Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

dwarftough

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by dwarftough »

Okay, so in 1.17 LotI stopped working. Need to investigate what changed with Lua or what else could break it
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
Zolm

Post by Zolm »

dwarftough wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 9:37 pm Okay, so in 1.17 LotI stopped working. Need to investigate what changed with Lua or what else could break it
open lua\utils.lua and change line 10 from this

setmetatable(copy, wesnoth.deepcopy(getmetatable(orig)) )

to this

setmetatable(copy, {wesnoth.deepcopy(getmetatable(orig))} )
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Zolm wrote: July 1st, 2022, 11:59 pm
dwarftough wrote: June 22nd, 2022, 9:37 pm Okay, so in 1.17 LotI stopped working. Need to investigate what changed with Lua or what else could break it
open lua\utils.lua and change line 10 from this

setmetatable(copy, wesnoth.deepcopy(getmetatable(orig)) )

to this

setmetatable(copy, {wesnoth.deepcopy(getmetatable(orig))} )
Thanks, that helps a lot. Still had to play the tutorial, but at least it works.

Other stuff encountered in chapter 1 on 1.17.5...

In tutorial, at one point, right click "Items" menu is listed as "wml_menu:3dropping". The Assassination: On turn one, both Items and Help menu have simliar issue. (This will continue on and off throughout chapter 1, at least).

Unit Information resist and defend tables - formatting is off.

"WML: Couldn't find right animation for unit Efraim" Also for Mario. Not Lethalia. Taking an item seems to be a good way to trigger this. I didn't see this until
late in scenario 1 (really easy to reproduce in Long Way Home). Taking an AMLA also seems to work to reproduce, at least for Ef.

Lethargy doesn't seem to do anything. See attached, using Mario. Every once in awhile, I'll see a message which is probably something about -1 damage (goes by too fast to read), but that's very rare. I first noticed this when it didn't seem to be affecting me when I was attacked by it (has it ever?).

The Battle for Ogira seemed much more difficult than usual, though I'll admit I played it rather timidly whereas I usually play it very aggressively (I suspect the reason the city was being overwhelmed was because I didn't take the fight to the enemy). I almost didn't play it, as there seems to be something going on, probably with 1.17, with respect to unit animations (don't quote me on the term, I know that's a specific term in BFW and I may not be using it right). Often, when one of my units move, it's very slow. For example, when Lethalia flies over some lava, she moves one tile, changes direction (looks to the left or right, alternating each tile), pauses for a slight moment, then moves to the next tile. It's annoyingly slow. All my preferences seem to be set the same as in 1.14/16.

Log file is also attached for no particular reason, save it may be of some use to someone.
Attachments
wesnoth-20220701-221456-7772.log.gz
(3.29 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
LotI1-Ruins of Lost Empires-Mario-Lethargy.gz
(379.64 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
SlendySalty

Post by SlendySalty »

Hey, i just wanted to know if there is a way to use the item system of LotI in a default or custom campaign, i think there was a add-on that did something like this but it appears that it was removed from the game or something. I really like the item system and wanted to play other campaigns with it.
white_haired_uncle

So, I finished Part I (well, I skipped about half of the last part of ch 5 -- but still won on turn 7 using only a few units) on 1.17.5/3.2.7.87. In general, not a lot of errors.

However, performance was absolutely horrible in many places. The last scenario, for example, took about 30 minutes per turn. The number of enemy units was definitely a factor sometimes (examples from First Confrontation attached), but that's not all of it. In some scenarios with few enemies, your units move "normally" (similar to what I've seen in previous versions). In other similar scenarios, it takes about a second or so for every unit to move a single tile. I haven't been able to come up with a theory on what is different. Another example attached (I also saved all of the start of scenario saves, in case anyone wants them for troubleshooting). [UPDATE: I'm over halfway through Across the Barren Land, and I've seen NO indication of any slowdown at all in Part II. UPDATE2: Everything was going fine until the beginning of Search for Elves, when I popped out to mow the lawn. When I came back, it was zoomed all the way out, and insisted on constantly scrolling to the far right. After restarting, it's slow. With the game sitting idle and focus on my units taskmangler shows CPU ~=20% and GPU ~=40%. If I move focus to a part of the map covered by shroud, CPU drops to near 0, while GPU rises to ~=60%. Old, outdated version of win10, BTW (it's windows, so it's not allowed net access, so no updates in years)].

The Pit: says early finish bonus. Not.

