Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

white_haired_uncle

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Well, there's stairs and doors in more than one place, so I'm not sure where you're at. My guess is that you're just getting started, playing the story and not RPG, and haven't left your uncle's house yet (exit is in the lower right corner of the map). If I'm correct, you'll never need to use the stairs as everything in those rooms can be accessed from around the area you started in, and the doors will remain closed to you until you get further into the story.

P.S. This is probably a good time to select Diary from the right click menu.
Federicux

Post by Federicux »

I don't understand what you mean by "playing the story and not RPG", but the rest is surely correct. I didn't specify this because I assume that all doors work in the same way.

There are many doors in my uncle's house, but I can't open any of them. I've read all the tutorials, but nothing helps there.

I opened the diary as you suggest, but again, I don't find any help there neither. Also, If I click on "dungeons and treasures" nothing happens. Sounds like a bug?

Not going upstair or downstair is ok, if you say that I don't need it. But maybe when I manage to leave my uncle's home I'll find places where I should be able to use stairs?
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi,

the doors to the guest room remain closed and your uncles room stay closed. There is no need to go there, so I never added that to the tutorial. The stairways however should work (depends on the version of Strange Legacy that you play), but it is not necessary to go there in the first scenario which is more or less a "tutorial scenario".

However you can return to the same map, but the doors stay closed until a specific point in the story. There are doors in dungeons or city maps, usually some doors act as some kind of "teleporter", you go the front door and get inside the building on the other side. In dungeons doors are units that can be destroyed, might change that in the next version.

RPG is a mode that can be selected when starting a campaign, it can be selected by selecting a difficulty for the campain. It is a little bit hidden in Battle for Wesnoth 1.16, because you have to select it before you start the scenario, otherwise it will start with a normal difficulty.

happy playing

Heindal
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Unfortunately I added some sound files to the original game. With the new concept of uploading, only changed files will be uploaded and I can not revoke the step. I heard that the 50 MB are a problem for some users. I could make a lean version of Strange Legacy reducing the size of the add-on and maybe make an extra add-on for the sounds. I´d like to know what you think about that, so made a poll? Is it necessary?
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Maikal

Post by Maikal »

Enjoying the campaign, it's a ton of content. Some feedback:

1. It's extremely unfriendly to new players. The tutorial is mostly text walls and only scratches the surface of all the mechanics and things you can do in this game. The best feedback I have is to try to use the storyline to teach more game mechanics. There are 17 skills and you leave the tutorial not really understanding any of them. They get briefly mentioned via text walls but the actual mechanics involved in getting resources and training them isn't taught. Even things like armies, enslaving towns, etc aren't explained at all you kinda just gotta do them and find out. I felt like I had to go into beta-tester mode just to learn what actually exists in the game. If it's designed with the intention of letting players discover new skills and powers etc, that's fine, but there should still be some kind of tutorial.

2. Gold and fame are very unbalanced. Gaining fame takes far more effort than losing it despite negative fame having seriously powerful benefits to rival positive fame. However positive fame is necessary for things like buying attribute potions, buying more caravan space, etc.

Early game content costs too much for too low gold generation sources unless you're doing bounty hunter stuff. 200 gold for a mission is ridiculous, doesn't let you do anything. A bed shouldn't cost 5,000, when an army costs 200k. 40 beds is equal to an army? Doesn't make sense. Late game content is more balanced except for attribute potions. Absolutely ridiculous costs. Either the game should be friendly towards maxing all stats and attribute potions should be made easier to obtain or the game should make you choose a path. It shouldn't ask you to grind ridic hours farming gold and fame to do that. Earning that 5 million for a castle or wisp feels good, they offer a lot of unique abilities and content. Earning that 100 million and 30k fame for a stat stick (in just one attribute mind you) feels like a chore.

Some content is just not worth doing at all, i.e. enslaving a kingdom is pretty much always a net loss of gold.

