Northern Rebirth Remake

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Passer2010

Re: Northern Rebirth Remake

Post by Passer2010 »

I was just playing Song of blood. And I found that the saved file cannot be loaded after about turn 115.
By the way, does anybody feel that the annoying bats are a little too many?
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

Passer2010 wrote:I was just playing Song of blood. And I found that the saved file cannot be loaded after about turn 115.
I discovered similar problem but it is not time related. It seemed to be caused by an event executed after destroying one of drake nests. To be sure of it save the game before you decide to do so. Destroy drake nest. Then check if auto saved game of a next turn is marked as corrupted if so that is the case. Oddly enough if you will load game from save you have just made and destroy drake nest as you previously did auto saved game after this point will be valid... At least this is how things were when I played it on 1.9.9. However I was unable to find anything suspected in the code of mentioned event that could be cause of described problem. Although its definitely unpleasant surprise it is not making level unplayable. For now status for it is: Consider it anti load feature. Sorry for that.
Passer2010 wrote:By the way, does anybody feel that the annoying bats are a little to many?
Unfortunately I doubt that at this unfinished stage of a project anyone will share thoughts about this aspect. In exchange I will provide you with technical information how many bats are on easy difficulty setting. From your earlier posts I assume that this is the one you are using.
AI controlled bat side resources:
The feeling that there is to many bats may be produced due to fact that map is much smaller then original one. Old map size was 8000 hexes. This map have only 2880. For reference note that largest maps in Northern Rebirth count 3600 hexes. If there is something worse than really huge map this is the huge map with no action, but this is only my opinion.
Anyway this level is rather complete. There will be very little changes made to it if any. And it is pretty worth to get through since after finishing it you will get a valid save from which it is possible to resume your quest. The only minor spike is that some level variables from Song of Blood will be not cleared.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

I've been playing though this for while now on Wesnoth 1.10.2 and here are my thoughts.

Hero is Dead: When I first played this scenario back when you first started making this, I found it practically impossible without Tallin as a Death Knight. I'm not sure if it's been changed since then or not, but I still play with Tallin as a Death Knight because the leadership ability is really useful. Getting the free skeletons is a nice touch, but they should either be loyal or level 2s, or something else to that effect. The way it is now, I think it's a little pointless since you get skeletons in the next scenario anyway.

Friendship Above All: Great intro. And I support you in changing the colors of the teams to match other scenarios (changing side 2 to be red). Other campaigns don't do that, which is unfortunate in my opinion. Overall I liked this scenario but had to deal with clean-up work at the end - I had killed all of Zlex's units and from there it was a boring march up to the enemy leader. I would suggest giving him a little more income so he can reproduce units more frequently once his army has been chopped down.

Weight of Revenge: Like the previous scenario, this one also has a boring march to the leader (only this time you can't kill him) so I think higher income would do well here too. As for dialog, most of it didn't play and Camerin's personality could be heavier.

Song of Blood: Those blasted bats!! They wouldn't be so bad if there was a source of healing in this scenario, but villages are very scarce. I think it should be set up so only one bat gets recruited in each tunnel every (or every-other?) turn. I haven't won this scenario yet because of the bats, but I look forward to continuing this branch :)
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

Hero is Dead
Pewskeepski wrote:I found it practically impossible without Tallin as a Death Knight. I'm not sure if it's been changed since then or not, but I still play with Tallin as a Death Knight because the leadership ability is really useful.
Since 1.0.3 when valuable find was added no other modifications were implemented that could affect difficulty in any way. However I can ensure that this level can be completed regardless of leader class or experience.
Although Death Knight is extremely useful since player do not possess any leveled units. Also Knight is quite decent fighter compared to other units with leadership and it is less vulnerable to impact. However other class allow to win this scenario much faster.
Pewskeepski wrote:Getting the free skeletons is a nice touch, but they should either be loyal or level 2s, or something else to that effect. The way it is now, I think it's a little pointless since you get skeletons in the next scenario anyway.
Well this is rather a level balancing feature than reward, but since you are not first to bring this topic and as was pointed out earlier it requires lot of effort to get it will be loyal at next release.

