Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Post by Heindal »

white_haired_uncle wrote: October 7th, 2022, 3:45 pm Let's say you have 5 intelligence, and you're wearing a +5 intelligence ring. You can buy a spell that requires 10 intelligence, but what happens to the spell menu when you take off the ring and therefore can no longer cast the spell?

I THINK some furniture (fountain?) require (very low) minimum stats as well, so same question might apply there. [Note that Nobody_III said FURNITURE was not showing up, not CRAFTING options].
Intelligence: once you have a spell that had a requirement you can cast it, without fulfilling the requirement. That is the sense of these rings. So were meant as some kind of temporary doping to access new kinds of equipment or even spells. The spell gives an silent ability, which is than given to the unit. If the unit has the ability the option will show no more. I could or should have done that differently, but when I added spells to strange legacy like maybe 10 years ago, this seemed to be the best options and I kept it until now. But it can be that the hero died and lost the spells. This can happen but was so rare, that I did not think about to fix it.

Furniture: Well this is up for interpretation. I assume that he meant the crafting options as he said crafting / spell options are broken.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Intelligence: once you have a spell that had a requirement you can cast it, without fulfilling the requirement.
I don't like this. It doesn't make sense to me. I could get behind it, if spells had a chance of failure, and if damage was based on IQ vs min IQ (if you learn a spell and then drop below the minimum supposedly required to cast, your damage "bonus" went negative). But that's complicated and probably unnecessary, just not being able to cast seems better.

If anything was allowed when you don't meet the minimums, I'd like to see it be buying (but not using) a spell. Like how you can buy/loot ancient books that you can't yet read. All too often I travel out to remote regions to buy a spell, only to realize I'm just a little short and have to make a second trip.

Do other minimums also work like this? For example, can I use a ring to increase my strength high enough to use a dwarf weapon, then switch to a hardinessring or something and still wield the weapon I don't have the strength for? I hope not, and if not it would make spells inconsistent with other abilities.

I think the furniture part was quite clear, as he uses the word furniture and never uses the word crafting:
The furniture and spellcasting menus were broken, not showing half of the furniture and spells that I bought.
Nobody_III

Post by Nobody_III »

More bugs:

I went around in a ship, got off of it, then teleported, and now my dog isn't following me. Also, I'm stuck on the storyline quest, because I had already bought the desert upgrade before I started. It won't let me past, even though I can walk to the desert temple. Or teleport to it, for that matter.

Also, in an earlier playthrough, I got stuck at the tax-paying part. I searched all the menus on the capital city, and went to the center of the capital city map, past the guards, and I talked to the dude there, and even went to all the different parts of the city, and looked through the menus there, but I couldn't find any way to pay my taxes.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

More bugs:
I went around in a ship, got off of it, then teleported, and now my dog isn't following me.
>> This intended, the doggy stays behind, but can be recalled. Otherwise he would follow the ship in the water and drown :cry:. The dog doesn't like ships and stays where he is. I did not find another way to solve this. I could "kill" him, but that is a little harsh and would break some of the companion mechanics. And this behavior was described in the last update :eng:. However I added one thing in the next version, when on a ship you can no longer order the dog around.
Also, I'm stuck on the storyline quest, because I had already bought the desert upgrade before I started. It won't let me past, even though I can walk to the desert temple. Or teleport to it, for that matter.
>> Nope. If you mean the library: than you have the wrong "temple". The place (library) isn't a usual temple and can be found in the south-west of a desert temple and should be marked with a label. The exact location is shown in the diary (x=56, y=65). If you have visited the library you have to check the tavern north west of the library. You can always review: http://heindal.de/strangelegacy/walkthrough.html for guidance. I recently haven't done any changes to the story mode.
Also, in an earlier playthrough, I got stuck at the tax-paying part. I searched all the menus on the capital city, and went to the center of the capital city map, past the guards, and I talked to the dude there, and even went to all the different parts of the city, and looked through the menus there, but I couldn't find any way to pay my taxes.
>> This can be found in the town hall, which is located in the Traders District. Also see the walkthrough above.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Just rechecked the story line. It worked fine to find the temple and to pay my taxes. Some furniture is located in special places, such as the workbench and the anvil, which is located in the cellar and bookshelf, bed and desk are located in the second floor. You can reach these places by using the stairs, but it isn't necessary to do so. Once you've unlocked one piece of furniture you can access it from one of the other options for crafting. E.g. in the oven you can switch to the anvil and the workbench. I recently found a survival game that did the same, so it doesn't seem to be a bad idea.
Heindal

1.16.21 Halloween Update

Post by Heindal »

I'm a little bit early, but I don't have time the next days. This update features new ways to customize your avatar, Halloween content and fixes important bugs.

