After the Storm 0.10.18.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Would you play untested versions of IftU and AtS on Wesnoth 1.15.4+?

Poll ended at August 29th, 2020, 5:32 am

nah
10%
yee i can play on the latest wesnoth dev release
50%
i can play on wesnoth dev releases but no guarantees im going to be updating every time a new one comes out
10%
am big brain and can play on the wesnoth dev branch from git, who needs binary packages
10%
what the heck is wesnoth 1.15
20%

Total votes: 10

IceTyp

Re: After the Storm 0.10.11 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.4+]

Post by IceTyp »

I found something strange in scenario Fate of Episode 2 in version 0.10.11 on Wesnoth 1.15.4.
Spoiler:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Turns out there's a bug with unit type variations not working in multiple (all?) situations in Wesnoth 1.15.4, and not just in these campaigns — the Walking Corpse unit line is presumably affected as well.

The issue will be fixed in 1.15.5, but in the meantime a lot of things will be plain broken, especially in Episode 3.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
akshayg95

Re: After the Storm 0.10.10 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by akshayg95 »

Iris wrote: August 19th, 2020, 4:02 am
akshayg95 wrote: August 18th, 2020, 3:50 am After almost 10 years I see this Campaign once again in the latest Version of Wesnoth. Lucky me to check the add-on updates in the game after like 2 yrs. Will certainly love playing the three chapters once again. Faintly do remember 10 yrs ago that it was awesome/ :D
10 years ago only E1 up to E1S9.2 existed, so I wonder how you managed to get hold of all three episodes three years before the finale (E3S6 - E3S13) was released in March 2013. 🤔
akshayg95 wrote: August 18th, 2020, 3:50 am Btw, @Iris, does this mean the work on Silver Lands is going to resume? :O
The Silver Lands was abandoned by its author along with Wesnoth itself about 6-7 years ago, my involvement with its development was merely that of a story consultant, and it was built upon an obsolete version of the AtS storyline which ultimately never came to be. I wouldn't expect anything to happen on that front, not even in the far future. (A similar case could be made for Shadows of Deception, but the jury's still out on that one I guess.)

Ultimately only the campaigns hosted as part of Project Ethea are my responsibility, and right now that's only IftU and AtS since those are the only ones that have received my blessing as a writer and designer.
I may have exaggerated the exact time. My bad. It almost feels as if I've played this campaign a loooooong time ago. Much has changed. Either ways, I am enjoying replaying it.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Iris wrote: August 31st, 2020, 12:56 pm Turns out there's a bug with unit type variations not working in multiple (all?) situations in Wesnoth 1.15.4, and not just in these campaigns — the Walking Corpse unit line is presumably affected as well.

The issue will be fixed in 1.15.5, but in the meantime a lot of things will be plain broken, especially in Episode 3.
Wesnoth 1.15.5 is out along with the fix. Hopefully there shouldn't be any new game-breaking issues, but if you find any make sure to post here so I can look into fixing them/getting the devs to fix them.

(I still recommend playing on 1.14.x if it's your first time playing through these campaigns.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Hi!

I'm thinking of assigning hotkeys for my mod's set_menu_item. For now it is:

Code: Select all

[default_hotkey]
                        key=b
                        shift=yes
                [/default_hotkey]
I noticed that in your changlog it says:

* Don't bind a hotkey for the Summon Fire Guardian menu item since it gives
      the game engine an existential crisis when switching scenarios in the
      same session.
I'm not sure what that meant or what the ensuing problem was exactly. Could you clarify please?
As a UMC dev, is it not recommended to assign hotkeys in a UMC because it will raise problems down the line?

Thanks
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Kind of.

AtS' case was very specific. The menu item in question was bound to the same default hotkey as the game's Recruit action because in the scenarios where the menu item exists the player is completely unable to recruit — even if they do come across keeps, their recruit list is empty and gold set to 0. Unfortunately, and this is probably more of a general thing regardless of what the key sequence is, bindings involving menu items persist in the hotkey management code until Wesnoth exits. When switching to scenarios where the menu item with that id doesn't exist (either via the normal game flow, with [endlevel], or Load Game, regardless of whether you went through the main menu first or not), the key sequence would remain unavailable for use with any other menu items or predefined game UI commands because it's still assigned to a ghost command that doesn't currently do anything.

While this particular case was more of an issue because it overrode a default hotkey for a built-in game action, once you take into account the fact that players can assign any number of custom hotkeys to as many actions as they want, and that Modifications may add their own menu items and you have no way to control that, you may find yourself discouraged from assigning default hotkeys to menu items at all. It may be good enough a compromise for the general case to just make sure that whatever hotkeys you choose are not used in vanilla Wesnoth by default.

(In general, Wesnoth's handling of game state transitions is embarrassingly bad for a game that's been supporting player-made add-ons for 16 years and this is just one more issue to add to the list.)

