Five Fates 1.11, Dungeon crawler

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Spirit_of_Currents

Re: Five Fates 1.11, Dungeon crawler

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

1. If you wanted the paladin have level five leadership, why not make him level five?
2. I still can't see my hero's every positive ability below the minimap.
3. If I want to have a poisonous bite attack, I must choose vampirism (3) before necromancer (4).
4. Poison immunity doesn't protect from venom.
5. I had poison immunity and sat in a village. An enemy poisoned me, and I wasn't healed after it.
6. Darkens ability doesn't work.
7. There is no elf leader in "Light, when least excepted"! I had to use debug mode to access the next scenario.
8. The random encounter wolf in "Light, when least excepted" is green. I think it should be purple, like other wolves.
There are very much electrical currents in my brain.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hi Spirit,

you are getting old Spirit ;). Forest Dragon reported two bugs you haven't mentioned yet :p. Well it is a little bit embarrassing for me, but there still some (at least little) bugs in this add-on even so I tested it for several hours. But concerning your questions:

1. If you wanted the paladin have level five leadership, why not make him level five?

This would reduce the experience gained by the paladin as well. It is not a solution, I'm afraid. I think the lieutenant is ok, as it upgrades the aura path of the paladin and that was necessary.

2. I still can't see my hero's every positive ability below the minimap.

Some abilities are hidden, I did that on purpose as you've already mentioned that there are too many abilities appearing.

3. If I want to have a poisonous bite attack, I must choose vampirism (3) before necromancer (4).

Not quite sure that this was intended to make the bite attack poisonous. It clearly says brute force.
But if so, than that is a nice extra benefit you will only receive if you do so.

4. Poison immunity doesn't protect from venom.

This kind of intended, as venom is some kind of magical poison that even effects the undeads. But I will think of something. Maybe healing venom at the beginning of a turn, when you have poison immunity. Done.

5. I had poison immunity and sat in a village. An enemy poisoned me, and I wasn't healed after it.

Not much I can do about that. This is something in the core. The villages heals before the self healing works.
I think it is the same with regenerate.

6. Darkens ability doesn't work.

True, it just affects yourself!? Maybe I broke it while merging it. Fixed. It will now affect adjacent units, too.

7. There is no elf leader in "Light, when least excepted"! I had to use debug mode to access the next scenario.

True, when changing the Death Elves I've experimented with better names. I've changed them back, because it is too dangerous for a working campaign.
Unfortunately I already tried some new names for the type of the elf leader. I fixed it. Thx for reporting this bug.

8. The random encounter wolf in "Light, when least excepted" is green. I think it should be purple, like other wolves.

Kind of low priority, it is just a random monster spawned by a macro.

I'll make a bugfix asap. Thx again. 1.14.1 Little Mirror is online now.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Spirit_of_Currents

1. When I have both normal wound and heavy wound, I lose 6 HP per turn.
2. I don't want to see tentacles of the deep in "Arena" because they mostly have 0% defence.
3. I think that, in "Saviour", the Bandits' hitpoints increase too slowly and damage too fast.
4. In "Saviour", why are there many Thugs in east when the scenario ends with the death of Bandits in the middle? I guess it's unintentional I don't need to kill Thugs.
5. I think level zero and one units, maybe even level two, make "Arena" too easy.
6. I think that, in "Saviour", the enemy should attack me always when possible. Otherwise it might be too hard to protect the townsman.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

1. When I have both normal wound and heavy wound, I lose 6 HP per turn.

This is intended. 2 + 4 = 6.

2. I don't want to see tentacles of the deep in "Arena" because they mostly have 0% defence.

Well, it's easy to do that, but this is just a detail, imho.

3. I think that, in "Saviour", the Bandits' hitpoints increase too slowly and damage too fast.

The damage should be high, so that he can kill the civilian in one turn. And you have to avoid that by killing or convincing him first.
To kill him first a high hitpoint-gain would be contra productive.

4. In "Saviour", why are there many Thugs in east when the scenario ends with the death of Bandits in the middle? I guess it's unintentional I don't need to kill Thugs.

It's intended, its his backup. Eventually they will not join the fight, but put pressure on you to defeat the thug quickly.