Add-on Version: 1.16.21 Halloween Update
Battle for Wesnoth Version: 1.16
Codename: Ascension Interludium
Halloween.png
Halloween.png (76.24 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
bugfixes:

- fixed infinite movement gain through mounts
- fixed biome spawning points
- fixed problems with undead heroes defense animation
- fixed goldgain / goldloss when entering / leaving several scenarios
(used to work, but seems different in version 1.16)
- fixed prints, they now show again
-- this was caused by a new concept in duration

changes / balancing:

- new games start with activated ascension
- changed music of tavern maps
- slightly improved wose titan unit picture
- added option to leave greater teleport scrolls and castle teleport at the beginning of the list
- castle research inside the castle is no longer part of the teleportation circle, but has an own option
- Joanna spawns inside the castle
- you can now explore random dungeons directly by entering the dungeon
- corrected description boar titan
- indenting
- updated German translation as well as the pot for possible translators

new content:

- attack animations for titans (some of them are great, some are a little bit cheesy)
- titan attacks shake the screen
- some titan scenarios are now slightly bigger and offer more option such as shrines for healing
- 12 new haircuts to customize your character
- 2 disguises wolfkin and catkin
- design own costumes and haircuts

- haunted house - a new spot during ascension
- a new undead Boss "Spook"

- candy as food
-- I wanted to name it sweets, but decided to use the american word
-- it restores stamina and mana, but lowers your health
-- candy can so far only be gained by defeating bosses inside the ascension locations

- new spooky terrains: pentagram, bloodstains
- decoration for ascension now shows in the house and the castle

- 2 new races for RPG mode wolfkin and catkin
-- catkins are adventurers with high luck and elusive feet
-- the don't have 9 lives, but I gave them at least one reincarnation
-- note that this new race has negative fame and can not enter capital city without being attacked

-- wolfkins are mercs, soldiers and scouts
-- they have a high wilderness skill and should be able to camp and hunt from the start
-- note that this new race has negative fame and can not enter capital city without being attacked

- new class "tourist"
-- a reference to the legendary "Nethack" and Terry Pratchet
-- this tourist is elusive and has high resistance - probably because he is unaware of the dangers that lure in this world
-- the tourist can not lose his magical "shirt" as in Nethack, however he refuses to wear other armor than his shirt
-- the tourist has a blitzdings (camera) that does a lot of damage to ghosts and confuses enemies (slows)
white_haired_uncle

In the attached, you've just bought a ship and started to explore. See what happens when you leave the encounter.

Also....

cooking tutorial - you have a change > chance

mission tutorial - can not > cannot

outlaws - dog tamer sells meat @60, ingredients sells meat at 40?

Is is wolfkin (as in the help), or wolkin (as in unit type)?

CC Sewer - usally > usually

In the description for CC, race names are capitalized. In the description for mainland, they are not.

In the Haunted House, why does the spook just stand there and let me kill him?

I'm a wolfkin, with negative fame (and kingdom rep, at least according to compendium), and yet I can access CC just fine (unlike what it says in above post).

Talk about faith - believes > beliefs

In inventory, craft amulet just shows "+". Plus what? Also, min charisma missing.
Attachments
TSL-Encounter Ship-Auto-Save3.gz
(552.65 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi uncle,

welcome back and thanks again for your reports. I hope you enjoy the rest of the content.

white_haired_uncle wrote: October 26th, 2022, 10:23 am
In the attached, you've just bought a ship and started to explore. See what happens when you leave the encounter.
Ok. Funny, obviously I entered the house as a ship. Will need a fallback for the case that happens, such as teleporting the ship to the same location, which will than teleport it to the nearest water tile. So this will be a free bonus for owning a ship to at least have 1 teleportation scroll with you and to spawn one.

Fixed it, when entering the new battle, the coordinate x y wasn't saved properly, so the fallback was the house. Will upload a fix.

Also....

cooking tutorial - you have a change > chance
fixed.
mission tutorial - can not > cannot
Typically non native speaker mistake. My bad. There is a difference between can not and cannot.
My instinct tells me, if you write single words, is that you would pronounce the last word like YOU CAN NOT PASS.
This is a typical mistake. Is "You can not craft anything nor access furniture." correct or wrong?

I'd say it should be cannot.
outlaws - dog tamer sells meat @60, ingredients sells meat at 40?
Intended - its a scam. I think you can read this between the lines, when you ask about dogs. Ingredients Store are also connected with the population / strength of the faction. So it can be that the option is not available.
Is is wolfkin (as in the help), or wolkin (as in unit type)?
It should be wolfkin, such as "Wolf Kind". I like that somehow, so its an own name.
Hm, the unit is Wolfkin and correctly written. Were have you found wolkin?
CC Sewer - usally > usually
Fixed as usual.