Is the crafting menu "broke"? It seems to me that in recent versions when you were crafting an armor, it used to show the difference between resistances for an actual (chest) armor and other items. For example, when crafting Mastadon, it would show " Increase physical resistances by 20%" when crafting armor, and "Increase physical resistances by 6%" when crafting boots. Now it just shows 6% for any Mastadon armor item.

Mining: See attached for a lich with no name.

Mage of Light: You can no longer use a staff, but you can hold it for some benefits. This is treated differently than other similar outdated items for other units (you can switch staves, for example).

Staff of Crelanu in inventory: With two of them, they show up separately, unlike other items that would say "Staff of Crelanu (2)"

Lost in Space: I think I've mentioned this before, but Leth's dupes' explosive slow is not explosive against prince's troops.

The highlighting of attributes in the inventory isn't working anymore (when items in a set that benefit each other are held, or to be held, they used to be highlighted).

Maybe I remember incorrectly, but it seems like a lot of units I would expect to be loyal are not. Conner, Etheil, the Shadow Princess from Pirates, members of the Prison in ch5...

Malefactor (L3) levels up directly to level 5 units?

Manta has two legacies, one "aware" unlocks both. See attached for easy level up.

In scenarios like Soldiers' Quarters (kill 50 enemies), the status message often goes by faster than I can see it. And in 1.17 (I assume this is a 17 thing?), only a few percent of damage messages, etc, are even displayed. Could current status be placed in objectives? [though I still don't see the point of the "objectives"]

In inventory listings, items that begin with an article (a, an, or the) should be alphabetized properly. For example, The Generous Armour "starts" with G, not T.

Lots of these (mostly the first two) printed to the screen, starting around chapter 2:

warning deprecation: special= has been deprecated and may be removed at any time.; Please use special_id or special_type instead

info deprecation: wesnoth.get_time_of_day has been deprecated indefinitely.; The arguments have changed (Note: You should use wesnoth.schedule.get_time_of_day or wesnoth.schedule.get_illumination instead in new code)

info deprecation: wesnoth.fire has been deprecated indefinitely.; (Note: You should use wml.fire instead in new code)
Attachments
LotI1-SQ-level-Manta-2legacy.gz
(812.94 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
LotI1-Mining-Team5-lich.gz
(459.94 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
LotI1-First Confrontation-SLOW6.gz
(498.07 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
LotI1-First Confrontation-Better17.gz
(504.64 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
LotI1-Entrance-SLOW.gz
(1007.05 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

SlendySalty wrote: July 8th, 2022, 7:24 pm Hey, i just wanted to know if there is a way to use the item system of LotI in a default or custom campaign, i think there was a add-on that did something like this but it appears that it was removed from the game or something. I really like the item system and wanted to play other campaigns with it.
I personally require LotI as a dependency for my campaign and then directly use the (slightly modified) LotI item management system.
SlendySalty

Post by SlendySalty »

lhybrideur wrote: July 11th, 2022, 11:17 am
SlendySalty wrote: July 8th, 2022, 7:24 pm Hey, i just wanted to know if there is a way to use the item system of LotI in a default or custom campaign, i think there was a add-on that did something like this but it appears that it was removed from the game or something. I really like the item system and wanted to play other campaigns with it.
I personally require LotI as a dependency for my campaign and then directly use the (slightly modified) LotI item management system.
How did you manage to use the (slightly modified) LotI item management system, on your campaign? I imagine that it has more to do with coding than a specific setting, i wanted to play other campaigns with this system, do you know if is there someone here who made like, a guide to put the system in any campaign or is it not compatible for some reason?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

SlendySalty wrote: July 11th, 2022, 9:25 pm
lhybrideur wrote: July 11th, 2022, 11:17 am
How did you manage to use the (slightly modified) LotI item management system, on your campaign? I imagine that it has more to do with coding than a specific setting, i wanted to play other campaigns with this system, do you know if is there someone here who made like, a guide to put the system in any campaign or is it not compatible for some reason?
You can check Invincibles Conquest II or Legends of Idaamub, which takes the LotI item/inventory management system into their own usage. I think it's doable by adjusting the main.cfg file of the campaign or using a modification add-on of sorts.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

SlendySalty wrote: July 11th, 2022, 9:25 pm
You will need to link several things:
  1. main.lua

Code: Select all

[lua]
        code = <<
        wesnoth.dofile("~add-ons/Legends_of_Idaamub/lua/main.lua")
        >>
    [/lua]
    in your ifdef CAMPAIGN_YOUR_CAMPAIGN in main.cfg
  2. LotI binary path