3. Too much content goes unexplained. Kind of ties into point 1. I accidentally cursed my weapon via a miracle while praying at a temple without knowing what that is or what it meant, then all of the sudden I noticed I couldn't unequip it. Had no idea how to uncurse it, thought it was bugged. Had to mess around in beta mode to figure it out. It's not explained anywhere.
Last edited by Maikal on January 23rd, 2023, 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
white_haired_uncle

Maikal wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 2:53 am
The game has a lot of neat content but I find myself lost in it, unsure if better ways to do things even exist.
Yeah, that's what makes it fun, and a campaign that I re-play regularly. It'd suck if there was only one "right" way to play, even worse it the game told me what that was instead of letting me figure out for myself.

I've never equipped a cursed weapon. IIRC, they/it are really powerful, but can't be removed which is a price I am unwilling to pay. I don't remember where the warning is, but it's available to you before you equip. Somehow you can earn resurrection, and when you die you lose some/all possessions, I don't really remember how that works as I try pretty hard not to die, but it might be cool if dying would break the curse in case someone missed the warning. Or an NPC could offer to remove it if you perform a special mission
Spoiler:

Fame is kind of hard to get in the beginning (which makes it really annoying when the competitor strips some), but later in the game I don't have any problem acquiring fame. I also rarely, if ever, spend any of it.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi Maikal,
Hi White_haired_uncle,

@Maikal thanks for playing and mostly enjoying Strange Legacy. I'm glad you like it and thank you for your feedback.

1. Maybe I'm a kind of an old school gamer and in these games they mostly told you the basics and it was part of the fun to find out things by yourself. I love exploration and secrets in games and games that could be played over and over again from a different perspective. I love games like Valheim, Stoneshard, No Mans Sky, X-Beyond were exploration is a main part of the game. Also exploration of features, to see new things you haven't seen before.

Some of the options are even hidden, except you fulfill specific requirements. A barbarian would never come up with the idea of talking himself out of a situation, while a charismatic trader would do that and wouldn't even think of fighting. Even most of the main quests have several ways to solve them, such as making a mission for the necromancer or just pay them 1 million (hey they are evil geniuses what can you do?).

Making a tutorial like this would be endless and I even made one, even if it is not up to date (http://www.heindal.de/strangelegacy/). However, everything can be found in this thread, especially the new things. Skills are explained in the compendium of the game. However how can I make a tutorial for these skills without a wall of text? I can not add a tutorial video. But I will add NPC that teach you everything you need to know about skills. I think that would make the game more charming. Quests are bad, I mean I have 17 skills and now I have to make like 17 npcs, but making additional quest would overthrow any new player. I remember Phonix Point were you get some kind of stack overflow, because you have so many options and you are running in circles to get everything done (even so you are not supposed to). I want to avoid that.

2. As you can easily buy fame by donating in temples and at the refugees. However the maximum of fame is capped, so you can't be a devil and become a godlike angel, you will be more of less - hey you are not so evil and we like what you did. Why? I played Baldurs Gate (the good old one) were you had fame. You could easily kill entire villages and could become a good guy with maximum reputation by just donating a part of what you had stolen before. Baldurs Gate was awesome, but this feature seemed unrealistic.

I think my approach is more realistic, as some king who were cruel and conquered other nations, tried to do something "good" to improve their reputation - such as building churches. Or companies that do green-washing to compensate like 10% of what they did. You can convince some with these actions, but not everyone. And fame is easily destroyed, but hard to built it up. I think my add-on does that.

My approach is not optimal, but I think that is ok. I will leave this topic now, before you mention karma ;).
I absolutely agree with you with the prices. I will lower the prices for all furniture and tools.

