Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sire

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Post by Sire »

So I started messing around with Strange Legacy again. I barely got anywhere in my first adventure a long time ago (never left the first main map), so this is likely my proper dive into this world.

I tried Bounty Hunter as my starter and noticed how slow it was to get gold, as completing missions took a while (not to mention my zerging the sewers, dying and respawning. I realized later that being knocked out was seemingly just a new player gimmick, death occurs after one reaches a certain point). Then I stumbled across the abandoned tavern just north of "Your House" on the world map, invested a little into it, and now have a fair amount of gold to spend for my starting needs.
-- I probably should look more into the crafting/trading aspect of Strange Legacy for gold purposes, as I feel like fighting is not a lucrative proposition early-on. Alternatively, I'm just not used to the combat here yet as I'm still mostly in Wesnoth mode. (I should try to kite with magic spells and remember to use consumables more.)

As for my progression...
-- Currently I'm Level 12 and its Winter.
-- I'm using the Pike and Spiked Armor for my equipment (although I still get my butt kicked by the random Lvl3 Mercs that occasionally ambush me).
-- As for Main Story, I need to go to the Stonecutter Hut.

Overall, I am still exploring and enjoying myself. I do have one question though.
-- How exactly do Mercenaries work?
=== I got a Dwarf Fighter for Fame, summoned him for one encounter, and now it seems I no longer have access to him (outside of recalling him, which I found out by exploring on the main map).
=== Are they one-time use soldiers, only being able to be recalled in specific circumstances? A part of me was expecting I would have a permanent traveling companion so I wouldn't be soloing everything on my own.

At any rate, thanks for creating this add-on! I'll continue my adventures and report back my findings/experiences.
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi again,

@ white haired uncle:

Such a shame dudududu such a shaman. I made an exception for the orc shaman.

Mushrooms? What about them? You mean the terrain defence?

Sneaky little boss. Can't change that without massive changes. However you are invisible not in another dimension.

Terrain influences the encounter, however to keep it less boring there are some encounter maps which are used for every kind of terrain.

Day 124 - can be. What kind of difficulty did you use. The 'Roguelike' competitor has insane starting stats. I already nerfed the competitor.

The level 25 is correct, as there are two things that will be added to the encounters once reaching level 25.

Well selling licenses or papers could be explained that there is "not a single good looking state", but several states and factions. Each one has a bounty hunter license. Yeah it is weird, but hey, you can find one and sell it.

Because a wolf ghost is not undead? It is just a normal wolf, with remarkable stealth. So the people gave him the name Himbeergeist, in short Geist, in English 'Ghost'.

Yeah, that's a little overpowered. But you can encounter enemies that are deadly. You can reload and try again. Usually the spells should hit a random allied unit, which would be a good way to counter that spell. However - this is broken since I nerfed enemy spells (because they usually had a spellbook with more than 100 spells). After that for some reason they just aim for the leader of a faction. Could have game change reasons. (usually by saying side=1 a random unit of side 1 was filtered, this has change in past versions).

@ Hi again Sire,

Mercenaries are a one shot. So you can 1 time summon a strong unit. Usually they should stay that way, as they are pretty cheap for the power, but you can recall them using a warhorn and creating a camp. This allows army based tactics to win the game and is probably needed to win the game when being a pacifist (selectable disadvantage, only advised for hardcore).
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Sire wrote: May 25th, 2022, 5:37 pm
-- I probably should look more into the crafting/trading aspect of Strange Legacy for gold purposes, as I feel like fighting is not a lucrative proposition early-on. Alternatively, I'm just not used to the combat here yet as I'm still mostly in Wesnoth mode. (I should try to kite with magic spells and remember to use consumables more.)
Not a bad idea, depending on your stats and how much you want to invest in furniture vs other .
Spoiler:
Sire wrote: May 25th, 2022, 5:37 pm Overall, I am still exploring and enjoying myself. I do have one question though.
-- How exactly do Mercenaries work?
=== I got a Dwarf Fighter for Fame, summoned him for one encounter, and now it seems I no longer have access to him (outside of recalling him, which I found out by exploring on the main map).
=== Are they one-time use soldiers, only being able to be recalled in specific circumstances? A part of me was expecting I would have a permanent traveling companion so I wouldn't be soloing everything on my own.
Spoiler:
white_haired_uncle

Heindal wrote: May 25th, 2022, 6:01 pm Hi again,

@ white haired uncle:

Such a shame dudududu such a shaman. I made an exception for the orc shaman.

