SXC Development

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nuorc
Forum Regular

Re: SXC Development

Post by nuorc »

I updated. I had hoped I could just continue from my save and the abilities would be repaired. That is not the case. Should it? Or do I have to start a new game?
I have a cunning plan.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

As they're single-scenario games, I'd recommend starting a new one.

But if you're prepared to hack the old save file in a text editor, it's fixable:
  • Start a new game to get a file with the fixed version of the megacures and megaregen events.
  • Open the new file and find the line ability="sxc_megacures,sxc_minorcures". There's two of these lines (one's the game, the other's the replay), it doesn't matter which one you use as they're identical.
  • Copy everything from the [event] tag above that line until the second [/event] tag below that line (the second tag, as you need to copy the megaregen event too). The indentation should make them easy to find.
  • Open the broken file, find the same line, and replace the broken events with the fixed version. In this file, you do need to replace both copies (or work out which one is the game and which is the replay).
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

I gave editing the file a try but I guess I didn't get it right. In a newly started game it works correctly.

What happened to the objectives? I remember in 'Advanced' it was 'kill all units of side x until turn y, afterwards you get no gold...', but it's not there anymore.
I have a cunning plan.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

There's two maps with very similar names: Advanced and Adventure.

Only five of the maps use that "cashstop" mechanic, and it shows up in the objectives of those five: Adventure, Isar's Crossfire, Rumble, Stronghold and System.

Advanced doesn't use "cashstop", but does respawn the bosses of sides 6, 7 and 8 from time to time, making them a bit stronger each time. Once you're strong enough to kill boss 9, even the respawned versions of the earlier bosses shouldn't be much problem on that map.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

I know which map is 'Advanced' and how to play it. ;p

I was quite certain I remember those pesty drakes that don't give me gold... Oh well.

Another small thing: I get an error message

Code: Select all

[race] " is missing a plural_name field. (2)
I've got two (Loyalist) White Mages/MoL and two Elvish Captains/Marshalls (and a dark sorcerer/lich).
I have a cunning plan.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

That's a good error report, but sadly it's a bug in Ageless Era that triggers regardless of which units you're using. https://github.com/ProditorMagnus/Agele ... /issues/28
daniel.santos

BUG: Soulstealer broken!

Post by daniel.santos »

Hello. I'm not sure why, but soulstealer is broken. For some reason, the ABILITY_SXC_SOULSTEALER_EVENT macro is defined with a [filter_second] ability=sxc_3 instead of sxc_soulstealer. This is in my ~/.config/wesnoth-1.14/data/add-ons/SXCollection/macros/SXC_abilities.cfg:

Code: Select all

#define ABILITY_SXC_SOULSTEALER_EVENT
  [event]
    name=die
    first_time_only=no
    [filter_second]
      ability=sxc_3
    [/filter_second]
EDIT: This is on wesnoth 1.14.15 in Debian unstable. Do wesnoth add-ons have a shasum to make sure the compressed archives isn't corrupted upon xfer? This type of thing could be a corrupted entry of the compressed file pointing to the wrong dictionary object -- that is, if this error is not also in the source repo.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Could you try deleting and re-downloading the add-on, please? The file seems OK in the archive on the server, and OK when I install it via Wesnoth's download manager.
daniel.santos

Post by daniel.santos »

octalot wrote: July 11th, 2022, 10:23 am Could you try deleting and re-downloading the add-on, please? The file seems OK in the archive on the server, and OK when I install it via Wesnoth's download manager.
Well that's a good point. But more importantly, if that fixes the problem then this is an ugly bug in Wesnoth because it means people will have intermittent problems, report them as bugs and devs (and sometimes users) will be wasting time figuring out the cause. It would also be bad for Wesnoth's public perception.

I should have reported the version, which is 0.2.128.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

If it's only occurred once, and we don't know whether the problem was on the server, in the download protocol, or on your system, then it's hard to track down. I believe there's at least two checksums in the network protocol, but that doesn't narrow down which end it occurred on. There would be other checksums in a networked multiplayer game, which would hint at which unit's ability didn't match up.

I feel that all software has bugs, and if it's a one-off then there are more important bugs to work on.
NanoKnight

Post by NanoKnight »

Application for QoL improvement for SXCollection, what this does is simply add a small red diamond icon as an overlay over the green HP bar over moving bosses, not stationary ones which are quite obvious they're bosses already. Changelog from the current SXC version: Just 1 line is added in sxc_unit_macros.cfg file, which is an "overlays= " entry with the path to the moving boss overlay image, and the boss overlay image itself. The 2 Files: https://we.tl/t-jRSb2XNKyz Screenshot of the line changed: https://prnt.sc/urAqx9ZUBCJj

Motivation for this: Got caught off guard 1 too many times by a moving boss I thought was a normal mob, lol.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

NanoKnight wrote: April 9th, 2023, 11:42 am Application for QoL improvement for SXCollection, what this does is simply add a small red diamond icon as an overlay over the green HP bar over moving bosses, not stationary ones which are quite obvious they're bosses already.
Thanks, I'm wondering if removing the gold loyal marker from the normal mobs would fix things, and I'm working on that. That will leave the stationary guards, mobile guards and minibosses with silver crowns. Would a special marker for mobile guards and minibosses to separate them from stationary guards be helpful to too much?

The we.tl site wants me to agree terms and conditions just to show the image, which I don't feel like reading.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Nice to see there's still activity here. When I played BfW in the last years it was SXC...
I have a cunning plan.
IPS

Post by IPS »

I just wanted to mention few things, even if I'm not an intensive SXC RPG player since 1.6 or 1.8 wesnoth times, but just want to talk a little more about SXC RPG in actuality :eng:

Ageless Era is actually having a lot of interesting specials (such as EoMa +magic-counter) which decreases +magical and +enchanted attacks to 50% , this could be quite useful for swift foot bosses to be more dodgy againist magical attacks. There was also added a +Greater-marksman (80% marksman) from EoMa as well. +Skilled is more known but it's offensive/defensive marksman (60%).

Other thing that I've realized is that there is actually a hole with UTLB damage types that aren't the 6 basics (arcane, blade, fire, cold, pierce and impact), as some units are ridicously too strong because bypasses last boss ressistances with this attack types. I even managed to decrease stats and specials on this attack types because they're extremely unfair in RPG envoiroment (working at both Ageless and EoMa team) , so on that case at least things are more stable at any type of RPG ^_^

Not less important, in SXC RPG in latest versions is way too easy to mass ressistances to only the last boss attack types making it way much easier to kill than mid game strong mobs... I think you might consider doing two things to fix this: first, adding more attacks with more damage types, so players can't really spend all their few ressistances to just inmunize to last boss ... second, giving EFM decay aura to last boss , meaning that when next to this unit all non arcane ressists will get lowered by -20% , meaning almost anything will deal more damage to players when next to last boss.

I still watch some SXC RPG games in lobby and having some fun while spectating, but sincerely I'm not really much motivate to try it myself because the balance is bit too rare to me (shop weapons are TOO strong in early game, basically you can give any special to even shop weapons, not like buying a 3-3 net impact for massive 110g as on first versions) , but yeah, I still some olddest scenarios settings.

I personally think, if a day more SXC RPG gets continued development would like to see even some essence of the old SXC RPG essence comibined of newer scenario with newest features, that would be so great to view :mrgreen:
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

During investigation of viewtopic.php?p=684864#p684864 I found that SXCollection ./macros/SXCmacros.cfg: allow_era="Ageless Era,Ageless Heroes,Ageless RPG Era,Ageless Union,DefaultAgeless Union,Default Union" should be changed to force_modification="AE_units_loader"