3. Well, to curse your weapons you must have a high negative fame, no player could get to that point without actually going for it. If you visit a dark temple it always comes with a price. And usually yes, you could not uncurse it, until I added this feature (several?) years ago. And again, without a wall of text I can not explain the features. See it as a part of story telling.
I was a fighter a good one, nah actually a bad one. Than I made a mistake. I visited a dark temple and got my weapon cursed. What a tragedy! I wondered if there would be healing and asked the gods for help. Than the most attractive angel I've ever seen approached me and said:

Fear not, I have the answer to your prayers:
Spoiler:
Maikal

Post by Maikal »

I think the pirate nest is bugged. I got a mission to hunt pirate ships, went there, and was given an objective to defeat or befriend the pirates. All the pirates were automatically greeting me as a friend, and there was nothing to do there. Can't even complete the mission. Not sure what I did to befriend them. I have extremely negative fame like -160k. I used a fame changer to change to positive, the pirates were still my friend. My kingdom reputation is like -9000 so maybe that did it idk. Can't find the ocean titan, unsure if I need to complete a bunch of islander bounty missions to increase my rep with them and unlock new content with them, but can't really complete their missions anyway since all pirates are friendly
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi Again,

this intended. As you have a very low fame, they consider you to be one of them. This is one little hidden secret of this add-on. Note the you can now purchase some unique items from the pirates, access some secret locations in the pirate nest and from now on you will receive excuses in case a pirate tries to board you. Obviously they will turn friendly than. Other than orc who still fight you if they like, but at least they will greet you friendly.

As there are tons of other encounters from other factions in the open sea I think that´s ok.
You will unfortunately have to abort the mission, because you've changed sides. ARRR.

Unfortunately I will make the update with the prices after the update for Five Fates, which still has some bugs. And there are also tons of ideas for new content as well. I will also address the things about the status potions and make the growth a little, even so I was thinking like - the higher the attribute the higher the price. It is not just a flask you buy there, in my fantasy I was thinking about devices and entire buildings they have to create to make these potions for you. I was thinking about devices as in Escaflowne, which keeps Emperor Dornkirk alive.
Maikal

Post by Maikal »

Heindal wrote: January 25th, 2023, 4:44 pm As you have a very low fame, they consider you to be one of them.
I tried using the fame switcher and made my fame 160k positive, they still treated me as a friend.
Heindal wrote: January 25th, 2023, 4:44 pm Note the you can now purchase some unique items from the pirates, access some secret locations in the pirate nest and from now on you will receive excuses in case a pirate tries to board you.
It doesn’t seem that there are any items or interactions offered by the pirate nest. The NPCs don’t do anything and don’t seem to have any tiles to stand on to interact with them. Unless it’s supposed to occur as a random event from just moving around in the pirate nest? Or if it’s bugged? It just seems odd, there is quite literally nothing to do in the pirate nest except examine for the unique words of power for the mysterious monolith. I saw that another user commented about this problem but that was years ago
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Works fine.
Pirates.png
However you are required to have a fame below -10000 to access these options. Talking of pirate friends: Once you are a pirate friend they consider you as friendly. They will ignore your evil err good deeds and accept you even so you have a high fame, but don't give you access to your goods. I will change that. I will also add an option to disguise as a pirate. (done, will be in the next update - once a pirate friend you can access the store and you can trick pirates with a disguise ;))

I hope you enjoy the unique options :).

Cya

Spoiler:
Maikal

Post by Maikal »

Some feedback in order of importance: The money making is by far the most important because it's possible to exploit these methods to just get maximum gold pretty easily without engaging in an other content:

Money Making
Selling craftable items to shops is by far the best early money maker by a large margin and eclipses even late money making methods. You may find this problematic because it trivializes all other content players could otherwise engage in for money.

Some notable offenders:

1. Warhorns/greater warhorns. Really low requirements to get this going. sells 100k ea
2. Max mana/max stamina potions. Medium-high requirements to get going and can sell all at once. Max mana sells 250k ea, stamina 75k ea at nomads.
3. Heal potions. Dwarves buy them for 1150 ea, elves sell for 150 each. Infinite stock. Really easy to get max gold once this is unlocked.

Suggestion 1: Limit the stock of items sold in shops the same way goods are, introduce diminishing sell values as you sell to the shops and increase their stocks.
Suggestion 2: Other engaging content may deserve buffs. Particularly combat/bounties. In my opinion they should absolutely always offer the highest reward since they're the most engaging and possibly the most challenging and risky. Early game bounties seem appropriately balanced, later game ones are inappropriately balanced, in most cases they are too easy and unrewarding considering the requirements to access them (Orcs are the biggest offender here).