Friendship Above All
Pewskeepski wrote:Great intro.
Pretty long too, so Its cool to know that no one considers this an issue.
Pewskeepski wrote:And I support you in changing the colors of the teams to match other scenarios (changing side 2 to be red).
Ah! Color of the enemy! However I did this to distinguish that Tallin leads Malifor's armies now not his own. That's why his team color is teal.
Pewskeepski wrote:Overall I liked this scenario [...]
Thanks but I have a little share in this since whole tactical concept was left untouched. That is gold values, recruit list, units and so on are exactly the same as in Northern Rebirth.
Pewskeepski wrote:I had killed all of Zlex's units and from there it was a boring march up to the enemy leader. I would suggest giving him a little more income so he can reproduce units more frequently once his army has been chopped down.
I've noticed same thing, but I left it as is from following reasons:
  • 1. Rising an income will allow ai to field couple more units and in effect hold on for few turns longer. What will result in making next scenario also harder. More over sometimes invaders can strike your troops really hard so it is impossible to recover.
    2. I always opt to preserve original tactical concept of scenario or keep it close to original as much as possible if its not dumb.
    3. The only gain will be possibility to score few more experience points.
Anyway if that's what tells your designer sense, it can be increased but significantly only on harder difficulty levels since its quite important for beginners that opponents would finally run out of reserves.

Weight of Revenge
Pewskeepski wrote:Like the previous scenario, this one also has a boring march to the leader (only this time you can't kill him) so I think higher income would do well here too.
Why is that? Tallin good heart prevented you from this? Bad menace, no cookie! :D
This is achievable and I am surprised that after crushing opposing forces you didn't reach enemy leader. Actually if possessed forces are insufficient it is possible to just guard entrance to Malifor's chamber without risking too much.
As for rising income except reasons mentioned above this will make victory by killing enemy leader extremely hard. Playing as unit other than Death Knight I needed no less than 300 gold pieces to defeat enemy leader with acceptable losses on Nightmare – not loosing units that can't be replaced. And there was no time left. Also note that in certain circumstances foe never goes deeply negative that is he can always recruit. On side note there are only four levels in that branch that do not add any base income to ai. Nevertheless I will try that.
Pewskeepski wrote:As for dialog, most of it didn't play and Camerin's personality could be heavier.
Yes that is how things are since it depends on your actions in game world. Note that four dialogues will be always used, however this number can be increased to more than ten by good game on your side. That is more ruthless, cruel and aggressive. So, is there any good reason for flooding scenario that is so short with even more messages? As for heavier Camerin personality what do you mean by that? That is do he need to speak more often? Or his quotes should be entirely different?
Currently in this level there are 13 messages assigned to enemy leader. No less then 46 percent are special ones. His characterization in main branch is shown by: yeah, awww, fun and burn. What is already done. And this what is is fine since he is eccentric maybe a bit of a weirdo. But despite that he's behavior doesn't vary from that of normal people. That is you can communicate with him easily.
Should he speak more often than? To whom? His soldiers know what to do. To Malifor? Everything was told at beginning and it is unlikely that lich would bother to talk to conjurer. Tallin? Maybe he voluntary betrayed his men and allies to became mightiest of warriors, but now he's just a pure hate propelled marionette. So maybe Camerin could comment on situation on battlefield, but again why? Why he should do that more often then someone totally insane who's raving. Also note that Camerin has his special quotes in later scenarios.

Song of Blood
Pewskeepski wrote:Those blasted bats!! They wouldn't be so bad if there was a source of healing in this scenario, but villages are very scarce. I think it should be set up so only one bat gets recruited in each tunnel every (or every-other?) turn. I haven't won this scenario yet because of the bats, but I look forward to continuing this branch
Actually its already pretty much as you suggesting view AI controlled bat side resources in my previous post. Anyway if not bats you would complain that this is too easy and simply boring. So no I don't think I will change that. However again I can ensure that this level is absolutely doable even on Nightmare at no save/loads and it takes something about 150 turns to complete. All in all you should have a bunch of ghost to cover you. And its not so hard when you know how to do it.