[binary_path]
        path=data/add-ons/Legend_of_the_Invincibles/
    [/binary_path]

at the same place
  3. LotI utils

{~add-ons/Legend_of_the_Invincibles/utils}
    {~add-ons/your_campaign/utils}
    at the same place
    The second line will be used to load the file from point 5
  4. data_loader unit

[+units]
        {~add-ons/Legend_of_the_Invincibles/units/data_loaders.cfg}
    [/units]

at the same place
    If I understand well, this one will load everything at the beginning of each scenario.
  5. item list
    Finally a file called whatever containing your item list which is a copy of item_list.cfg from LotI but containing your items.
    It must start with

#undef DEFAULT_DROP_ITEM X Y WEAPONS
    #define DEFAULT_DROP_ITEM X Y WEAPONS

instead of only the second line to overload LotI item list.
    You also need to add #undef ITEM_LIST before #define ITEM_LIST for the same reason.
And that should be it. If you want to change more things you can tweak the files but it is complicated.
I did it in my campaign (shield instead of cloak, no gem, no craft) and now I have many files from the item management system of LotI that have their own version specific to my campaign.
white_haired_uncle

FWIW, The Beautiful Child and Affably Evil both use the LotI inventory system.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

white_haired_uncle wrote: July 13th, 2022, 7:10 am
I need to mention that they are LotI sequel/prequel and do not exist on 1.16, so their item management system is outdated wrt the one of LotI
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

lhybrideur wrote: July 13th, 2022, 11:41 am
I need to mention that they are LotI sequel/prequel and do not exist on 1.16, so their item management system is outdated wrt the one of LotI
Kill the King is there, on 1.16, and have the same system
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
white_haired_uncle

lhybrideur wrote: July 13th, 2022, 11:41 am
They may be missing some of the latest tweaks, bells, and whistles, but they do use the new item system, and what differences there are from the latest are pretty much trivial for a user who simply wants to investigate more of the LotI world.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

white_haired_uncle wrote: July 15th, 2022, 5:21 am They may be missing some of the latest tweaks, bells, and whistles, but they do use the new item system, and what differences there are from the latest are pretty much trivial for a user who simply wants to investigate more of the LotI world.
I would say it depends if one want to only use the system or tweak it.
The system looks the same, but the code is quite different.
white_haired_uncle

Some notes from chapters 6-8 (1.17.5). Mostly at least, no way I'm going to play things like Jungle Hell when my units move about 1 tile per second, each. Chapter 9 (like 5) I find to be a huge letdown, building a massive army I'll have no use for. And chapter 10, well, no offense, but I think someone just took all of the scenarios that suck and moved them there.

No showstoppers, or anything close, found, just some basic cleanup.....

caeo spear: +40% attacks (current 4 == base 2+1+1 from other items) doesn't increase? Pick up with prophet. I can never keep track of what stacks with what, and how, nor have I found any pattern of consistency.

I'm getting XP (== enemy level) for using redeem (in Tundra, at least)

Hey, I gave Krux the Precious Eagle Cactus Fruit (+40 heal), but he's only healing his standard +4!

Killed the dracolich with my battlerager in Path to Glory, but got no XP. Pretty sure I've seen this before. Also, it resets to turn 1, but my units don't recover their movement. [BTW, said battleranger has deathblade inheritance and demon core. While the deathblades don't tend to last very long, at least until halfway through The Reckoning, this turns out to be a rather useful (accidental) combination].

Should the effects of frail tide show up in unit information (YES!)? See attached. See also despair (at least). This would REALLY be helpful, especially against the uber-bosses.

Enemy H.I. demon has blazing, but no explosive fireball attack. Darn.

error image: could not open image 'units/nagas/fighter.png'
error image: could not open image 'units/nagas/myrmidon.png'
error image: could not open image 'icons/profiles/lightning.png'
error image: could not open image 'units/nagas/fighter-melee-1.png'
error image: could not open image 'units/nagas/fighter-melee-2.png'
error image: could not open image 'units/nagas/fighter-defend-1.png'
error image: could not open image 'units/nagas/fighter-defend-2.png'
error image: could not open image 'units/human-outlaws/trapper-dagger.png'
error image: could not open image 'units/human-outlaws/poacher-attack1.png'
error image: could not open image 'units/human-outlaws/poacher-attack2.png'
error display: could not find image for report: 'units/nagas/warrior.png~RC(magenta>purple)'

warning deprecation: placement=map_passable has been deprecated and may be removed at any time.; Please use placement=map and passable=yes instead

warning deprecation: [event]remove=yes has been deprecated and may be removed at any time.; Use [remove_event] instead of [event]remove=yes
Attachments
LotI2-YAOA-caeospear.gz
(404.84 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
rolltide.PNG