After the Storm 0.10.18.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Would you play untested versions of IftU and AtS on Wesnoth 1.15.4+?

Poll ended at August 29th, 2020, 5:32 am

nah
10%
yee i can play on the latest wesnoth dev release
50%
i can play on wesnoth dev releases but no guarantees im going to be updating every time a new one comes out
10%
am big brain and can play on the wesnoth dev branch from git, who needs binary packages
10%
what the heck is wesnoth 1.15
20%

Total votes: 10

shevegen

Re: After the Storm 0.10.14 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Post by shevegen »

I am testing with the most recent 1.15 right now, and at the
"Quenoth Isle", I get through the discussion, but then it does
not continue. It is just frozen and remains there, after
having "played" all through the discussion at that isle.

This brings an idea: perhaps add a debug-option to allow players
to just pass through a scenario? Like a debug console or something?
Baldur's gate 2 had that; it was quite convenient. Right now I can not
continue with the campaign. Makes me a sad panda... :(

While I am on that, I noticed tons of problems in general with 1.15,
mostly minor ones, but spammy lua scripts. There should be some
way to remove the lua output too, something simple. I suppose this
will improve in the future but right now it is annoying when lua
errors appear and you can not get them away. I save the game,
then re-load it, and then the lua output is gone. :P
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Ah, I just noticed the "end scenario" option. Weird - never noticed it before.

Shows you how much I pay attention!

I suppose the script currently does not trigger it though, but I could work
around it and continue! \o/
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

shevegen wrote: May 1st, 2021, 5:23 am While I am on that, I noticed tons of problems in general with 1.15, mostly minor ones, but spammy lua scripts.
None of the deprecation warnings should show up in-game unless you have debug mode enabled. I know some people might still find that annoying, so let me explain why this is a thing still.

The devs ave made so many invasive API changes in 1.15.x that basically 90% of all Lua functions that are expected to work on Wesnoth 1.16.x but were already part of 1.14 (or even 1.12) emit a deprecation warning. In theory, we content authors should immediately rewrite that code to support 1.15.x without warnings, especially since the new APIs are supposed to be more proper and cleaner. All this sounds nice in theory for sure, but in the real world I want my campaigns to run on both 1.14.x (the stable series and thus the versions most players will use) and 1.15.x (the constantly-changing version we label as meant for crowd-sourced QA testing) without maintaining two separate versions of each one. Furthermore, most of the APIs replacing the deprecated ones are not meant to be used on 1.14.x if they exist at all (many don't, or have different signatures or semantics).

Thus I'm faced with a really annoying decision: either I can have my codebase work on both 1.14.x and 1.15.x with minimal version-specific changes, making a lot of noise if people decide to void the warranty and use :debug; or almost every single line of code needs to be doubled for compatibility with both 1.14.x and 1.15.x. Or the third option: I can make Naia even more bloated with a full fledged Wesnoth API wrapper that abstracts away all the stuff that the engine devs can't ever leave alone for a single development series out of a constant search for the holy grail of API design.

Because I value my energy and my sanity, I chose option 1 until I'm given a good reason to phase out Wesnoth 1.14.x support for good (very unlikely before 1.16 RC 1). Again, unless you are using debug mode you shouldn't see any deprecation messages in the game, unless I am using APIs that have already been completely phased out in 1.15.x* — I'll greatly welcome any reports for those.

Finally, it's possible to clear all chat messages by pressing Ctrl+X instead of reloading the game.

* Worth noting that there is something that was already phased out in 1.15.x due to a bug that nobody noticed until recently — unit advancement patching using [advancefrom] doesn't work. But that doesn't cause any in-game error messages, it just renders the Dwarvish Flamethrower advancement unavailable in IftU. There is also an issue with the loyal trait and the UI markers associated to it that's giving me an unending migraine right now because there is no clean way to solve it due to the design choices I made for both campaigns.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.10.15 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Post by Iris »

Version 0.10.15 is out!

This release primarily addresses an issue with Wesnoth 1.15.13 (coming soon) that causes fatal Lua errors during cutscenes, breaking the running script and leaving the game in an incorrect state. Related to this, a long-standing bug causing the game map to remain dark when pressing Escape in the middle of certain cutscenes is also fixed.

It also introduces a few minor changes to some Verlissh units:
  • Verlissh Matrix Flow System is now identified as Verlissh Matrix Structural in-game.
  • A new Energize ability has been added. Units possessing the ability provide a healing and resistance boost to adjacent allies possessing the biomechanical trait.
  • Verlissh Matrix Core now has the Energize ability (10 HP/30%~70% res).
  • Verlissh Matrix Structural now has the Energize ability (5 HP/15%~40% res).
  • Verlissh Matrix Core and Verlissh Matrix Structural have a name generator of their own.
On the subject of the AMLA list options causing the list to disappear in Wesnoth 1.15.12, I'm happy to inform that I figured out the cause and have already pushed an engine-side fix that will be part of Wesnoth 1.15.13 when it's out.

