Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

white_haired_uncle

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Heindal wrote: June 1st, 2022, 9:53 pm
I didn't see it available in CC, but I did find it in EC. However, it doesn't work as advertised. As you can see from the saved game, when it's for sale it claims to affect your ranged weapons (yeah!), but when you actually use it, it says and applies to melee weapons.
And this was done for balancing reasons because you misused it in combination with charm. Did not change the Spell store description.
That's one way to do it, but it's pretty harsh. Maybe make charm negate hitchance/marksman/etc? I actually want to use my freezer most of the time, but at the ridiculous 0% chance to hit in most cases...

CC craftsman: Sell your heavy armor for 3750. When I sell it says I got 7500.

CC thieves: Sell your leather armor says 250, claims to give 500.

CC temple and refugees: Donate 1000 says I donated 100.

pickpocketing: "You diced -19". Does this mean my base roll, before any adjustments, was -19? It should be >= number of dice.

I can buy potions to increase stats up to 31, though it says 30 is the limit.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for finding these bugs.
That's one way to do it, but it's pretty harsh. Maybe make charm negate hitchance/marksman/etc? I actually want to use my freezer most of the time, but at the ridiculous 0% chance to hit in most cases...
Its again another exception for ONE attack and or ONE specific combination. There are so many options such as crafting your own weapons and even select the special hitchance / marksman. There are many weapons with Marksman and Magical(70%!). So I don't think one needs this buff for ranged.
CC craftsman: Sell your heavy armor for 3750. When I sell it says I got 7500.
CC thieves: Sell your leather armor says 250, claims to give 500.
Indeed. There was deprecated code here. I've changed it to $({PRICE}/2).
CC temple and refugees: Donate 1000 says I donated 100.
Fixed, indeed a deprecated piece of code.
pickpocketing: "You diced -19". Does this mean my base roll, before any adjustments, was -19? It should be >= number of dice.
This can happen. Its not a dice with a hundred sides, but with 121 sides.
So the results of the dice are between: -20 - +100.

Your skill in pickpocket and luck are added to your throw, level is subtracted.
Your dice must be higher than 100. So the chances are against your favor.

I think I did that so that a pickpocket skill on 100 doesn't automatically is successful.
There should be a small chance for a good thief to be caught.
I can buy potions to increase stats up to 31, though it says 30 is the limit.
Yeah. I accepted this bug so far. I've changed it now.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
white_haired_uncle

Heindal wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 4:09 pm
Its again another exception for ONE attack and or ONE specific combination. There are so many options such as crafting your own weapons and even select the special hitchance / marksman. There are many weapons with Marksman and Magical(70%!). So I don't think one needs this buff for ranged.
There's a special attack in LotI, where first you "roll" to see if you hit and do damage, and then if you do hit there's a roll to see if the attack's special effect is successful. I don't know if this approach is any less of a one-off, but it's worth mentioning.

I didn't think about crafting a special weapon. In the past, I've found that by the time I could reasonably afford/wield such a thing I've already got an arsenal of powerful weapons, so I just never go into the custom stuff. Unfortunately, I can only have one special ability, so I can't combine hitchance and splashslow like I was hoping with rangerfocus, but I suppose it's not a big deal having a "dungeon-only" ranged weapon.

Speaking of rangerfocus, I REALLY don't like false advertising (sold as ranged, works on melee).

My 1xx gold eventually disappeared from the vault. I looked at the code, and couldn't see why. I did notice you use a variable for interest, but then hard code some parts as 1%, which looks to me like asking trouble in the future.

If there's a way to display current defenses, I can't find it. I wish I could.

Being able to use several teleport scrolls in one turn is convenient, but it doesn't feel consistent with the rest of the game.

