Introduce yourself here!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

aHoyshadow

Re: Introduce yourself here!

Post by aHoyshadow »

Forum Moderators Team wrote: November 25th, 2010, 1:59 am Hello, and welcome to the Battle for Wesnoth forums!

If you want to introduce yourself, this is the thread to do it!
Hoy.
Lord_bold

Post by Lord_bold »

Its time I stop lurking and talk.
I first played wesnoth in a raspberry-pi back in 2014, since it was one of the like 3 games available. I never would have thought it would turn out to be this great.
I made my account here in the forums a few years later to play online with friends- I introduced them to wesnoth, mind you.
This community is amazing and I would like to interact more with it, so here I am.

I am an all factions enjoyer, but particularly like drakes. And about any unit with charge :)
Sigrid94

Post by Sigrid94 »

My name is Ines. And I'm glad to be with the winning team. Looking forward to a great experience here.
Stereo

Post by Stereo »

Hello aHoyshadow, Lord_bold and Sigrid94! I'm relative new here too, good to see more people enjoying Wesnoth and wish you a good game.
LibreFaso

Post by LibreFaso »

We're (collectively) a small team trying to put into effect the LibreFaso project, which quite evolved with time.
The original idea was to pay tuitions to students from poor backgrounds in Burkina Faso in exchange for contributions to Free Software and culture.
Any people interested can follow it on gemini://librefaso.pollux.casa/ or the http mirror https://librefaso.pollux.casa/
The regular website, umanis.bf/libre, which had an English section (still a stub though) has been attacked due to poor security in the management of its hosting, and will be online again one day in the future I guess. Due to my own bad practice, I have no backup of the English section alas, so it'll have to be redone entirely (one day in the future, probably).

I am (personally) the internet-facing part of the project, for now at least.
I do play Battle for Wesnoth (though only in single player) and am pondering about Wesnoth being part of the contributions, but I try to not lean on the rest of the team on that topic (no reason to put my personal interest over the needs of the many).
So basically, nothing has been decided yet on that point.

We'd be interested in understanding what would be considered valid contributions by the Wesnoth community though.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

LibreFaso wrote: March 4th, 2022, 11:55 pm We'd be interested in understanding what would be considered valid contributions by the Wesnoth community though.
Hello LibreFaso,

If you or your team are looking to contribute on the coding side, check out https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth
There are some Issues labelled with Good first issue, they would be good "shallow water" to wade into.

Speaking for the Art Department, we always need help with sprite animations, best place to speak to that is either in the art forums here or a Pull Request on github. It can be a thankless task, but if anyone has a talent for it, we do offer commissions for animations. We'd need to negotiate the terms first so there is no misunderstanding.

If animations are too much drudge-work, we could use some icons (https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/tree ... ages/icons) or attack images (https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/tree ... es/attacks), basically whatever would fit the style and you'd like to see available. Even if there is no specific use-case for it yet.

For any quick discussions, try
IRC: irc://irc.wesnoth.org/#wesnoth-dev
or
Discord: https://discord.gg/battleforwesnoth
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
LibreFaso

Post by LibreFaso »

doofus-01 wrote: March 6th, 2022, 2:14 am
If you or your team are looking to contribute on the coding side, (...)

Speaking for the Art Department, we always need help with sprite animations, (...)

If animations are too much drudge-work, we could use some icons (...)
Thanks, these are valid information that we'll keep in mind for the time we have talented (and interested in Wesnoth) people.

Though, as the project is currently evolving more towards allowing kids that are currently unable to pay for school fees (and are out of the meager public system) to go back to school, we'd be interested in knowing which contributions from those not technical kids would be considered useful : testing new versions, creating maps, helping with map creation on user-generated maps, testing campaigns (which ones ?), creating campaigns, advancing lore,... (or whatever I didn't think about but is possible for a kid with some game experience but not advanced coding nor graphic design kid) ?

