Northern Rebirth Remake

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Wesbane

Re: Northern Rebirth Remake

Post by Wesbane »

Maikal wrote:[…] I'm afraid I don't have my replays saved, [...]
This fact confirms that you play for fun. :lol:
Maikal wrote:[…] I did ultimately have an army of undead bats from my necromancer's plague, [...]
Most go for liches as they perform better in combat. Replay would be definitely interesting to watch then. Especially from designer point of view since there are few players willing to experiment.
If you decide to provide more feedback in a future you may want to reconsider your save policy. :wink:
Maikal wrote:[...] Maybe add a sentence under the fourth sentence that says "Killing other enemy units will not reduce this score."
It will be added in next version which won't show up anytime soon.
MobRules

Post by MobRules »

How come the time limit for Old Friend is so short?

The goal is to either kill Raskash or level up five lawful human units within the 12 turns. I always lose on time just as I get the upper hand in the battle, and I can't figure out an in-game reason for the short timeframe. (Why does Talin admit defeat just as he's turned the tide to where he's winning??)

I think it would bother me less if there were a REASON given for it being so short. (Even then, I tend to dislike short time-frames, but that's just personal preference). The super-short timeframe with no in-game reason to justify it is doubly frustrating.

Edit:
On second thought, I'm currently sleep-deprived and generally not at my best. Probably NOT the best time for me to evaluate how a game is balanced :)
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

Kind of a spoiler...:
MobRules wrote:The goal is to either kill Raskash or level up five lawful human units within the 12 turns.
The main objective is to Try to defeat Rakshas and this doesn’t imply killing him. In mechanics of the scenario this condition is satisfied by one of a three:
  • 1. Reaching an area near Rakshas camp with any of your units.
    2. Attacking Rakshas personal guards.
    3. Defeating one of his generals.
Personally I never tried this since the alternate objective is much easier to achieve.
If the main objective is confusing please rephrase it better to make clear that to win you don’t have to defeat Rakshas.
MobRules wrote:I think it would bother me less if there were a REASON given for it being so short.
As for that matter three following scenarios have similar length on nightmare and there is also no explanation why. Also worth noting is that some scenarios have unlimited number of turns and there is no story reason for this either.

As always replay would be nice since it gives the complete image of the situation and encountered problems.

Thank you for your comment and interest!
groggyfroggy

Post by groggyfroggy »

Dear Forum.

Songs of Blood. Friggin Hëll, that was hard!

And I consider myself a seasoned veteran against the AI.

First round was a loooong gruesome battle. Faded away in the tunnels down southwest.

Second time, replayed the 2 scenarios before - saved gold and.... warning spoiler-time!

Had the 3 Spectres, the 2 Sourcerors, and 5 skeletons and 5 archers. The trick? Soulless things. Makes more zombies and stuff. Find the black master Vampire Bat and take it out. As said, bats are a pain in the gluteus maximus, but(t) also a source of levellers of skeletons. And making more zombie bats. Zombie bats can fly over things nicely and be an outflanking force. They are also actually good at taking out bats! Impact damage!

Having that said, it takes, for me, a looooong time. And the last part is the most difficult. The "Staff Holder". It took me a good fantastically huge amount of save and reloads to get the "item".

Halfway I hated the map.

Now I like it. But never again.

Cheers. (irl)
groggyfroggy

Post by groggyfroggy »

Now I have played it all.

A BIG thank You for a great (and long) time!

Now I have to get Tallinn NOT to take that fatal blow in clearing the mines...
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

Nice! :)
As for the battles there is not much to comment on due to lack of replays. :(

Right now there are two new releases planned:
For wesnoth 1.12 - 1.2.10 and 1.3.0 only for 1.13 (next stable version).
There will be also some bug fixes for 1.10 version. (1.2.7b). However it will be definitely the last update for this game branch.

The aim of current works on Northern Rebirth Remake is as follows:
The alternate branch will be slightly easier. (Addressing part of problems you have successfully overcome. :wink:)
Almost all levels from main branch will be reworked. Changes made in mainline has proven that no one is interested in preserving and fixing those levels.

Finally just a posting note: This what you consider spoilers you can put inside spoiler tag.

Thank you for your comments and interest!
egallager

Post by egallager »

Hi, I've been trying this campaign while also making a few changes of my own, and I've run into this weird issue where the recall list disappears in the second scenario... this means that both the {RECALL_SUPPORTER} macro no longer works, and that when trying to manually recall units, the game tells me that it "cannot recall at this location"... Any idea what's going wrong? Was it one of my own changes, or do other people experience it, too? My changes are here, for reference: https://github.com/cooljeanius/wesnoth_mods/tree/master/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth_Remake (I was playing on Wesnoth 1.14.14; using NRR 1.2.10)
Last edited by egallager on May 18th, 2022, 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

Confirmed. This is a bug caused by using a macro from planned 1.3.0 version of campaign. So, thank you for reporting it.
egallager

Post by egallager »

Could you please consider giving the campaign a different name and abbreviation than the one in mainline, to avoid confusion between the two? In my changes I changed "NR" to "NRR": https://github.com/cooljeanius/wesnoth_mods/blob/master/campaigns/Northern_Rebirth_Remake/diffs/_main.diff
egallager

Post by egallager »

Wesbane wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 10:52 pm Confirmed. This is a bug caused by using a macro from planned 1.3.0 version of campaign. So, thank you for reporting it.
So, I see 1.2.10a is now available on the 1.16 add-on server... is 1.3.0 still coming separately?
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

egallager wrote: So, I see 1.2.10a is now available on the 1.16 add-on server... is 1.3.0 still coming separately?
If this version will be made it will not be released on current stable since this, what is available, is a port made by someone else. :roll: It is not an official release.