Please reveal difficulty level at which you are playing since this is quite helpful information.

Thank you for your comment and interest!
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Wesbane wrote:I've noticed same thing, but I left it as is from following reasons:

1. Rising an income will allow ai to field couple more units and in effect hold on for few turns longer. What will result in making next scenario also harder. More over sometimes invaders can strike your troops really hard so it is impossible to recover.
2. I always opt to preserve original tactical concept of scenario or keep it close to original as much as possible if its not dumb.
3. The only gain will be possibility to score few more experience points.

Anyway if that's what tells your designer sense, it can be increased but significantly only on harder difficulty levels since its quite important for beginners that opponents would finally run out of reserves.
Maybe when Tallin says "I am... Curious... You are always that smart as Al'Tar was... Or its just... One of your better... Days..." or when the other messages play, the enemy could get some gold to provide a few more units to fight?
Wesbane wrote:Why is that? Tallin good heart prevented you from this? Bad menace, no cookie! :D
I'm sorry, I'll be a better menace next time. I promise ;)
Honestly though, the only reason I didn't attack him was because I knew he would get 1000 and the ability to recruit bandits, and I didn't want to risk losing any of my leveled units.
Wesbane wrote:As for heavier Camerin personality what do you mean by that? That is do he need to speak more often? Or his quotes should be entirely different?
Currently in this level there are 13 messages assigned to enemy leader. No less then 46 percent are special ones. His characterization in main branch is shown by: yeah, awww, fun and burn. What is already done. And this what is is fine since he is eccentric maybe a bit of a weirdo. But despite that he's behavior doesn't vary from that of normal people. That is you can communicate with him easily.
Should he speak more often than? To whom? His soldiers know what to do. To Malifor? Everything was told at beginning and it is unlikely that lich would bother to talk to conjurer. Tallin? Maybe he voluntary betrayed his men and allies to became mightiest of warriors, but now he's just a pure hate propelled marionette. So maybe Camerin could comment on situation on battlefield, but again why? Why he should do that more often then someone totally insane who's raving. Also note that Camerin has his special quotes in later scenarios.
Well, if Camerin dies early on, he's turned into a Royal Guard who obviously doesn't have this personality. The two leaders share a lot of their messages, which mostly work best for Rhodry, but not Camerin. He's less formal than some of the messages make him out to be, IMO.

Below is the current messages and the modified versions that I think Camerin would say. Most of the changes are just lines added on the end, but I still think it adds to his character and makes him more like he is in the good-branch. Thoughts?

"No, Tallin. I just can't allow to be defeated by an empty skulled menace like you..." - No, Tallin. I just can't allow to be defeated by an empty skulled menace like you. Prepare to burn!

"Men lets fry this dried corpse in our fury! This is gonna be fun!" - "Come on guys, lets fry this dried corpse in our fury! This is gonna be fun!"

"When I see now what you became, Tallin I almost regret that I will release you from this state... Almost traitor..." - "You once fought with me, Tallin, we killed trolls together! Because of our past I will almost regret sending you to hell... Almost, traitor..."

"We just need to break through remains of Malifors army and victory is ours! To battle!" - We just need to break through remains of Malifors army and victory is ours! To battle, but save some of those skeletons for me!

"Come here and fight with me Malifor puppet! If you do not fear..." - Come meet my fireballs Malifor puppet! You don't scare me!

I also just had a thought: It would be interesting if the leader of side 2 is passive only if he's Rhodry. If the leader is Camerin then it would set the team's AI to passive_leader=no. This would also add to Camerin's personality as he's the kind of guy whose going to jump at every chance he can get to fry someone. Although this may make killing the leader easier, I think that could be a good thing; if the player manages to keep Camerin alive in the previous scenarios then it will be slightly easier to get the bonus victory in this scenario.
Wesbane wrote:Actually its already pretty much as you suggesting view AI controlled bat side resources in my previous post. Anyway if not bats you would complain that this is too easy and simply boring. So no I don't think I will change that. However again I can ensure that this level is absolutely doable even on Nightmare at no save/loads and it takes something about 150 turns to complete. All in all you should have a bunch of ghost to cover you. And its not so hard when you know how to do it.
I just don't like having the bats coming at my rear, especially when there's no way to heal any of my troops. And I can't get any new ones due to having negative income though the entire scenario which results in such a negative amount of gold that it's useless when I find gold with the slain enemy leaders. Maybe remove the bat spawners when you pass by the tunnels they come out of so the player only has to worry about the enemy's attacking from his front? And no, I don't have a bunch of ghosts to cover me, unless you consider four (2 wraiths and 2 shadows) a bunch.

