Scenario 8: The Princess of Wesnoth

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dELFador

Re: Scenario Review: HttT - Princess of Wesnoth

Post by dELFador »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
medium. 1.7
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
9. the reinforcements she got were a pain.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
very clear. basically is to just defeat enemy leader.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
quite interesting.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
killing the duelest and fencer from the mountain.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
none.

my strategy was to send my main force to attack via the bridge, and 6 elves to attack via the forest south of the Li'sar's keep.
Krellja

Post by Krellja »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(1) 1.6.2 Medium
(2) 3, surprisingly easy.
(3) Clear
(4) ok
(5) No real challenges. Used the human-wave taktik (or better a horsemann-wave taktik. Recruited 3 keeps of mainly horseman and some elvish scouts).
(6) 6. A nice diversion: Not to think about the future of the units.
(7) none
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

Medium, 1.6

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?
4 - What's the problem? Maybe it's my Grand Knight and Paladin blowing through the Cavalry.

Not crystal-clear, but it should be obvious: take her out!

Not that interesting for meeting the
Spoiler:
princess. Why do they elect to
Spoiler:
Kind of a disappointment all around.

The hidden commandos? Most players will spring the trap accidentally and they're not that big a deal. You should have enough magical damage on hand (trident merman, anyone?) to bring them to justice.

For the main battle against Li'Sar's Swordsmen and Cavalrymen, the trick is just to fall way back during the day to lure them towards the woods, where you can hide better. Yield the bridge, you'll win it back by destroying their overcommited forces. Trident merman can wreak some havoc too.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
4 but minus 1 for
Spoiler:
Overhaul the dialog as mentioned. Why should they trust her?
Last edited by BubbleScreen on July 16th, 2010, 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
roman_sharp

Post by roman_sharp »

Normal, 1.8.2-1.8.3

Crystal clear.

Good.

Manage to defeat enemy level 2 units and finish quickly.
New and new unexpected reinforcements for enemy.

None. It's pretty good, I think.
Orcus_Christ

Re: Scenario 8: The Princess of Wesnoth

Post by Orcus_Christ »

Content Feedback wrote: (1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(1) Medium. Version 1.8
(2) 2. I won in less than 10 turns using brute force.
(3) Clear.
(4) Why did they (Konrad & friends)
Spoiler:
It feels like an idiot moment. Li'Sar's dialog was corny and a bit inconsistent.
Spoiler:
(5) None. I won quickly and took few causalities.
(6) 2. It's almost as easy as the final scenario. The bit with the hidden duelist was interesting, but I had no units near my keep.
(7) Give the princess more units who can handle horsemen/knights.
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

Hard, 1.8.4

5, average. Hint:
Spoiler:
Very clear

Clear and interesting, although Lisar's and Konrad's lines are a little naive for my taste (but I understand that's how they're supposed to think). And in any case, since Lisar is a key character, I don't like that the first impression she makes is that of a spoiled brat. Also, as others mentioned, it would make more sense if she escaped.

None

5, average

Other than possible dialogue improvements, note that Lisar's initial recruiting consists almost entirely of cavalry; I believe it would be more challenging if it were horsemen (knights/horsemen, which should obviously be the biggest part of your forces on this map, simply slaughter cavalry and you gain an early advantage).
Linux. Space technology.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.9.4, Normal

2 most of the time, 4 for a bit when she had multiple level 2s that could strike at my wounded forces

Clear

Fine.

Avoiding losses due to Li’sar’s level 2s

6 – another kill-em-all, but the opponents are different from the previous scenarios

Maybe make her final reinforcements (the ones she gets when she decides she had not being using enough forces) appear if one of my units is standing next to her. Apart from that I think it’s fine as it is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No, thanks to some good luck that allowed a few of my wounded units to survive.

Thoughts:
This was easier than I expected, but not too easy thanks to all the level 2s she gets as reinforcements.

I could have ended it a turn earlier than I did by using Delfador to take out Li’sar, but I chose not to, as I would miss a lot of experience.
Attachments
HttT-The_Princess_of_Wesn..._replay.gz
(38.74 KiB) Downloaded 808 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty level and version? Challenging (hard); 1.9.5; 278 starting gold
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 9 for total victory, maybe 6 for assassination
(3) How clear? Fine.
(4) Dialog? Good.
(5) Challenges? Keeping loyals alive is very hard, especially when out in the open.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 9
(7) Changes? None.
(8) Restarts/reloads? Many restarts from start after death of a loyal or critical unit. No save-loads, though.

Replay attached. For the sake of a personal challenge, I went for a total victory (elimination of all enemy units) rather than leader assassination. If you're having trouble with this scenario, consider using the classic elves-in-the-woods defense:

You might be tempted to form a line along the water edge, but the defense difference of plain to water is smaller than the defense difference of forest to plain (in terms of average damage.) I just sent my elves into the small woods northeast of the keep, formed a loose hedgehog defense, and hoped for the best. The situation was tense in the above screenshot and became dire later, but it all worked out in the end. I got lucky in some spots, but that's sort of the point of the elves-in-the-woods defense: they're hard to actually kill.