Attributes
1. I noticed speed can only be leveled on easy mode. It makes content like the thieves guild weapons for example irrelevant because you’d never reach the speed level required until super late game when you’d never use them anyway (I think you can obtain speed potions as a rare drop via dungeons/flasks).
2. I noticed other players have mentioned that it is best to not use level ups on attributes and instead try to max out your attributes at the potion shop first so that you can more easily get past level 30 in all attributes. I feel like players should be encouraged to engage in leveling and developing their character, not disencouraged from doing so until late game.

solution 1: Remove the potion store. Forces players to engage with all content from 1-30 and makes that content appropriately challenging and rewarding as opposed to farming gold/rep and skipping it.
solution 2: Remove the potion cap at 30. Not a perfect solution since costs increase so much with later levels, would still be beneficial to defer level ups.

Some may feel this is a legitimate playstyle that should be supported, maybe it is, although personally if a player wants to skip early game content altogether they should probably just use debug/beta tester/editing save files instead of farming gold/reputation. Unsure what the best solution here is.

Buildings
It's not very clear how one is supposed to level up the building skill and the amount of gold necessary to upgrade buildings quickly far surpasses the pay out. Some notable offenders:
All orc buildings. The orc fortress only pays out 5 gold per day to start despite its high requirements.
Orphanage: the fame generation is really low and it's not worth upgrading very far or at all
Rotten tavern: Same problem as orc buildings but much lower requirements, maybe it's appropriate to leave it at low income but I find that it's pretty much never worth upgrading.
The cost increase for all buildings when upgrading one makes it hard to justify upgrading early buildings at all except maybe the diamond mine or a cottage/brewery for fame generation especially when early buildings don't offer much

Solution: Rebalance the orc buildings especially since they have high costs and can be retaken: More gold per turn, better upgrades

Factions
1. Bribing for negative reputation feels too expensive for the payout. It is always better to simply deliver goods. 100k for only +200 rep pretty much never compares to just delivering goods. Unless you just have gross amounts of money from the offenders mentioned earlier and don't feel like trading.

2. Raiding/enslaving seems to never be worth it, the costs of the armies is never made up for by the rewards. Perhaps if there were more options to use slaves it could be worth it like using slaves in our kingdom/diamond mines or delivering them to other "evil" factions like orcs or vampires.

3. Gaining reputation for vampires/islanders is far more time consuming than other factions. It may be a good idea to rework gaining reputation with them into a challenge rather than a grind. My suggestion would be to grant a mission to kill some kind of boss, making the pirate nest/bat nest kind of like a dungeon in the sense where after killing pirates/disturbers (and gaining reputation per kill perhaps), you will spawn a challenging boss (that scales with level) to kill rewarding a larger amount of reputation.

4. Civil wars/Rebellions/Conflicts
Really nice content, although admittedly I was only able to engage with it using debug mode. Unsure how you actually find this content unless it’s just a random event. I’d suggest instead maybe making it a repeatable activity under diplomacy made accessible after obtaining a certain amount of reputation.

Fame, Dark/light sides
1. It would be nice if there was an option to get attribute potions & cart upgrades with negative fame. Light/dark side should definitely have defining differences, but attribute/cart upgrades are so neutral, they’re necessary for either path you choose. It makes it difficult to choose the dark side until you’ve taken everything you need from the light side.

2. It also could be more interesting if your fame had more of an impact on how different factions respond to you. Elves/Dwarves/Islanders/saurians(? Unsure where they would sit) neutral, all other human kingdoms/merfolk/drakes positive, vampires/pirates/orcs/naga/outlaws negative.

3. It would be interesting if there were more options with slaves. Selling them for 10k and -50 fame each is kind of disappointing. It would be more interesting if we could use the slaves in our own kingdom to do work or offer them to vampires/pirates/orcs/naga and see changes to those areas and new unlocks as we give them slaves.

