Burning Souls

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkyOne

Re: Burning Souls

Post by SkyOne »

kele wrote:I just have ended the campaign. It was interesting. Will you plan to internationalize it? I made some translations, and think to translate your campaign, but didn't find the po-file.
Pewskeepski, kele is an excellent translator, so you cannot miss this chance.:)
All you need is probably just to make translate="true" on your pbl file, then update your campaign on the server. After that, to have a feeling of many thanks to trangan and ivanovic, and to wait a while. Those are what kele needs to translate your campaign.:wink:
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

kele wrote:I just have ended the campaign. It was interesting. Will you plan to internationalize it? I made some translations, and think to translate your campaign, but didn't find the po-file.
OK, I uploaded a new version which should be translatable.

Thank you very much, Kele, and thank you SkyOne for the help :)
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
kele

Post by kele »

Thank you, guys!

There will be winter, so i am searching for some work;)
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Burning Souls version 1.4.6 has been uploaded!

This version contains huge, ground breaking changes! Check out the first post for more :)
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Scenario 8: The Empty Nest
(1) Version and difficulty? 1.9.9, 1.4.4, hard
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 4
(3) Objectives? Okay.
(4) Dialog? Okay.
(5) Challenges? Just need to avoid doing anything stupid.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 7
(7) Changes? None.
(8) Recap? I pretty much just sailed through. I guess this scenario has already been changed, but I played this a while ago.

Scenario 9: Dwarves of Dorth
(1) Version and difficulty? 1.9.9, 1.4.6, hard
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 6
(3) Objectives? Okay.
(4) Dialog? Okay.
(5) Challenges? Keeping the allied leader alive is difficult.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 8
(7) Changes? This scenario seems in need of redesign. It's too easy to kill the enemy leader with the Dragon. And it's too easy for the allied leader to get taken out by a berserker, as happened on my first play.
(8) Recap? I sent most of my troops into the middle, falling back at night. When the Dragon appeared, I sent him to kill the enemy leader. Game over. Meanwhile, the allied leader was critically wounded but shielded by my troops. It would have been interesting to see him complete his escape.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Burning Souls 1.4.7 is uploaded!

This release fixes all (I hope) spelling mistakes. Looking on the wiki, I discovered the [sound_source] tag, and have been making good use of it! I also took Maiklas3000's suggeston and made it harder to kill the dwarf leader.
Evander

Post by Evander »

Finished this recently.

I will say that campaign is like 7/10, because it is sometimes boring.

What I disliked:
- it seems that all drakes on the island are thick and aggressive sort of football-fan type of a person
- when I killed Kai before the finale it reappeared in finale. perhaps some dialogues to fix this or saying that he just dived in to the water to avoid death would be nice?
- no info that you won't be able to recruit saurians on the next scenario, BUT you can recall all your saurians once you reach the island.
- kinda missing some more storyline background as so far it is almost 'come and kill' type of campaign
- scenario with wounded general and merfolk was somewhat weird compared to the others

What I liked:
+ well it is always good to be able to play drakes and saurians, as these factions are somewhat ignored in main story line
+ saurian healers that kept my units alive during finale
+ drake abilities can be fully used in this campaign. namely, hurricane drakes and their fast moving. Killed the boss in finale by moving my drakes behind him and waiting for the rest of his units to move away. Took some waiting but otherwise very gratifying
+ few missions with different objectives, like keep allied leader alive or carry the eggs to allied leader were nice indeed
+ random units spawn on some maps