I haven't filed a bug about this whole thing because I don't feel that subjecting my use case to the standard development committee process (which is a thing that's existed for way longer than people think) is a good use of my time. Ideally I should just be able to tell the game to let me handle the Recruit action so I can do whatever I deem necessary without having to adhere to the game's standard ruleset that requires people to have gold and at least one leader unit standing on a keep that's directly or indirectly connected to at least one vacant castle tile.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

I should have checked the commit log for more details before posting here, but thank you for taking the time in explaining it. It was very informative.
newfrenchy83
Code Contributor

Post by newfrenchy83 »

fr.zip
Ats translation to 88%
(449.12 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
fr translation of Ats completed to 88%.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Hi,

I've been playing AtS 0.10.11 in 1.14 and I am not able to receive the fountain faerie in E3S2.1.

As far as I can tell, the faerie's stats are not stored in the savefile after E1S11.2, but kept in memory. Does that mean that if I quit Wesnoth or reload a save in between E1S11.2 and E3S2.1, I won't be able to get the faerie?

I'm not familiar enough to Lua or debugging to be able to check the "global store" in-game, so I could be completely off-base.

Great campaign(s), by the way. I think that AtS is sometimes a bit too dense with the lore, but that's an artistic choice and works much of the time.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

blackjack wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 4:46 am I've been playing AtS 0.10.11 in 1.14 and I am not able to receive the fountain faerie in E3S2.1.

As far as I can tell, the faerie's stats are not stored in the savefile after E1S11.2, but kept in memory. Does that mean that if I quit Wesnoth or reload a save in between E1S11.2 and E3S2.1, I won't be able to get the faerie?
She is removed from the game at the start of E1S11.2 while a copy of her is stored in the persistent store, so she should be present in E3S2.1. If she isn't, I'd like to have a look at the start-of-scenario saves for both scenarios in case I did something wrong.

All that said, it's worth noting that if you decide to recall her in E1S11.2...
Spoiler:
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

yes, I did not recall her in E1S11.2

here are some save-files:
Attachments
AtS-3-Return to Raelthyn.gz
(14.65 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
AtS-1-Return to Wesmere — Part 2.gz
(25.83 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
-Voltaire
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

I think that the "persistent store" isn't really that persistent - it goes away in between sessions. That works when you are transitioning from the end of one episode to the next, but not when the gap is very large. And if the info is not in the savefile, it won't be transferable.
-Voltaire
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

blackjack wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 6:10 am I think that the "persistent store" isn't really that persistent - it goes away in between sessions. That works when you are transitioning from the end of one episode to the next, but not when the gap is very large. And if the info is not in the savefile, it won't be transferable.
That shouldn't be the case. The same mechanism is used for Elynia's stats, for example, and I've tested that in particular multiple times as part of the AMLA tree task. The whole point of the persistent store is that variables can be stored on disk for later retrieval without having to carry state in saved games.

Right now it seems that the code that tries to find the faerie in the recall list to put her away doesn't manage to match a single unit. Apparently I tried to be too clever for my own good and this won't actually execute the Lua function on recall list units, or if it does it's not a valid operation:

[store_unit]
            [filter]
                side=1
                race=faerie
                x,y=recall,recall
                lua_function="ats_unit_swam_in_fountain_of_courage"
                [not]
                    id=Elynia
                [/not]
            [/filter]
            kill=yes
            variable=courage_user_store
        [/store_unit]
Screenshot_20210222_033654.png
EDIT: Nope, it turns out the only unit it tries to match is... Elynia. Since she's the only extant faerie that exists on the map.

EDIT 2: The fix, which will be in the next release, is to replace the code above in episode1/scenarios/11_Return_to_Wesmere_part_2.cfg with:

[store_unit]
            [filter]
                side=1
                race=faerie
                x,y=recall,recall
                [not]
                    id=Elynia
                [/not]
            [/filter]
            kill=no
            variable=faerie_store
        [/store_unit]

{VARIABLE faerie_found no}

[foreach]
            array=faerie_store
            variable=faerie
            [do]
                [foreach]
                    array=faerie.modifications.object
                    [do]
                        [if]
                            {VARIABLE_LEXICAL_EQUALS this_item.id fountain_of_courage}
                            [then]
                                {UNIT_TO_GLOBAL_STORE "$faerie.id" episode1_stats_fountain_faerie}

{VARIABLE faerie_found yes}

[break][/break]
                            [/then]
                        [/if]
                    [/do]
                [/foreach]
                [if]
                    {VARIABLE_BOOLEAN_EQUALS faerie_found yes}
                    [then]
                        [break][/break]
                    [/then]
                [/if]
            [/do]
        [/foreach]

{CLEAR_VARIABLE faerie_found,faerie_store}
And incidentally it was pretty dumb of me to expect UNIT_TO_GLOBAL_STORE to work with a unit that's purportedly been removed from the map. I must've done some really questionable testing here.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Thank you, the fix worked. To be precise, I edited the .cfg file, replayed the last move of S1E11.1 (to make sure the new scenario file was used), ended the first move of S1E11.2 (to fire the event), and then loaded S3E2.1 savegame.

I still have some lingering thoughts about what would happen if I were playing the game on multiple computers, but that is a discussion for another day.
-Voltaire
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

blackjack wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 1:08 pm I still have some lingering thoughts about what would happen if I were playing the game on multiple computers, but that is a discussion for another day.
The persistent store isn't synced between computers, nope, and neither are the game preferences or credentials. I could bring it up with the project admins to see if it's possible to sync the persistent store using Steam Cloud, but non-Steam players would be still out of luck.