After the Storm 0.10.18.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Would you play untested versions of IftU and AtS on Wesnoth 1.15.4+?

Poll ended at August 29th, 2020, 5:32 am

nah
10%
yee i can play on the latest wesnoth dev release
50%
i can play on wesnoth dev releases but no guarantees im going to be updating every time a new one comes out
10%
am big brain and can play on the wesnoth dev branch from git, who needs binary packages
10%
what the heck is wesnoth 1.15
20%

Total votes: 10

newfrenchy83
Code Contributor

Re: After the Storm 0.10.11 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.4+]

Post by newfrenchy83 »

fr.zip
fr.po ats to 86%
(458.78 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
french translation of Ats to 86%
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Oh the vote is over. I'd test stuff! My only annoyance is with boost, indirectly, because
the latest boost versions seem to not work on wesnoth usually. I know way too little
about C++ to be able to help here, but I think when specific versions are necessary
that are not the latest release one, it may be useful if changelogs could include
that. (I always compiles from source on my linux system, so I am not the target
audience, but the advantage of this approach is that I never have to wait for
a distribution maintainer.)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

shevegen wrote: March 6th, 2021, 7:30 pm Oh the vote is over. I'd test stuff! My only annoyance is with boost, indirectly, because
the latest boost versions seem to not work on wesnoth usually. I know way too little
about C++ to be able to help here, but I think when specific versions are necessary
that are not the latest release one, it may be useful if changelogs could include
that. (I always compiles from source on my linux system, so I am not the target
audience, but the advantage of this approach is that I never have to wait for
a distribution maintainer.)
Every time Wesnoth won't compile with a newer Boost version that's a bug you need to report to us through the appropriate channels (Technical Support or https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues). Hence you will almost never find "Wesnoth won't compile with Boost X.YY" in the changelog — by the time there's a new release, game-breaking FTBFS bugs have almost always been fixed. We just can't predict in advance when they will crop up.

That's all kind of off-topic though. The poll was about releasing IftU and AtS on the 1.15.x add-ons server without prerelease testing against Wesnoth 1.15.x, for people already running development versions of the game. They've been out for about half a year now.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Hi,
Just letting you know that I integrated [amla_list] from Naia into my mod.
It's very handy. Thanks for writing it.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.10.12 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.4+]

Post by Iris »

Version 0.10.12 is out!

SO! I know everyone's excited about this new AtS release that's been a long time in the making! I've talked to many people over the years and some of the things I keep being asked are "When is EOL going to be released?" "Why was Flesh and Steel scrapped?" "When are you going to make that fabled water campaign?" "delete elynia plz" "Niryone campaign when?"

Thus I am delighted to say that on this day I've got really good news for you all! Today, for the first AtS release on the year 2021 of our lord and saviour the Easter Bunny, I've come with EXCITING NEWS!

Remember IftU release 2.1.6? Probably not, but let me refresh your memory...
Iris wrote:Version 2.1.6 was released as minor follow-up update (to version 2.1.5) rebasing IftU on top of Naia 20200810 and updating the Russian translation.
See that thing near the start of the announcement? Nobody thought it was a big deal at the time, right? Well, you were wrong! I never posted the IftU 2.1.6 changelog, so you had no way to know this, but there was actually one big important change in it!

Code: Select all

Version 2.1.6:
--------------
* General:
  * Update to Naia 20200810.

* Language and i18n:
  * Updated translations: Russian.

* Scenarios:
  * Removed no-op `recruitment_ignore_bad_combat` AI aspect.
  * S24 - Epilogue:
    * Record hero units' final stats.
See that at the end?

* S24 - Epilogue:
    * Record hero units' final stats.
All this time, people who completed IftU 2.1.6 and later were completely unaware that they were being watched. Yes, I have been watching your progress for months, and the things I have found out are truly a sight to behold. But most importantly, I have gathered objective evidence that even now, after all these years, Igor remains the most popular character among my fans! Who knew!

It is because of this that I am here today standing before this massive empty stadium (sanitary restrictions forbade me from inviting people sorry) to tell you that, for those who managed to keep the best character alive through the most grueling of experiences...

Igor is now a playable character in After the Storm!

Now, I don't want to get your hopes up. It would be silly to expect him to be a major actor throughout the full campaign considering the circumstances of the characters in it. But, if you keep him alive all the way to the end you might hear things you never heard before, that are 100% Pure Canon™! Trust me, it's worth it if you are a fan of Igor like everyone else in this empty stadium.

A word of caution, though: This feature is not currently synced with Steam Cloud, and the IftU stats will not be automatically carried from one computer to another, or from one Wesnoth branch to another (stable to dev). In order to actually record the heroes' stats, you must play at least the start of IftU scenario 24 ("Epilogue"). If you have completed any recent version of IftU (again, 2.1.6 or later) then you needn't worry about any of this, and our sweet precious goblin hero will join the party in AtS E1S1 as expected. If not, well, you have a new mission now. Go back and replay IftU to its very end ensuring Igor's survival all the way through. Do it.

Aside from the above, it's a pretty uneventful release, to be honest. It does contain a pretty crucial Wesnoth 1.15.x-specific bug fix (also part of IftU 2.1.10) which addresses Lua errors on certain terrain-altering sequences throughout the campaign, as well as whenever a Door unit is killed. Which probably means that without the fix, both campaigns where pretty much unplayable for the past couple of Wesnoth dev releases. Oops. Sorry.

Finally. this release sees the removal of obsolete or unmaintained translations: Spanish, French, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, and Turkish. This is specifically meant to avoid confusing people who would see those translations listed in the Add-ons Manager and then find out that they were barely usable in-game.

Translators are as always welcome to work with me, and the instructions can be found on the Ethea-i18n repository.

Note that this is likely to be the last AtS release supporting Wesnoth 1.15.4 through 1.15.10. I doubt anyone is actually impacted by this future change, though.

The complete changelog for this version of AtS follows:

Version 0.10.12:
----------------
* General:
  * Update to Naia 20210401.

* Language and i18n:
  * Updated translations: French, Russian.

* Scenarios:
  * Reintroduced Igor from IftU, available on E1S1 if he's alive at the
    beginning of IftU S24.
  * E1S11.2 - Return to Wesmere, part 2:
    * Fixed multiple dumb logic issues involving a faerie.
  * E3S3 - Amidst the Ruins of Glamdrol:
    * Force Nar-hamoth to flee if the player kills both enemy leaders first.
  * E3S8A - Interim:
    * Fixed incorrect object interaction with a brazier.
  * E3S11 - After the Storm:
    * Fixed a timing issue causing double text fade-out on Wesnoth 1.15.x.

* Units:
  * Units with the aqueous ability have any non-arcane resistances lower than
    10% raised to 10% (but not tripled) on applicable terrain.

The complete changelog for the included version of Naia follows:

Version 20210401:
-----------------
* Graphics:
  * Moved Igor's portrait from IftU to Naia.

* Language and i18n:
  * Removed obsolete translations below 80%: Hungarian, Italian, Japanese,
    Turkish.
  * Spanish translation excluded from snapshots due to being unmaintained, plus
    no phase 1 campaigns having a usable Spanish translation.
  * French translation not excluded from snapshots due to the AtS translation
    being actively developed (even though the IftU translation is largely
    unusable and unmaintained).

* Lua and WML library:
  * Allow translatable package names.
  * Add-ons now control Naia's prefix using the `NAIA_EMBEDDED` macro, only
    allowing a choice between shipping it in the add-on's folder under
    `./Naia`, or requiring it to be present in `~add-ons/Naia`. The Naia
    `[binary_path]` is now compulsory and handled by Naia as well.
  * `NAIA_PREFIX` and `NAIA_BINARY_PATH` are now defined by Naia and should
    not be defined by add-ons.
  * Fixed boss pop-up instantly disappearing on current 1.14.x and 1.15.x
    Wesnoth releases.
  * Fixed `[remove_terrain_overlays]` causing Lua errors in Wesnoth 1.15.x due
    to stricter parameter checks.

* Units:
  * Fixed defend only weapon special having the same internal id as attack
    only.
Have fun! 💚
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
xmal

Re: After the Storm 0.10.12 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.4+]

Post by xmal »

I played through the latest version and it's really one of a kind. There were a few bugs - something about an error with the number of units when
Spoiler:
and then also Durvan's side seems unable to recruit units and be a little wonky in general for some reason.. Also shroud seems to be off on some scenarios that are supposed to have it. I did use debug mode to make the gameplay faster in the first half of the campaign though, so I don't know if these are real bugs or not. Igor is delightful as always; I'd love if he'd appear at the very end as well if he survives (e.g. standing with
Spoiler:
)

This is one of my favorite Wesnoth campaigns for how ambitious its scope is (and the Elyssa-Elynia-Anya dynamic, which is great), but there are some elements that puzzle and/or bother me. Specifically:
Spoiler:
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

xmal wrote: April 29th, 2021, 5:59 am and then also Durvan's side seems unable to recruit units and be a little wonky in general for some reason.. Also shroud seems to be off on some scenarios that are supposed to have it. I did use debug mode to make the gameplay faster in the first half of the campaign though, so I don't know if these are real bugs or not.
Hi, could you go into more detail there? Like, which scenarios are lacking shroud when they should have it (and are you sure you did not remove shroud with the debug command)?
Also, what is the 'wonkiness' of Durvans side, beyond him being unable to recruit?