Mushrooms? What about them? You mean the terrain defence?
As of 1.16.18 you can't collect mushrooms.
Heindal wrote: May 25th, 2022, 6:01 pm Day 124 - can be. What kind of difficulty did you use. The 'Roguelike' competitor has insane starting stats. I already nerfed the competitor.

Yeah, that's a little overpowered. But you can encounter enemies that are deadly.
I use the hard setting, but not the insane. I forget how they are labelled. I noticed the competitor is better, but probably still way too powerful. I see he has an income of like 60,000 -- I don't know what that means (60,000 per turn, movement, season...?) but what ever it is it seems like a lot.

Deadly is okay (as in death as a melee ability), as I can cast spells remote to slow/wound/etc and avoid them. But a boss that can cast death with no range limit and never misses...
Heindal wrote: May 25th, 2022, 6:01 pm Mercenaries are a one shot. So you can 1 time summon a strong unit. Usually they should stay that way, as they are pretty cheap for the power, but you can recall them using a warhorn and creating a camp. This allows army based tactics to win the game and is probably needed to win the game when being a pacifist (selectable disadvantage, only advised for hardcore).
Spoiler:
stevea68

Post by stevea68 »

After doing more woodcutting, with the random loot drops its feels more balanced now - Luck makes a noticeable difference. One issue that made woodcutting seem more challenging is that there appear to be two types of woodcutting axes, and maybe only one type works for the Forest. In the crafting area in the Capital City, there's a melee weapon called a woodcutting axe but then also in the trade district there's a woodcutting axe that is in the Ye Ole Tool menu. Maybe one of them can be renamed.

Overall, the game seems to be working much better with the update and it continues to surprise me how many ideas I had that you have already implemented something similar in one form or another. The latest fun I had was experimenting with the special abilities of various pieces of gear (The Degenbrecher looks like a fun one to play with :) and it took me a while to figure out how the teleporting robe worked but it's a fun item to experiment with)

There was a potential showstopper moment I encountered and that was when I selected the find monster nest option in the sewers. The encounter worked as normal except the "Flee" hex was broken. A greater teleport worked though.

I'll experiment with the Elven Rise population. The other cities have a mention option to deliver goods to increase the faction, but Elven Rise doesn't appear to have that option.

Oh, there is another issue I've encountered multiple times on the delivery the stones tasks to create a road - it doesn't seem to deposit the stated quantity of stones, but also it leaves invisible items using cargo space after the delivery. I've had to use the option to destroy all cargo, to get back to maximum free capacity.

... another possibility I should seriously consider is learning more about WML and maybe dive a bit into Strange Legacy scripting.

------

On the music videos, I don't know German, but my father does. It was strange after listening to that Moana / Viana music video a few times, it seemed like I was beginning to understand a lot of the German. Something similar happened before with Italian. I know Spanish and over time realized I could understand much of Italian too :) Your music video with the bear reminded me of this song by American Authors - Best Day of My Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y66j_BUCBMY

Thanks again for the game, Heindal. Enjoy your day :)
Sire

Post by Sire »

Potential Bug: Not sure if this is a bug or not, but I was doing my first infinite dungeon (I think) since a Quest led me there. I was looking for the "exit" and upon looking over the majority of the dungeon, I just ran Debug Mode and found the hole in an inaccessible area.
-- I'm guessing I either got screwed with the random generator, or I'm missing a way to get there somehow. Alternatively, I misinterpreted the meaning of the hole and/or the objectives.

Image: https://i.imgur.com/5HSPHr8.jpg
-- Hole is SW of the map, in the highlighted hex.
As for some more tales of my adventures, I finally cleared the Haunted Villa. Doing re-runs of the Haunted Villa (clearing out Undead) is amazing, 20k gold for an easy task. This is now my major gold source, although I do supplement it by creating Weapons (Iron + Lumber, Smithing) and Wine (I took over the Abandoned Cottage and made it my own, although I don't know if/when I can build storage and get workers for it). The poor Tavern is now being neglected, although I do plan on upgrading it whenever my Build Skill is 50 for the Guest Rooms.
-- I also learned to have lots of Herbs on hand (+30 HP, +3 Stamina), as well as the usual remedies (Bandages, Medicine, Antidotes). Using them in battles is now a bit more intuitive as I'm more used to the content.
-- As an aside, a part of me expected my return to the Haunted Villa might trigger a superboss of some sort. I was pleasantly surprised to see the main antagonist return as an enemy, but it's a shame the original boss chamber is sealed off on the revisit.