I'm playing on difficulty challenging, btw.
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

Friendship above all
Pewskeepski wrote:Maybe when Tallin says "I am... Curious... You are always that smart as Al'Tar was... Or its just... One of your better... Days..." or when the other messages play, the enemy could get some gold to provide a few more units to fight?
Yes its possible to modify mentioned event.
Advantages:
  • Low influence on balance of scenario. (Not so much an advantage in this case since as we agreed this made battle less interesting).
    Similar design to next scenario. (That is player may expect something like this later).
Disadvantages:
  • Similar design to next scenario. (Repetitive design).
    Conversation in that event is not threatening for player controlled side. At least I do not expected anything. (But maybe others perceived it differently).
Anyway I decided to rise income in both scenarios. This is a better approach since it results in giving player more opportunities to level up units and ai playing generally more aggressive. Surprisingly moderate income make game slightly easier.

Weight of Revenge
Pewskeepski wrote:Honestly though, the only reason I didn't attack him was because I knew he would get 1000 and the ability to recruit bandits, and I didn't want to risk losing any of my leveled units.
Tallin comment on this event in quite obscure fashion. Wasn't that information useful?
Pewskeepski wrote:Below is the current messages and the modified versions that I think Camerin would say. [...]
It will be modified to make it more like you suggested. You are right in this that Camerin call those on his side guys independently from circumstances. Fifth is very good reference to opening conversation of Clearing the Mines. Those two are nice variations so I included them in unchanged form. Third makes Camerin sound very sentimental. And that's really not his style. I mean like any other man he thinks that current condition of Tallin is fine fate for a traitor. Although well burned traitor is probably even better one? So, in the name of their old companionship he may at most blast him. And there's really no reason for making each response different. So I decided to not change that one for now.
Pewskeepski wrote:I also just had a thought: It would be interesting if the leader of side 2 is passive only if he's Rhodry. If the leader is Camerin then it would set the team's AI to passive_leader=no. This would also add to Camerin's personality as he's the kind of guy whose going to jump at every chance he can get to fry someone. Although this may make killing the leader easier, I think that could be a good thing; if the player manages to keep Camerin alive in the previous scenarios then it will be slightly easier to get the bonus victory in this scenario.
Leaders are not passive in this scenario. This is entirely due to new ai settings that disallow exposing them easily. Allowing such behavior would make eliminating them as you pointed out a trivial task. Although increasing their aggression at the end of battle might be interesting concept since it surely will make victory more costly.

Song of Blood
Pewskeepski wrote:And I can't get any new ones due to having negative income though the entire scenario which results in such a negative amount of gold that it's useless when I find gold with the slain enemy leaders.
This feature allow to rebuild army if something goes terribly wrong not to built it. And loosing a not very useful unit in level with limited number of villages is not so bad after all.
Pewskeepski wrote:I just don't like having the bats coming at my rear, especially when there's no way to heal any of my troops.
There is. You have more than enough units to cover injured ones. Those who do not fight rest.
Pewskeepski wrote:Maybe remove the bat spawners when you pass by the tunnels they come out of so the player only has to worry about the enemy's attacking from his front?
It is already possible in exactly same way like you handle other troublesome opponents. Although you need to find them.
Pewskeepski wrote:And no, I don't have a bunch of ghosts to cover me, unless you consider four (2 wraiths and 2 shadows) a bunch.
Its quite potent force. However for some reason you find it insufficient.
This information may spoil the fun. So ignore it if you really want to figure it out yourself for greatest possible satisfaction.
Song of Blood hints:
Slaanesh14509

Post by Slaanesh14509 »

Since I like the campaign (the evil/neutral path) is very good, except for the Text editing, I'll offer to edit at least part of it. Could you send me the simple text files, or do I need to look through the campaign files?