On top of that, it would be great if you could upload scenario save files of the affected scenarios.

PS: What Wesnoth version are you playing?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

xmal wrote: April 29th, 2021, 5:59 am I played through the latest version and it's really one of a kind. There were a few bugs - something about an error with the number of units when
Spoiler:
and then also Durvan's side seems unable to recruit units and be a little wonky in general for some reason..
Welp, that's a veeeeeery unfortunate oversight on my part. The check is there solely for debugging purposes from back when when I originally wrote the scenario and isn't necessary anymore. It can be fixed by removing the line containing this around line 907 of scenario E3S8B:

{BUG_ON ({VARIABLE_NUMERICAL_NOT_EQUALS heroes_store.length 5}) ("stored wrong number of units ($heroes_store.length|)")}
I'm not sure what the consequences of this are beyond the Light boss not spawning, but if you never managed to trigger the real final cutscene for the scenario and used :debug :n instead then there's a very good chance Durvan would remain stuck on side 1 instead of 2 from then onward. I assume this is what happened?

(I would release a fixed version immediately but then the Russian translator would hate me for not allowing him to update his stuff first.)
xmal wrote: April 29th, 2021, 5:59 amAlso shroud seems to be off on some scenarios that are supposed to have it. I did use debug mode to make the gameplay faster in the first half of the campaign though, so I don't know if these are real bugs or not.
(Refer to what Konrad2 posted above. It's also very important that you mention which version of Wesnoth you're playing on since there's quite a few issues specific to Wesnoth 1.15.x already.)
AtS ending spoilers:
xmal

Post by xmal »

The version is 1.14.15. I see why Durvan's side was weird now; it's because I basically skipped past Dark Sea in part 3 by killing all the enemy leaders before turn 10 when he shows up for the first time as a separate side. The only "real bug" was the one with the number of units message in that one scenario, which you've got all figured out. The shroud issue was because I had set a unit to have ridiculously high max moves.
Spoiler:
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.10.13 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Post by Iris »

Version 0.10.13 is out!

This release mainly addresses various relatively small bugs found by Konrad2 during his live IftU and AtS playthrough on Twitch (channel link here). It also addresses a few Igor-related issues that have been reported since 0.10.12 — including among others the aforementioned oversight that would cause a serious script break late in E3S8B.

There are a few gameplay-impacting changes as well but you already know that if you read the IftU announcement.

Again on the subject of Igor, it's worth noting that him being able to smuggle items from IftU into AtS is more or less intentional since you can't transfer them to other characters anyway. What is decidedly not intentional is him being able to extend the lifespan of the Innuendo and Dark Hive items since those are on a different tier entirely (this especially applies to the Dark Hive item).

Do note that from this release onwards, Wesnoth development versions earlier than 1.15.12 are no longer supported.

Version 0.10.13:
----------------
* General:
  * Dropped support for Wesnoth versions 1.15.4 through 1.15.11.
  * Update to Naia 20210430.

* Graphics:
  * New or updated unit graphics: Elvish Avatar.

* Language and i18n:

* Scenarios:
  * Made it so map labels are removed before specific cutscenes.
  * E1S1 - The Skirmish:
    * Igor can no longer smuggle items from IftU S21 through S24 into AtS.
  * E1S3 - Civil War in the North:
    * Fixed Igor not teleporting along with the other heroes at the start.
  * E3S8B - Destiny, part 1:
    * Fixed Igor's presence triggering a BUG condition.
  * E3S11 - After the Storm:
    * Igor now shows up in the cutscene if he is still alive at this point.

* Units:
  * New unit type descriptions: Naiad.
  * Demon Messenger, Demon Spelldancer, Demon Stormtide, Demon Hellbent Tide,
    Demon Slashing Gale, and Errant Executor can now receive the Fearless
    trait.
The complete changelog for the bundled version of Naia follows:

Version 20210430:
-----------------
* Language and i18n:

* Lua and WML library:
  * Added `[remove_trait]` WML action.
  * Added `[clear_unit_status]` WML action.
  * Added `[clear_map_labels]` WML action and `CLEAR_LABELS` macro.
  * Made it possible for `PICK_UP` not to remove the map item.