Maximizing income is important until later in this scenario. So, I recalled all my loyals except a couple of the Mermen. I wound up being a little too heavy on Mermen, but they admirably protected the right flank of the forest troops and then waddled out onto the plains in the advance on the enemy keep.

Keeping loyals alive takes a whole lot of concentration here, even during the mop-up. On turn 18 I had to be aggressive in killing 2 of 3 enemy units near my loyal Mermen, so that none of my units could be killed. On turn 20, a single enemy Pikeman managed to keep my whole army at bay, since many units could not withstand the possible 42 points of damage.

I wasted a lot of XP, somewhat intentionally. I was more focused on survival of leveled units than on leveling new units. So, my level 3 units got a lot of kills.

Oh my, I almost forgot what scenario comes next. I hope I have enough gold. I finished only 3 turns early, though by then I had almost all the villages.
Attachments
(52.15 KiB) Downloaded 791 times
Faello

Post by Faello »

Challenging (Champion), 1.9.6, no saves/reloads, 238 starting gold

Li'sar (Princess) occupies a (NE) fort, and has a decent fixed income and 280gp for initial reruits (mostly lvl1 cavalry mixed with some ogres and a red mage or two), later Li'sar recruits more pikemen, swordsmen, ogres and cavalry. Initiative in this battle can be taken easily by holding the location called "Elmar's Crossing" with some units - this way AI army will be forced to attack through the river and such offensive can be easily repelled by a mix of loyal veteran units and some lvl1 fodder - elvish fighters and archers, shamans are very useful in this scenario too. It's also a good decision to recruit a few merfolk units to support the attack and capture the villages on the shore.

From time to time Li'sar receives some reinforcements (total worth +/- 380gp until turn 15) but they're coming to the battlefield gradually and are usually easy to deal with aside from the final wave (150gp after attacking her units on the (E) side of the map). Finished this scenario in turn 15/25.

6 losses, 37 kills

Crystal clear.

There's not a single reason why should Konrad let Li'sar go away, since she's also a pretender to the title. She should be either captured and hold as prisoner and she should escape from the captivity later for sake of the story - letting her go is a foolish choice, I'm amused that wise Delfador had nothing against it :mrgreen:

Reaching Li'sar with my casters.

It's a good scenario and I like this map.

Change the storyline. Letting Li'sar go and trusting her words is incredibly naive.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.

Replay attached:
Attachments
The Princess of Wesnoth replay Challenging (Champion) difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads
(51.04 KiB) Downloaded 868 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Faello wrote:There's not a single reason why should Konrad let Li'sar go away, since she's also a pretender to the title. She should be either captured and hold as prisoner and she should escape from the captivity later for sake of the story - letting her go is a foolish choice, I'm amused that wise Delfador had nothing against it :mrgreen:
Change the storyline. Letting Li'sar go and trusting her words is incredibly naive.
I think there's something called a seductively beautiful girl? Considering that the main characters are not women but a naive boy, an old man, and a licentious elf...
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Why did I find this level easy? I overwhelmed her with my Calvery horde, but I'm stuck on the next level....
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

Faello wrote:There's not a single reason why should Konrad let Li'sar go away, since she's also a pretender to the title. She should be either captured and hold as prisoner and she should escape from the captivity later for sake of the story - letting her go is a foolish choice, I'm amused that wise Delfador had nothing against it :mrgreen:
+1000

Probably she can make an impression that she beleives Konrad's story, and offers her help in finding a way to the north... But at the beginning of the next scenario the party finds she's gone, and hordes of undead are coming
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

podbelski wrote:
+1000

Probably she can make an impression that she beleives Konrad's story, and offers her help in finding a way to the north... But at the beginning of the next scenario the party finds she's gone, and hordes of undead are coming
I assumed Konrad was a naive prat and Delfadoor went along with it, assuming Li'sar wasn't a threat now
Skaithe

Post by Skaithe »

v1.9.7 - Champion - Challenging

Quite clear.

I agree with the sentiment that letting Li'sar go was a terrible idea. I don't think we should be forced. Three options, Kill, release, prisoner -- giving alternate story paths. Slight pain in the ass to do but worth it in my opinion.

Only issue I can remembered is that I had Kalenz lone on the back lines liberating villages while the others were way ahead and when the event triggered the duelists, he was in deep doo-doo. I had to send the merman (I had luckily recalled) back to barely bail him out in the knick of time.

Option to kill, release or capture Li'sar.
Attachments
(39.67 KiB) Downloaded 821 times
vodot

Post by vodot »

1. Difficulty: Challenging (hard); 1.8.6; my first campaign; 310g.
2. Challenge: 3.
3. Clarity: 10. Murder, Death, Kill.
4. Dialog: 0. Guys, what. Is. The deal. I volunteer!
5. Obstacles: Economics, dealing with the fencer trio in the south, taking down powerful units on open ground, getting the resistance/strength comparisons figured out.
6. Enjoyment: 5. Great scenario. Ludicrous dialog and ending.
7. Changes: Rewrite. Something explanatory has to happen at the end, if The Princess has to remain free for some reason. I would love to see the Kill/Capture/Release option, with some consequences (not necessarily required to be the fulfillment of the player's choice...).
8. Restarts: None.
Attachments
(34.29 KiB) Downloaded 756 times