As for the Main Story, I went into Mermen land and messed around on my ship. I'm now tasked to go north, but I need more Fame to expand my trading rights, so I guess it's a detour to Elf Land since that opened up for me!
-- Combat wise, as much as I want to get a Shield or use a ranged weapon, I find the Torch too useful since John is Lawful and many of the dungeons take place Underground. I could hotswap items when on the overworld, but eh...
=== Also, investing into Ranged involves putting points in Dex, which is something I can't really afford at the moment. I guess I'll just stick to my STR/CON build, with some points in SPD and LCK every now and then.
white_haired_uncle

Sire wrote: May 26th, 2022, 3:02 am Potential Bug: Not sure if this is a bug or not, but I was doing my first infinite dungeon (I think) since a Quest led me there. I was looking for the "exit" and upon looking over the majority of the dungeon, I just ran Debug Mode and found the hole in an inaccessible area.
-- I'm guessing I either got screwed with the random generator, or I'm missing a way to get there somehow. Alternatively, I misinterpreted the meaning of the hole and/or the objectives.
Spoiler:
Sire wrote: May 26th, 2022, 3:02 am This is now my major gold source, although I do supplement it by creating Weapons (Iron + Lumber, Smithing) and Wine (I took over the Abandoned Cottage and made it my own, although I don't know if/when I can build storage and get workers for it). The poor Tavern is now being neglected, although I do plan on upgrading it whenever my Build Skill is 50 for the Guest Rooms.
Spoiler:
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi everybody,

@white haired:

Mushrooms - this is fixed now. The new "Enter" option had the same "id", which caused the other option to disappear.
This option was kind of a fast shot, and I haven't sorted the id's of the options (because this work has to be done manually and is annoying).

The tavern allows you to earn gold without spending turns, where your concurrence can act. Once you have the guest rooms you can even sleep there. It becomes a little bit like Adventure Capitalist, I know, but the click should represent work. I also dreamed of having some kind of mini game, but this is a lot of work, so I've skipped it. Maybe in a later version you will be able to enter the building and have some options. I already prepared several maps for temples and taverns.

The concurrence is getting an income each TURN / day. So 60,000 gold is a lot.

@Sire:

Potential bug: Exit - i know about this bug, but as you can re-enter a infinite dungeon, it seems ok for me that a dungeon exit can't be reached. Better luck next time. However as you can alter terrain using bombs, pickaxes and spells you can even reach ANY inaccessible terrain, if you really wanted.
Note that the exit is just the way to get to another level of this infinite dungeon, you can always leave the dungeon the way you came.

You can use a ranged weapon. It is true that I wanted to make the player either a shield, a ranged weapon and or a two-handed weapon, but I never coded that. So you can always equip a ranged weapon, even so your both hands are full. The shield hand can be used for different daggers and second hand abilities. Note that you can even upgrade the torch to 'spit fire' ('Cause you know that you can).

Note that there is a shop in the temple district which allows to "dope" your character for insane amounts of gold, and that there are some dexterity melee weapons - I admit, a reference to Diablo and other RPGs.

@steve:

Elven Rise isn't the capital of the Elves. So it doesn't have this option. The only faction with several capitals is the human kingdom, which is kind of separated 'free states' / kingdoms, which all act together as one faction called 'the kingdom' due to a pact called the alliance. One thing we know about elves is that they like to drink spiced wine. So delivering spices and wine will allow them to produce this precious goods and motivate them to build bows and other goods and increasing their population. The population growth is just 1 per production cycle (one turn / day on the world map)!

Axe is a tool, woodcutting axe is a weapon. I will see if rename this.

You shouldn't be able to find a monster nest inside of the sewer. However, I made a fallback so that you can leave monster nests from everywhere.

Road building mission: Thanks to your building skill you can save 1 stone, when your building skill is above 30. I now made a hint that shows the effect of building. The second option was kind of broken, because it did not restore the space. I fixed that.

If you need help with WML I can do that. You might want to look into the project 'Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarfenminer', where every step is documented.
I want to turn this into a guide, if I have time and motivation.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Sire

Post by Sire »

Played a little more and am confused on how the "Expedition" missions work, or if they are bugged. This is on Wesnoth 1.16.2, Strange Legacy 1.16.18.