5. I think level zero and one units, maybe even level two, make "Arena" too easy.

Yeah, but I like the that they send rabbits after you! You said it was too hard, last time.

6. I think that, in "Saviour", the enemy should attack me always when possible. Otherwise it might be too hard to protect the townsman.

They are thugs, they will attack the weakest person. It is ok, because your job is protect it with any means possible such as summon a demon or whatever. I wonder if you should add the warhorns or the create fortress spell to the add-on so that you can summon an army to protect them or a shield.

However - it is just one endless scenario with scaling difficulty for fun. There is so far no "end" and no "gain" in saving many civilians. Maybe later, another statue for the "Shadow". Edit: uhuhuh I could add the bankrobbery scenario from SL and randomly switch the mission you have in Saviour. But that is WAY to much for a single optional ending scenario.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Spirit_of_Currents

1. I still don't get swamp defence from shields.
2. An enemy attacked me with waterspray spell, making me have negative hitpoints. When I right-clicked my hero, there was no hero menu nor cast spell nor summon option. I ended turn but it didn't help.
3. I loaded a turn, which made my hero poisoned. When I began the next scenario, I was poisoned too.
4. When an elf with a plague attack kills a wolf, it sometimes becomes a horse-riding corpse, not wolf zombie.
5. I'm happy the elves now can't make me ill nor weak. I think rats being able to make me ill and wounded is ok because there's a very good defensive position in the first map. Edit: I think enemies with attacks inflicting non-mainline negative status effects are ok if there are very few these units.

Edit: more feedback and bug reports.

6. It seems there is now less loot in random caves. A bad thing if you ask me.
7. I touched the artifact but, after I was told what the artifact did, it instead went like if I'd inspected the cave around. I also got a message
<Lua error> lua/wml/object.lua:23: bad argument #1 to 'get' (expected string or location)
stack traceback:
(C): in field 'get'
lua/wml/object.lua:23: in local 'cmd'
lua/wml-utils.lua:144: in field 'handle_event_commands'
lua/wml/message.lua:468: in local 'cmd'
lua/wml-flow.lua:51: in local 'cmd'
lua/wml-flow.lua:5: in function <lua/wml-flow.lua:4>
I used debug mode to access "Worldconquer".
8. My blood curser hit a bonecaptain but it wasn't cursed. A few times it seemed that her attacks drain instead.
9. In "Worldconquer" an enemy used Koboldmagic and I was teleported to a village in the middle of ocean. I had to wait for a new Koboldmagic.
10. Rarely, my enemy has 60% chance to hit when it should be less.
11. I wanted a challenge so I completed "Worldconquer" without spell-casting or summoning. I also didn't use consumables other than (two?) healpotions. I completed the whole campaign as a paladin without cheating or debug mode (I didn't count that in point seven), and I exploited saves only once or a few times. Do you want to see replays? Addition: when I was watching the replay, I got an error message "calculated movement destination (x=65 y=59) didn't match the original destination (x=65 y=57)". Next turn I got another error message: "unfound location for source of movement: 65,57 -> 67,57". Then I got many similar messages. I got so many of them I decided to end game. Maybe you want to see every fifth auto-save instead? I used total of 80 turns in this scenario. Next I finished "The Artifact" and "Orcish Invasion" without spell-casting, summoning or consumables.
12. I remember that sometimes the ability I get from berserkertattoo doesn't work.
13. In my opinion, you should make the first random cave scenario easier than the second.
14. I pressed arrow keys when an enemy spell was moving towards me, and the view (what part of the map) began to wag wildly. The bug lasted circa one minute. This was the first time that bug occurred even though I've often pressed arrow keys to speed up the spell movement.
15. In "The Artifact" the hero statues have no traits with the exception of the dwarf who is healthy and quick.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

1. I still don't get swamp defence from shields.

Found it, for whatever reason they renamed the terrain to swamp_water instead of swamp.

2. An enemy attacked me with waterspray spell, making me have negative hitpoints. When I right-clicked my hero, there was no hero menu nor cast spell nor summon option. I ended turn but it didn't help.
3. I loaded a turn, which made my hero poisoned. When I began the next scenario, I was poisoned too.

These are both caused by deprecated code using storing and unstoring units. It was made before harm existed (1.12?!) and always caused some glitches.
I've changed the code, at least for the enemy spells now.

4. When an elf with a plague attack kills a wolf, it sometimes becomes a horse-riding corpse, not wolf zombie.

I haven't told the game to do that, so maybe it something in the core?

5. I'm happy the elves now can't make me ill nor weak. I think rats being able to make me ill and wounded is ok because there's a very good defensive position in the first map. Edit: I think enemies with attacks inflicting non-mainline negative status effects are ok if there are very few these units.

I'm glad you like it. I already prepared to make an own faction for the death elves, I've probably have to do some more balancing and comparing with mainline units before publishing it.

Edit: more feedback and bug reports.

6. It seems there is now less loot in random caves. A bad thing if you ask me.

Haven't changed anything concerning the loot. It is and was always random. If you encounter lower drops, it is mostly due to chance.
Some loot is hidden however.

7. I touched the artifact but, after I was told what the artifact did, it instead went like if I'd inspected the cave around. I also got a message
<Lua error> lua/wml/object.lua:23: bad argument #1 to 'get' (expected string or location)
stack traceback:
(C): in field 'get'
lua/wml/object.lua:23: in local 'cmd'
lua/wml/message.lua:468: in local 'cmd'
lua/wml-flow.lua:51: in local 'cmd'
lua/wml-flow.lua:5: in function <lua/wml-flow.lua:4>
I used debug mode to access "Worldconquer".

Found it, thanks for reporting I've fixed it.

8. My blood curser hit a bonecaptain but it wasn't cursed. A few times it seemed that her attacks drain instead.

No idea, I will ignore this for now.

9. In "Worldconquer" an enemy used Koboldmagic and I was teleported to a village in the middle of ocean. I had to wait for a new Koboldmagic.

Hm, usually people reaching worldconquer should have teleportscrolls. So I kinda did that on purpose forcing you to use them.

10. Rarely, my enemy has 60% chance to hit when it should be less.

I think I added an option for the enemies to hit with 60% to counter heroes with a high defense. There is a weapon special that makes attacks work like marksmanship and gives a 60% hitchance.

11. I wanted a challenge so I completed "Worldconquer" without spell-casting or summoning. I also didn't use consumables other than (two?) healpotions. I completed the whole campaign as a paladin without cheating or debug mode (I didn't count that in point seven), and I exploited saves only once or a few times. Do you want to see replays? Addition: when I was watching the replay, I got an error message "calculated movement destination (x=65 y=59) didn't match the original destination (x=65 y=57)". Next turn I got another error message: "unfound location for source of movement: 65,57 -> 67,57". Then I got many similar messages. I got so many of them I decided to end game. Maybe you want to see every fifth auto-save instead? I used total of 80 turns in this scenario. Next I finished "The Artifact" and "Orcish Invasion" without spell-casting, summoning or consumables.

Cool, I hope you enjoyed the world conquer. I put some effort in that, in the last update and even added an additional story scenario.

12. I remember that sometimes the ability I get from berserkertattoo doesn't work.

No idea, I will ignore this for now.

13. In my opinion, you should make the first random cave scenario easier than the second.

It is random I'm afraid.

14. I pressed arrow keys when an enemy spell was moving towards me, and the view (what part of the map) began to wag wildly. The bug lasted circa one minute. This was the first time that bug occurred even though I've often pressed arrow keys to speed up the spell movement.

That is the core game, I can't do anything about that. Probably keep shift pressed to speed up things.

15. In "The Artifact" the hero statues have no traits with the exception of the dwarf who is healthy and quick.

Yeah, I think it was reported before and back than I decided to ignore that. Because they are statues.
Spirit_of_Currents