I've always felt like if you own the RR, you should be able to stock it. For example, you could deliver a few items like mushroomsoup or redwine. Then, whenever the RR generates income, it gets a small income bonus and decrements one or more items from the stock. No big deal, it's just stocking the RR feels like something I should be doing. Might be useful for pacifists in the early game if nothing else.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

There's a special attack in LotI, where first you "roll" to see if you hit and do damage, and then if you do hit there's a roll to see if the attack's special effect is successful. I don't know if this approach is any less of a one-off, but it's worth mentioning.
I will just take a different approach. Specials are given at the moment the attack are activated. If charm is a select-able range weapon, I can check if it is charm and forbid this one special. But I hate special cases, many of the problems you've recently posted are special solutions.

I coded it and added a new spell "Focus", which applies the hitchance to melee.
I didn't think about crafting a special weapon. In the past, I've found that by the time I could reasonably afford/wield such a thing I've already got an arsenal of powerful weapons, so I just never go into the custom stuff. Unfortunately, I can only have one special ability, so I can't combine hitchance and splashslow like I was hoping with rangerfocus, but I suppose it's not a big deal having a "dungeon-only" ranged weapon.
Good to know.
Speaking of rangerfocus, I REALLY don't like false advertising (sold as ranged, works on melee).
Maybe I can do something about that, I will see.
My 1xx gold eventually disappeared from the vault. I looked at the code, and couldn't see why. I did notice you use a variable for interest, but then hard code some parts as 1%, which looks to me like asking trouble in the future.
The code is:

Code: Select all

[set_variable]
                name=treasurevaultgold
                multiply=1.01
            [/set_variable]
The new code to prevent problems is:

Code: Select all

[set_variable]
                name=treasurevaultgold
                multiply=1.01
                round=ceil
            [/set_variable]
If you use 32 bit variables, 2,147,483,647 is the highest number possible. I wasn't sure if that was the case here and checked with 3 billion and it was no problem and even gave interest. However if the 1% should somehow produce post decimal positions it could be that is somehow exceeds the limit.

Furthermore I've checked every location where the variable "treasurevaultgold" is used in the project. I couldn't find anything that is manipulating this variable. Maybe I have to recheck.
If there's a way to display current defenses, I can't find it. I wish I could.
In the compendium? "Equipment". I know added it to the Inventory as well. It will be shown under: "Show Resistances, Defense and Buffs"
Being able to use several teleport scrolls in one turn is convenient, but it doesn't feel consistent with the rest of the game.
Well, it is a trick. I did that for testing reason, but found it a cool feature for players to find out.
The idea is, that a teleport scroll is also manipulating the time. (like Kurt Wagner - Nightcrawler, the coolest German ever)
I've always felt like if you own the RR, you should be able to stock it. For example, you could deliver a few items like mushroomsoup or redwine. Then, whenever the RR generates income, it gets a small income bonus and decrements one or more items from the stock. No big deal, it's just stocking the RR feels like something I should be doing. Might be useful for pacifists in the early game if nothing else.
Hm, maybe a kitchen that produces consumable items + the ability of cooking in your tavern. Can be done.
And another exception.
Last edited by Heindal on June 12th, 2022, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
white_haired_uncle

Heindal wrote: June 4th, 2022, 6:59 am
If you use 32 bit variables, 2,147,483,647 is the highest number possible. I wasn't sure if that was the case here and checked with 3 billion and it was no problem and even gave interest. However if the 1% should somehow produce post decimal positions it could be that is somehow exceeds the limit.
2,147,483,647 is the highest 32 bit signed integer. If 3 billion was no problem, it's either >32 bit, unsigned, or using FP. If you're seeing decimal places, it's FP.

In theory, at some point with really big numbers, multiplying by 1.01 should be the same as multiplying by 1 (the gap between expressible numbers being more than 0.01*the original value). But that should just cause interest to stop accruing, not go to 0, and makes zero sense for numbers around 100.