I did my first one and defeated the Orc Leader who was interrupting something, but that didn't seem to do anything. I left the area, spawned at my house, and I still had the mission.
-- When I went back to the hex, I got a different map, this time fighting Monsters with the traders needing help with a "Riddle Door." I defeated the monster leader, got an Ancient Book as a reward, but there was seemingly no progress on the mission itself. I even smashed all the doors for good measure since the objectives say "Trader Sidequest: Defeat your Enemies," but again, nothing seemed to happen.
-- I left and tried again with Debug Mode on, this time I had to save prisoners from evil elves. I Debug Killed the leader, the traders said I would get some prisoners to help me out, but I didn't see any new recalls or units on the map.

As for digging walls with the Pickaxe, I just found that out. I thought it was a special tool item, I didn't know I can actually destroy impassable walls with it. That may prove useful later.
As for Combat, I'm using the Halberd as my primary. I thought the Torch took up the off-hand slot, but it seems I can have a Main Hand, Off-Hand, and Ranged Weapon all at once. I never thought about checking it more thoroughly, so now I have a basic magic ranged spell that can do stuff. I may change that out for a proper ranged weapon later.

Main Story wise, I am now tasked with cleaning up the Orcs in the North, specifically to stop their superweapon. I since taken a break from the main story to get back to trading and trying to get the cities to prosper.
-- Money wise, I'm starting to trade Diamonds from the deserts to the Capital City, and hope to eventually get the Diamond Mine for 1 Mil. While I probably shouldn't be too much in a rush since I'm on the easiest difficulty, I don't want the competitor to somehow get ahead of me and get the Castle. Not sure if the Castle is supposed to be a "post-main story" thing or not, but I want it. At least its seemingly cheaper than trying to get a worker for my Wine Cottage.

EDIT: As an aside, does the "Building Roads to Expand Trade Network" actually do anything, or is it just a repeatable trade mission?
white_haired_uncle

If you mean that you went to a Traders Guild, and selected "Support Expedition", well that is (or was recently) broken. You can finish the requirements, but it never completes. And if you cancel the mission, it'll still show up in your diary.

I saw the same thing with "getting some units to help", and I couldn't find them either. Did you check under Mercenaries? Or perhaps recruit (not recall), as eventually you'll be able to recruit units.

The pick will come in very handy at times, carry a few.

I don't care for diamonds myself. You don't make much gold off of them, and an encounter happens about every single time you move. There are much better ways to Make Money Fast[tm].
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi together again,

just checked the code for the expedition. You can end the mission receive the reward. So everything was working fine, except that the mission did not end :p. The reward was low, the mission parameter did not reset and so it 'appeared' that the mission never ended.
You also did not receive a proper mission + 1. I've changed that.

I adjusted that, along with higher rewards (10,000 instead of 1,000 gold) and made some changes to the text stating that the mission was accomplished).
There are some slight changes, such as the spider can now summon more different units and you receive a nice karma reward or reputation, according to the mission. I think it is a deed, helping people in danger so the gods smile on you. I don't why the dark gods like that, but maybe they like dungeon crawling.

I also got rid of an unnecessary while loop, which might have caused some delays. As this is a deprecated version of the dungeon generator, I might modernize the code furthermore, but not today.
Last edited by Heindal on May 28th, 2022, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
white_haired_uncle

Looks like "Scout the Orcish Area for an Outpost" is acting like expeditions. EDIT: Sorry, not quite. I completed the mission, but when I go back to Frost Capital, it's still an option. Not sure if that's right or not.

I noticed the enemies on the center map don't move when I do. They do in the north.

Not sure why all the orcs in the north (expect in the arena) seem to hate me. I'm an orc with a 3000 orc reputation.

I had to cheat to find out how to set sail from piratenest. The location in not labelled, and not somewhere I would have expected.

Strange I can't get writing skill, either from books or that new piece of furniture.
stevea68

Post by stevea68 »

Heindal wrote: May 26th, 2022, 9:40 am Hi everybody,

@steve:

Elven Rise isn't the capital of the Elves. So it doesn't have this option. The only faction with several capitals is the human kingdom, which is kind of separated 'free states' / kingdoms, which all act together as one faction called 'the kingdom' due to a pact called the alliance. One thing we know about elves is that they like to drink spiced wine. So delivering spices and wine will allow them to produce this precious goods and motivate them to build bows and other goods and increasing their population. The population growth is just 1 per production cycle (one turn / day on the world map)!

Axe is a tool, woodcutting axe is a weapon. I will see if rename this.

You shouldn't be able to find a monster nest inside of the sewer. However, I made a fallback so that you can leave monster nests from everywhere.

Road building mission: Thanks to your building skill you can save 1 stone, when your building skill is above 30. I now made a hint that shows the effect of building. The second option was kind of broken, because it did not restore the space. I fixed that.