1. Is it intentional that the player can, just before AMLAing, switch to an armour that gives more hitpoints, in order to get more extra HP from that
AMLA?
2. I many times got an error message about an unknown unit type: Crab in "Arena" and saw little to no enemies.
3. A suggestion: those enemy units being able to cast spells and summon are marked somehow so that players can see it.
4. I remember some wolves drop wolffur and some not, and some drakes drop dragonleather and some not.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Spirit_of_Currents wrote: February 24th, 2023, 12:03 pm 1. Is it intentional that the player can, just before AMLAing, switch to an armour that gives more hitpoints, in order to get more extra HP from that
AMLA?
2. I many times got an error message about an unknown unit type: Crab in "Arena" and saw little to no enemies.
3. A suggestion: those enemy units being able to cast spells and summon are marked somehow so that players can see it.
4. I remember some wolves drop wolffur and some not, and some drakes drop dragonleather and some not.
1. No its not intended, but a nice exploit. But I think this is a problem with the core of wesnoth and will probably occur in every add-on or campaign where units can pick up items or increase their hp somehow.
2. Ok, the Crab seems to be missing. But instead of ignoring this and spawn the next unit, it will just end spawning units at all.
3. Usually they should have crown, but not quite sure I did this in Five Fates.
4. Yeah, because it is based on the type of the wolf or drake.
Spirit_of_Currents

1. I found a bug: In the first scenario, I destroyed two ghosts simultaneously because my attack had splash special, but only one ghost survived, and I
only got 8 exp. Addition: in the orcish arena, splash kills don't count so I can't finish the round!
2. I saw some units with negative HP.
3. A bug: after Arrowrain enemy spell damaged my units, they were healed so that the damage was negated. Same with Firestorm.
4. A minor bug: sometimes enemies spawn at unwalkable. This may happen in monster nests or when an enemy summons a giant rat next to the player
character.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks.

1. I believe that this is caused by deprecated code inside the splash special. It just reduces the amount of hitpoints and doesn't fire any events. I think I was aware of that and as you can leave and return to the arena, this was never a real problem for me.
2. Could be the same, some spells just reduce hitpoints, but the game doesn't fire an event than. Could be solved by improving the code with the harm event. However I believed that I had fixed that already.
3. Interesting. Never saw that.
4. I already know this bug. Wasn't a big issue for me, as the units usually will walk out of it in the next turn.

Holy Laziness, Batman.
Spirit_of_Currents

1. A bug: I switched ranged weapons and lost the effect of ranged strike potions!
2. A bug: when my halfvampire equipped his Killer weapon, every attack got charge and backstab specials. He unequipped and equipped it again, and now every attack has the specials twice!
3. I killed a rat with a plague attack and it became a human zombie.
4. Scorpion zombies have resistances much different than living scorpions.
5. I remember the negative HP was due to splash or splashdrain, not spells.
6. I used debug mode to get ten reincarnation AMLAs in a row for my halfvampire. He used one and the message said I now don't have any left.
7. When the Worldconquer scenario begins, the player character has much less current HP than maximum HP.
8. I remember that sometimes the Merfolk Queen doesn't move her units during her turn.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thank you for your reports:

1. Ok, have to check and fix that. I believed I already had fixed it :/.
2. Ok, Killer should be a "technique", but it could be I just did this for the bandits melee specials - I will change that.
3./4. Unfortunately that`s out of my control: the plaque special is core game and everything is does has been written inside the wesnoth core. I can not change it, except changing the entire game, messing with files I don't really understand (my respect to the development team).
5. Yeah drain and all drain specials are broken. I will have to fix that. With the other points when I have time and motivation.
(after finishing troubleshooter and roots of pacha)
6. Could be intended, I have to check it.
7. Is intended, but I might add a text to that. The artifact you have taken massively increases "stats" such as damage, hp, resistance and mp (that is new feature). To represent the transformation and give your hero some time to rest, I decided not to heal up the hero, so that he has to recover to "fully" understand his powers.
8. Out of my control, it is an ai matter. Maybe making her side more aggressive might help.

The changes will be part of a new version.
Spirit_of_Currents

1. My headbutt technique doesn't have the slows special.
2. The nagini leader was easy to kill because she teleported and moved to dry ground. Is that intentional?
3. In the scenario with elves and wolves I saw a cursing elf on bandit difficulty. Was that intentional?
4. My paladinhammer gives enemies at least 60% chance-to-hit. If I choose another attack, the enemy's chance-to-hit is what it should.
5. It's illogical that the bandit's non-unequippable starting weapon has higher damage output than the unequippable one.
6. There is still the old bug that erases the effect of strike potions when unequipping a weapon.
7. Another old bug: my hero sometimes has no ZoC.
8. In the Orcishsuperweapon scenario the objectives tell me to kill the leader when I actually should destroy the superweapon.