* Units:
  * Fixed Chaos Cardinal's arcane ranged attack missing an animation.
  * Gave faeries their own movetype instead of piggybacking on woodlandfloat.
  * Increased Faerie Sprite and Fire Faerie's fire resistance from 10% to 20%.
  * Increased Fire Faerie's cold resistance from -10% to 0%.
  * Increased Faerie Dryad's fire resistance from 20% to 30%.
  * Increased Faerie Spirit's cold resistance from 0% to 10%.
  * Increased Faerie Spirit's forest defense from 60% to 70%.
  * Increased Shaxthal Drone's cold resistance from -10% to 0%.
  * Increased Shaxthal Drone's fire resistance from -20% to -10%.
  * Increased Shaxthal Sentry Drone's fire resistance from -20% to -10%.
  * Added Testament ability.
  * Added Mark weapon special.
  * Renamed Burrow ability/weapon special to Bore to fix warnings in Wesnoth
    1.15.9 and later caused by the addition of a different Burrow ability to
    mainline.
  * Added Faerie Hamadryad.
  * Demon, Demon Zephyr, Demon Grunt, and Demon Warrior can now receive the
    Fearless trait.
Have fun! 💜
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

xmal wrote: April 30th, 2021, 1:23 am The version is 1.14.15. I see why Durvan's side was weird now; it's because I basically skipped past Dark Sea in part 3 by killing all the enemy leaders before turn 10 when he shows up for the first time as a separate side.
I mean, that's exactly what you are required to do. Unless you mean you did it in a nonstandard fashion (a.k.a. debug mode) which skips death events.
Spoiler:
xmal

Post by xmal »

Iris wrote: April 30th, 2021, 7:49 am I mean, that's exactly what you are required to do. Unless you mean you did it in a nonstandard fashion (a.k.a. debug mode) which skips death events.
The objectives as they're stated (and as they played out when I played through this part of the campaign "normally" on a previous version) just say you have to occupy a particular enemy keep (the second closest one, out of four) and have no enemy units on it by turn 10. It seemed to be impossible or at least very difficult to kill all the enemy leaders that quickly without cheating. (Though if you could, then my experience would pose a problem.) After that the shroud lifts and a huge number of extra enemies appear, along with Durvan's side arriving. Then you can either survive til end of turns or kill off all the enemies (early finish bonus).

What I mean is that I killed all enemy leaders before turn 10 (by cheating via debug mode), and then the scenario just ended (with the typical Ergea dialogue, same as if you kill off all the enemies after turn 10). So no extra enemies arriving, no arrival of Durvan's side. Does this not match what the intention was?

By the way, another aspect of the Igor in Destiny pt. 1 bug that I didn't explicitly mention was that he also doesn't get transported to the room with the lumeril guys, just stays back in the other part of the fortress - in case you didn't already catch that.
saklas

Post by saklas »

Iris wrote: April 29th, 2021, 9:15 am
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

xmal wrote: April 30th, 2021, 3:17 pm The objectives as they're stated (and as they played out when I played through this part of the campaign "normally" on a previous version) just say you have to occupy a particular enemy keep (the second closest one, out of four) and have no enemy units on it by turn 10.
Yeah sorry, you are correct. In my defense I have a cold and had a big headache when I posted that. 😂

I can see that the scenario blindly decides it's victory time when all enemy leaders are defeated regardless of the current turn instead of only from turn 10 onwards, so yeah... That's very unlikely to happen but it will indeed break things horribly for future scenarios. Funny that I placed multiple safeguards in these scenarios but it never occurred to me to check for that particular thing.
xmal wrote: April 30th, 2021, 3:17 pm By the way, another aspect of the Igor in Destiny pt. 1 bug that I didn't explicitly mention was that he also doesn't get transported to the room with the lumeril guys, just stays back in the other part of the fortress - in case you didn't already catch that.
Thanks for reporting this. That would be another oversight with him, hopefully the last one.
Spoiler:
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.10.14 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Post by Iris »

Version 0.10.14 is out!

This addresses the issues above and also changes the implementation of Elynia's animations used in E1S6.1 and E2S8 so that she doesn't have to temporarily be replaced with a dummy unit that doesn't have her AMLAs, thus fixing an issue reported by Konrad2 where her XP bar suddenly changes colour mid-scene. I also just found out that the animations occasionally play wrong or not at all due to Wesnoth's top quality animation engine randomly deciding that it needs to drop frames or something — apparently only when Preferences → Display → Limit FPS is on, which it is by default to keep people from frying their laptops or ending up with millionaire power bills — so that's great too.

Version 0.10.14:
----------------
* Language and i18n:

* Scenarios:
  * E3S7B - Dark Sea:
    * Fixed a rare bug where the player defeating all enemies before turn 10
      would result in early victory and incorrect player configuration for
      subsequent scenarios.
  * E3S8B - Destiny, part 1:
    * Fixed Igor ending up stuck outside the boss room.

* Units:
  * Reworked the implementation of Elynia's animations used in the E1S6.1 and
    E2S8 cutscenes so her regular playable unit type is used instead of a
    cutscene-specific dummy.
Have fun! 💜