In the description for CC, race names are capitalized. In the description for mainland, they are not.
Because it is Capital City.
In the Haunted House, why does the spook just stand there and let me kill him?
Hm, because he is a little bit to smart. I tried that with a new character and it jumped on me, like err a corrupt politician on a bag with bribe money.
Usually the AI will not attack you if an attack makes no sense or you are about to level up. I'm not quite sure I can change that, because I set the AI to maximum aggression. (agression=1, caution=0) It's probably a little bit different in the current version.
I'm a wolfkin, with negative fame (and kingdom rep, at least according to compendium), and yet I can access CC just fine (unlike what it says in above post).
Haha, got you. I used passive!

can not (cannot) enter capital city without being attacked

That doesn't mean you cannot enter the city, but that you can´t do that without being attacked. The reason is a little bit odd, as the guard just checks if you kingdom reputation is pretty much negative, a little bit negative reputation is tolerated. But it doesn't check the fame. However, not every faction cares about fame. Some factions just ignore if you are criminal (e.g. Island and Saurians).
Talk about faith - believes > beliefs
fixed
In inventory, craft amulet just shows "+". Plus what? Also, min charisma missing.
The "craft amulet" is a piece of furniture you can craft. Maybe you crafted one but without any attributes. Hm, I carefully tested that a while ago. Will recheck.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Uploaded a new version 1.16.21.1 that fixes the bug reported by white haired uncle. In case your ship gets stuck you can browse your ship options now and select I'm stuck, you will than receive a teleportscroll, which gets you out of this mess.
white_haired_uncle

If you "can not" do something, it means you have the ability (choice) to either do it or not. I can not pay my taxes, but they'll put me in jail.

If you "cannot" do something, it means you do not have the ability to do it. I cannot pay my taxes, because I have no money.

I can go into CC and I do not get attacked, even as an unpopular wolfkin with negative fame.

I did not craft the craftamulet. I must have picked it up after combat (I know I picked up some item that had an amulet icon).
wolkin.PNG
wolkin.PNG (117.68 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Well I've read the definition of can not and cannot. Than can not is ok, because you can go there and the guards attack you but you can outrun them. :lol:
Craftamulet is a bug than, I added to the drops by accident.
white_haired_uncle

In the attached save, I gave furarmour to my dog. He got the 15 resistance, but not steadfast.

Then I reloaded the turn and gave him orcisharmour, and he did not get damageup, so far as I call tell.

If you give him orcisharmour, then immediately take it away, the end result is that he loses attack points.

Also, in the picture note that none of the items I have given him are listed. For example, he's wearing a ring, but what is it? (hardiness, of course).

When doggy AMLAs, if I highlight dexterity it shows +1 melee, not ranged.

Doggy will follow me into HC, but not follow me around once there like he does in CC.

EDIT: In forecourt, my water bottles count is blank, though I have 41 (as can be seen when working my oven).

"Let's see what they can offer" - is this broke? So far, it's been nothing EVERY time.

I picked up the Handbook of Pickpocketting (and at least one other similar book). Does it do anything? I can't find a way to use it.

In the Trader District, I tried to buy a speedamulet for 80,000 but I don't have enough gold (I only have 129,000). I didn't have 80K when I entered the jewelry menu (I sold a lot while there). I exited and same back and now I could buy it. So it seems it's using the gold value when I entered the "market", not what I have currently.

In a duel, why would my uninjured opponent start his turn by taking a heal potion?

The frozen ability leads to an empty help menu if you click on it. Also, it appears to do 5 damage per turn, which is not documented?

I transformed into a berserkerhero, then earned an AMLA. When I mouse over luck, I don't see any defense improvement, but I do when I mouse over charisma.
Attachments
doggy.PNG
TSL-The Haunted House-Auto-Save10.gz
(622.6 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Then I reloaded the turn and gave him orcisharmour, and he did not get damageup, so far as I call tell.

If you give him orcish armour, then immediately take it away, the end result is that he loses attack points.
This is indeed broken, it might be that this never worked, as the event looks odd and hasn't a connected id. It could be that it increases the attack of your hero as it also increases the damage for extra ranged and extra melee of your main character in case he changes a weapon. The quickest fix is to delete the orcish armor from the list of equip-able items.
Also, in the picture note that none of the items I have given him are listed. For example, he's wearing a ring, but what is it? (hardiness, of course).
I think we already had this. The equip unit was always a little experimental. It seemed that the attributes could not be saved inside the unit. It needs a little overwork + lua code to get this done. And I hate lua.
When doggy AMLAs, if I highlight dexterity it shows +1 melee, not ranged.
This should all be the same amla (STRANGE LEGACY AMLA). Will check it.

