain that is to easy. There are some techniques which make you basically immortal in combat and as this game gives all these opportunities I don't want to change that any more.

*den Rechtschreibfehler (meinen) habe ich schon korrigiert.
Spirit_of_Currents

1. I suggest a player can buy an item, or spell, or skill he or she can’t use due to a too low attribute. Perhaps the game should show a warning and ask if you really want to buy it. You already can make items you can’t use.

2. I noticed I have 4/10 experience! It’s likely due to the ”doc: rebuild hero”.

3. It’s irritating that, in Royal Hunter Society (or Black Market), I can’t see all ingredients simultaneously.

4. I tried to load a save but got an error message:

Seuraavassa lisäosassa oli virhe, eikä sitä voitu ladata:
C:\Users\OMISTAJA\OneDrive\Tiedostot\My Games\Wesnoth1.14/data/add-ons/Trader/_main.cfg

Please report this to the author or maintainer of this add-on.

Details:

Sulkemistagi puuttuu tagille [set_variable]
odotettu sijainnista ~add-ons/Trader/utils/crafting.cfg:8469
included from ~add-ons/Trader/_main.cfg:340
included from ~add-ons/Trader/utils/crafting.cfg:794
included from ~add-ons/Trader/scenarios/House.cfg:642
included from ~add-ons/Trader/_main.cfg:341
avattu sijainnissa ~add-ons/Trader/utils/crafting.cfg:8470
included from ~add-ons/Trader/utils/crafting.cfg:794
included from ~add-ons/Trader/scenarios/House.cfg:642
included from ~add-ons/Trader/_main.cfg:341

After that error message, I was told I lost the game. Then I noticed Strange Legacy had disappeared from the campaign list! Add-ons Manager however said it was still installed. I uninstalled SL and tried to install it again but Wesnoth disappeared. I opened Wesnoth again, and this time it worked. By the way, I remember I, at some point, was unable to save game at home.

5. If I remember correctly, making (random) flasks requires higher cookingskill than the craftingbook says.

6. I have a suggestion that maybe would make SL much more fun: You can activate and deactivate an ability that prevents you from gaining any experience. You lose a small amount of gold for every experience point you refuse to gain this way.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

1. You can also sell them. A smith might produce a twohander, he might be able to carry - but not using it in a battle. It makes sense.
2. You have 4/10 experience, so you have 4 experience and need 10 for the next level up?
3. They just sell and buy 3 different random ingredients.
4. Unfortunately the new game version was ready, but now because of some stupid mis-click it upgraded Wesnoth to 1.16. It could be that this version no longer provides SL as it currently is. I have to check - but for now this is holding me back. You could try playing the game in version 1.14., which should be possible.
5. Could be, I changed the skill cost, but not in the crafting book.
6. You already have an option to deactivate exp for crafting. It still an enormous task, as you can get exp in different ways.
Spirit_of_Currents

My answers:

2. Yes, indeed.

4. I’ve never used version 1.16.

6. I believe it’s easy to stop experience gain from every source one fell swoop.

One new thing:

You said I can donate money in temples outside cities but temple keepers said ”You shall not pass, spawn of evil!” I didn’t even try Orphans Home because it’s terribly slow. Then I entered Capital City via a greaterteleportscroll, equipped some charisma items, and managed to save game. So it seems to matter how you enter Capital City with negative fame.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

2. It could be that the exp is resetted. It's an emergency only function.

4. It was more or less an info that you NOW MUST upgrade to 1.16, because my version was upgraded and I no longer have access to 1.14. I could probably get the old version of 1.14, but I'm not sure. The good news is. The campaign so far looks fine in 1.16 and I could fix already most of the mentioned bugs. Still have to test some.

6. Nah, you never looked into the code. You could for example give the hero a hidden attribute called unlearn-able which hinders him to get any exp. Right? Right? NO! You could hinder him maybe to get exp from combat and killing, but you would still get exp for casting spells, making missions (note each mission is a unique object or 'thing' which gives the player different kind of exp for solving it, there is a single point in the code), haggling (all 6 versions of haggling yippie!), producing goods, trading, achievements etc. Giving exp with the later options is done directly in the unit. I'm not quite sure if it is even possible to make a unit unwriteable. Alone the research about that could take some hours of time (assuming I'm not asking directly if I find the right person and annoy it with my question, which i usually try to avoid) with the potential result - it isn't possible.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

I swear I've seen units that can't advance. One of the numbers in the XP is a minus sign.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

You shouldn't swear! Think about the kids! But lame jokes aside. Cool. Could you be a little bit more specific about the type of the unit? Maybe it doesn't have the 'super cool'* SL-Amla.

The other idea you previously had and which isn't there any more could work. Thanks. I was thinking about increasing the maximum exp too, but did not think about setting the exp to 0 with the movement macro. However there are different movement macros because I wanted to avoid redundancy. *sigh*. So it could be possible. But maybe it would be easier not increase the 'level' variable when leveling up. That's the easier way to do that.

The 'level' variable is what increases the difficulty. For each character level an additional hit-point is added to the hp of the enemies. When the level reaches 20 they will even receive a bonus on damage, movement, resistance and defense. :eng:

*parody
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

I can't remember where I saw it, other than it was UMC. I do remember the XP showed up as -/-. Of course, that probably breaks other stuff like healing/curing when you level.

EDIT: I wonder, when you define a unit, what happens if you set the required XP to advance to 0 (or maybe null)?

Personally, I like it the way it is now. If your enemies didn't get more powerful as you do it would just be too easy. Unless perhaps there were more powerful enemies in deeper levels of the dungeon, or in certain missions or something.