Sounds to me like a bug in multiply, but anyway I'm glad you found a workaround.
Last edited by white_haired_uncle on June 7th, 2022, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sire

Post by Sire »

Well, after buying the Castle with the money from my Diamond Mine, as well as using the Artifact Exploit, I'm starting to think about scrapping the run and making a new John on Challenging difficulty instead. It doesn't feel right to be fighting Dark Cultists in random encounters at the stage of the game I'm at, even though I can handle them.
-- Story-Wise I was at the Orcish Superweapon in Chapter 3. // A part of me wanted to finish the story before embarking on a new run, but I don't know how far the story goes. Also, I wonder how battle encounters work if I try to be more of a trader initially instead of powerleveling through combat.

Bug Report
-- Killing an enemy with Splash does not count towards Huge Bandit Camp objectives. I went back a turn to kill the enemy directly so it didn't die from splash.
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
white_haired_uncle

Sire wrote: June 7th, 2022, 2:48 am
-- Story-Wise I was at the Orcish Superweapon in Chapter 3. // A part of me wanted to finish the story before embarking on a new run, but I don't know how far the story goes. Also, I wonder how battle encounters work if I try to be more of a trader initially instead of powerleveling through combat.
The Orcish Superweapon is more or less the halfway point, depending on how you look at it.

The higher your level, the stronger your enemies. My guess is that encounters would be much easier if you first focus on trade, building up a lot of consumables, etc. There's even an option in settings to disable gaining XP from crafting (and more?) for players who do NOT want to level up. YMMV.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for the bug, I think I knew this one quite a bit of time. It is caused by deprecated code, which still works. However this code doesn't fire event, just reduces the enemies hitpoints, which when they reach 0 or a negative value are than killed by the game, which somehow doesn't count as killed.

Splash is just one case, but there are more weapons specials with that problem. Some of them have already been resolved.

Considering the cult: they can appear when you have a lot of fame. This will cause these dark priests to action and to aggressively attack you.
You can spent fame for items in Capital City, when you visit the Lieutenant in the north west castle or hiring mercs in the thieves guild (probably getting them out of jail or something).

The other option is that your level is pretty high. As white_haired_uncle said: the difficulty of this add-on is scaling with each level up. This influences the states such as hitpoints, damage, defense, resistance, movement, but also the quality of your enemies. You can review this in your Heromenu by selecting 'Compendium'.

With a high level you can encounter dark bosses, too. However you can sink your level in the bounty hunters guild
Spoiler:
or / and deactivate the "level gain". This doesn't mean you getting less experience or can't level up, the level which is the attribute I use for scaling will just not rise. So actually - you can deactivate the scaling difficulty. It has some side effects however, as some skills make "level" damage and have scaling damage, too. Your summons will also receive bonus attributes, based on your level.

Considering the story: I think you should end the story first. I think the story is getting better and you later on even have immortal companions. One problem: in the higher difficulty you can no longer sink your level in the bounty hunter guild. With the castle this should be easy - peasy for you.
Heindal

Strange Legacy - 1.16.19 Quality of Life

Post by Heindal »

New version of this add-on has been published.

Codename: Quality of Life
Add-on Version: 1.16.19
Wesnoth Version: 1.16.3

Spoiler.png
Fixes:

- repaired terrain pumpkins
- banditcamps and missions which have been placed in unreachable water tiles, can no longer be entered by ship
- treasure vault gold is now rounded to prevent a loss of the gold, when you receive an interest (investments are risky ;))
- Frost Capital will now longer have negative weapons.
- Dwarvish Capital will now produce weapons and use the resources for that.
- changed prices that allowed to exploit and earn infinite gold
- fixed issues that collect mushrooms wasn't shown.
- the storm event was broken. It is back. I also added a third variant.
- worker names did not show correctly
- fixed road missions, when having a higher buildingskill than 1
- there were some comments about "raids", this was indeed a bug
-- usually raids are resolved by "fighting" - using negotiation ended the current attack, but the raid was still active
-- this happened with ALL raids, so e.g. a cultists raid appeared even so this was a normal encounter and you even made peace with them
-- now all raids are ended properly, but it could be that I oversaw one or two events
- repaired some broken icons (archaeology) and fixed some portraits
- museum will now drain the artifacts when donating
- museum will now drain the gold for the entrance
- splash uses a modern code now and should trigger all events
- expedition Mission did not end properly, I also adjusted the gold reward and added some details such as fame rewards
- repaired the quest for lockpicking boxes (again!?!?)
- increase length of all print to show longer, I think they changed second to milliseconds :hmm:
-- however prints will now stay slightly longer to be readable
- deleted many of the beta options
- missions to defeat an infestation (Sandvipers, Spiders, Wolves etc.) showed wrong numbers and now have an improved working