4. It could be interesting if there were ways to "cheat" in the arena to gain negative fame as opposed to positive. I.E. maybe you bribe some of the arena competitors to sabotage their brethren.

Combat
Reaching a high level causes monsters, especially in high dungeon levels to reach 100% all resistances and 100% defence all terrains. The only way to fight them is to use corroding dust/bone dust from alchemy to lower their levels or to use spells or convince a few with "death" special attacks, or to have the death scythe yourself. Perhaps there can be made a way to give our weapons "lightning" damage, which ignores all resistances and weaknesses and always does the damage it says it does. Or perhaps there should be a cap on the resistance/defence monsters get, I think it's more interesting if monsters have strengths and weaknesses personally.

Skills
1. Mining/fishing/wildlife/caretaking appear lacking in content.

Suggestion: Different types of fish/ore/unique creatures that can only be hunted with wildlife/servants options in castle/house with caretaking. Low priority suggestion.

2. Skills are inconsistent in whether or not they offer increased level ups for higher end content. Cooking in particular allows you to level 10 at a time later on, writing maxes out at +3 with teleport scrolls with later content only giving +1 levels.

Suggestion: Level ups should either consistently be +1 for all actions or level ups should consistently be gained faster as you perform higher end activities.

Other:
No idea how to wear disguises, it doesn't seem that the barber in capital city allows it unless i'm missing something. Do we need to look up images in the save files to find different portraits?

Pickpocketing NPCs seems to be bugged or I'm doing it wrong. It always fails even with high thieving level. Only succeeds in taverns. On the plus side, this is actually a work around for pirates being friendly. Fail to pickpocket one and then they all turn aggressive and start recruiting pirates to come after you.

Thanks for clearing up the pirate nest for me, perhaps it could be useful to implement text on the building tile or a red circle with crossword just to indicate that it is a tile worth visiting - I walked all around the pirate captain in his camp and didn't get any interactions so assumed there wasn't anything there and left.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi Maikal,

thanks for your feedback.

I will close some of the money making options. That the elves sell heal-potions at 150 is probably a bug, when I changed the prices the while ago. It should be 1500 and I will fix this. I will make warhorns un-sellable, as well as the other mentioned potions. Considering bounties. I don't think that 1 Mio. Bounty is bad, especially for a killing mission, even so you mess with a faction.

The storage of items is a nice idea, but not at the current state of the code. Stores don't exist in an array, but as individual stores.
This would mean to change each store separately. I assume there are 100 and more stores in this game.

Attributes:

I don't know. As I said 30 is probably the highest a humanoid can get or think of. I will not remove the cap, but maybe reduce the prices. As there isn't enough exp to get all stats to 30 by leveling, this is a way for a player, to get good in everything. Considering speed - yeah, that makes items that give speed a little bit more value-able and races with a speed bonus more attractive.

Buildings

Buildings and cities are two different things. Buildings usually have some secret options - especially the tavern has like 3 of it. The Orphanage has so far 4, I will probably add some kind of Oliver "twist", so that you can hire orphans to be your spies (which is not very noble, but maybe if you are bad guy).

The tavern is the only building that can give you a constant income. Hm, maybe the cities could give you an income to, beside the taxes!?
Maybe that would be nice. I will increase the tax-income for all villages.

Factions

1. Bribing: It is intended that it is hard to gain the favor of a faction, I will however make a cap of how many goods a faction needs.

2. Raiding and enslaving has a reason - you can sell slaves or
Spoiler:
. But delivering them would be another idea, I could think of.

3. You don´t need high reputation with the islanders and it was intended that vampires reputation gain takes longer. But maybe delivering artifacts or slaves to them, could increase the faction gain.

4. Yeah, there are like over 30 different global event in this game. I have already made some changes so that decisions can trigger such a global event, but not for the conflicts, yet.

Combat

Every monster has it´s weakness, but it was never intended that somebody walks down to level 100 in an infinite dungeon and if so, he would have to face these enemies with high resistances. I could cap it at 90%, but I'm not quite sure how to do that.