If you need help with WML I can do that. You might want to look into the project 'Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarfenminer', where every step is documented.
I want to turn this into a guide, if I have time and motivation.
Thanks for the heads up on Elven Rise. Yes, I keep discovering that many things turn up over time by just playing more. I wasn't expecting SL to have so much content and details. Thanks for leaving the monster nests available and that sounds like a fix that works fine. Cool about the roads. The cargo space thing wasn't a major problem except that it took flushing all the space. Thanks again.

I think I found a mistake in the helpmenu file. On line 14881 it checks for the stamina requirements for the heavy wound attack with level damage to be at maximum stamina not 3. It's a sweet attack though ... 36 damage for 3 stamina! :D Ha!

" image=attacks/dagger-curved.png
message= _ "This skill inflicts a heavy wound, slows the enemy and do $level leveldamage.
<small>Costs: 3 stamina</small>"
[command]
[if]
[variable]
name=stamina
greater_than_equal_to=$maxstamina <- probably should be 3?
[/variable]
[then]
[sound]
name=fist.ogg
[/sound]
[harm_unit]
"

-------------------------------

Also, it's no biggy but it seems when I do the support expedition quest for the Traders Guild, the spawned encounter location doesn't clear, nor is the mission entry removed. I get a message about success after defeating the boss, but the encounter location icon stays on the main map and mission entry remains as a current mission. It's actually kind of fun to back in and do it again though!

Here's another possible script issue? I noticed the Stamina potion icon wasn't showing up in the consumables menu and I saw this in the helpmenu file there's a ~R(100) following the reference to luckpotion.png

" [option]
[show_if]
[variable]
name=staminapotion
greater_than=0
[/variable]
[/show_if]
image=icons/luckpotion.png~R(100) <- *** There's this ~R(100) following the luckpotion.png but the other menu items don't have that ***
message= _ "<b>Use Staminapotion</b> ($staminapotion|)
<small>Recover all stamina!</small>"
[command]
[sound]
name=potion.ogg
[/sound]
"

Thank you for Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarfenminer suggestion. I've noticed that when I edit the files, it doesn't seem to alter anything in game. I assume it's because it already caching some compiled / processed version somewhere. Is there a quick way to get the game reread / compile that edits?
stevea68

Post by stevea68 »

As a random sidenote ... so, how cool is this? Just me and a bud 'Flutterby' (with a 19x4 drain melee) "casually "chillaxing" in the sewers "minding our business" at a "random location" :D

The bat can fly across the water, if necessary, and is on the only real defensible spot in that little swamp, and my main character is sitting on a campfire on an encampment, resting most the time ... the bear trap is simply a luxury, like using a mosquito net to keep the bugs at bay :)

Wish me luck with "Flutterby" ... I think he's not likely to get ganged up on and taken down by surprise (170 HPs to boot! haha :D)

Ah, fun stuff ... I can't help it love the sewers dude!! (I will resist commenting about that some new form of character class that noone has taken seriously yet :)

Anyway, this image is of my initial maybe 8th or so excursion into Sewers level 2. I really enjoy messing around in that general area ... lots of cool tactics, spells, gear and ideas to try out.

There was something with the degenbrecher, and I thought at some point I'd got it set up to work - that when defending, my character would use the degenbrecher but I've been trying to equip something in my main hand and it seems to always use the main weapon for defense ... tried unequipping and reequipping different orders but the only way the degenbrecher seems to work is without anything in my main hand.

Oh, I downloaded that Drawf Drawfson Drarvenminer add-on and just begin to look at your post about it. Only 600K file size and from the description it seems to pack of content per byte into it, so that could be a good mod to explore and try editing / altering.

Have fun there and best wishes for your day.
Stranger_Legacy_Wesnoth_Checkmate.png
white_haired_uncle

stevea68 wrote: May 28th, 2022, 3:46 am
Thank you for Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarfenminer suggestion. I've noticed that when I edit the files, it doesn't seem to alter anything in game. I assume it's because it already caching some compiled / processed version somewhere. Is there a quick way to get the game reread / compile that edits?
Save your game (end turn?). Menu->Preferences (or ctrl-p), hit the cache button and purge. Quit to main menu, F5 (probably) -- or just restart wesnoth to be sure.

Defenceaura does not raise resistances by 30 as claimed, but sets them to 30 (minimum).

I've said it before, but fighting the same batch of saurians in just about every encounter is getting really, really, old.