So to sum this up:
Good for having drakes and saurians, but basically it seems to be lacking the proper "feeling" and drama.
Characters are difficult to like or dislike, apart from ancient lich. Fire Guardian is particularly [censored], and does not have any extra dialogues during the adventure.
Campaign plays nice but really fails to raise some more emotions.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Thanks for playing :)
Evander wrote:- it seems that all drakes on the island are thick and aggressive sort of football-fan type of a person
I tried to make them seem more aggressive than humans and elves, but not nearly as savage as orcs. Drakes are usually known as intelligent mighty warriors who don't take kindly to anybody who invades their home.
Evander wrote:- when I killed Kai before the finale it reappeared in finale. perhaps some dialogues to fix this or saying that he just dived in to the water to avoid death would be nice?
Nope, that's a bug. I'll fix it soon.
Evander wrote:- no info that you won't be able to recruit saurians on the next scenario, BUT you can recall all your saurians once you reach the island.
I've been thinking about making the saurians go with you via the human ships. But I'm not sure if that's lore friendly - Is there any reason why saurians wouldn't be able to pilot ships? Them being recallable is a bug so I'll either fix it, or make them commandeer the ships.
Evander wrote:- kinda missing some more storyline background as so far it is almost 'come and kill' type of campaign
Agreed. I think I have gotten better in the writing department since I originally made this so I might rewrite some of the story sections to be more in-depth.
Evander wrote:- scenario with wounded general and merfolk was somewhat weird compared to the others
Why was it? Some elaboration here would be helpful.
Evander

Post by Evander »

Pewskeepski wrote:Thanks for playing :)
thanks for making it :)
I've been thinking about making the saurians go with you via the human ships. But I'm not sure if that's lore friendly - Is there any reason why saurians wouldn't be able to pilot ships? Them being recallable is a bug so I'll either fix it, or make them commandeer the ships.
the only reasons why the saurians don't have an empire of their own is their tribal society and of course interference from other races.
basically saurians should be able to pilot a ships, to say even more - they would make awesome pirates :)
Evander wrote:- scenario with wounded general and merfolk was somewhat weird compared to the others
Why was it? Some elaboration here would be helpful.
most of scenarios give you some time and average amount of enemies to deal with.

scenario with general gives you like 15 turn and a swarm of merfolks basically out of the blue (even more, considering it is somewhere in the seas), like they had a legions waiting for their leaders to be beaten and wesnoth general to be wounded.
see, Kai and that other merfolk leader spawn that amount of units during like 40 turns in previous scenarios :)

it was a subjective feeling and possibly no one else will agreed with that, so you don't have to bother with it so much :)
-stf-

Post by -stf- »

hi, please remove all occurences of "userdata/" from paths in your addon(s), otherwise the addon(s) is(are) not working properly on filesystems, that don't use this directory (i.e. it's ".wesnoth/" for linux). This directory is added to the path automatically by the engine, depending on the used configuration directory.
One example:

Code: Select all

userdata/data/add-ons/Burning_Souls/images/farnorth.png
should be

data/add-ons/Burning_Souls/images/farnorth.png
to work properly on all filesystems/operating systems (in this case map is not visible due to following error: "error display: could not open image 'userdata/data/add-ons/Burning_Souls/images/farnorth.png'" because it's in "~/.wesnoth-1.10/data/add-ons/Burning_Souls/images/farnorth.png", "~/.wesnoth-1.10" is my wesnoth 1.10 config-dir and "~/.wesnoth-1.8.6" is my wesnoth 1.8.6 config-dir)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

So, I finished playing this campaign on Wesnoth 1.10.1 / Windows 7. There are some bugs that I found:
1) I always get this warning:

Invalid WML found: 'C:/Users/admin/Documents/My Games/Wesnoth1.10/data/add-ons/Burning_Souls.cfg' is deprecated, use 'C:/Users/admin/Documents/My Games/Wesnoth1.10/data/add-ons/Burning_Souls/_main.cfg' instead.
2) All the custom images are not shown. For this reason, I ran wmllint and wmlscope, and here there are their outputs:
Spoiler:
3) This code, at line 998 in the scenario 14 - Burning Souls, caused Kezek first to say that the Drakes still had to kill the Mermen, and then (since I already killed both Merman leaders) I immeditaly won:

[if]
					# Unless the merfolk are still alive
					[have_unit]
						race=merman
					[/have_unit]
					[then]
						[message]
							speaker=Kezek
							message= _ "We have defeated the undead, my friends, but this battle is not yet over; We still have to root out these blasted merfolk! So lets get to it, FOR GARISH!!"
						[/message]
					[/then]
IMHO, it's better to replace the [have_unit] with two [have_unit], one for Kai Fagriz and one for Lorictra.
4) Again in that scenario, when Rushevik moves in one of the western villages and the Humans appear, the message "Wait... I think someone’s here" is not shown. Maybe it's intentional (at least he could roar?), but I'm pretty sure that the same issue happens if the Fire Guardian moves there.
Finally, two small suggestions:
  • do you think that it may be useful making Rushevik loyal?
  • since Qwunvon is so badly wounded in the Close to Kill scenario, what about giving him the unhealable status?
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

-stf- wrote:hi, please remove all occurences of "userdata/" from paths in your addon(s), otherwise the addon(s) is(are) not working properly on filesystems, that don't use this directory (i.e. it's ".wesnoth/" for linux). This directory is added to the path automatically by the engine, depending on the used configuration directory.
One example:

userdata/data/add-ons/Burning_Souls/images/farnorth.png
should be

data/add-ons/Burning_Souls/images/farnorth.png
to work properly on all filesystems/operating systems (in this case map is not visible due to following error: "error display: could not open image 'userdata/data/add-ons/Burning_Souls/images/farnorth.png'" because it's in "~/.wesnoth-1.10/data/add-ons/Burning_Souls/images/farnorth.png", "~/.wesnoth-1.10" is my wesnoth 1.10 config-dir and "~/.wesnoth-1.8.6" is my wesnoth 1.8.6 config-dir)
:doh: That never occurred to me until now. THANK YOU for reporting! I believe it's fixed now.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:So, I finished playing this campaign on Wesnoth 1.10.1 / Windows 7. There are some bugs that I found:
1) I always get this warning:

Invalid WML found: 'C:/Users/admin/Documents/My Games/Wesnoth1.10/data/add-ons/Burning_Souls.cfg' is deprecated, use 'C:/Users/admin/Documents/My Games/Wesnoth1.10/data/add-ons/Burning_Souls/_main.cfg' instead.
I don't know what that is... I have a _main.cfg file in there but do I need another one when uploading it to the server?
Elvish_Hunter wrote:2) All the custom images are not shown. For this reason, I ran wmllint and wmlscope, and here there are their outputs:
Spoiler:
Assuming that is the same problem -stf- had, I believe I have fixed it for the next release.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:3) This code, at line 998 in the scenario 14 - Burning Souls, caused Kezek first to say that the Drakes still had to kill the Mermen, and then (since I already killed both Merman leaders) I immeditaly won:

[if]
					# Unless the merfolk are still alive
					[have_unit]
						race=merman
					[/have_unit]
					[then]
						[message]
							speaker=Kezek
							message= _ "We have defeated the undead, my friends, but this battle is not yet over; We still have to root out these blasted merfolk! So lets get to it, FOR GARISH!!"
						[/message]
					[/then]
IMHO, it's better to replace the [have_unit] with two [have_unit], one for Kai Fagriz and one for Lorictra.
Thanks for reporting! I'll leave it as one [have_unit] tag but have it check to see if Fagriz or Lorictra is alive instead of checking for any mermen.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:4) Again in that scenario, when Rushevik moves in one of the western villages and the Humans appear, the message "Wait... I think someone’s here" is not shown. Maybe it's intentional (at least he could roar?), but I'm pretty sure that the same issue happens if the Fire Guardian moves there.
I probably meant that as intentional. But him roaring is a good suggestion :)
Elvish_Hunter wrote:Finally, two small suggestions:
  • do you think that it may be useful making Rushevik loyal?
  • since Qwunvon is so badly wounded in the Close to Kill scenario, what about giving him the unhealable status?
Rushevik isn't loyal because, IMO, that would make him overpowered. I mean, he's a freakin' level 5 dragon with the leadership ability; I think that is enough awesomeness for one unit :)

