The Altaz Mariners (2p pirate RPG) now with French translation!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vghetto

Re: The Altaz Mariners (pirate co-op campaign) big update!

Post by vghetto »

{TAM_GLOBAL_EVENTS} is missing from temple_of_ice_underground-b.cfg.
It's also missing from intro-1.cfg intro-2.cfg world-map.cfg, but omission seems intentional.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

vghetto wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 1:51 pm {TAM_GLOBAL_EVENTS} is missing from temple_of_ice_underground-b.cfg.
It's also missing from intro-1.cfg intro-2.cfg world-map.cfg, but omission seems intentional.
That's intentional as there isn't any combat on those scenarios.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Maboul

Post by Maboul »

Hi Bob

Nice campaign, i'm wondering if you're able to produce the .pot file for translations.
I'm willing to translate it in french.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Maboul wrote: February 24th, 2021, 8:07 pm Hi Bob

Nice campaign, i'm wondering if you're able to produce the .pot file for translations.
I'm willing to translate it in french.
Hi Maboul. Thank you for offering to translate the campaign. There is tons of dialogue in TAM, but I'd be pleased to see this happen. I looked into how to generate a pot file, installed python and tried to run gettext via the GUI.pyw interface. However, after reporting two errors in the campaign the interface continued running and never completed. In fact, after an hour I tried to stop it and I couldn't (I had to restart Windows). I tried it a couple of times and the same thing happened. I guess I need some help with this... it would be good to know what's supposed to happen. Anyone know why the process never completes?
My current projects:
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote: March 2nd, 2021, 11:42 pm I looked into how to generate a pot file, installed python and tried to run gettext via the GUI.pyw interface. However, after reporting two errors in the campaign the interface continued running and never completed. In fact, after an hour I tried to stop it and I couldn't (I had to restart Windows).
That sounds like a bug in the GUI ... Did the .pot file actually get generated? (I would guess it should only take a few seconds to generate the .pot file.)

If the GUI is hanging for some reason, I think you can probably kill it by running the Windows Task Manager and using the "End Task" button, without having to restart Windows.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hi Maboul. Thank you for offering to translate the campaign. There is tons of dialogue in TAM, but I'd be pleased to see this happen. I looked into how to generate a pot file, installed python and tried to run gettext via the GUI.pyw interface.
I have experienced the same problem. The GUI is fine, it's just how the add-on arranges the translatable strings which causes the thing to "freeze". I had to recheck everything in my add-on to see where the wmlgettext was deciding to freeze (and I am still searching BTW). Unless you do the wmlgettext from the start, running it on a complete add-on will be messy. #BeenThereDoneThat
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Maboul

Post by Maboul »

Hi Bob
I've tried to extract and create the pot flie, using GUI.pyw
i have 2 warnings:

Code: Select all

warning: The_Altaz_Mariners/scenarios/slavenia-a.cfg:1084: found an empty translatable message
warning: The_Altaz_Mariners/scenarios/fort_bastille-a.cfg:2216: found an empty translatable message
It's not necessary to translate empty strings ;-)
but i got this pot file
The_Altaz_Mariners.zip
(164.87 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
I'll try to translate some strings and see if it works
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Maboul wrote: March 6th, 2021, 3:50 pm Hi Bob
I've tried to extract and create the pot flie, using GUI.pyw
i have 2 warnings:

warning: The_Altaz_Mariners/scenarios/slavenia-a.cfg:1084: found an empty translatable message
warning: The_Altaz_Mariners/scenarios/fort_bastille-a.cfg:2216: found an empty translatable message
It's not necessary to translate empty strings ;-)
but i got this pot file The_Altaz_Mariners.zip

I'll try to translate some strings and see if it works
:-) Indeed I read that one should not do something= _ ""
Maboul

Post by Maboul »

I've made these translations (4500 strings to translate, 8) )

Below the ".po" and the "*.mo" in a zip file
The_Altaz_Mariners_fr.zip
(559.18 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Now, i don't know what i should do with it (i tried to put them in directory The_Altaz_Mariners/translations/fr/LC_MESSAGES) but it's ignored

There is surely some configuration to do.
Bob_The_Mighty, this is probably something you have to dig in order to make it work. Tell me if i can do something.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

It should work if the .po file is located at The_Altaz_Mariners/translations/wesnoth-The_Altaz_Mariners/fr.po.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Maboul wrote: March 7th, 2021, 9:57 pm I've made these translations (4500 strings to translate, 8) )
That sounds like a lot! I just checked and it seems this will be the first translation for the campaign. I'm now considering whether I ought to do the German translation. Perhaps I ought to start with the add-ons I've updated first though for practice.
Maboul

Post by Maboul »

gnombat wrote: March 7th, 2021, 10:59 pm It should work if the .po file is located at The_Altaz_Mariners/translations/wesnoth-The_Altaz_Mariners/fr.po.
Yes, it works!
I need to fix some strings, then i'll put the .po and .mo again
Atreides wrote: March 8th, 2021, 5:33 pm That sounds like a lot! I just checked and it seems this will be the first translation for the campaign. I'm now considering whether I ought to do the German translation. Perhaps I ought to start with the add-ons I've updated first though for practice.
Yes, that's a lot, I used deepl.com first, it helped a lot. But you still have to check all strings...

@Bob_The_Mighty it seems the translations don't work well with string that includes HTML tags macro variable
it's better to replace this kind of lines

label=_ "<span color='{TAM_BLUE}'>Get some sleep and look for him in the morning</span>"
by this one

label= "<span color='{TAM_BLUE}'>" + _ "Get some sleep and look for him in the morning" + "</span>"
I think i can quickly replace all these lines (with a regex/replace). I'll modify all your scenarios/*.cfg, zip and send them to you. I hope i have the latest version ;-)
Maboul

Post by Maboul »

@Bob_The_Mighty

It works fine, but I had to replace many strings in your addon. Is there a source repository (like gitlab) for your addon?
I'll probably put it on gitlab, it'll be easer for me to push my changes and for you to check the modifications done.

I'll check again the translations, in the game, many trnaslations have been done out of the context, so, sometimes, the result is correct french, but weird...
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Thanks for the tips, gnombat and Lord-Knightmare. Maboul, I'm glad you've been able to make progress. There isn't a source repository for TAM. How would I go about incorporating changes you've made to the code?

By the way, wouldn't it be easier to to change...

label=_ "<span color='{TAM_BLUE}'>Get some sleep and look for him in the morning</span>"
to

label=_ "<span color='blue'>Get some sleep and look for him in the morning</span>"
rather than...

label= "<span color='{TAM_BLUE}'>" + _ "Get some sleep and look for him in the morning" + "</span>"
As I understand it, the problem is with macros appearing in translatable strings. Or is the pango markup stuff an issue as well?

In any case, I think there's probably a few parts (such as a the trading/commodities menu) where the code places macros directly in the text. I'll have to recode those parts.
My current projects:
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

If the translator can only mess up the pango markup I would suggest to not include it in the translatable string. If the translator might reasonably want to tweak the pango markup then it makes sense to include it.

In the given case it seems like the text should just be fully blue so it does not sound like it'd be useful to allow the translator to tweak the markup.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott