Scenario 7: Crossroads

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bluwater94

Re: Scenario Review: Crossroads

Post by bluwater94 »

well i have an issue for some reason on version 1.6.2 my leader (konrad) randomly turned invisible!!! when i leved him up!!! someone help me cz i dont like not being able to see him..
abi

Post by abi »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
hard, version 1.6.4
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
2 when sticking to the main roads only, 7 when trying to find those hidden units and fight them!
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
very clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
interesting
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
no problems, but the challenges arise when you try to uncover the units in ambush; tried 3 times until have been able to finish the scenario and to uncover and kill half of the hidden units
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7 -- it is real fun to uncover those hidden units
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
when the orc leader to the south dies, all hidden units enraged by their warchief's death should come out and fight! orcs are not of a clever kind, are they?
frank11

Post by frank11 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(an old version...) - easy, 1.7.7 - medium

11. Without touching the hills, I'm surrounded by orcs by turn 8. See attached pic. Maybe the ambush is broken?

clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear, not very interesting

The enemy forces are overwhelming and don't hold back

7 when it works, 0 now that I'm stuck

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Fix the ambushing. It seems to be broken in the current build
Attachments
overload.png
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

frank11 wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Fix the ambushing. It seems to be broken in the current build
Already fixed. You can use the fixed scenario file until 1.7.8 comes out.
frank11

Post by frank11 »

Cool. Thanks for the quick reply. Go ahead and delete my post(s) if this needs to be a review-only thread.
roman_sharp

Post by roman_sharp »

Normal, 1.8.2-1.8.3

Crystal clear.

Good.

Not to go into attack on the strong enemy leader at night, to fear of the hills.

None. It's pretty good, I think.
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

Medium, 1.6

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?

No problem!

They were ok.

Avoiding ambushes or springing them at the right time. Mostly the problem that an ambushed unit can't do anything.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
5 - Ambushes make an otherwise boring battle interesting. Once the southern gentleman is toast, it's time to go XP-hunting!

Explain why Orcs have laid so many traps and not broken cover in the middle of the fight.
Acqsen

Re: Scenario 7: Crossroads

Post by Acqsen »

(1) difficulty and version
Medium 1.8.4

9 (several retries, almost gave up)

very clear

not much story here, walk in, walk out.

no known strategy to apply, had to use brute force (20 units all together) see pictures for results

6 - chalenge is good

-Completely random ambush, meaning every hill has a x% to reveal a hidden unit
or -Force ambushers to wander randomly 1 square/turn
or -Change the ambushers to neutral, wild ogres maybe. Attack anyone to step on them.
Other sugested changes:
-Limit south city to one type of units only? wolfriders maybe?
Attachments
WesnothCrossroadsEnd.jpg
Orcus_Christ

Post by Orcus_Christ »

Content Feedback wrote: (1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(1) Medium. 1.8
(2) 5.
(3) Very clear.
(4) It was okay. The two units warning you to stay out of the hills were a nice touch.
(5) None. I was able to win with brute force.
(6) 5. The ambushes were interesting.
(7) It's fine.
GagarinGambit

Post by GagarinGambit »

Hard, 1.8.4

5, average

Very clear

It's nothing special.

Avoiding ambushes

3. The "stay in the path or get ambushed" rule is too restrictive for my taste, although it's supposed to be most of the fun (I chose to go straight for the north-eastern leader, so I had to use two turns worth of troops in a very small space). And other than the ambushes, there's nothing special about this scenario.

I understand that the ambush idea is a key element of this scenario, so no change, it's only a matter of taste and others seem to like it.
Linux. Space technology.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.9.4, Normal

2, but only because I wanted to avoid losses AND take out both leaders

Clear

Fine.

What challenges?

6 – nothing special. Trying to take out both leaders made things a bit more fun, or it would have been 5 at most

I think it’s fine as it is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.

Thoughts:
I saw this scenario as a chance to level up some more units, so I decided to divide my forces in two and take out both leaders. I started cautiously – perhaps too cautiously – but that allowed me to engage the orcs on my terms and the ambushes were little more than free experience (some of them were not even annoying). At one time – due to bad placement combined with some bad luck – Delfador almost got killed. Apart from that I had no real trouble – not even the level 3 orc leader at the end. Overall a nice breather scenario.
Attachments
HttT-Crossroads_replay.gz
(39.64 KiB) Downloaded 799 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty level and version? Challenging (hard); 1.9.5; 277 starting gold
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 6
(3) How clear? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Okay.
(5) Challenges? Keeping loyals alive, dealing with flanking wolves, being forced into bad terrain.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 7
(7) Changes? None.
(8) Restarts/reloads? Restarted from start after death of loyal.

Replay attached. If you're having difficulty with this scenario, try not rushing down one or both roads; instead set up a defensive perimeter like so:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Attachments
(47.25 KiB) Downloaded 768 times
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Maiklas3000 wrote: (5) Challenges? Keeping loyals alive, dealing with flanking wolves, being forced into bad terrain.
(8) Restarts/reloads? Restarted from start after death of loyal.

Replay attached. If you're having difficulty with this scenario, try not rushing down one or both roads;
yep. while it is an out of game hint, you *really* need strong loyal units in the scenario that follows. the first time i played this one i charged south and killed the leader there quickly but also lost some good units and didnt take time to advance low level ones.
and i look forward to see how you tackle no.8, i had trouble with it in every new version
Faello

Post by Faello »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

Challenging (Champion), 1.9.6, no saves/reloads, 349 starting gold

6. <for killing both leaders>

It's a quite complicated scenario - player has a lot of gold from Elensefar, but orcish ambushes and lvl1 units spam + initial lack of the initiative in the battle force him to play cautiously thus the progress is significantly slower than somebody could predict by looking only at the map and force strenght.

Kojun Herolm (Orcish Warlord, blue, [E] castle) has 190gp and an ok income that he uses to spam lvl1 units. His ally, Mokho Kimer (Orcish Warrior, green, castle) has 150gp and does the same thing. The best way to prepare yourself before the next pitched battle scenario - The Princess of Wesnoth - is to go straight against Kojun Herolm after winning the initial battle, protect your flank and kill the warlord to grab as much gold as it is possible to grab from this scenario. Still, I wanted to milk a bit more of xp points from the orcs to patch the xp-gap created by the 05b: Isle of the Damned and I decided to kill both leaders, which wasn't that hard, yet demanded patience.

HINT (1): Two loyal units join players forces in this scenario - elvish fighter and elvish archer. Elvish fighter joins player after he will capture the 3,15 village, and archer - when he will capture 12,11 village. First unit that player will discover gains the "quick" trait, second - "resilient" trait. I want some loyal, quick commander on the field aside from Konrad, so I decided to discover elvish fighter first.

HINT (2): Villages are usually unprotected by the ambushing units so it's safe to capture them. I didn't know that and ended this scenario with a large negative amount of gp's :mrgreen:

Finished this one in turn 21/31.

4 losses, 54 kills

Crystal clear.

They're ok.

Creating a safe defensive lines on the 40% terrain and killing orcs simultaneusly.

It's a well designed scenario, but it's another one after the exhausting The Siege of Elensefar on which tactical choices are somewhat forced upon the player.

No changes required, it's good as it is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No saves/reloads, but I had to restart when my loyal unit died once.

Replay attached:
Attachments
Crossroads, Challenging (Champion) difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads
(51.72 KiB) Downloaded 758 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
Skaithe

Post by Skaithe »

v1.9.7 - Champion - Challenging

Simple enough. i suppose you only had to defeat the one enemy leader because that was the direction you're headed in. I killed them both before realizing I only needed to kill one.Imagine my chagrin when one survived to tell the queen of my plans, I made sure to kill them all. :P

Nothing terribly interesting. Bust through.

Avoiding the ambushes, you wanna leave the path so badly sometimes.

A bonus for killing both enemies.