not fixed:

- check poison loot / cooking (couldn't find a bug, all poison is shown)
- random loot by defeated enemies (couldn't find a fix)

Balancing:

- adjusted the award for singing quest (increased karma gain)
- increased the number of turns before the competitors perform an action (from 100 to 150)
- singing, pickpocketing and lockbreaking in the tavern drains 10 stamina
- "ranger focus" will now give hit chance to your ranged weapons but will not enhance "charm"
(I'm already seeing the complaints about that in one or two years.)
- focus is a new spell which will allow to buff a melee weapon with hitchance
(dwarves and nomads have mastered this spell)
- infinite quest increase by 1.5 instead of 2
- added advice to fame raids, that and how you can lower or increase your fame
- events that drain gold will not fire when you, all of these events have been limited to 1000 Gold
a) don't have enough gold to pay
b) your luck is higher than 15

New content:

- new units
-- predators is simple upgrade of the lurker with poison attack
-- lurkers can evolve to predators
-- broodmother is a new boss, which can be defeated early on in the game, to prevent a global event
- the broodmother is a smaller version of the swampmonster
-- the wench is the well known wench from the tavern - but it so far had no unit - it now has

- added 5 new terrains (slimy eggs, slimy egg pool, webs, 2 counters)
-- slimy and webs are all considered as mud pits, considering defense and movement - so they slow you down
-- on the other hand you can hide in them, if you have the necessary skills
-- improved crater map with this new terrain, webs are place in a spider plague event.

- swampmonster is now way bigger and has a real boss skin - don't be scared please
- you can upgrade your tavern by building a kitchen, it increases your income and you can buy random food for 100 gold

- created new small icons for help menu options
- cleaned up all help menu options and gave them new icons.

The menu items are:
Spoiler:
- you can now steal gold from your competitors, while robbing a bank.
-- This will set their funds to 0 and cripple the actions of your competitors.
-- You will only receive 10,000 - 350,000 gold, like on a normal bankrobber run (otherwise it would be too powerful).
-- Note that this attack harms the prosperity and security of capital city.

- you can now raid buildings of the competitors, delaying the next turn of your competitors
- the new event spider lair, will allow you to either defeat a menace or even cause a global event

- a new concept for random events - there now are more events with different effects and I've shortened the code and made it more adaptable to add more events in the future. It is based on an array (as it should be from the beginning :p, but at the moment I coded that I did not know how to handle this, I might overhaul gossiping and ship events).

- event diary: this sounds like nothing, but like the event concept, this took quite some time. You can now review the latest events in the diary. So, if you are missing an event, which can happen if you click to fast, you will be informed what happened. Aside from random events, this log will just contain when you reach a capital city or ENTER a capital city (not every village!). Some raids, are not written into the logs, as well. I don't know if the message has a limit, so far it "seemed" unlimited. There might be some catches here.