Oh btw, how about adding a turn limit of 200 to Song of blood?
Spoiler:
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

That's great although if you will start working on this finishing it would be most appreciated. As for the scope of a task string count is about 700, but it is not an exact number because some strings were removed or replaced. The best solution as you pointed out would be to provide you files including extracted quotes, since that have several advantages. Among other things it allow me to keep tabs on what was actually changed. Unfortunately there are no such files at the moment so you will have to wait for a while if you don't mind. It is most likely that I don't make them before 10 December.
Any further communication about this subject will be done via PM.
Slaanesh14509 wrote:Oh btw, how about adding a turn limit of 200 to Song of blood?
Constant leveling units is possible in almost all scenarios without turn limit. Actually in this campaign you can do similar thing in Pursuit scenario from main branch. However in Song of Blood on higher difficulty setting fighting longer than necessary doesn't pay off since you need a lot of gold to assault the Prison without losing valuable units.
So no I really don't think that there is any good reason for adding a time limit.

Specifying difficulty level at which you are playing is helpful. There is a pretty much difference in stating: I played this scenario and it is to easy than I played this scenario on easy and it is to easy. Since second provide more detailed information about situation when 'to easy' part occurred.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

BfW 1.12
NRR version="1.2.7"

Bug Report:
In scenario 2, the sighted,moveto events don't work well.
This event triggers when the first undead is recruited:

Code: Select all

# Flavour event on first sighting of the undead
    [event]
        name=sighted,moveto
        [filter]
            race=undead
            [filter_vision]
                viewing_side=1
            [/filter_vision]
        [/filter]
This event fires when the first dwarf is recruited:

# Meeting the dwarves, set new objectives
    [event]
        name=sighted,moveto
        [filter]
            side=4
            [filter_vision]
                viewing_side=1
            [/filter_vision]
        [/filter]
And I guess all the other sighted,moveto events will also not work with the new BfW version.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Adamant14 wrote:BfW 1.12
NRR version="1.2.7"

Bug Report:
In scenario 2, the sighted,moveto events don't work well.
This event triggers when the first undead is recruited:

# Flavour event on first sighting of the undead
    [event]
        name=sighted,moveto
        [filter]
            race=undead
            [filter_vision]
                viewing_side=1
            [/filter_vision]
        [/filter]
This event fires when the first dwarf is recruited:

# Meeting the dwarves, set new objectives
    [event]
        name=sighted,moveto
        [filter]
            side=4
            [filter_vision]
                viewing_side=1
            [/filter_vision]
        [/filter]
And I guess all the other sighted,moveto events will also not work with the new BfW version.
The viewing_side= key in the [filter_vision] tag has been removed since around BfW 1.11.7.
So from the case that Adamant14 pointed out, I think that changing it just to side=1 will probably solve the issue.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

SkyOne wrote:The viewing_side= key in the [filter_vision] tag has been removed since around BfW 1.11.7.
So from the case that Adamant14 pointed out, I think that changing it just to side=1 will probably solve the issue.
Yes, you are right SkyOne. After changing this key, everything works fine.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

The mentioned bug had been just fixed. Following scenarios were affected: 2, 5a.
Additionally edited version of Clearing the Mines scenario from wesnoth 1.13.1 was included.

Thank you for detailed bug report.
Maikal

Post by Maikal »

I've only played the evil branch so far on the easy difficulty, and song of blood was insane. It took me 216 turns and the loyal spectre Abhai had 9 AMLAs. I think it's pretty pointless for killing leaders/drake guards to give gold, because there is no access to villages until you kill all the spiders, so most players will be deep in debt because while a spectre can hold any corridor for eternity, he can't break through it without help which means you need to recruit/recall more units which means a lot of upkeep that you can't maintain. I was thousands of gold in debt, the gold gained from killing enemies didn't break that debt. Maybe make the excessive bat spawns occur after dealing with the spiders so that you don't have to have massive debt and a huge reliance on spectres. Also I only had 2 spectres because you can't recruit ghosts and of the three ghosts I got from malifor, I made two nightgaunts and the third one died, so I'm not sure if this scenario was balanced around the player only making shadows/nightgaunts, I imagine it would've been far harder had I not gotten that 2nd spectre. Lastly, I thought that the blood count description was worded poorly. It states that the counter is reduced for killing any living unit, so at first I thought I couldn't kill the tentacles/bats/trolls but very quickly found out that they didn't count.
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