Other

There is an illusion store in Capital City, which has disguises. It is the only way to get disguises and they are mostly for fun and halloween events.
Pickpocketing npcs will also regard your level and make it harder. So having level 100 will decrease your pickpocket level by -100.

Will add a label.
white_haired_uncle

So hiring child labor is not very noble, but slavery and human sacrifice are okay. Got it.

BTW, I still think the biggest problem with trading consumables is that there is no limit to how many you can carry. A limit on how many consumables you can carry makes sense, and it would fix the problem where once you find a very lucrative consumables trade, gold becomes effectively free (growing exponentially as you repeat the trade over and over). Seems to me that if you can make, for example, 10 woodpieces out of 1 wood, and 1 wood takes up 1 cargo slot, then 10 woodpieces should also take up 1 cargo slot. I can see this being quite tricky to implement, as it would probably require a lot of re-balancing, and I'm not even sure where to start, but it would make a lot more sense than what we have today.

P.S. Does the in-game add-on download also only transfer (download) changed files? If not, it would really suck for someone with a lousy network connection to have to download stuff like music that probably never changes every time they want to get a minor update or something.
Maikal

Post by Maikal »

Heindal wrote: January 29th, 2023, 6:02 pm
I will close some of the money making options. That the elves sell heal-potions at 150 is probably a bug, when I changed the prices the while ago. It should be 1500 and I will fix this. I will make warhorns un-sellable, as well as the other mentioned potions. Considering bounties. I don't think that 1 Mio. Bounty is bad, especially for a killing mission, even so you mess with a faction.

The storage of items is a nice idea, but not at the current state of the code. Stores don't exist in an array, but as individual stores.
This would mean to change each store separately. I assume there are 100 and more stores in this game.
There will be other money exploits so long as there is an infinite stock. Off the top of my head some other big offenders which would immediately take place are mithril, dragonleather, darkwood which are bought for like 800-1000 at the dwarf/elf vendors and are sold for 2500 to the royal hunter society/black market when they're available (they're bought for 10k at those stores). Not a fan of whitehair's suggestion to make consumables take cargo space, it makes skilling complicated and you'd have to juggle combat supplies with skilling supplies and trading.
Considering speed - yeah, that makes items that give speed a little bit more value-able and races with a speed bonus more attractive.
Sure but there are also combat items/armour that require speed of 10 or less but they become dead content in higher difficulties because by the time you'd reach speed 10 those items are obsolete. In particular I'm thinking of thieves guild items and skirmishers boots. Perhaps these items would be better suited to require dexterity instead, but not a big deal to leave alone not all content has to be relevant imo
Factions

1. Bribing: It is intended that it is hard to gain the favor of a faction, I will however make a cap of how many goods a faction needs.

2. Raiding and enslaving has a reason - you can sell slaves or
Spoiler:
. But delivering them would be another idea, I could think of.
I worry that capping how many goods a faction needs could create situations where unassuming players are unable to increase faction reputation above 0 permanently
I was aware of the 2nd use for slaves, truthfully I never tried it because the idea of harming reputation with every faction for some karma seems like a really harsh tradeoff when karma is pretty easy to get once you unlock psalms or if you have money to burn on ancient texts.
Every monster has it´s weakness, but it was never intended that somebody walks down to level 100 in an infinite dungeon and if so, he would have to face these enemies with high resistances. I could cap it at 90%, but I'm not quite sure how to do that.
I'm seeing nearly all monsters with 100% defense all terrains and 84% resistance all styles on level 1 with a combat level of 83. I also found that there is perhaps a bug with crafting a bow: I didn't select a damage type and it was crafted without one so it ignores all resistances/vulnerabilities. Capping it at 90% still makes combat require lots of bone/corroding dust and attack potions necessary for every monster
Pickpocketing npcs will also regard your level and make it harder. So having level 100 will decrease your pickpocket level by -100.
I tried editing the save file to get 9999 pickpocketing, still had a 100% fail rate