- you can now ENTER taverns and temples
-- it will open a map with a random temple or tavern and you can still browse and have all options available.
-- this is more of a "charming" feature for explorers
-- there is one catch for the taverns
-- also tavern gossip inside of the tavern will spawn no caves or random dungeons, but will spawn a random mission instead
-- in case you are looking for random mission, the chance is highly increased here
-- in case of failing to steal, you are very exposed, all friendly units become hostile AND the guards will spawn
-- its more dangerous to do stealing inside the tavern
-- there might be some cheesy thing in here, I have overseen

New credits:

- I added statues of Sire Bruce Byfield Crizostomo SeaMaid96 stevea68 Saurrian to the super secret statue location
- all of them are now shown in the credits.
- For her cool artwork 'Saurrain' is rewarded with a hidden special unit somewhere.
-- I'm not quite sure if I can use this pictures, but maybe I will add them as stained glass
-- https://www.deviantart.com/saurrian/art ... -832197120
-- just in case, if you want a specific type for the statue, just message me
Last edited by Heindal on June 16th, 2022, 4:06 pm, edited 7 times in total.
white_haired_uncle

I'm a pacifist elf magician. Where's my desk? There's no desk icon, and neither stairway does anything. I bought a bookshelf and now the desk/stairs work, so either it's not available until you leave the house once, or you need to buy new furniture first.

And my other 50 writing (says I get 100, I only get 50)?

Like the new icons in the right click menu.

I don't think iron is working correctly at outlaws. I delivered 2 (making 12), got a population gain of 32, and stock is still 12.

What do floating boots do? Supposedly, I get the floating ability, but it doesn't show up under abilities, and I can't move on deep water.

Nice perf improvement when exiting Inventory.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I'm a pacifist elf magician. Where's my desk? There's no desk icon, and neither stairway does anything. I bought a bookshelf and now the desk/stairs work, so either it's not available until you leave the house once, or you need to buy new furniture first.
Yeah, you have to leave the house. First level is introduction and tutorial.
And my other 50 writing (says I get 100, I only get 50)?
Ah, I see. It was indeed 50. I fixed it.
I don't think iron is working correctly at outlaws. I delivered 2 (making 12), got a population gain of 32, and stock is still 12.
Will check.
What do floating boots do? Supposedly, I get the floating ability, but it doesn't show up under abilities, and I can't move on deep water.
I wanted them to make you flying, but never did that. Floating is a reference to an old RPG "Castle of Winds", where floating made you immune to traps.
This is what it does or should do. I'm not quite sure if it still does. And yes - Floating is an invisible ability.
Nice perf improvement when exiting Inventory.
I haven't done anything on the exit, but on the display such as showing the defense. It can be that when you had many items in your previous game and that the number of items are influencing this somehow.
white_haired_uncle

When certain items are blocked, you get weird messages. For example, I'm a pacifist, and when I get a random camping option, one of my choices is to "take your blocked and hunt". See also whirlwind spell.

The whole Forecourt menu is kinda goofy. I'm not seeing any difference between 'products on your cart' and 'materials'. Quit Storage > Quit Forecourt? Also, I'm not a fan of the 'if your skill (which?) is high enough, you WILL produce extra' (should be a chance, IMO, if you KNOW you'll always produce +1 there's no reason to choose the 'create 15 for 10' option). It'd also be nice to have a furniture icon.

When in 'hide recipes that are not craftable', your desk will still show the 'make copies' options even when you are out of ink.

In the CC Jewlery, replace all '.,' with ',' or '.' and capitalize RequiresATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.

Crafting special armor: Armorer->Add Armorspecial, Select Weaponspecial???

Compendium>Perks "Bareskin: / barskin"

In the attached, why is the white mage not healing my hero?
Attachments
TSL-Haunted Villa-Auto-Save12.gz
(630.05 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

When certain items are blocked, you get weird messages. For example, I'm a pacifist, and when I get a random camping option, one of my choices is to "take your blocked and hunt".
Yeah, it should show your weapon or your ranged weapon. I can't easily change that without losing some charm for ALL other players, who did not took pacifist. Something maybe 0.1% of the players do.
The whole Forecourt menu is kinda goofy. I'm not seeing any difference between 'products on your cart' and 'materials'. Quit Storage > Quit Forecourt? Also, I'm not a fan of the 'if your skill (which?) is high enough, you WILL produce extra' (should be a chance, IMO, if you KNOW you'll always produce +1 there's no reason to choose the 'create 15 for 10' option). It'd also be nice to have a furniture icon. It doesn't matter if you have produce 10 or 15 if the chance is equally high to produce
Yeah, it used to be called Storage. But I changed that to Forecourt. What furniture icon are talking about?
Do you want to access the other furniture? And there is the sense in producing 10 or 15 - you save time.