The idea is to let kids discover the game¹, and later (if they like the game) discover that they can help improve it, even if they don't have technical knowledge yet, as an introduction to contributing.
But since the idea is to let the kids discover that they can help in a useful way, we wouldn't want to have them (beyond the training phase) create maps and/or campaigns or write lore that will not be considered of any value by the Wesnoth community.

¹ games actually, as Wesnoth is not alone on the list - right now I'm thinking mostly of Wesnoth, FreeOrion, 0ad and Minetest (I don't actually play Minetest but someone in the team knows Minecraft and is willing to test Minetest).
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

LibreFaso wrote: March 6th, 2022, 9:12 am The idea is to let kids discover the game¹, and later (if they like the game) discover that they can help improve it, even if they don't have technical knowledge yet, as an introduction to contributing.
The easiest way to get started developing for Wesnoth is probably to learn how to create add-ons. One of the Wesnoth developers (beetlenaut) was teaching a course to some students and he wanted them to learn how to write code for Wesnoth, so he created an example campaign named WML Guide; it is designed as a gentle introduction to Wesnoth Markup Language which is used to implement scenarios and campaigns.

(You can see the campaigns that beetlenaut's students developed here and on the add-on server.)
LibreFaso

Post by LibreFaso »

gnombat wrote: March 6th, 2022, 1:24 pm The easiest way to get started developing for Wesnoth is probably to learn how to create add-ons. One of the Wesnoth developers (beetlenaut) was teaching a course to some students and he wanted them to learn how to write code for Wesnoth, so he created an example campaign named WML Guide; it is designed as a gentle introduction to Wesnoth Markup Language which is used to implement scenarios and campaigns.
Thanks ! That will be nice for an introduction to contribution indeed.
But what could be a way to check that the kids have made a valuable contribution ? Something that the community would acknowledge has brought something to the game, even if a very minor "something" ?
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

LibreFaso wrote: March 9th, 2022, 11:01 am But what could be a way to check that the kids have made a valuable contribution ? Something that the community would acknowledge has brought something to the game, even if a very minor "something" ?
New add-ons are generally always welcome; the more content available for the game, the better. But you might also want to post a new topic for the add-on(s) in the Scenario & Campaign Development forum and/or the Add-on Feedback forum to get feedback from the community.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

gnombat wrote: March 9th, 2022, 7:52 pm
LibreFaso wrote: March 9th, 2022, 11:01 am But what could be a way to check that the kids have made a valuable contribution ? Something that the community would acknowledge has brought something to the game, even if a very minor "something" ?
New add-ons are generally always welcome; the more content available for the game, the better. But you might also want to post a new topic for the add-on(s) in the Scenario & Campaign Development forum and/or the Add-on Feedback forum to get feedback from the community.
Lately, I have noticed most feedback gets thrown in the discord server's modding and general channels so you might check there as well for some campaign feedback. Not everyone is keen on opening an account here these days (unless you have to). There are also some occurrences of getting feedback directly at the Add-on's code repo or email.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
PoloLord

Post by PoloLord »

Olá sou o Polo sou novo aqui e se tiver alguém que possa me ajudar eu ficaria muito feliz e minha dúvida é a seguinte quero me conectar ao servidor oficial e jogar com outras pessoas se alguém poder me ajudar obrigado
Littles4Victory

Post by Littles4Victory »

Hey my user name is Littles4Victory and I love this game was introduced to it by my friend years ago and have been playing it off and on ever since. I have never been on the forums though. I signed up to play with brother over the servers.
traxdarkstorm

Post by traxdarkstorm »

Hello all.

Been playing this game for many years, mostly through various campaigns while I have been travelling/working in remote areas with poor internet connections.

The game has been an absolute lifeline and I really can say it has had a meaningful impact on me. Nowadays I run a YT channel with my brother and this is one of the games that I want to shed some light on and hopefully cultivate a following for.

Cheers
wertyu7878456

Post by wertyu7878456 »

I am wertyu7878456. The name seems like a bot but it is my first name on the internet by my friend's joke. I like strategy games and hope to make friends with people here.