Edit: Indeed - I copy pasted that without changing it.
Good catch!
Doggy will follow me into HC, but not follow me around once there like he does in CC.
This could be, also depends on what you ordered him to do.
EDIT: In forecourt, my water bottles count is blank, though I have 41 (as can be seen when working my oven).
Caused by a typo - fixed. After all, imho you should rename it to watter, after all it's Wasser in German :P.
"Let's see what they can offer" - is this broke? So far, it's been nothing EVERY time.
Will add it to my recheck list.

Edit: Yeah, it has a 50/50 chance increased by your luck decreased by your level. I think this could be the reason, with a high level and low luck the chance is pretty low. I changed the code so that your level has no more negative effects on the chance. So with 49 luck you should have a 100% chance to find an object. I will probably reduce the level effects in crafting too and make it more forgiving.
I picked up the Handbook of Pickpocketting (and at least one other similar book). Does it do anything? I can't find a way to use it.
It gives you a skill, which is an attack available as melee weapon.
In the Trader District, I tried to buy a speedamulet for 80,000 but I don't have enough gold (I only have 129,000). I didn't have 80K when I entered the jewelry menu (I sold a lot while there). I exited and same back and now I could buy it. So it seems it's using the gold value when I entered the "market", not what I have currently.
Probably a known bug because nested shops don't work the same way they used to work. Not quite sure how to fix that without an immense amount of work.
In a duel, why would my uninjured opponent start his turn by taking a heal potion?
Because the use of abilities is totally random. I make an ai that appears to behave logical, but doesn't do that at all.
That's an old engineering trick :lol:.
The frozen ability leads to an empty help menu if you click on it. Also, it appears to do 5 damage per turn, which is not documented?
It is now documented. I'm not quite sure what to think about the broken helpmenu, though.
I transformed into a berserkerhero, then earned an AMLA. When I mouse over luck, I don't see any defense improvement, but I do when I mouse over charisma.
This should all be the same amla (STRANGE LEGACY AMLA). Will check it.
Edit: Wasn't a bug, it should increase the defense (which means higher chance to avoid attacks). Charisma just provides a resistance gain!
white_haired_uncle

Book of lightning can be used on multiple units.

After successful Support Expedition, you still have to abort mission.

In attached, check the loot.

In craftsman district, why are there armors under instruments?

In craftsman district armorstore, quantities of possessed items are blank.
Attachments
TSL-Haunted Villa-Auto-Save24.gz
(716.75 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi white_haired_uncle,

thanks again for your bug reports. As you helped me (and all other players) a lot with these reports, I wonder if I could do something for you and integrate a feature of your choice to the game. Just think of something and I can see what I can do. You already have statue ;), but I could add an animal of your choice, or I could make a npc with your name or add a random encounter with white haired uncle to the add-on.

Book of lightning can be used on multiple units.
Indeed, fixed.
After successful Support Expedition, you still have to abort mission.
Strange. I tested this feature a lot, but I found the reason why I believed it would work. Usually when leaving the map for example you take on a mission and you are encountered, the mission will "respawn". That does not happen when you finished the mission. I the case of the expedition, this isn't happening, so during my tests when leaving the mission the expedition did not showed up again.

From now on Expeditions will show after an encounter and they are labeled with Expedition.
You will no longer have to abort the mission.

When entering the mission, the X,Y coordinates are saved.
(that was missing too) I admit I quickly added this feature in a rush :/, like the mounts.
In attached, check the loot.
Edit: Found and fixed the problem. The random loot was a "Amulet of Strength", however in the description was missing in the array. As it had no description it just said, you found a . However the Amulet was taken and available in the Inventory. Pew, just a smaller bug.

However I found out that the Strength Amulet was several times in the array, which shouldn't be the case. I changed the array so that the Strength Amulet just exists once, instead you can now find several items such as red wine, fur and leather.
In craftsman district, why are there armors under instruments?
Well, some equipment for bards can be found there as well. The Bard's armor and the Jester's armor.
That's intended. Pew, I thought this would be a bug.
In craftsman district armorstore, quantities of possessed items are blank.
Not only there. This a selling macro, which shows the object. Usually you have to initialize a variable. Such as saying Wooden Shield = 0.
But I haven't done this. However this was unnecessary, as I already show the number of possessed items, when you sell items.

I've changed the code, it is fixed now.

Cu

Heindal