If you are a grinder you will obviously just produce one and go with the bonus. Its intended that way.
Sloppy and many, or greedy and slow. Indeed some of the ingredients you produce were missing, I added them and state clearly with a Product and Ingredient what kind of item it is.
When in 'hide recipes that are not craftable', your desk will still show the 'make copies' options even when you are out of ink.
Because it is not a product. It's an option and will check the option while you do it. The other options are automated with macros.
In the CC Jewlery, replace all '.,' with ',' or '.' and capitalize RequiresATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.

The ., are caused by the descriptions which end with an . I fixed that.
I can't follow you with "force_s3tc_enable". I don't use that.
Crafting special armor: Armorer->Add Armorspecial, Select Weaponspecial???
Fixed
Wrong. It is not barskin as the skin like roots, but bare skin like the armor (you undress and fight with no armor :shock:). Unfortunately due to restricts of the code, I can not use spaces inside of variables.
In the attached, why is the white mage not healing my hero?
If the unit is an npc and hasn't an own round it can not heal you. Healing is done, when the unit starts its turn.
Sire

Post by Sire »

I haven't updated to the latest version yet, so these bugs may have already been fixed.
-- Currently just trying to get through the story as fast as possible, then I may just make a character in Hero Mode instead of playing as John again.

1. Loner Ability Bug
-- When out of mana, the Loner ability does not wear off despite text saying it does.
-- It also returns a Lua error when this occurs.

2. Wisp Upgrades
-- Able to upgrade and go into negative gold.
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
white_haired_uncle

Heindal wrote: June 14th, 2022, 9:20 pm
Something maybe 0.1% of the players do.

Yeah, it used to be called Storage. But I changed that to Forecourt. What furniture icon are talking about?

I can't follow you with "force_s3tc_enable". I don't use that.
Wrong. It is not barskin as the skin like roots, but bare skin like the armor (you undress and fight with no armor :shock:). Unfortunately due to restricts of the code, I can not use spaces inside of variables.
Yeah, I quickly got the idea that pacifist is really only for experienced players, and that experienced players would probably get bored with it pretty quick. Initially, I thought I'd keep my hero's level as low as possible, at least at first, so my mercs would be fighting peons while they levelled. But then I read two books that had Experience and levelled up about 8 times. I would have quit by now, but I found a certain group of mercs/convinced with AMLAs, so I'm going to have to explore them for a bit.

If you have a desk, there's an image of a desk in your house. If you don't have a dimensionrift there's just the word dimensionrift. Clearly you have a forecourt (never heard of that), but there is no image/icon for it, just the word.

The force_s3tc_enable message is occasional spam from firefox. It got picked up when I cut and paste from my notes. BTW, that message was hiding my comment, "Also in Strange Furniture."

bareskin/barskin -- look in Compendium>Perks at the Bareskin entry. IMO, it shouldn't say "barskin".

In the attached, there are traps just a couple tiles to the east of your hero. Trip them. Your hero gets cloned.

You have a luck ring, which will give you enough luck to put on the floating boots, which it turns out don't protect you from the traps.

Then take your hero down to River Harbour> Workshop and upgrade your cart a few times until your gold is good and negative.

As far as the white mage, I guess that makes sense (I didn't look to see if it had team or anything, I just thought that since the turn was changing I should get healed. Doesn't matter much anyway, since I'm just going to
Spoiler:
Attachments
TSL-Strange Legacy - Trader-Auto-Save19.gz
(628.26 KiB) Downloaded 44 times