Maikal wrote:[…] played the evil branch so far on the easy difficulty, and song of blood was insane. It took me 216 turns and the loyal spectre Abhai had 9 AMLAs.
Opinions about this scenario are mixed. Some find it too hard others too easy. Design of this level is based on mainline one, Ray of Hope. Since version 1.0.5 mechanics of the scenario hasn't been altered. As for 60 hp Spectre it is definitely an achievement. :wink:
Maikal wrote: Maybe make the excessive bat spawns occur after dealing with the spiders so that you don't have to have massive debt and a huge reliance on spectres.
The fact is you don't need to rely on them. Undead faction is the only faction in Wesnoth capable of powering it ranks without necessity of recruiting.
Level strategy:
Maikal wrote:I think it's pretty pointless for killing leaders/drake guards to give gold, because there is no access to villages until you kill all the spiders, so most players will be deep in debt because while a spectre can hold any corridor for eternity, he can't break through it without help which means you need to recruit/recall more units which means a lot of upkeep that you can't maintain.
In campaigns important is also the context of the scenario. Because time is unlimited the only way to force player to not linger and level up his army infinitely, as you did, is to give him an opportunity to grab some gold if he is fast enough. A gold much needed on higher difficulty to go through next level without throwing away valuable assets.
Because of scenario context providing replays from levels 6-8 wouldn't be a bad idea. Since it also will show how you build up your recall list.
While publishing all replays from the campaign is irrelevant for this particular problem still it is nice to watch someone playing for fun rather than absolute victory for a change.
If you would be so kind to show your progress through campaign just put all replays you want in single zip archive and attach to the post.
Maikal wrote:Also I only had 2 spectres because you can't recruit ghosts and of the three ghosts I got from malifor, I made two nightgaunts and the third one died, so I'm not sure if this scenario was balanced around the player only making shadows/nightgaunts, I imagine it would've been far harder had I not gotten that 2nd spectre.
This campaign as a whole concentrate on usage of skeletons. Shadows and Nightgaunts are useful late in game. As a matter of fact they are essential to win campaign on highest difficulty settings.
When it comes to this level I never tried different approach. I was always testing with one Nightgaunt and two Spectres plus another one. And most of the time an extra ghost you have mentioned.
Of course it is a good practice to keep your forces diverse to be prepared for challenges to come. Still however because keeping Malifor's gifts is not mandatory to advance further scenario may need some tweaks. For what you have stated I understand that the biggest problem is that spending a point of blood on killing an enemy leader might be not rewarding enough because it doesn't allow to recruit.
Game rules can be bend in this scenario to allow players after killing an enemy leader to spend all gained gold on additional troops. However due to insufficient feedback on the matter it is impossible to determine that this is necessary. Namely no one has ever proved that this level can't be completed without Malifor units.
Maikal wrote:Lastly, I thought that the blood count description was worded poorly. It states that the counter is reduced for killing any living unit, so at first I thought I couldn't kill the tentacles/bats/trolls but very quickly found out that they didn't count.
Below is the blood count description. Please post a corrected version which won't be confusing.
Points of Blood:
Thank you for your comment and interest!
Last edited by Wesbane on September 11th, 2016, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maikal

Post by Maikal »

Hi I'm afraid I don't have my replays saved, I disabled the option that saves replays because I never intended on rewatching my games hehe. I can see how the walking corpses might've made it a lot easier too, I did ultimately have an army of undead bats from my necromancer's plague, which sped the campaign up once I got a lot of them. As for the blood count description, reading it now it doesn't look bad. Maybe add a sentence under the fourth sentence that says "Killing other enemy units will not reduce this score."