Qwunvon can heal from villages simply to add a more realistic feel. He's been critically wounded but the mermen are buying him some time by holding off the drakes while he gets treatment at the villages. Besides that, it makes taking him down harder.
vicente

Post by vicente »

I just finished the entire campaign on hard (wesnoth 1.10.1, version 1.4.8 ). Drakes are not easy to play with, but I am glad that I enjoy playing most of the scenarios.
There are two bugs I want to report.
In the scenario "The Empty Nest",when a unit steps on the castle, it says: "Hmm... Nobody's here." However, during my play, it was a gryphon stepped on the castle. It is odd that a gryphon would speak to a drake, so I would suggest to use a filter to make sure that the event is only triggered when a drake steps on the castle.
In the scenario "Reinforcements needed", one object is to bring 4 out of 5 eggs back to the keep (neat idea). However, after bringing back 4 eggs, when I left the last egg to the humans, I got an instant defeat. :doh: Maybe, the object should change to bring all eggs back.
The traits for Kezek are "strong" and "quick". Due to the poor defense of drakes, Kezek is quite easily to get killed at level 1. I would suggest to change his traits to "resilient" and "quick".
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

vicente wrote:I just finished the entire campaign on hard (wesnoth 1.10.1, version 1.4.8 ). Drakes are not easy to play with, but I am glad that I enjoy playing most of the scenarios.
There are two bugs I want to report.
In the scenario "The Empty Nest",when a unit steps on the castle, it says: "Hmm... Nobody's here." However, during my play, it was a gryphon stepped on the castle. It is odd that a gryphon would speak to a drake, so I would suggest to use a filter to make sure that the event is only triggered when a drake steps on the castle.
Yep, that would be a bug. Thanks, I'll fix it soon :)
vicente wrote:In the scenario "Reinforcements needed", one object is to bring 4 out of 5 eggs back to the keep (neat idea). However, after bringing back 4 eggs, when I left the last egg to the humans, I got an instant defeat. :doh: Maybe, the object should change to bring all eggs back.
That's another bug which will soon be fixed. But I was just thinking it'd be a good idea to give the player a bonus if he saves all 5 eggs. Currently you don't, although you can. You're only required to get up to 4 depending on the difficulty.
vicente wrote:The traits for Kezek are "strong" and "quick". Due to the poor defense of drakes, Kezek is quite easily to get killed at level 1. I would suggest to change his traits to "resilient" and "quick".
Good suggestion. I know I definitely don't want to remove 'quick' due to scenarios like "Reinforcements needed" where you have to trudge across lots of deep water. But I suppose 'resilient' would be better than 'strong', especially in scenarios where Kezek is forced onto poor terrain.
vicente

Post by vicente »

Hi Pewskeepski, the last scenario may need a little revision as well. I managed to kill Qwunvon in turn 3, and the rest was quite easy. :roll: I even waited until turn 6 to pick up the ankh, and still did not lose any drake units.
One problem is that Qwunvon's trait is "quick". You may want to give him either "strong" or "resilient" as well.
If you look at my reply, you can see that Qwunvon ran into the unfortunate hex (27,8), and was attacked by three drakes in one turn. At least based on my reply, this would be prevented by setting hex (27,8) as hills, and hex (25,8) as flat. In that case, I have to recruit fast drakes to block the way first.
Also the undead recruited by Mal-Velekal attacked and killed himself. From the dialog, it seems like that this should not happen, as the lich says: "And afterwards, my magic shall grow strong enough that I'll be able to make my minions immune to it's power!"

The reply of the last scenario is attached below.
Attachments
BS-Burning_Souls_replay.gz
(62.35 KiB) Downloaded 294 times