Finally, there is a new 1.15.x-specific issue (might be 1.15.13+-specific) where ambient sounds will not always play. It sucks, but I can live with it for the time being.

The complete changelog for this version of AtS follows:

Code: Select all

Version 0.10.15:
----------------
* General:
  * Update to Naia 20210430.

* Language and i18n:
  * Updated translations: Russian.

* Scenarios:
  * E3S11 - After the Storm:
    * Fixed Lua error on Wesnoth 1.15.13 and later.

* Units:
  * Enabled random name generation for Verlissh components for new
    playthroughs.
The complete changelog for the bundled version of Naia follows:

Version 20210515:
-----------------
* Language and i18n:

* Lua and WML library:
  * Fixed screen coloring/fade effects causing Lua errors with Wesnoth 1.15.13
    and later.
  * Fixed cutscenes resulting in incorrect screen coloring or black screens if
    skipped with Escape (issue #6).

* Units:
  * Added Energize ability.
  * Relabeled Verlissh Matrix Flow System to Verlissh Matrix Structural.
  * Gave Verlissh Matrix Structural the Energize+5/15% ability.
  * Gave Verlissh Matrix Core the Energize+10/30% ability.
  * Verlissh Matrix Core and Verlissh Matrix Structural can now have randomly
    generated names in campaigns that define `ENABLE_VERLISSH_MACHINE_NAMES`.
Have fun! 💜
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.10.16 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Post by Iris »

Version 0.10.16 is out!

Just a smol update addressing bugs in AtS E3S6 found by Konrad2 during his stream. No Naia changes this time around.

Version 0.10.16:
----------------
* Language and i18n:

* Scenarios:
  * E3S6 - Divergence:
    * Fixed Elynia saying good night after triggering a different dialogue if
      she is moved straight away from Anya to another character.
    * Fixed Igor becoming impossible to interact with after talking to Anya.
Have fun! 💜
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.10.17 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Post by Iris »

Version 0.10.17 is out!

Tiny update addressing issues caused by the addition of Fire Wraiths in Wesnoth 1.15.14 found by Konrad2 during his stream. No Naia changes this time around.

Version 0.10.17:
----------------
* Scenarios:
  * Fixed Fire Guardian summoning to account for Fire Wraiths in Wesnoth
    1.15.14 and later, including both event filtering fixes and balance changes
    to the innate buff for the summons.

* Units:
  * Increased Lumeril Guard's melee attack from 14-3 to 16-3.
  * Increased Lumeril Guard's ranged attack from 11-2 to 12-2.
Have fun! 💜
1234muse

Post by 1234muse »

Iris wrote: May 1st, 2021, 5:52 am Finally, it's possible to clear all chat messages by pressing Ctrl+X instead of reloading the game.
wait that's a thing?!?
I've been typing clear every single scenario for like 5 hours....
also for the longest time this series has been my favorite addon/campaign/whatever, and I've loved it the entire time,
I love how deep you dove into the wesnoth cosmology and so on.
again I cannot say enough how much I love this series, thanks for keeping it alive even if you aren't writing a sequel.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.10.18 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Post by Iris »

Version 0.10.18 is out!

This is very much not as exciting a release as it was originally supposed to be since things have kept me from working on stuff. Hopefully that stuff will still make the cut for the upcoming version 0.11.0 though, mostly because I don't want to release a 0.10.19 if I can help it (see below). Oh also this release was supposed to happen back in July but let's ignore that, shall we?

0.10.18 builds further upon the Fire Wraith business back from AtS 0.10.17 by bringing the Fire Wraith unit to Wesnoth 1.14, and... well...
If you have not completed the campaign before do not open this:
This release also fixes a pretty bad issue that caused save files and memory usage to grow enormously in size in late Episode 3, as well as causing Wesnoth to lock up for seconds or even minutes during attack sequences. haha what was that about a July release again

(Okay, if you read the IftU announcement already then you can skip the next two paragraphs.)

Quite importantly, for players on Wesnoth 1.15.x and the upcoming 1.16.0 release, this AtS update fixes several visible-by-default (not debug mode) deprecation warnings also shared with IftU. Additionally and this is important, it works around a serious bug with the Lua API in Wesnoth 1.15.13 through 1.15.18 causing sounds to be disabled by every cutscene that utilizes SFX (not music) fade-out/fade-in. On affected Wesnoth releases, the campaigns will simply skip the fade-out/fade-in for sound effects, which may cause abrupt or jarring transitions in some cases. I decided this was preferable to losing sound effects entirely. People on the upcoming Wesnoth 1.16.0 gold release will benefit from the fix to the engine's code and IftU and AtS will not skip the sound fade-out/fade-ins on that and later versions.

IftU 2.1.13 and AtS 0.10.18 are slated to be the last versions of the campaigns supporting Wesnoth 1.14.x. The 1.14.x versions may see a last update or two if some major bug comes up, but otherwise I plan to continue development of both for Wesnoth 1.16.x and 1.17.x instead. Wesnoth 1.14.x has been great but I can't keep supporting it without causing that barrage of deprecation warnings people have seen on 1.15.x/1.16.x, and maintaining two different versions of three codebases for a total of 6 (1.14!Naia, 1.16!Naia, 1.14!IftU, 1.16!IftU, 1.14!AtS, 1.16!AtS) just isn't a good use of my time these days.

Version 0.10.18:
----------------
* General:
  * Update to Naia 20211005.

* Language and i18n:
  * Updated translations: French, Russian.

* Scenarios:
  * Replaced Fire Guardian summoning with Fire Wraith summoning for an
    extra-crispy sensation.
  * E3S10 - Blood:
    * Changed Blood Core buffs to use `[object]` in order to fix an issue with
      them being purged by subsequent unit rebuilds.
    * Minor boss fight adjustments.

* Units:
  * Use the Wesnoth 1.15.3 implementation of the Daze weapon special on
    Wesnoth 1.16. This should fix an issue where one of the player characters
    may get buried under a pile of auxiliary Daze `[object]` modifiers in late
    Episode 3 scenarios.
  * Lumeril Glyph is now a Monster unit with the Elemental trait.
The complete changelog for the bundled version of Naia follows:

Version 20211005:
-----------------
* Language and i18n:
  * Updated translations: French, Russian.

* Lua and WML library:
  * Added `[effect] apply_to=level`.
  * Fixed `[clear_unit_stats]` affecting all on-map units and causing a late
    IftU easter egg to negate the undead trait for all undead units.
  * Dropped all instances of Formula AI features in unit spawners.
  * Disabled changing sound effects volume (not music) on Wesnoth versions
    1.15.13 through 1.15.18 because of a bug causing it to always be set to 0%
    when altered through the Lua API.

* Units:
  * Removed Fire Spirit, replaced with the mainline Fire Ghost.
  * Removed Spirit race, replaced with Monster + Elemental trait.
  * Backported Fire Wraith unit along with its advancement from Fire Guardian
    to Wesnoth 1.14.
Have fun! 💜
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.10.18.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Post by Iris »

Version 0.10.18.1 is out!

This is a 1.16-specific release including a fix for a reported issue that happens specifically when changing music mid-scenario when the playlist is empty (e.g. if Wesnoth’s core music is not installed). It also updates the startup check to allow the campaign to be played on Wesnoth 1.16 without warnings.

Have fun! 💜

Campaign changelog:

Version 0.10.18.1:
------------------
* General:
  * Accept Wesnoth 1.16.x.
  * Update to Naia 20211005.1.
Naia changelog:

Version 20211005.1:
-------------------
* Lua and WML library:
  * Fixed a crash in `[music]` that would happen if the current playlist
    is empty.
Cluckenstein

Re: After the Storm 0.10.18.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Post by Cluckenstein »

Hi, so i couldn't find a "bug report section" so i'll put it here. In AtS 3 Pass of the sorrows there is a red potion, and the Swordmaster unit (probably it's lower levels as well) from the Araghwaithi race is inapable of picking it up. I dont know if it's an intended feature, but it seems kinda lame that The Swordmaster is not a "unit that excells in mele combat" but forexample a footpad is.

Also if anyone could direct me to the correct topic where i should report this kind of thing i'd be very glad....
Eru_Iluvatar

Post by Eru_Iluvatar »

I'm about to begin another playthrough of what remains my favorite Wesnoth campaign, and I wanted to ask: what are we looking at in terms of an AtS 1.0? Not so much in terms of timing, but rather, what are the things that need to happen before that could become a reality? Is there a checklist of sorts, or is it more of a "know it when you see it?" Apologies if this has been addressed here before!
egallager

Post by egallager »

Eru_Iluvatar wrote: April 10th, 2022, 5:01 am I'm about to begin another playthrough of what remains my favorite Wesnoth campaign, and I wanted to ask: what are we looking at in terms of an AtS 1.0? Not so much in terms of timing, but rather, what are the things that need to happen before that could become a reality? Is there a checklist of sorts, or is it more of a "know it when you see it?" Apologies if this has been addressed here before!
Check the file TODO.md for the items marked [M]: https://github.com/project-ethea/After_the_Storm/blob/master/TODO.md
Edit: Actually never mind; I remember being told that that file is outdated now...
Last edited by egallager on July 8th, 2022, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wdfrodo

Post by wdfrodo »

I checked on the wiki for a walkthrough for this campaign and there wasn't one, should I make one or is there a reason for it not being there?
Lostsleepwalker

Post by Lostsleepwalker »

So first, this campaing is as awesome as I remember it!
Second, I have a question about one scenario in After the Storm - Final.
Spoiler:
Ceifer

Post by Ceifer »

Very great campaign! =)
Last edited by Ceifer on July 10th, 2022, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.